May Be Moving To Ban Chang, Rayong

meya

i just moved to rayong myself, 15 min from ban chang and can't say nothing bad about it.

good foods, nice beaches, koh samed, plenty off shops and nice nightmarkets.

about the bad foods in the shops, can't help you there i always go eat in restaurants here.

i can't boder to prepare food iff it's so cheap given to you in a restaurant.

about the bar's no experiance there to i'm sorry, i'm happy with my gf and wouldend consider paying for something i get for free at home.

the nightlife here is ok, but for me i rather go to pattaya for a night out.

it's only a 45 min drive to pattaya and there are many pubs and sorts there and only 500baht for a hotel when you get to drunk to drive.

alsowe it's nice there to go talk to some to farangs because we don't have many here, or i not yet found them, that can be to.

i was a sportman to before i had my motorcycle accident, and there are some nice roads here to drive the bycicle.

i was more a runner but i know a good road when i see one.

only be carefull with the cars here, some people are on a warpath i think sometimes.

about jobs i hear there are allot off english teachers here and you don't need to be an english man to teach here to, but that's just what i hear.

i'm still fairly young to (27) so this is the opinion of a lesser old man living in the rayong area.

grtz dennis

I often worndered about that one....but the answer is simple....we get the middle aged bikers over the weekends doing a run..and think the real reason is its gives them an excuse to come and have some fun with the bar girls and not get caught by their TGF's or wifes in Pattaya....

:o

Funny coincidence. A bunch of friends from a local motorcycle club and I are heading down to Rayong this afternoon. They had planned on going to Korat but apparently there is a large storm in that area right now.

From what I've seen so far, these guys (mostly Thai, mostly successful business owners/managers) like to head out for little jaunts to party and have fun without their "better-halves" as mentioned above. Good for spreading a bit of wealth and fun around other parts of the country I guess (and gives the spouses a chance to do what ever it is they do when the men are away). :D

• 1 month later...
Strangley enough very few of the new bars are owned by Farangs who are in the oil business, there are very few farangs left in Ban chang who are still in the Oil business at all... :o

I made the comment as when I first came to Ban Chang, as the Oil companies where mobilising from the Ban Chang Palace...the original bars on the strip used to be choker block every night of the week, now on the whole the companies mobilise from Jontiem and there are very few oil workers passing through...but the number of bars has doubled over the last 12-18months....but then again TIT

Still a few Oil Workers, A lot from the Petrochemical Complex at Maptaphut and Asia Industrial Estate, a lot of the people work supporting or own companies supporting these endeavours

Been in Rayong for 12 years. Love it. Ban Chang is a dump.

Whats so great about Rayong then and so bad about Ban Chang? Rayong has Laem Tong shopping centre with a decaying cinema and a few supermarkets. Anything else so much better? I use a gym in Rayong and shop there but thats about it.

• 2 months later...

by the way--

cluezo- what are you going on about?

ban chang wins hands down over rayong in every aspect

distace to pattaya

distance to airport

distance to BKK

beaches (payoon, pala- and if you fancy it-- the really beautiful ones in sattahip- take you passport)

pollution ( a known fact that rayong gets 75% of the maptaput pollution)

chilled relaxed atmosphere

plenty of nice restaraunts (always quiet, relaxed, good service and prices)

one strip of farang type bars ( for when you fancy a beer- all you need)

shops--ok rayong has more

but we have tescos --a few cofee shops, al lthe usual thai shops, 7 elevens, etc

if you really need to go shopping rayong and pattaya are both close enough

international school and bilingual school

this to be honest is a big reason why ban chang attracts farangs-- simple case of family / child needs

but overall the biggest advantage is just the pace, time and ease of life here

pattaya is just too much- too busy,

rayong just too dull

ban chang is quiet but within shooting distance of a big night out and so if you're young and single then pattaya/ jomtien is where you probably want to be

if you're young and female it's just quiet full stop but then i have to say thailand isn't really a good choice for young females- they'll quickly get bored usually

but for everyone else is just about right

housing -- enough nice villages to fulfill demand

lom talay 1 and 2, payoon green ville, eastern star golf villages to name a few...

