Travelers In Isan

Mikey7

To those guys traveling thru Isan, particularly through Nong Khai. Please remember this is not Pattaya or Phuket or Bankok when meeting thye local girls. Check with the regulars whereever you stop in and get the lowdown on the girls you see there. Many are wives or long term girlfirends and are not there to be handled and hustled even if they seem flirty or friendly. It will save you a lot of embarrasment and frustration if you talk to the local Falangs before you make a foolish mistake.

To those guys traveling thru Isan, particularly through Nong Khai. Please remember this is not Pattaya or Phuket or Bankok when meeting thye local girls. Check with the regulars whereever you stop in and get the lowdown on the girls you see there. Many are wives or long term girlfirends and are not there to be handled and hustled even if they seem flirty or friendly. It will save you a lot of embarrasment and frustration if you talk to the local Falangs before you make a foolish mistake.

Here, here... good advice. In fact, I would extend that coverage to every single community in Thailand that is NOT Pattaya, Phuket, and BKK.

Actually the same goes for Pattaya...Not all the women are on the game. A lot of married women or long term girlfriends. Too many times I have seen tourists trying to pick up a woman, while the husband is paying for movie tickets, or settling the restaurant bill, gone to the restroom etc....Big mistake! :o

Yep I agree. I have seen 2 travelers here in the last week almost get punched out buy husbands. Obviously those who live here wish we would see a lot more respect from some visitors. Its just that as anywhere, they really need to realize, as it is anywhere in thye world, the smaller the community, the more conservative it tends to be. Comming out of the tourist meccas into small Thai towns can be a real rude awakening for some L.

Yep I agree. I have seen 2 travelers here in the last week almost get punched out buy husbands. Obviously those who live here wish we would see a lot more respect from some visitors. Its just that as anywhere, they really need to realize, as it is anywhere in thye world, the smaller the community, the more conservative it tends to be. Comming out of the tourist meccas into small Thai towns can be a real rude awakening for some L.

How true in many ways :o

Well like anywhere ladies approached need to tell whoever is pestering them that they are spoken for, pretty simple.

Would'nt that be nice.

One small problem with that . A jealous , drunk husband or boyfriend with a knife that does not go by that simple logic . Best to always be polite and respectful wherever you go .

I'd add the same request for Phuket too. If you are not at a bar on Soi Bangla in Patong, don't assume the lady is a "working girl" - there are many good hearted and friendly people, slowly taking on a cold shoulder to protect themselves from the constant hustle. Let's help keep the local attitudes positive - which is why so many of us have set our homes here.

MadFranky Posted on Sun 2004-10-10, 16:20:39

my mummy once told me that women wear a ring on their finger to show there "not avaliable". Is this not so in issan? 

That would be correct. What we see as a basic rule of the playing field in the west alot of cultures don't. Most Issan folk have better things to spend their limited incomes on than wedding rings. Those who can afford such luxuries do. It would make things a bit easier though wouldn't it?

Mostly, I agree. However, I've got to say that when I was up in and around Nong Khai, I ran into several offers for marriage. It's sad because I was only there for a few days. I didn't pursue it but often such proposals can lead to offers of sex in other parts of Thailand. Kind of bums me out because I dig Issan.

Actually, if someone finds themselves this close to the Lao border and they're looking for that kind of action, they'd be well advised to go to Vientiane. It isn't Nana but it sure is active as far as prostitution goes. Loads of offers. Again, not for me. One chick looked starved by AIDS and seemed an emotional wreck. Sad.

Some people are suggesting that people should consider prostitution to be highly available only in Pattaya, BKK and Phuket (I think). Hate to say it but it's not hard to find just about anywhere in Thailand. Hat Yai, Chiang Mai, stop-offs on country roads (I've encountered this while motorcycling around with occasional stops for food/gas/beer).

Pretty sad.

True prostitution is common throughout Thailad although it is more prevalent in some larger more touristed areas. But just because this is the case, it does not grant the right to assume all women are prostitutes nor does it convey the right to be crude rude and physicaly agressive.

As for the wedding ring, think about it this way. How would you like it if a bloke came up to your young unmarried sister and said I eat your p#$%y for $20.

As for going to Lao have fun LOL Just remember that prostitution is very ilegal there and they have undercover women cops working the streets. $7,000 US if you are caught.

Anyway the purpose of the post was just to ask folks to use a bit of common courtesy when approaching the ladies here. You will get on much better with them and might just save your teeth in the process.

• 1 month later...

Hello all.

I am newbie in KORAT and would like some advice how to get in contact with a nice lady here. Get many smiles from the ladies, in The Mall, Klang Plaza, Big-C. But when I (speak Thai) try to talk to them, they all seems to be sho shy.

