Two-tiered Pricing At Khao Tom 1 Baht

meadish_sweetball

Ok, I know everyone has differing opinions on the two-tiered pricing phenomenon, but I guess most of us would agree that it is irritating when it's right in your face.

The other night I went to have dinner at Khao Tom 1 Baht on Thanon Rachadamnoen (opposite the Writer's Cafe) , and the waitress (new) gave me the farang menu. I was too tired to explain for the 3000th time that I can read Thai, so I just took the menu... My GF was also interested, she always likes to check the spellings and see how they translate things such as "het khem thawng", "phak kracheet" and the likes...

Well, this time she noticed that the prices on the farang menu were higher than on the Thai one... The Tom Yam on the farang menu was 20 baht more expensive than on the Thai menu, and on the menu nailed to the wall. So my GF tentatively asked what that was, and was given the "rakhaa farang" explanation.

So that's that. We ended up paying the Thai price, and I would assume they give that to anyone who knows about the difference since there is really no good defense for their policy... but then again, do we really want to go to a restaurant that preys on people's inability to read Thai? :o

Ok, I know everyone has differing opinions on the two-tiered pricing phenomenon, but I guess most of us would agree that it is irritating when it's right in your face.

The other night I went to have dinner at Khao Tom 1 Baht on Thanon Rachadamnoen (opposite the Writer's Cafe) , and the waitress (new) gave me the farang menu. I was too tired to explain for the 3000th time that I can read Thai, so I just took the menu... My GF was also interested, she always likes to check the spellings and see how they translate things such as "het khem thawng", "phak kracheet" and the likes...

Well, this time she noticed that the prices on the farang menu were higher than on the Thai one... The Tom Yam on the farang menu was 20 baht more expensive than on the Thai menu, and on the menu nailed to the wall. So my GF tentatively asked what that was, and was given the "rakhaa farang" explanation.

So that's that. We ended up paying the Thai price, and I would assume they give that to anyone who knows about the difference since there is really no good defense for their policy... but then again, do we really want to go to a restaurant that preys on people's inability to read Thai?  :o

Maybe at least once, it seems :D

Another must-avoid restaurant for this reason is Ban Som Tam, in the soi next to AIS off Kamphaeng Din road. They even manage to charge double for a bottle of water on the English menu (!), AND it was a hassle to get it all corrected. (Like, inform them of the price on the Thai menu, lots of time making adjustments to the bill, bill comes back, still double charge for the bottle of water, etc, etc.)

In general, I always dislike it when they give me an English menu, but of course I shouldn't... I mean most customers are tourists or otherwise don't read Thai so they'd really welcome an English menu. Like your girlfriend, I sometimes read it for the entertainment value. :o

BTW, neither Ban Som Tam or Khao Tom 1 Baht strike me as venues that would be particulary popular with farangs/tourists. Makes me wonder why they bother with the double pricing; it's not like they're going to be making significant extra profit on it at the end of the month.

Note, for Khao Tom I often go to the place next to Suan Dok Temple on Suthep road. I also noticed a brand new, clean and crisp looking one (which is quite something for late-night-khao-tom restaurants) on that road/soi that passes the Prince hotel, crosses the Mother of All Smelly Streams and then ends up on Sitthiwong road and the moat near Somphet.

Haven't tried it yet.

Cheers,

Chanchao

So that's that. We ended up paying the Thai price, and I would assume they give that to anyone who knows about the difference since there is really no good defense for their policy... but then again, do we really want to go to a restaurant that preys on people's inability to read Thai?  :o

Yes, I was simply too knackered that day to muster the strength to go eat somewhere else. Besides, my GF's mind was so set on their Tom Yam Kung (nam khem khon) that I did not have the heart to speak up...

Another must-avoid restaurant for this reason is Ban Som Tam, in the soi next to AIS off Kamphaeng Din road. They even manage to charge double for a bottle of water on the English menu (!), AND it was a hassle to get it all corrected. (Like, inform them of the price on the Thai menu, lots of time making adjustments to the bill, bill comes back, still double charge for the bottle of water, etc, etc.)

In general, I always dislike it when they give me an English menu, but of course I shouldn't... I mean most customers are tourists or otherwise don't read Thai so they'd really welcome an English menu. Like your girlfriend, I sometimes read it for the entertainment value. :D

BTW, neither Ban Som Tam or Khao Tom 1 Baht strike me as venues that would be particulary popular with farangs/tourists. Makes me wonder why they bother with the double pricing; it's not like they're going to be making significant extra profit on it at the end of the month.

Note, for Khao Tom I often go to the place next to Suan Dok Temple on Suthep road. I also noticed a brand new, clean and crisp looking one (which is quite something for late-night-khao-tom restaurants) on that road/soi that passes the Prince hotel, crosses the Mother of All Smelly Streams and then ends up on Sitthiwong road and the moat near Somphet.