big scandinavian one by glenasia coming soon too

at the rate ban chang is developing with the new bypass, new housing, and the nearby growth of maptaput it wouldn't surpise me if we see a lot of chnages in the next 6 yrs-

there's been loads of new roads tarmacced/ widened this year already

seems to be expansion of infrastructure to anticipate growth

a shame really as it will probably get spoilt in the end but for now it still retains some charm and authenticity ( lets hope the urban planners have a vision

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with tv addict, banchang is a great place. I have concerns about the pollution in Rayong. Prevailing winds are westerly or southerly, so Banchang is (hopefully not affected by the industrial spoils)

The new Tesco in Banchang is a travesty, I have nothing personally against them, but there used to a fantastic "Tuesday/wednesday" market on the lot, the one up on Sukhumvit that replaced it just isn't the same. Porr parking / access and the additional traffic created by Tesco has made it a very dangerous place to be a pedestian in that area.

I agree about the Lotus store and the insanity of the traffic it brings to the area. Tesco could have done better on location and building a store. People would come to shop no matter where they build it. Putting that store in that spot has created nothing but a traffice nightmare for the area.

And here in Thailand it seems anything is allowed. They (Lotus) are not forced to provide improvements to the local infrastructure such as road and traffic improvements to ease the pain of the increased traffic.

And the architect/design team that got the approval on the single door entry from the car park should be shot at sunrise. What a bottleneck of confusion.

But I also agree that Ban Chang is a much nicer place to live than Pattaya. Lets hope the town fathers don't get greedy and let i get spoiled too quickly.

• 1 month later...

The closest movie theater is in Pattaya or Rayong

I think!

The SF complex in the upper floor of Laemthong Center in Rayong is closest.

But bear in mind the movies are all in Thai as far as I know and never the original soundtrack in English with Thai sub titles.

Please someone tell me they do get movies in English.

I think!

But bear in mind the movies are all in Thai as far as I know and never the original soundtrack in English with Thai sub titles.

Nope. Sorry to inform that the cinema in Laem Thong stopped showing original soundtrack foreign films a while (2-3 years) back now. :o

Terrible if you don't understand or speak fluent Thai. Even worse if you do... :D

I have never been back, but my missus keeps badgering them to show original soundtrack titles...

The nearest and best (afaik) cinema showing the latest films is the Royal Garden mall in Pattaya.

I think!

Nope. Sorry to inform that the cinema in Laem Thong stopped showing original soundtrack foreign films a while (2-3 years) back now. :o

Terrible if you don't understand or speak fluent Thai. Even worse if you do... :D

I have never been back, but my missus keeps badgering them to show original soundtrack titles...

The nearest and best (afaik) cinema showing the latest films is the Royal Garden mall in Pattaya.

better than the cinema in royal garden plaza is the Major Cineplex upstairs above blu-o bowling and california wow gym at the avenue ( only 500m further down on the right after royal garden on 2nd road, pattaya

more screens, newer, better quality set-up

Hello I may be moving to Ban Chang, Rayong. I'm an avid cyclist and outdoor enthusiast. I am wondering what the roads are like there, are there lots of places to bike, is commuting around the city centers easily done? What is the area of Ban Chang like? Is there work available in outdoor education or bike touring? I am also interested in studying massage therapy and natural medicine, are there any places in Rayong or Pattaya to look into? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Ban Chang and Rayong are defiinitely more basic than Pattaya and Bangkok. You will be living in pretty much a Thai environment with just a springling of western living. Don't think you would have much chance at a job/work permit unless you happen to line something up with a oil/chemical company.

by the way--

distace to pattaya

distance to airport

distance to BKK

beaches (payoon, pala- and if you fancy it-- the really beautiful ones in sattahip- take you passport)

but we have tescos --a few cofee shops, al lthe usual thai shops, 7 elevens, etc

this to be honest is a big reason why ban chang attracts farangs-- simple case of family / child needs

rayong just too dull

ban chang is quiet but within shooting distance of a big night out and so if you're young and single then pattaya/ jomtien is where you probably want to be

if you're young and female it's just quiet full stop but then i have to say thailand isn't really a good choice for young females- they'll quickly get bored usually

lom talay 1 and 2, payoon green ville, eastern star golf villages to name a few...

at the rate ban chang is developing with the new bypass, new housing, and the nearby growth of maptaput it wouldn't surpise me if we see a lot of chnages in the next 6 yrs-

a shame really as it will probably get spoilt in the end but for now it still retains some charm and authenticity ( lets hope the urban planners have a vision

Hi guys my name is whittler / aka Mike. I will be coming to Thailand in about 3 months for a test for retirement for 1 year.

