Irish Bar

binnsy

Did Richard and Darrens place, the PUB open in March as had an invite to the opening but was flying back that day, no mention of this place since, it is next to book and bed, soi vong tong, peters old place.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has followed the others open sometimes but more often than not it is CLOSED.

Thought that would happen, the guy Richard, it was his first time to Thailand and opened a bar :) , for his mate to run.

maybe another white elephant.

I hear that paddy has gone back to Ireland, to look for a 4 leaf clover, he needs it.

When in Business you have got to be open if you like it or not, you are providing a service for the customer, who in the end pays the bills, no customers, no Buisness, when you loose one 100% chance they will not be back.

Thought that would happen, the guy Richard, it was his first time to Thailand and opened a bar :) , for his mate to run.

I hear that paddy has gone back to Ireland, to look for a 4 leaf clover, he needs it.

When in Business you have got to be open if you like it or not, you are providing a service for the customer, who in the end pays the bills, no customers, no Buisness, when you loose one 100% chance they will not be back.

As I have said so many times before, there are so many Falangs that think opening a bar is so easy. But, when they come to count their takings for the first week, if they have not made 100,000 baht then they get disgruntled. After the first month, if they are not millionairs by then they start getting slacker and slacker, handing over most of the Farang duties to the Thai members of staff, and that is where the spiral downward really begins. Here at the Farang Connection, it has taken six years of hard work ( not six days,weeks or months)and now we can finally say we are making money. Next comes paying off the debts we have accrued in that time. We have finally reached a stage where we are busy every single day, and we are getting more and more regular customers. Our guest book is approaching the 7,000 mark, many of whom return. If all our customers turned up at once, we would have enough to fill the bus station, let alone the pub. This did not happen overnight I can assure you. So any wannabe bar owners out there that do not want to put in 200% and get a return of 25%, at least for the first couple of years, then forget it. I know. I've done it.

Edited by farangconnection

As I have said so many times before, there are so many Falangs that think opening a bar is so easy. But, when they come to count their takings for the first week, if they have not made 100,000 baht then they get disgruntled. After the first month, if they are not millionairs by then they start getting slacker and slacker, handing over most of the Farang duties to the Thai members of staff, and that is where the spiral downward really begins. Here at the Farang Connection, it has taken six years of hard work ( not six days,weeks or months)and now we can finally say we are making money. Next comes paying off the debts we have accrued in that time. We have finally reached a stage where we are busy every single day, and we are getting more and more regular customers. Our guest book is approaching the 7,000 mark, many of whom return. If all our customers turned up at once, we would have enough to fill the bus station, let alone the pub. This did not happen overnight I can assure you. So any wannabe bar owners out there that do not want to put in 200% and get a return of 25%, at least for the first couple of years, then forget it. I know. I've done it.

I agree 100 % and this are the dreamers who talking a lot of s**** afterwards. That they are sometimes wrong or greedy or just stupid they will never admit.

Martin,

As i have said on a previous post, you have kept open and worked hard for where you are today, i admire you mate, running any Business is a hard graft these days, and especially in the Land of Smiles, i know the score still doing it at the mo, working from 5 am untill 8.30 tonight sat, 7 days per week, got 14 staff working for me, but the boss still has to do things his way at times, when in Thailand which i make about 4 times per year, i play hard and enjoy myself, it's got to be done.

When i actually sell this place or lease it out which i have done with one of my other Premises in the UK, i will be in Buriram full time and yes i am going to open a Business and it will be open from 8 am untill midnight, not like the cowboys in Buriram, fair play to the Bamboo doing well, never closed, there are so many dreamers out there who have never ran anything, not even a car, if you are going to suceed do it 100%, my customers think what go's in the cash register go's in my back pocket, i wish.

:D The word in the remaining bars open in Buriram is that Magnus a swedish guy who used to have a small bar near the night bazaar is going to open up SAWADEE KHRAP in the very near future :)

:D The word in the remaining bars open in Buriram is that Magnus a swedish guy who used to have a small bar near the night bazaar is going to open up SAWADEE KHRAP in the very near future :)

Tidy, no Magnus well, nice guy. hope he does ok.

:D The word in the remaining bar/s open in Buriram is that Magnus a swedish guy who used to have a small bar near the night bazaar is going to open up SAWADEE KHRAP in the very near future :)

Hi Binnsy

Good luck to him.

What happened to Mauri Chris&wife then ? and has the German place got Thai ale in yet for all there customers??

Sorry for all the questions,just like to keep up-to-date

Dave

Tidy, no Magnus well, nice guy. hope he does ok.

Tidy KNOW magnus well, nice guy, hope he does ok.

