Chiang Mai-kunming-flights

Rinrada

Chiang Mai by tin budgie to Kunming China :o

Hope to try for a visit to China sometimes next year maybe from C.M to Kunming.

China.

Found out recently that my brothers wife (english)has some relatives (great grandad) buried in the "white ghosts"graveyard in a place called Fuling (Chongqing prov.)and figure a rental from say Kunming (Yunnan prov.)up there for a looksee could be the order of the day.

They were it seemed methodist missionaries(from East Yorks) who like so many other intrepid Victorians in the 1880s saw China as full of heathens and needed a good dose of the +cross words+

Must check the map first since its prob. about 10,000 miles apart :D ...however :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Just cancelled my trip to Kunming as  I hear anti-malarials are necessary, and for a three night visit don't really want a month of Doxycycline.

Any comment?

Actually dont mind the "Doxis"too much but have nightmare memories of the earlier Propos namely ...meloquine and paludine and maloprine.....holy mother of ...g...etc.

A couple of those turned you into a zombie so dont know what it done to the mozzis.

Now I gota admit that I dont bother and just stick to Gins and Tonics...Sweppps..

with ice and lemon (in LOS -lime )

Doxis incidently were one of the main wonder fixes for cases of S.T.Ds/Ghona etc.(Kampuchaea-1991-94) .

We ended up chewing them like sweets,putting them in coffee and even ground them up with paras and sprinkled over the morning "soop-noodles" :D:D

....hangovers plus amongst...... :o

I've taken doxycycline as antimalarial before and had not problem...but you do need to keep direct sun off of your skin or you will turn really red...at least I did. Its not a sunburn but it kind of stings....goes away in about half an hour if you keep the sun off the skin...not really a problem..kind of an interesting phenomenon. It also cleared up my rosasia (middle age acne) which hasn't come back even though I haven't used the stuff in ages. Also its cheap.

I have never had the sensitivity to sun problem while taking doxycycline as an anti-malarial for travels to India, but I have experienced another potential side effect: feeling nauseous. It's never been terrible though and the feeling generally passed in a short time.

You probably felt nauseous after eating it on an empty stomach.

I was actually hoping for comments on the malaria situation in Kunming rather than comments on Doxycycline.

Anyone know about this?

Polecat perhaps?

Small issue..if you mean "car rental" no can do old son. White devils cannot drive in China. At all.

The trip to KM was very good. Stayed at the Green Park Hotel in KM, plenty of well appointed, clean taxis. Heaps of hotels of all classes. Reasonable prices.

Did the trip 4 years back, seems to me we flew to Bangkok from CM then to Kunming. But the return trip was direct to CM. Took taxis to and from airport, very close to city, then used buses in city, and trains to get around. Your hotel can help you with what buses to take, and its a better experience than taxis

They've an ok zoo with white tigers and pandas, really hokey aquarium bit with scuba divers.

Its like CM with many local "hill tribes" around the outskirts of city.

Don't remember the name of hotel where we stayed, but do remember the first room was pretty bad that they showed us, but they changed it readily enough upon our return to front desk.

One of the restaurants we ate at was quite large, 2 stories with the second being a balconey that allowed viewing of the downstairs. All the staff dressed in one of the local tribes garb. A couplel of the staff got me pinched by my wife for looking upon them a bit too long. tea refills were a show unto itself

Stone forests a fairly long train ride, but interesting trip

Did the C/M>Kunming trip earlier this year,also did Nanning,Beahie and Hainan , Most impressed , locals are most courteous and friendly, Thai officials could take lessons from the Chinese in civility. Definately doing a return visit, Did not see a mozzie in Southern China. :o