May Be Moving To Ban Chang, Rayong

meya

Hello I may be moving to Ban Chang, Rayong. I'm an avid cyclist and outdoor enthusiast. I am wondering what the roads are like there, are there lots of places to bike, is commuting around the city centers easily done? What is the area of Ban Chang like? Is there work available in outdoor education or bike touring? I am also interested in studying massage therapy and natural medicine, are there any places in Rayong or Pattaya to look into? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Hello I may be moving to Ban Chang, Rayong. I'm an avid cyclist and outdoor enthusiast. I am wondering what the roads are like there, are there lots of places to bike, is commuting around the city centers easily done? What is the area of Ban Chang like? Is there work available in outdoor education or bike touring? I am also interested in studying massage therapy and natural medicine, are there any places in Rayong or Pattaya to look into? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Try posting in the Eastern Thailand forum.

Sooner or later Ban Chang will be a sub-urb of Pattaya.... :o

I used to live there for a couple of years.

Upside: cheap and quiet.

Downside: nothing much going on - apart from a strip of girlie bars.

If you love the outdors, you can do a lot of cycling along the beaches as there is a road going all the way along the beach. For commuting, minimum requirement would be a scooter. There is some sort of public transport by small vans which are all locted at the market. Get their phone numbers and they will pick you up at home and bring you to wherever you want.

Most foreigners who live there are in the oil industry. I am not aware of any of the jobs you are looking for to be available there, rather try Pattaya.

It's around 50km from Ban Chang to Pattaya.

Rubbish....Even going the long way round its 39km from Ban Chang to Pattaya...

Ban Chang itself I wouldnt be classify as a city.....more of a "large village"......

Nice quiet place.....been living there for last 6 years....far fewer expat b*llsh*ters and wannabees.....

The "strip" has expanded a lot with new bars (dont know how they are doing business..!!)

Ban Chang has just come into the 21st Century - TESCO's and "shopping mall" just opened....!!!

6km from Ban Chang center to the beach....very few if any tourists, another bonus

Can do your cycling, but watch out for the loonies on the road and the dogs..!!!....wouldnt have thought there is much of a business in this around the area and definitely no jobs for this....dont know of places doing massage therapy and natural medicine training...guess you need to look in Rayong or Pattaya...

As regards expats....the vast majority of the guys actually work/own business' in the area in Map-tu-phut or involved with offshore oil and gas business or related....

Very laid back lifestyle in comparision with Pattaya...

30kms down the road to Rayong...

I agree with Tomkagai. I have lived here for three years or so and find it to be a good spot. It all depends on what you want I guess. If you want the girlie bar scene then there is a small one. I am told that people come to that area from Pattya, for some reason. There are one or two good non-girlie bars there too. The Offshore Bar is particularly good in my opinion.

I use my mountian bike quite a lot. As mentioned there road along the beach fronts is good which I where I peddle on most occassions. I recentley started going acroos the fields though which is good. It's also posible to peddle in the other direction and head towards the hills. The roads are good but of course you have to factor in Thai drivers, who are of course present everywhere.

Rayong is a 20 minute drive in one direction and Pattaya 40 minutes in the other.

If you are with your wife or other and want a quite lifestyle then its a great spot. If you are on your own and want action then it's probably not.

We even have a Tesco Lotus here now. What more do you want!

I am told that people come to that area from Pattya, for some reason.

I often worndered about that one....but the answer is simple....we get the middle aged bikers over the weekends doing a run..and think the real reason is its gives them an excuse to come and have some fun with the bar girls and not get caught by their TGF's or wifes in Pattaya....

:o

Interesting post :o

And could you please tell us/me

how it is for Internet/ADSL in Ban Chang & Rayong area ?

I have TT&T (THB780/month) ADSL in the house and dont have too many problems...have the occassion of it going down...speed slows occassionally but over all for what I am paying....perfectly acceptable service

Some of the lads I know who have their offices and workshops further out of town towards Sattahip have problems getting TOT to put telephone line have gone for the satellite system...as they are running multiple pc's in an office setting the cost of setting up the system and monthly payments is justified...

I have tried elsewhere but no responce ,, looking for long term rental in Ban Chang

Theres a few houses for rent of various size on our estate/village. Theres a few bungalows and a couple of two story houses. All in as new condition in a very quite location. I imagine the rents to be reasonable. This is just outside Ban Chang.

The "strip" has expanded a lot with new bars (dont know how they are doing business..!!)

their secret of success is that the owners work in the oil business and are not depending on income from the bar.

The buiness model works as follows: You get the beer at wholesale price while your buddies pay retail and eventually subsidise your expenses for alcohol. :o

Ban Chang has just come into the 21st Century - TESCO's and "shopping mall" just opened....!!!

once Foodland opens a branch there I might move back!

Strangley enough very few of the new bars are owned by Farangs who are in the oil business, there are very few farangs left in Ban chang who are still in the Oil business at all... :o

I made the comment as when I first came to Ban Chang, as the Oil companies where mobilising from the Ban Chang Palace...the original bars on the strip used to be choker block every night of the week, now on the whole the companies mobilise from Jontiem and there are very few oil workers passing through...but the number of bars has doubled over the last 12-18months....but then again TIT

I get my hair cut at the end of the ‘bar street’ in Ban Chang. I know I am normally only there during the day, but there hardly seem to be any ferang or Thai at the bars. I understand that golfers use the bars, and I have occassionaly seen a few bikers, but thats not often. There are always dozens of girls sitting outside though. I can never understand why every few months a new bar seems to be opening. Maybe it’s in anticipation of a future influx of customers. Even the offshore bar, which is very nice and must have had some money spent on it, seems to be empty most times I go in. There are now new buildings on the opposite side of the road. I wonder if they will become empty bars too.

