Air Conditioners In Chiang Rai.

Domyamkung

With this very hot season .smilie_heiss.gifI'm having to buy a couple of air conditioners.

One about 9000 BTU and the other for a large room about 18,000 BTU.

I have checked out all the major stores in town, Santanee, Big C, etc and the best price I'm getting is

17,000 baht for the 9,000BTU and 27,900 baht for the 18,000 BTU.

These prices are for Mitshubishi Mister Slim which I'm told is the best.

Just wondering anybody know anywhere I can get a better price?

Thanks.

Edited by Domyamkung

This week I purchased a 12,000 Panasonic Btu Air Con unit at Tweeyont, a big store down town. The unit comes with a 5 year warranty on the compressor. It was 16,900 Baht installed . Also includes remote.

Don Battles

Dear Don,

Can you please give directions ?

:o Wiley Coyote

16,900 Baht installed

good price!

What about Haier air cons... from makro... 9000 baht for a 9000 btu...installed 5 year on compressor as well.. from China ... and over there its rated very good.

16,900 Baht installed

good price!

What about Haier air cons... from makro... 9000 baht for a 9000 btu...installed 5 year on compressor as well.. from China ... and over there its rated very good.

Does Macro provide installation and home service? Doubtfull. I think these two items should be your guide, rather than simply prices. Some A/C's are crap, some are okay, some are great (in my experience). A 9,000 btu compressor will cool a average bedroom on most days, but not everyday.

16,900 Baht installed

good price!

Does Macro provide installation and home service? Doubtfull. I think these two items should be your guide, rather than simply prices. Some A/C's are crap, some are okay, some are great (in my experience). A 9,000 btu compressor will cool a average bedroom on most days, but not everyday.

Wrong. Makro do provide service and guarantee for all it's eltrical items.

Also the recommended sized airconditioner for a room 150x 160 is 9,000 BTU and it's adviseable not to put too big of a unit .

There's a place on Baanpapragarn (ClockTower) Road just around the corner from Phaholiothin (Main street) Road heading towards the Super Highway.

It has a huge range of electrical stuff and my neighbor recommends their air conditioner installation and service highly.

16,900 Baht installed

good price!

Also the recommended sized airconditioner for a room 150x 160 is 9,000 BTU and it's adviseable not to put too big of a unit .

I don't believe your(?) figures of 150x 160 feet. Definately not in Thailand...23 years of living here tells me that.. And it is cheaper to run a slightly bigger unit normally..

Edited by Ajarn

16,900 Baht installed

good price!

I don't believe your(?) figures of 150x 160 feet. Definately not in Thailand...23 years of living here tells me that.. And it is cheaper to run a slightly bigger unit normally..

Centimetres. :o Mate, I think you've been living here too long.

Edited by Domyamkung

16,900 Baht installed

good price!

A room 150cm x 160 cm?

Most rooms that size need an exhaust fan rather than an air conditioner.

16,900 Baht installed

good price!

A room 150cm x 160 cm?

Most rooms that size need an exhaust fan rather than an air conditioner.

Okay, I'm betting 15 X 16 meters .. any takers? :D

Ah, it's the hot season...and is always the case at this time of the year, we're all a bit frazzled with the heat, etc. Doesn't help that the best way to beat the heat for some of us....is a large mug filled with ice, and a barley flavoured beverage....or three.

I'm interested in this thread; I live in an apt building in CM. 11th floor, west and north facing windows. I have had the building techs in twice in the last 2 weeks to check the ancient a/c unit's functionality. I'm seriously considering ripping out the bldg's POS, and buying a Haier; minimum investment cost, and I won't own it once it's installed.

Let me know what you find Domyamkung!

150 x 160

one should not bother with clowns providing SHIT information but asking for advice :o

How about inches, Naam. Hardly a quantum leap for the deductive powers for us earthlings. But probably difficult for you - I see from your photo that part of your brain seems to have escaped.

150 x 160

one should not bother with clowns providing SHIT information but asking for advice :o

How about inches, Naam. Hardly a quantum leap for the deductive powers for us earthlings. But probably difficult for you - I see from your photo that part of your brain seems to have escaped.

The possibility that he ever had one is in dispute.

16,900 Baht installed

good price!

Today was another one of those days.. My 9000btu in my office (extra bedroom) barely cooled me even at night... Daytime, even with a direct flow, couldn't keep me cool.. Room about 4x5 meters.

I've discovered a laughable and decidedly low-tech method to improve aircon performance during these hot times.

One of the techs who came by demonstrated this for me....If you have an outside compressor unit on a patio, etc., take a bucket of water and splash it on the coils; washes off the dirt and accumulated lint that impedes air flow, and definitely boosts performance for a little while.

I have the CLEANEST compressor unit in town right now, as I have been doing this....uh....probably way more than is necessary! :o

I've discovered a laughable and decidedly low-tech method to improve aircon performance during these hot times.

One of the techs who came by demonstrated this for me....If you have an outside compressor unit on a patio, etc., take a bucket of water and splash it on the coils; washes off the dirt and accumulated lint that impedes air flow, and definitely boosts performance for a little while.

I have the CLEANEST compressor unit in town right now, as I have been doing this....uh....probably way more than is necessary! :o

the method is not laughable but extremely efficient! if you have your own well (with water not too "hard"), set up a tank from which you pump with a (rather small) pump water and spray (mist) it with a lawn jet over your condenser (at the suction side) you can double the efficiency of the unit without using more energy. efficiency depends on the water temperature. that applies too for those who have access to cheap municipality water.

FYI...

