Bangkok Vows Crackdown On Nightspots

george

Bangkok vows crackdown on nightspots

BANGKOK: -- Senior Bangkok officials last night led a raid on eight popular city nightspots, and vowed to launch a strict crackdown on entertainment venues in the capital.

The raid, headed by Bangkok City Clerk Khun Ying Nathanon Thavisin, follows a directive from Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra ordering the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to ensure that entertainment venues did not become places of vice for young people.

Together with officials from the police child protection unit, the permanent secretary for the BMA inspected eight entertainment venues in Soi Thong Lo.

However, urine testing on over 100 revellers, including popular actors, failed to find any evidence of substance misuse, and the venues appeared to be correctly licensed.

Nonetheless, Khun Ying Nathanon said that she had ordered district officials across the capital to take strict measures to ensure that entertainment venues complied with legislation, and warned that immediate legal action would be taken against violators.

She also expressed concern over the health of people visiting the capital's nightspots, describing them as smoky and with decibel levels which could lead to hearing problems.

--TNA 2004-10-08

No backpacking, no nightclubbing and no recreational substances. Thank god for 2 hour full body trad. thai massages, cold carlsbergs, som tam, and Isan Girls!

More bad news and sorry to dis-appoint you :o

No more Carlsberg in LoS.

Bangkok vows crackdown on nightspots

BANGKOK: -- Senior Bangkok officials last night led a raid on eight popular city nightspots, and vowed to launch a strict crackdown on entertainment venues in the capital.

The raid, headed by Bangkok City Clerk Khun Ying Nathanon Thavisin, follows a directive from Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra ordering the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to ensure that entertainment venues did not become places of vice for young people.

Together with officials from the police child protection unit, the permanent secretary for the BMA inspected eight entertainment venues in Soi Thong Lo.

However, urine testing on over 100 revellers, including popular actors, failed to find any evidence of substance misuse, and the venues appeared to be correctly licensed.

Nonetheless, Khun Ying Nathanon said that she had ordered district officials across the capital to take strict measures to ensure that entertainment venues complied with legislation, and warned that immediate legal action would be taken against violators.

She also expressed concern over the health of people visiting the capital's nightspots, describing them as smoky and with decibel levels which could lead to hearing problems.

--TNA 2004-10-08

the police came and kicked everyone out @ 12pm in the most popular places down thong lor the previous 2 nights aswell, no urine testing from what I saw though :o

It looks as though no important police or politicians own businesses on Thong Lo! I'll belive their really interested in morality when they start busting the nightclubs at RCA or on Ratchadapisek where the teenage Thai's really hang out.

Of course that won't happen as long as Mrs. Taksin and friends continue to own a piece of the action there! This morality crusade doesn't have anything to do with morality at all. It's all about businesses trying to wipe out the competition.

hi'

Of course that won't happen as long as Mrs. Taksin and friends continue to own a piece of the action there! This morality crusade doesn't have anything to do with morality at all. It's all about businesses trying to wipe out the competition.

may be the same about corruption and drugs :o

what are their goals?

morality .. I doubt of it :D

business and money seems more realistic :D

but they have to be prepared to loose money of not their proud face ...

francois

Time for a BIG notice to greet all tourists in arrivals at D.M. Bangkok Airport.

Welcome to Los etc.........however...

Please DO NOT drink in bars after midnight or big Thai policeman come kick you out.

Please carry Passport at all time or big Thai policeman will arrest you and take you to nice police station unless you make offer to buy him cuppa tea.

Please do not use Ass-Parine,Ass-pro or anything else for your head-achs or you may again go to nice police station with big Thai policeman after he has told you to Pee in glass and prove that you not Ya-ba taker person.

Please enjoy your stay in Thailand and come back again soon :o

Came across this message on another forum:

Up until about 1 hour and 32 minutes ago I would have said don't worry about it, I have been here for 15 years and never had to submit to a urine test or a passport check.

Well, that changed tonight.

Radio City, Patpong. 1:00 am, closing time tonight.

Police every where, and every customer had to pee in a cup to leave. From my understanding, (and I watched until about 02:00) no one tested positive.

This country has gone downhilll quickly and I bet every single one of the tourist in the place will never come back to Thailand again in their life and they will tell everyone that they know also not to come to this country.

[08/10/04]

Anyone been down to RCA since the early nite closings?

Wonder if business as usual??

Started winding down around 1:30-2am last night....

Can imagine a very likely disaster scene - police going on multiple bar raids across the nation, arresting people (including tourists) for carrying no passport on their person. Say a figure of 150 tourists in various cities and resorts around the country end up spending nights in Thai prision cells.

Complaints are made to the travel agents. The travel agents respond by making an announcement to all customers - "AVOID THAILAND". Tourist hotspot of Asia? No more. Have a nice day.

If you think about it, the way things are going, it's not that unlikely...

Its funny to see Rachada Pisek road daily around 2.30 AM. The Pubs are open, Spark Disco is just closing and the Massage Parlours are working overtime. Not to forget the nightly Traffic Jams it causes around 3 AM. But if you havent had enough and want to drink some more, just go to the open-aired Restaurants that serve food and Drinks 24/7.

Wondering why this was possible a Thai friens told me that these places that are opened belong to some very high ranked Thai police and Politicians. Nobody would dare to walk in and shut those places down.

And ofcourse not to forget.... There are no foreigners to be found. Just Thais only!

Was thinking about filming those Bars, Karaoke's and Restaurants some day and mail that tape to Taksins Complain Box. And ofcourse some copies to the News stations.

Was @ the place where everyone got piss tested down thong lor last night, they were not going to let me in without a passport, even though I had a photo copy of it + a Thai bank card and UK driving licence both with photos. Luckyly a thai friend who knew tha manager interveined and got it sorted :o

This town is rapidly going to shit, I for one am lookin to move in tha near future :D

I think that for someone to consider leaving Thailand based on changes to nightlife closing times, the country and people will not shed many tears.  :o

:D Enables those who enjoy Thailand's other delights to get by without having to listen to endless moaning ...  :D

aye, of the same opinion :D But if they start trying to shut the whole country down @ 12pm aswell as bangkok wether its thailand or trinidad the fun factor is just GONE for those that are under 50 as there will be nowhere to go and let some steam off on a weekend :D