Hmmm, quite a lot more actually. Tesco/Lotus and Big C are really downmarket stores, very little there for us.

Give usFoodland, Villa Market and Friendship any day. Royal Garden Plaza is also OK, but we are eagerly awaiting the new Central store to open early next year on 2nd road. I just hope it will match the Chid Lom department store. Then Pattaya has grown up, and the need to go to BKK is reduced, but not totally gone.

Tesco/Lotus and Big C are really downmarket stores, very little there for us.

Give us Foodland, Villa Market and Friendship any day...

??

Can you explain please ?

I use to go to Tops, Big C or Carrefour (or Lotus but too far)

but never gone in Foodland, Villa Market or Friendship.

What am I missing ?

??

Can you explain please ?

What am I missing ?

A little off topic are we discussing the pro's and cons of shops....

Think the original point that was being made was that upto a month ago to go food shopping in Ban Chang at a supermarket somebody had to travel to either Pattaya or Rayong...

Personally think there is nothing wrong with TESCO's or Big C and actually Foodland and Friendship suck...

Carrefour has better variety than TESCO's or Big C....it all depends on what you are looking for...

??

Can you explain please ?

What am I missing ?

I do not know what you are missing. If you are happy about your current shop/store, I can and should not say anything to change that. But if you feel that there is something else out there for you, it is easy enough to check it out.

??

Can you explain please ?

What am I missing ?

A little off topic are we discussing the pro's and cons of shops....

Think the original point that was being made was that upto a month ago to go food shopping in Ban Chang at a supermarket somebody had to travel to either Pattaya or Rayong...

Personally Ithink there is nothing wrong with TESCO's or Big C and actually Foodland and Friendship suck...

Carrefour has better variety than TESCO's or Big C....it all depends on what you are looking for...

I do not think there is anything wrong as such with Tesco or Big C. But these stores do not cater to my taste. Why Foodland and Friendship suck, I am at a loss. But I do not care what you think to be be honest.

Strangley enough very few of the new bars are owned by Farangs who are in the oil business, there are very few farangs left in Ban chang who are still in the Oil business at all... :o

I made the comment as when I first came to Ban Chang, as the Oil companies where mobilising from the Ban Chang Palace...the original bars on the strip used to be choker block every night of the week, now on the whole the companies mobilise from Jontiem and there are very few oil workers passing through...but the number of bars has doubled over the last 12-18months....but then again TIT

There are over 7 major projects under construction in Map Ta Phut, many being done by international engineering and construction companies. There are lots of expats working in the area.

TH

TH..

You are right mate, but still dont see the number of bums on the stools, we used to see a few years ago for some reason...may be its just me on my early days on the strip used to hit the place like there was no tomorrow....so may have been seeing double or triple a lot and thinking there where more people about than they actually were..???

TRE :o

??

Can you explain please ?

What am I missing ?

quality, especially freshness of meat and vegetables.

Hmmm, quite a lot more actually. Tesco/Lotus and Big C are really downmarket stores, very little there for us.

Give usFoodland, Villa Market and Friendship any day....

See the posting - Rotten Chicken Meat At Friendship And Villa and you say Tesco and Big C are classed as downmarket.. :D ..never had bad meat from Tesco/Big C or Carrefour and been shopping in them for years.... :o

Enjoy the salmonella...but think I will keep on shopping at the "downmarket" shops....

I had rotten meat at Carrefour twice. The vegetable section at Carrefour is a disgrace for both, freshness and variety.

Not sure about Big C and Tops, I hardly ever go shopping there as there are not on my regular route, but from what I remember the general selection was not up to my expectations. I actually almost never eat canned food but cook only with fresh ingredients.

Give usFoodland, Villa Market and Friendship any day....

See the posting - Rotten Chicken Meat At Friendship And Villa and you say Tesco and Big C are classed as downmarket.. :D ..never had bad meat from Tesco/Big C or Carrefour and been shopping in them for years.... :o

Enjoy the salmonella...but think I will keep on shopping at the "downmarket" shops....

OK, I stand corrected, so take away Villa and Friendship (and presumably Best as well?).

That leaves Foodland for me, and Tesco/Big C for you. So all are happy chappies.

As for salmonella, that is an animal I have never encountered.

The classification was done by arrogant me only (note that I say me not us anymore, using us seemed to cause some irritation, so I shall try to stick to the singular).

Tops Pattaya I do not know, but they run the Central Chid Lom food supermarket, and that looks pretty good to me.

I used to live in a mo ban called Ban Budsaba, which is in between Patters and Bang chang.

I always went to Bang chang as it was much more laid back than patters and roughly same distance, the girls in the bars were more like the old days of los.

I mean they didnt sit with ya for 2 mins and expect you just buy them a drink for nowt. anyway as someone said when i went back there were more bars and less punters but thats los for ya.

I would definatly live in Bang chang, thers some nice property and its much quieter maybe im just getting old!

Edited by Aikido