I recently installed 3 air cons in my house: Mitsu Mr. Slim 18K BTU Econ Series, and a pair of Haier units (one each 9k and 18k BTU). The Mitsu was installed in a 28 cm3 room with high sun exposure. The 9 and 18k Haiers were installed in 12 and 19 cm3 sized rooms, respectively. The Mitsu cost me 29k baht installed. The Haiers were 9.5 and 19k baht installed, respectively. My purchase of the Haiers were an experiment...meaning I wanted to see if a "cheap" air con could cut (or cool, if you want to say) the mustard.

The Mitsu is far and away superior to the Haiers; however, the Haiers, for the money, are not in my opinion a bad choice if initial investment costs are a primary factor.

The Mitsu is quiet, even at highest fan speed; and it cools the nearly 30 cm3 room very quickly. The room is oblong (about 9 x 3.5 m), and I had the unit installed on the wide side because it was much simpler and less invasive to the house. I was concerned that the unit would be overly challenged in effectively cooling the room from that location; however, I was assured by the dealer that it would work fine....and it has. I was considering getting the Mitsu 18K Wide and Long model, but was talked out of that by the dealer. They saved me about 6k baht.

The Haier units work well, though not with the grace and refinement of the Mitsu. Both the 9 and 18k units were noticably "more vocal" at all fan setting, and especially so at the highest respective setting for each. It takes Haiers much more time to cool their respective rooms than does the Mitsu in its room. I measured the temp of the output air of all three, and found little difference. Therefore, I think the difference in cooling times and effectiveness is mostly a factor of the air turnover. I am not sure of the specs for the units, but the Mitsu versus Haier 18K output volumes at maximum speeds is definitely in favor of the Mitsu.

I cannot report on operating costs or other performance information beyond items discussed above.

Bottomline: Mitsu is better, but Haiers seem to be worth what they cost. I guess it is just another case of 'getting what you pay for...!' Also, guess I will have to wait for a few years to see how the Haiers hold-up. Only then will I be able to know if I was an idiot or not in buying the Chinese untis. :o

Stay cool!

the method is not laughable but extremely efficient! if you have your own well (with water not too "hard"), set up a tank from which you pump with a (rather small) pump water and spray (mist) it with a lawn jet over your condenser (at the suction side) you can double the efficiency of the unit without using more energy. efficiency depends on the water temperature. that applies too for those who have access to cheap municipality water.

Can't see how any of this would work. No cold air comes from the compressor. Maybe some water might cool the compressor for minute, but it wouldn't seem to make the air any cooler at all

Can't see how any of this would work. No cold air comes from the compressor. Maybe some water might cool the compressor for minute, but it wouldn't seem to make the air any cooler at all

Google "wet bulb" .. I believe that is one of the correct terms? It's what makes (wet) cooling towers work. Cooler air across the heat exchanger in the compressor.

Downside is that the fins can get a build-up of scale if the water has too many scale producing dissolved solids. The "cleaning" part, i.e., washing the crud off the fins, will help in a positive and different way.

Edited by klikster

FYI...

I recently installed 3 air cons in my house: Mitsu Mr. Slim 18K BTU Econ Series, and a pair of Haier units (one each 9k and 18k BTU). The Mitsu was installed in a 28 cm3 room with high sun exposure. The 9 and 18k Haiers were installed in 12 and 19 cm3 sized rooms, respectively.

<snip>

The Mitsu is quiet, even at highest fan speed; and it cools the nearly 30 cm3 room very quickly. The room is oblong (about 9 x 3.5m ),

This thread seems to be breeding math and/or measurement / conversion problems .. dam_n them meters/metres anyhow!

If you meant "cubic meters" when you wrote "cm3" then you confused me. But the room would appear to be 31.5 sq. m .. and if it has 2.5 meter ceilings, it would be 128 cubic meters.

I have the CLEANEST compressor unit in town right now, as I have been doing this....uh....probably way more than is necessary! :D

Google "wet bulb" .. I believe that is one of the correct terms? It's what makes (wet) cooling towers work. Cooler air across the heat exchanger in the compressor.

Downside is that the fins can get a build-up of scale if the water has too many scale producing dissolved solids. The "cleaning" part, i.e., washing the crud off the fins, will help in a positive and different way.

The heat exchager is thick metal, I doubt that any water would cool it off enough to make a difference to the freon stuff in side, which then provides the coolant needed to cool the fins inside, which then has the air flowing over it... Just too unconnected to the final product, cool air, in my view. But maybe I'm nuts :o

I have the CLEANEST compressor unit in town right now, as I have been doing this....uh....probably way more than is necessary! :D

The heat exchager is thick metal, I doubt that any water would cool it off enough to make a difference to the freon stuff in side, which then provides the coolant needed to cool the fins inside, which then has the air flowing over it... Just too unconnected to the final product, cool air, in my view. But maybe I'm nuts :o

The heat exchanger (outside) is likely copper tubing (relatively thin wall) and thin aluminum fins. Heat exchanger inside pretty much the same. I don't know where you're getting "thick metal". The evaporation of the water lowers the air temperature. Consider the difference between say 35 degree air vs 25 degree air (wet bulb temp, evaporation, take your pick) cooling the exchanger outside. So the air cools down the freon quicker and more efficiently.

You have 2 heat exchangers, one outside, one inside. The cool air inside comes from a fan blowing across the fins on the exchanger inside. They are connected by the freon .. that's pretty direct. But if you just want to argue rather than look at physics, that your choice.

The heat exchager is thick metal, I doubt that any water would cool it off enough to make a difference to the freon stuff in side, which then provides the coolant needed to cool the fins inside, which then has the air flowing over it... Just too unconnected to the final product, cool air, in my view. But maybe I'm nuts :D

i don't think you are nuts. you are just lacking any technical knowledge :o