Haven't tried it yet.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thanks for the pointers Chanchao, will definitely check them out. :o

Yes, I was simply too knackered that day to muster the strength to go eat somewhere else. Besides, my GF's mind was so set on their Tom Yam Kung (nam khem khon) that I did not have the heart to speak up...

I hear ya' ... How was the food?

from my standpoint, If I want to go there, I'd rather go into such places and directly confront the owners (not the staff) regarding the double pricing policy. Seems to me that would have a faster effect in possibly changing minds than by having a few people not go there, which the owner has no idea about... Better to pack the place with farangs complaining about the dual pricing (and leaving, if they don't get the regular price).....Of course, I'm not sure how safe the food might be after that! :D

I completely agree Ajarn.

I was debating with myself whether to ask to see the boss about it or not, but in the end decided against it. When I said I was knackered, I mean really knackered... in the state of things where the wrong answer from the boss could have created a situation - I am usually calm and tempered, but when I am hungry and tired I can be a right sour and sarcastic bastard.

The reason I posted it here was mostly because I wanted to see what people thought about the whole thing and make you aware of the issue. I know I will get the Thai price if I go back - they would not dare giving me a farang price when I know the real state of things...

As for the food, their Hoy lai phat nam phrik phao (mussels fried in "burned" chili paste with basil leaves) and said Tom yam kung (with added coconut milk) are actually up there among the best in Chiang Mai - there is a seafood place at Anusarn market that does really good tom yum too, but there are too many tourists and too much general commerce around there for me to really enjoy the food.

Their Khao Khaa Muu sucks.

For Khao Khaa Muu, go to the place at the southern end of Somphet market that does Jook and Khao Khaa Muu instead, or to the two stalls next to each other on Chang Pheuak Market (Chanchao has a photo of one of these places in his food review, but the place next door is just as good too, and the old man who works there is a nice guy).

The rest of the stuff at Khao Tom 1 baht I have tried is normal standard Thai food. Not fantastic, but as good as you get anywhere else.

I eat at Khao Tom 1 Baht frequently and think it's one of the best khao tom places in town, taste-wise. The plaa thap-thim thawt saam rot is the best I've had at any similar place, for example.

I always order from the white Thai menus at 1Baht. You don't have to ask for them as every table is supplied with a couple, in a rack at one end of the table. When a server brings over the green English menu I simply wave it away, so I never noticed that the prices were any different.

I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that there's double pricing for the exact same dishes. It's possible that the dishes listed as costing more on the English menu are larger or contain more meat ingredients than the Thai menu equivalents. I've found that to be the case in many Thai restaurants around Thailand, and have chatted with resto proprietors who say they automatically give more to the farang after hearing farangs complain about small portions. It would be interesting to test this theory by ordering from both menus at the same time.

Either way I wouldn't let it put me off Khao Tom 1 Baht, just order from the Thai menus. My wife & I eat regularly at khao tom places in various parts of the city and have yet to find a place that does the standard khao tom dishes as well. [Aside: Of course none of them, including Khao Tom 1 Baht, is a match for your average BKK khao tom place. ]

One on Suthep Rd that's OK - but not as good as 1 Baht IMO - is Khao Tom Yong. The famous Heh Ha, with branches on Charoen Muang, Anusarn Night Market and Arak Rd, is not bad for seafood dishes but the more standard khao tom accompaniments like phak bung fai daeng, yam plaa sa-rit and chap-chai are better at 1 Baht, I think.

Just my 1 baht's worth ... If anyone knows of a better khao tom place, do tell.

Tom yam kung (with added coconut milk)

I've never seen tom yam of any kind with coconut milk. In fact, I don't care for tom yam because it's usually too sour for my taste, and I sometimes get a little tummy acid going, so I've avoided it for a long time... The addition of the coconut milk sounds like the perfect balance for my tummy.... But does that make it too similar now to tom ka gai I wonder... So, meadish, what do you think of the relative differences in using/not using coconut milk in tom yam?

I'll cruise by and check the parking situation... :o

I've never seen tom yam of any kind with coconut milk. In fact, I don't care for tom yam because it's usually too sour for my taste, and I sometimes get a little tummy acid going, so I've avoided it for a long time... The addition of the coconut milk sounds like the perfect balance for my tummy.... But does that make it too similar now to tom ka gai I wonder... So, meadish, what do you think of the relative differences in using/not using coconut milk in tom yam?

Let's add some more cholesterol to a simple Thai dish.....

Ajarn, you may have eaten tom yam with coconut milk and not known it. Only a little is added, perhaps one or two tbsps, nothing like what you see in tom khaa kai. It's a modern phenom, most tom yam 30 yrs ago never contained coconut milk and of course TY purists say it never should.

