‘Correct’ Translation Of Koran To Muslim Schools

george

‘Correct’ translation of Koran to be sent to Muslim schools

BANGKOK: -- A new and ‘correct’ translation of the Holy Koran in Thai, Arabic and English is to be sent to Islamic schools across the country as a mean of preventing the distortion of religious teaching and defusing the situation in Thailand’s southern border region.

The new deputy education minister, Aree Wong-araya, said today on assuming office that his first task would be to ensure that young people understood the Koran correctly, enabling students who had previously received distorted ideas to return to the mainstream fold.

Expressing hope that this would help ease volatility in the country's southern border region, he revealed that teams of Islamic experts had drawn up a new translation of the Holy Koran in Thai, Arabic and English, which now only awaited an introduction by the Chularajamontri, the nation’s spiritual Islamic leader.

The new translation will be presented to the education minister for distribution to all Islamic schools in Thailand.

Speaking of the need to address the unrest in the southern border region by creating good roots for development among young people, Mr. Aree stressed the importance of the Ministry of Education in helping solve the region’s problems.

He compared the situation with a building which had been shaken by an earthquake, and which now needed its foundations strengthening.

In a rallying call for unity, he said: “The history of the nation is the history of Thailand. The history of the area is another issue”.

Describing the distorters of religious principles as ‘traitors to God’, he warned that such people would be punished by God.

He also took the issue with the concept of Jihad, saying that according to Muslim beliefs a Jihad was only permissible in times of intense religious persecution, and did not apply to situations where people merely felt themselves to be unfairly treated.

Mr. Aree, who has been delegated by the education minister to take responsibility for all educational institutions in the southern region, pledged today to travel South to meet the region’s leaders.

He was speaking today after talks with heads of the Islamic committees of the three southern border provinces.

--TNA 2004-10-09

This is the same as many religious foundation books.

For many generations most of the work is transmitted orally, by many followers (there are 11 Imams in Islam, credited with spreading the word). What has then been collected and written down is not the pure word of God, Jhwh / Hashem, Allah, whoever; it is the remembered word of followers, or followers of followers.

I have read several English language translations of the Holy Koran, and all are slightly different, all are open to several interpretations of each phrase, let alone each Surah.

Look also at the Christian Bible. If you are British, you probably believe that the original was written down as the King James version. It is the best that I have read, but it was still a translation of the Latin, which was a translation of the Greek, which was a translation of the Aramaic, which ws written down some 100 - 200 years after the crucifixion. (OK, the letters of St Paul are different, I know). And the Latin had been transcribed by hand for over a thousand years - so how many changes have taken place in the 1500+ years between the crucifixion and the KJ Bible?

This is just the imposition of a new, politically slanted, code of behaviour - which in UK and US would be treated as political 'spin'.

I was reading an article on 'The Australian' website about the wife of a terrorist in Indonesia who is suspected in the embassy bombing and other activities (see cut and paste from website below). What she beleives is unfathomable in my opinion......how could anyone on this earth at this time be able to think like this........it tells me that within certain communities there are sections of those communities that are shielded from education and from other 'outside' influences and this makes these people totally blind to a view of the world outside their own.

From the website.....

"A thin young woman, Munfiatun told police she had worn the face-covering Islamic veil since the end of 2001 and she only thought her husband might have erred because he killed Muslims.

"What is meant by jihad, according to the understanding of my husband Noordin Mohammad Top, is opposing the enemies of Islam; what is meant by the enemies of Islam are the infidels; that is, those outside the religion; those who believe in more than one god, and apostates," she told police. "Opposing the enemies of Islam is to make war on them."

This is what is fuelling hatred ! Sheer ignorance.

Look also at the Christian Bible. If you are British, you probably believe that the original was written down as the King James version. It is the best that I have read, but it was still a translation of the Latin, which was a translation of the Greek, which was a translation of the Aramaic, which ws written down some 100 - 200 years after the crucifixion. (OK, the letters of St Paul are different, I know). And the Latin had been transcribed by hand for over a thousand years - so how many changes have taken place in the 1500+ years between the crucifixion and the KJ Bible?

This is just the imposition of a new, politically slanted, code of behaviour - which in UK and US would be treated as political 'spin'.

I noticed a recent report that the Vatican may make its library of "other versions of the Bible" available on the internet.

I wonder what we have been missing on the Christian side?