What Books To Bring From The Us

phormio

I'm planning to emigrate to Thailand with my family at the end of the year, and though do not have a job yet, have high hopes of getting a job next year as a teacher of science, math, or english. I have some experience as a teacher of conversational english years ago in Korea, but have not worked professionally as a teacher. I've also been reading up on TEFL .

My question to the experienced Teachers is what reference books were most valuable to them in the course of their teaching careers in the LoS; particularly those that are not available in Thailand, but which I would be able to find in the States.

Thanks for any suggestions.

:o

As far as conversational-style classes go, you can find all you need and more out here- don't waste your weight allowances on the plane for those.

But for a real subject- including English [in other words, English taught as a formal class at a Western level]- you may wish to look around and see what formal textbooks you like. They're heavy, and they're expensive, but boy are they hard to find out here if your school isn't willing to do real ordering of real English language textbooks (experienced EP teachers will shudder when I mention the dreaded Singaporean curriculum texts). Not that I would ever SUGGEST COPYING THEM EN MASSE TO HAND OUT TO STUDENTS AT STINGY SCHOOLS- nope, that would be illegal, and I'd never RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO THAT.

:o

"Steven"

Actually IJWT is it perfectly legal (or at least so I've been told) to photocopy 'proper' text books and give them out or even sell them...as long as the school doesn't profit from it! Anyone want an Linguaphone Thai set? Going cheap :o

If you check the T&T thread you'll see I've listed some helpful TEFL books (for you to learn from, rather than to teach from!).

As far as conversational-style classes go, you can find all you need and more out here- don't waste your weight allowances on the plane for those.

But for a real subject- including English [in other words, English taught as a formal class at a Western level]- you may wish to look around and see what formal textbooks you like.  They're heavy, and they're expensive, but boy are they hard to find out here if your school isn't willing to do real ordering of real English language textbooks (experienced EP teachers will shudder when I mention the dreaded Singaporean curriculum texts).  Not that I would ever SUGGEST COPYING THEM EN MASSE TO HAND OUT TO STUDENTS AT STINGY SCHOOLS- nope, that would be illegal, and I'd never RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO THAT.

:D

"Steven"

Nice to see that the forums here are full of conscientious and law-abiding

citoyens du Monde.

Exactly my point, trying to find out if any books would be worth their weight in

GOLD, since I'm basically moving to the LoS permanently, with 4 suitcases, a couple of carry ons, and a kid(My wife carries herself).

Buying everything there. otta be fun. :o