TY without coconut milk should appear very clear, not at all cloudy. It's complicated by the fact that a common shortcut for making TY these days is to add a tsp or so of chilli paste, which also 'muddies' the broth. Again the purists say this is a no-no, all ingredients should be fresh and any chili seasonings should come from fresh, not dried, chillies.

I'd say at least half the TY I'm served nowdays in urban Thailand uses coconut milk as an ingredient, often in combination with a dab of chilli paste (or worse, instant TYK soup cubes). In small towns the use of coconut milk is less common, and in Isan it's the least common as most native Isan-ers have an automatic dislike for coconut milk (many northerners too).

A nice variation on tom yam that never contains coconut milk is tom khlong, one of my favourites (I admit to being a purist when it comes to tom yam) but you don't see it very often in restaurants.

Ajarn, you may have eaten tom yam with coconut milk and not known it. Only a little is added, perhaps one or two tbsps, nothing like what you see in tom khaa kai. It's a modern phenom, most tom yam 30 yrs ago never contained coconut milk and of course TY purists say it never should.

TY without coconut milk should appear very clear, not at all cloudy. It's complicated by the fact that a common shortcut for making TY these days is to add a tsp or so of chilli paste, which also 'muddies' the broth. Again the purists say this is a no-no, all ingredients should be fresh and any chili seasonings should come from fresh, not dried, chillies.

I'd say at least half the TY I'm served nowdays in urban Thailand uses coconut milk as an ingredient, often in combination with a dab of chilli paste (or worse, instant TYK soup cubes). In small towns the use of coconut milk is less common, and in Isan it's the least common as most native Isan-ers have an automatic dislike for coconut milk (many northerners too).

A nice variation on tom yam that never contains coconut milk is tom khlong, one of my favourites (I admit to being a purist when it comes to tom yam) but you don't see it very often in restaurants.

My friend's grandmother, a really nice old lady of 70+ who lives in Pattani, would never cook Tom Yam without adding some coconut milk to it.

Ajarn, I have found that if you order Tom[falling short] Yam[mid short] Rod[high short] Khem[falling short] Khon[falling short] - Tom Yam Rod Khem Khon they will add coconut milk, and the taste will be much more to my liking. It is still not unlikely to cause you some anterior burn and rocket fuel syndrome the following morning though, if your stomach has a problem with too much chili in general. (I envy those who do not suffer from this).

While I do eat the clear Tom Yam without complaining, I have never been a real fan. As far as clear soups go, I like Tom Saep better.

And sabaaijai, you are right about the quality of the thap thim fish at Khao Tom 1 baht. It is indeed very good.

As for the size of the portions, maybe you are right. That was not the explanation we were given though.

I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that there's double pricing for the exact same dishes. It's possible that the dishes listed as costing more on the English menu are larger or contain more meat ingredients than the Thai menu equivalents.

So why does the falang beer cost more ?

Does it come in bigger bottles ?

My friend's grandmother, a really nice old lady of 70+ who lives in Pattani, would never cook Tom Yam without adding some coconut milk to it.

In the South, they put coconut milk in just about everything, and turmeric, too. If you look at historic recipes for tom yam -- one of the oldest recipes still used in modern Thai cuisine -- coconut milk was never an ingredient. Not that that should keep anyone from enjoying the nam khon version of course.

Just had khao tom phui at Khao Tom Yong tonight, tried some dishes I hadn't had there before to see if it went any better than previously. And scored well for a change. The plaa kraphong neung ma-nao (sea bass steamed in lime) was very decent, as was a plate of khai phat wun sen (egg fried with beanthread noodles, with pickled garlic and chillies). Phak kra-chet fai daeng and pet pha-lo were just so-so as usual. Very popular spot tonight.

In the South, they put coconut milk in just about everything, and turmeric, too. If you look at historic recipes for tom yam -- one of the oldest recipes still used in modern Thai cuisine -- coconut milk was never an ingredient. Not that that should keep anyone from enjoying the nam khon version of course.

Just had khao tom phui at Khao Tom Yong tonight, tried some dishes I hadn't had there before to see if it went any better than previously. And scored well for a change. The plaa kraphong neung ma-nao (sea bass steamed in lime) was very decent, as was a plate of khai phat wun sen (egg fried with beanthread noodles, with pickled garlic and chillies). Phak kra-chet fai daeng and pet pha-lo were just so-so as usual. Very popular spot tonight.

Is this the place where they have khao tom 'tak free'?

Is this the place where they have khao tom 'tak free'?

Yes, it's free at Yong (assuming you order other dishes of course). Almost free everywhere else, at a baht a bowl ...