Sorry about the double post, it is the radnorshire in me boy,

'As I have said so many times before, there are so many Falangs that think opening a bar is so easy. But, when they come to count their takings for the first week, if they have not made 100,000 baht then they get disgruntled. After the first month, if they are not millionairs by then they start getting slacker and slacker, handing over most of the Farang duties to the Thai members of staff, and that is where the spiral downward really begins.'

Can't really speak for others but as an ex bar owner I hardly got a night's sleep in 3 years which is why I eventually sold up to have a break but came away very happy as a result and way up in pocket. The place has been run into the ground since by a Yank who would rather be drinking elsewhere so see your point. Isn't easy and you have to put up with some individuals you wouldn't normally give the time of day to. The Farang- know alls about Thailand who when it comes down to it know sod all- one in particular in Burairam I would have basically told to go somewhere else if my shout as they end up losing you customers and for some reason believe you want to actually listen to their garbage. . .

:D The word in the remaining bar/s open in Buriram is that Magnus a swedish guy who used to have a small bar near the night bazaar is going to open up SAWADEE KHRAP in the very near future :)

Hi Binnsy

Good luck to him.

What happened to Mauri Chris&wife then ? and has the German place got Thai ale in yet for all there customers??

Dave

Was in the German Bar the other day and one of the girls used to work in the Bamboo and when i asked if they were going to sell Thai beer the answer was NO which i find a little bit strange as NORBIES in Surin sell small Leo!!!!!!.I think i might be correct but these two bars are owned by the same guy so it amzes me that can sell Thai beer in Surin but not Buriram.

As for Chris i have no idea where they are :D .

The old Sawdee Khrap is due to open in 6 weeks but word has it cash may be a problem :D

:D The word in the remaining bar/s open in Buriram is that Magnus a swedish guy who used to have a small bar near the night bazaar is going to open up SAWADEE KHRAP in the very near future :D

Hi Binnsy

Good luck to him.

Dave

Was in the German Bar the other day and one of the girls used to work in the Bamboo and when i asked if they were going to sell Thai beer the answer was NO which i find a little bit strange as NORBIES in Surin sell small Leo!!!!!!.I think i might be correct but these two bars are owned by the same guy so it amzes me that can sell Thai beer in Surin but not Buriram.

As for Chris i have no idea where they are :D .

The old Sawdee Khrap is due to open in 6 weeks but word has it cash may be a problem :D

Hi

My good deed for the day ...Took an elderly German guy who has lived in Thailand for many years to Farang Food Paradise for lunch recently. He told the German manager in no uncertain terms (as only another German could) :) as to what he thought of the no Thai beer policy.

Everyone I know has told them the same thing so why there is still no local beer is a mystery! Obviously some secret agenda :D

TBWG :D

Everyone I know has told them the same thing so why there is still no local beer is a mystery! Obviously some secret agenda :)

Hi TMWG

I blame the Isaan 'Meat Pie Mafia'

Polpotter

Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say? :D

Dave

It should be pretty obvious why they don't sell Thai beer. Same as Surin, they hate the pub being cluttered up with customers :)

You sound like Basil Fawlty, Martin

BTW Don't mention the war :D

Dave

I did once..............................................but I think I got away with it. :D

• 5 weeks later...

As I've said previously, that Paradise place will go under if they don't shape up, get some autonomy and figure out what they are trying to achieve.

As for bars in general being hard work, then yes, many are. The main reason why they are is because many owners have no concept and rely on themselves, their friends and their being in the bar near 24/7 to make it work. Rationally, their business plan does not work. If an owner or host is present then he should add something to the business but he should not be the business. That is where most go wrong from day one.

As I've said previously, that Paradise place will go under if they don't shape up, get some autonomy and figure out what they are trying to achieve.

As for bars in general being hard work, then yes, many are. The main reason why they are is because many owners have no concept and rely on themselves, their friends and their being in the bar near 24/7 to make it work. Rationally, their business plan does not work. If an owner or host is present then he should add something to the business but he should not be the business. That is where most go wrong from day one.

Wise words (& welcome back)

Dave

Just as an example, take the Farang Connection. An extremely successful pub/bar/restaurant that has been visited by almost 10,000 people over the six years that I have had it( and that is just the Farangs). On the food and drink side of it, we break even. Yes, you heard right; break even. Our profit comes from the Car & Motorbike hire & other ventures. We are not expensive, even though we use the finest ingediants. A lot of our produce is imported, and if people complain about our food ( which is very rarely) we bin it and either start again or not charge them. Of course we don't please everyone, I remember one customer from Australia, who came in at the Elephant festival time. He was number 28 in the queue for food. I explained it would take about 45 minutes to an hour to serve him( with food). When the food arrived after an hour, he said" I've waited an hour for that. I don't want it, and I'm never coming back here again"

Last years Elephant Festival we got it right. We selected 10 of the most popular dishes, and that was all. Breakfast finished at 12.00 and a new menu was brought out. No-one waited more than 25-30 minutes even though we were packed solid most of the time. We shall do the same this year. Maybe I'll be still here to see it.

