Thaksin Launches A Second War On Drugs

Edit: Another overlapping post. Don't worry I'm not having a go at anyone at Taksin. Thai Rug Thai !!!

But maybe a good time *not* to go to full moon parties.

If last year's killing spree was any indication, it also maybe not a good time to go to the fresh market for shopping, or drive home from work, or walk to school. How many of the killings were in situations totally unremoved from drug activity (eg full moon parties), but instead were of victims carrying on normal everyday tasks. Sorry, we'll never know how many were...as none of them were investigated.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best news I've heard all week!

He should never have scaled down the first one!

spot on.

the criminals that run the gangs gain power through putting fear into others and now the tables are turned. its a pity that the pathetic euro human rights regulations dont allow such crackdowns.

drugs and crime rule in euroland, and the police cant do a thing about it. they are fighting it with their hands tied behind their backs and its the victims who suffer.

more power to thailands war on the scummy criminal elements in society. it can only make thailand better.

If he was alive today, could you explain all of that to the innocent 9 year old child killed by a policeman's bullet during the crackdown?

If you think the crackdown only involved killing drug dealers, you have much to learn about the situation.

If you like places that completely abandon the concept of due process, I'm sorry you missed out on Taliban's Afghanistan... you'd have loved it there.

If he was alive today, could you explain all of that to the innocent 9 year old child killed by a policeman's bullet during the crackdown?

If you think the crackdown only involved killing drug dealers, you have much to learn about the situation.

If you like places that completely abandon the concept of due process, I'm sorry you missed out on Taliban's Afghanistan... you'd have loved it there. 

sriracha john Posted on Mon 2004-10-04, 15:39:58

this is thailand , the concept of due process has not yet reached the "sophistication" that it has in the west.

to mention the taliban in the same sentence as thailand indicates either a failed sense of irony or a lack of knowledge of how things operate in a developing democracy such as thailand.

i would be interested in hearing your solution to the problem , bearing in mind the state of play in thailand.(court system,evidence gathering capabilities,corruption and damage to society due to drug abuse)

it was only becos of taskin that the street executions started, before they used to arrest drug dealers, taskin gave the order to execute, u dont think that the police suddenly decided over a couple of months period to execute ppl they caught dealing?2500 of them.at least the taliban didnt execute 1250 ppl per month on the streets.

Thai PM Thaksin launches a second war on drugs

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, undaunted by an avalanche of criticism after more than 2,500 people were killed in his first war on drugs

After the avalanche of criticism from who? A handful of foreigners and local academics on internet web forums? A few dozen form letter memo's from a few human rights groups?

If a few thousand innocents can die in the 'war on terrorism' for the greater good, then a few dozen may have to die in the 'war on drugs' (perhaps they can be honored as heroes or whatever)

:o

actually as much as i love to hate heng he is quite right, the americans have killed loads of innocent ppl in iraq, so it does come down to how can ppl from a 1st world country that is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of innocent ppl complain about taskins police executioners offing a few undesirables and a few innocents, maybe taskin should put in a complaint about bush and blair and their war attrocities..

He should never have scaled down the first one!

I agree Rod.

kill them all and let god sort them out!

The Thai police get away with murder now, they don't need any more encouragement from top officials. The rights and safety of farangs are precarious enough without trigger happy police given the green light. This would be a good time to keep a very low profile. :o