Havent got any foreign or Thai friend here yet (who could have intro me to his gf/wife other friends), as I am a "newbie" in Korat - so any advice would be appreciated.

expat2000

True prostitution is common throughout Thailad although it is more prevalent in some larger more touristed areas. But just because this is the case, it does not grant the right to assume all women are prostitutes nor does it convey the right to be crude rude and physicaly agressive.

As for the wedding ring, think about it this way. How would you like it if a bloke came up to your young unmarried  sister and said I eat your p#$%y for $20. 

As for going to Lao have fun LOL Just remember that prostitution is very ilegal there and they have undercover women cops working the streets. $7,000 US if you are caught.

Anyway the purpose of the post was just to ask folks to use a bit of common courtesy when approaching the ladies here. You will get on much better with them and might just save your teeth in the process.

I believe most can agree but my problem is that you seem to feel that your 'girls' are different than most girls here/there and everywhere and that is just not true. Common sense should be used everywhere and that includes Pattaya and tourist places. Which, by the way, do not have more 'night time' activity than other places IMHO. Although it may be more apparent (and that is probably where the people you ask to not be crude should start being more responsible - where they spend the most time). If they act human in Pattaya expect they will in other places. But I do not believe those reading this are going to be a problem anyhow.

As for the wedding ring, think about it this way. How would you like it if a bloke came up to your young unmarried  sister and said I eat your p#$%y for $20. 

I believe most can agree but my problem is that you seem to feel that your 'girls' are different than most girls here/there and everywhere and that is just not true. Common sense should be used everywhere and that includes Pattaya and tourist places. Which, by the way, do not have more 'night time' activity than other places IMHO. Although it may be more apparent (and that is probably where the people you ask to not be crude should start being more responsible - where they spend the most time). If they act human in Pattaya expect they will in other places. But I do not believe those reading this are going to be a problem anyhow.

For the newbie in Korat, I came to Udon two years ago, not really knowing to many people. Your right they all smile, it's because of the drool running down the side of your mouhth ( just kidding) when I first came here, I needed an extra eight eyes just to see all the wonders around me in the mall. You might try this approach if you spek Thia, just say hello and introduce yuorself, Tell them the truth you are new and would like to make friends invite the young lady out for dinner or whatever activity yuo enjoy doing. Suggest that she bring a friend with her, if you get that far chat it up wiht both of them before you will have lots of friends. One thing to remember these girls are looking for a future, don't play them be honest.

You will be an old hand in no time, the way to tell. When your riding at night and a guy riding is bike on the wrong side of the raod with no lights on talking on a cell with a little doll on the back in a mini skirt putting on makeup and you don't notice.

Respect, just a bit of logic will serve you well, there a very few street walkers in Udon or Nong Kia, There i pelnty to be had in the Farang bars and Thia ones as well. But not neccesarilly so in the Discos the young girls go to. There are al leat 12 whore houses in Udon. If you want commercial sex find them and use them just as the Thai guys do.

That little cutie your hitting on may be an immigration officers daughter or the local judges sister. They will enjoy that activity just about as much a you would if it were your daughter, sister or wife. If sex ecapes are all that you are looking for then go where it is more out in the open.

Vientene has it just about the same price as Thailand, but the hidden costs are much more. Better think about it!

For the newbie in Korat, I came to Udon two years ago, not really knowing to many people. Your right they all smile, it's because of the drool running down the side of your mouhth ( just kidding) when I first came here, I needed an extra eight eyes just to see all the wonders around me in the mall. You might try this approach if you spek Thia, just say hello and introduce yuorself, Tell them the truth you are new and would like to make friends invite the young lady out for dinner or whatever activity yuo enjoy doing. Suggest that she bring a friend with her, if you get that far chat it up wiht both of them before you will have lots of friends. One thing to remember these girls are looking for a future, don't play them be honest.

You will be an old hand in no time, the way to tell. When your riding at night and a guy riding is bike on the wrong side of the raod with no lights on talking on a cell with a little doll on the back in a mini skirt putting on makeup and you don't notice.

Respect, just a bit of logic will serve you well, there a very few street walkers in Udon or Nong Kia, There is plenty to be had in the Farang bars and Thia ones as well. But not neccesarilly so in the Discos the young girls go to. There are at least 12 whore houses in Udon. If you want commercial sex find them and use them just as the Thai guys do.

That little cutie your hitting on may be an immigration officers daughter or the local judges sister. They will enjoy that activity just about as much a you would if it were your daughter, sister or wife. If sex ecapes are all that you are looking for then go where it is more out in the open.

Vientene has it just about the same price as Thailand, but the hidden costs are much more. Better think about it!