I plan to start in Pattaya/ Jomtien, to renew old friendships, for about a month. I would like to come to Ban Chang for

a couple weeks, to cheack it out. Is there a hotel that is not to expensive ? Any info you can give me about the cost

of rent for a small house 1 bedroom, I really don't know enough about living there to know what to ask. One thing I would

like to know, is are quad runners / ATV'S legal, on the street ? I am 67 years old and have bad knees. Too hard to hold

up a moter bike. Is it cheaper to live in Ban Chang that Cha am ? I have asthma, and need to live on the coast.

Thanks,

whittler

by the way--

distace to pattaya

distance to airport

distance to BKK

rayong just too dull

Hi guys my name is whittler / aka Mike. I will be coming to Thailand in about 3 months for a test for retirement for 1 year.

I plan to start in Pattaya/ Jomtien, to renew old friendships, for about a month. I would like to come to Ban Chang for

a couple weeks, to cheack it out. Is there a hotel that is not to expensive ? Any info you can give me about the cost

of rent for a small house 1 bedroom, I really don't know enough about living there to know what to ask. One thing I would

like to know, is are quad runners / ATV'S legal, on the street ? I am 67 years old and have bad knees. Too hard to hold

up a moter bike. Is it cheaper to live in Ban Chang that Cha am ? I have asthma, and need to live on the coast.

Thanks,

whittler

What ever you do, dont stay in the Ban Chang Palace hotel, its about THB 800 night....but you get what you pay for...sh*te...Garden hotel is OK, you can get a monthly deal on a junior suite, used to be about THB 12,000 -14,000 a month, its a decent place, but a bit limited as regards transport.

Dont believe ATV's are legal on the streets in Thailand, base this on having never seen one on the streets in Thailand in 7 years

Ban Chang is cheaper than Cha Am, bear in mind, Ban Chang is a Thai town/village and doesnt get too may tourists etc, Almost all the farangs in the area either work in Thailand or are retired..

If you do decide on Ban Chang you will need to get some transport sorted out for yourself..ie a car

If you have asthma, hope you know Maptuphut (industrial/chemical/petrochem) is only 15km down the road..

hotels-

in ban chang centre-

best value/cheapest--

Ban Chang Inn-- ( behind the strip of bars/opposite the TOT telephone office)

310 baht per night for small rooms( only a few)

410 for all the others--

have cable tv with foreign channels, bathroom ensuite, double bed, fridge

basic but clean and central so at 410 not much to moan about

Ban Chang Palace- ok but not worth it-- sad and shabby- but do monthly rents (800 per night)

Jor Koo Inn-ok- on Sukhumvit rd near to tescos (600 per night) simple, clean same as ban chang inn really ( but for some reason i think the inn is better)

down on the beach/coastline--

Pala Bungalows Resort-- not sure how much

over 2,000 baht per night-

Purimas- good quality proper hotel with all the trimmings- pool, sauna, gym, restaraunt, etc...for the tourists

Pala Cliff Beach Hotel(- same but a bit cheaper than Purimas but without some of the quality although still good quality place

Romsons bungalows (behind the restaraunt on Namrin beach) do a monthly rate 12,000 but probably full as many of the bungalows are lived in all year long with tennants renting for a year

otherwise- you could just rent a small room- as many do-- some nice ones around-- about 4-5,000 per month but upstairs- one nice one i can recommend is in the far corner behind Tescos car park ( tucked behind just past the massage and pizza joints) - this one is 6 months old - double room, ensuite bathroom, wifi, cable tv, security cameras on evry floor, key card access and reception

anyway, there's a few options but still difficult to beat ban chang inn for value at 410 per night- unless you want all the extras- pool, restaraunt, etc

• 3 weeks later...

I think!

I didn't know they had stopped showing soundtrack movies. Although to be honest I think the place is best avoided now. I used to go regularly 8 or 9 years ago and it was great, but the last time I went I found everything to be in poor condition and in need of an update. The entire theater room was grottie and threadbare. I was always concerned about the safety. On the late showings the fire exits were always chained shut and the very narrow staircase exit seemed like an accident waiting to happen.

Who knows, maybe a cinema will be the next addition to Ban Chang.