Sam Van Treek Accused Of Murder In Thailand

Very interesting situation. I wonder how the situation between the Thai and Belgian government will work out.

Belgian has no extradition treaties with thailand so for now he's safe. of course thailand can issue an international warrant on him which means he could be extradited when he arrives in another country that has a treaty with thailand.

He has submitted himself to the belgian authorities and says he will cooperate in a belgian investigation.

We have two possebilities here.

He is innocent so faced with the choice of pleading guilty to something you not have done , or pleading innocent in a corrupt and hopeless investigation with the death penalty looming i find his choice pretty understandable

He guilty and should be tried of course.

Everybody knows how "Justice" works in thailand. so i think this is a "saving face solution for everybody.

my personal opinion is,

They let him go on bail so he was able to run. Probably because the judge found the investigation crooked.

The judge or police get the million bath bail money

The thai police doesn't lose face

Sam get's to live

The maffia or assasin get's left in peace.

Fine solution for everyone. What i find strange though is that his Laos wife and baby suddenly left pattaya and received a visa to come to belgium. He arrived one week later.

Maybe the embassy helped to get the famillie out and then "hinted" now the rest is up to you.

This is really a warning to all expat's that says a lot about your life there and the legal implications if something goes wrong. something to think about.

I'm sure we will here more from this story. If thailand doesn't react i presume it will be the save face option described above :o

I never thought of that scenario. DK, I agree with your logic.

Obviously, the unfortunate thing about this whole mess is the awful fate of the victim, Jeab. She was a gorgeous girl, and well loved by the Phuket community. What a horrible death...I couldn't imagine being one of her friends and family members at this time, especially when coming across photos of the crime scene and her lifeless, naked body. And the fact, that they'll likely get no closure to this tragic event. Either a killer is still lurking around Pattaya, or he's living a normal life in his home country. What a shitty world this is.

I never thought of that scenario. DK, I agree with your logic.

Obviously, the unfortunate thing about this whole mess is the awful fate of the victim, Jeab. She was a gorgeous girl, and well loved by the Phuket community. What a horrible death...I couldn't imagine being one of her friends and family members at this time, especially when coming across photos of the crime scene and her lifeless, naked body. And the fact, that they'll likely get no closure to this tragic event. Either a killer is still lurking around Pattaya, or he's living a normal life in his home country. What a shitty world this is.

it is indeed very sad that these things happen in our "civilized" world.

Also the thai "insensitivety" to publishing that type of pictures if for our taste much to gross. Although i must say that most parents get confronted with them anyhow when they are in court, as they are produced as evidence.

I don't know Sam van treeck personally but my dispatcher at my new job has been a friend of the family for over 5 years. Everybody i heard who know this man say that he's incapable of such atrosities. What is also missing is the motive. Why would he kill her when they have nothing to do with each other anymore, he had a new wife and baby, she had a new boyfriend, they didn't see each other for some time already, etc..

Further more a farang killing somebody in his appartement would at least try to get rid of the body and then keep quiet. He wouldn't call the police to tell them about it a few hours later. besides he would have dissappeared well knowing the justice system in thailand.

I presume she was killed by a thai boyfriend, husband who was angry she ran away to pattaya from phuket and stayed with another man. or maybe the mob was involved.

I don't think sam is looking to get out of justice , otherwise he wouldn't have returned to belgium and immediatly informed the police and the press.

As a buddhist i see this as just a karmic play between some people and can take some distance of the wright/wrong discussion. But in a social setting this is of course a drama for all concerned. :o

Het laatste nieuws (belgian newspaper in dutch)

Thaise justitie liet nog niet van zich horen over Sam Van Treeck

Sam Van Treeck zal in geen geval uitgeleverd worden aan Thailand.Ons land heeft voorlopig niks gehoord van de Thaise gerechtelijke autoriteiten in verband met Sam Van Treeck. Dat is vandaag vernomen van de woordvoerder van het ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken. Zolang Thailand geen klacht neerlegt in België tegen de reisleider, kan het Belgische gerecht geen stappen ondernemen. Dat zegt de woordvoerster van justitieminister Laurette Onkelinx.

Onze 24-jarige landgenoot wordt in Thailand beschuldigd van moord op zijn 23-jarige Thaise vriendin, maar omdat Van Treeck vermoedt dat er corruptie in het spel is en niet in een eerlijk proces gelooft, vluchtte hij naar België. Hij kwam vrijdagavond aan in ons land, en meldde zich zaterdag zelf bij de politie van Heist-op-den-Berg, waar hij een verklaring aflegde.

Rudy Huygelen, woordvoerder van Buitenlandse Zaken, zegt dat de Thaise gerechtelijke autoriteiten nog niets van zich hebben laten horen. Het is dus afwachten, maar zolang het Thaise gerecht geen klacht neerlegt bij het Belgische federale parket of bij het parket van Turnhout (waar Heist-op-den-Berg deel van uitmaakt), kan en zal het Belgische gerecht geen onderzoek openen tegen Van Treeck. Dat stelt Saar Vanderplaetsen, woordvoerster van minister van Justitie Laurette Onkelinx.

Legt het Thaise gerecht in ons land een klacht neer, dan zal het ook het gerechtelijk dossier tegen Van Treeck moeten overmaken aan het Belgische gerecht. Het onderzoek tegen de reisleider zal dan hier worden voortgezet op basis van het dossier dat in Thailand tegen hem bestaat, aldus Vanderplaetsen. Het Belgische gerecht zal dan moeten beslissen om te vervolgen of niet.

Maar zover is het dus nog niet. De woordvoerster van Justitie wil over één zaak duidelijk zijn: Van Treeck wordt in geen geval uitgeleverd. "België levert nooit onderdanen uit. Dat is zo bepaald in de Belgische rechtspraak", aldus Vanderplaetsen. (VRW/LOD, belga)

I would be interested in knowing the route he took on his escape. Did he just saunter through immigration at Bkk international? Travel across the border into Cambodia?

Dk's assessment sounds about right. Flawed investigation and the authorities turned there backs with the purpose of letting him escape.

I would be interested in knowing the route he took on his escape. Did he just saunter through immigration at Bkk international? Travel across the border into Cambodia?

Dk's assessment sounds about right. Flawed investigation and the authorities turned there backs with the purpose of letting him escape.

he said on the radio he doesn't want to reveal it as it was illegal of course :o