My staff are wonderful, and they get paid good wages for it. Our wages bill is 95,000 baht a month. Both me and Nee can go away and KNOW that the business will be run properly. That is where a lot of businesses fail. The owners go back to their own countries to work, and when they return they are ruined.

Last week, yet another English pub opened up in the bus station, right opposite us, and next door but one to the Norwegian bar. We now have four Farang places, within a small area. I wish Stephen all the best, but I cannot see it working out. Most of my customers know they are coming to the Farang Connection, before they even arrive in Surin. Our marketing is fantastic, and that my dear readers is half the job. As I am writing this, all our cars and motorbikes are out, with customers waiting for when they are returned. Most of the booking is done over the internet. Marketing again.

So once more I leave you with a fine and very apt saying

" If you want to make a million in Thailand,.............bring two million"

Just as an example, take the Farang Connection. An extremely successful pub/bar/restaurant that has been visited by almost 10,000 people over the six years that I have had it( and that is just the Farangs). On the food and drink side of it, we break even. Yes, you heard right; break even. Our profit comes from the Car & Motorbike hire & other ventures. We are not expensive, even though we use the finest ingediants. A lot of our produce is imported, and if people complain about our food ( which is very rarely) we bin it and either start again or not charge them. Of course we don't please everyone, I remember one customer from Australia, who came in at the Elephant festival time. He was number 28 in the queue for food. I explained it would take about 45 minutes to an hour to serve him( with food). When the food arrived after an hour, he said" I've waited an hour for that. I don't want it, and I'm never coming back here again"

Last years Elephant Festival we got it right. We selected 10 of the most popular dishes, and that was all. Breakfast finished at 12.00 and a new menu was brought out. No-one waited more than 25-30 minutes even though we were packed solid most of the time. We shall do the same this year. Maybe I'll be still here to see it.

My staff are wonderful, and they get paid good wages for it. Our wages bill is 95,000 baht a month. Both me and Nee can go away and KNOW that the business will be run properly. That is where a lot of businesses fail. The owners go back to their own countries to work, and when they return they are ruined.

Last week, yet another English pub opened up in the bus station, right opposite us, and next door but one to the Norwegian bar. We now have four Farang places, within a small area. I wish Stephen all the best, but I cannot see it working out. Most of my customers know they are coming to the Farang Connection, before they even arrive in Surin. Our marketing is fantastic, and that my dear readers is half the job. As I am writing this, all our cars and motorbikes are out, with customers waiting for when they are returned. Most of the booking is done over the internet. Marketing again.

So once more I leave you with a fine and very apt saying

" If you want to make a million in Thailand,.............bring two million"

Huh Mountain

I thought you gave your cars and motorsais away free to attractive young policewomen! :)

Huh Mountain

I thought you gave your cars and motorsais away free to attractive young policewomen! :)

Hi Martin

I agree, your staff are good but always thought you hardly ever have a holiday or a day off.

It would do you the world of good, matey.

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

• 7 months later...

IMHO the Irish Bar has taken a turn for the better The reason that I say that is the Boss whose name is Brian is open at 12:00 everyday his prices are good (65 baht large Leo) Food is available and he is trying to get back the customers and I think that he is.

If you have not been in there recently i suggest that you pop in and see if you agree.

On the downside it appears that the Vinyl Bar has closed.

IMHO the Irish Bar has taken a turn for the better The reason that I say that is the Boss whose name is Brian is open at 12:00 everyday his prices are good (65 baht large Leo) Food is available and he is trying to get back the customers and I think that he is.

If you have not been in there recently i suggest that you pop in and see if you agree.

On the downside it appears that the Vinyl Bar has closed.

I agree. I was in a week or so ago on the recommendation of Scottish Billy who said that Brian's wife made a mean Irish Coffee - I wanted to pick up some tips for Coffee Corner.

With the windows now opened up the whole vista is better and you lose the closed bar effect. Brian clearly has a lot of experience from running Pattaya bars and knows how to provide a service to customers.

A turn for the better for sure.

So who is this Brain then ? Where is Aiden ?

torrenova - technically, his name is Brian. But after Aiden your spelling is probably justified.

Aidan was last seen bullsh!tting his way round the darker reaches of Buriram province

Aidan or whatever his name was accused me of trying to take over his business ! what business ?

I thought he had actually finally seen sense in opening it up but I never thought he would make a go of it. Then there were the rumours of cash owed here, stolen money there, etc.

So what is the scene around the water for bars and places to eat nowadays ?