Buying A Condo In Bk: Will Greatly Appreciate Advices

Hi all. I am a foreigner looking to stay in Bangkok long-term, perhaps for life. I am thinking of buying a condo with the following conditions:

1. I can keep my 3 dogs (less than 10kg each). I understand most condos don't allow pets, especially new ones.

2. I would like space of between 180 and 450 sq m. I understand my "pets requirement" limit me to a much shorter list of condos, so my space requirements has to be flexible.

3. I would prefer a condo that's within walking distance to a BTS station (under 10 mins), preferably along the Sukhumvit line.

4. I need a decent size pool for a proper swim.

5. If it's an old condo, a well maintained project with a good management team is necessary. I prefer a relatively newer one, but I understand most of the new ones don't allow pets outright. I also understand projects by Major Developments (like Fullerton and Hamptons) allow pets. I do have these 2 condos under my radar.

6. If possible, a big balcony or roof-top garden for my dogs to run about. So, penthouses would be excellent.

7. In particular, I am considering the following areas: (a) Thonglor or Ekamai (further away from the tourist crowds in the lower Sukhumvit sois, yet near to the new California gym next to Major cineplex (I gym 5 times a week), near to the new medical suites at Nusa Siri, near to amenities at Major cineplex and Healthland; (:o all areas near the other lower Sukhumvit sois' BTS stations are fine too, especially if they are near good hospitals and supermarkets. My centre of activities are probably California gym, Siam Paragon and Central World.

My budget is flexible, ranging from 15m baht to about 40m baht, depending on what I am paying for, although I will probably end up with the lower price level as I suspect I will pick a wrong condo for my first purchase and hence I should limit my loss during my resale later.

Among projects that I have looked at during my trip to Bangkok last week are: The Met & Domus (do not allow pets); The Lakes (layouts do not suit me, too hotel-like); Fullerton penthouse (layout is wasteful, price too high, unit too hot and poorly ventilated); Manhattan (I do not like the area).

I would appreciate if some of you can advise me on which project I should look at, what I should look out for other than those conditions above, what I should ask about a project before I decide on buying it, which areas are considered good or bad in Sukhumvit/Langsuan areas, etc.

Thanks.

Keith

Dear Keith

I just finished renovating a Penthouse on the Thonburi side, approximately 35 mins by car from Soi Langsuan where I live. The penthouse is on the 30th floor of a Condominium Building but with no access to BTS yet! Pets are allowed and lots of VIPs are living at the Bangkok River Marina Bldg and enjoying both cats and dogs.

The penthouse comes with its own Pool and Spa and covers an area of approximately 850 sqms including 5 bedrooms. The place has been renovated in the past 8 months and is officially not yet available. Unfortunately, it is not for sale although offers for Baht 100m+ have been received. Should you be interested in renting the place please let me know.

Looking forward hearing back from you

yours

Miguel Angel Aerni

post-18876-1208097916_thumb.jpg

post-18876-1208097941_thumb.jpg

post-18876-1208097989_thumb.jpg

Edited by migangae

Dear Keith

I just finished renovating a Penthouse on the Thonburi side, approximately 35 mins by car from Soi Langsuan where I live. The penthouse is on the 30th floor of a Condominium Building but with no access to BTS yet! Pets are allowed and lots of VIPs are living at the Bangkok River Marina Bldg and enjoying both cats and dogs.

The penthouse comes with its own Pool and Spa and covers an area of approximately 850 sqms including 5 bedrooms. The place has been renovated in the past 8 months and is officially not yet available. Unfortunately, it is not for sale although offers for Baht 100m+ have been received. Should you be interested in renting the place please let me know.

Looking forward hearing back from you

yours

Miguel Angel Aerni

CONDO FOR SALE

ASOKE TOWER CONDO

Unit Description:

Unit 215/8, Total: 295 sqm, 11th Floor, "Garden Suite"

Approx 255 sqm interior, 40 sqm outside (garden+entrance)

2 Bedroom 3 Bathroom, large kitchen, maid quarters

Building Description:

On main Asoke Road

28 Floors, 99 units only (completed 1986)

5 min walk (350m) to MRTA-Petchburi

15 min walk (900m) to BTS-Asoke (MRTA interchange)

In front of Asoke Tower Condo

Restaurant, Banks, Office

Entertainment, Commercial

Andy 081 928 7572 (English)

This is near bare-unit pricing for a reasonably furnished condo but still need some bit of work. Use the money you save to design and decorate into your own unique home. Neighbouring developments are asking for >Bt80,000 per sqm.

Building has all the necessary facilities including swiming pool, fitnesss center, restaurant, maid facilities, and large common area.

Close access to MRTA/BTS (walking), new AirportLink at Makassan station (5min taxi), office, commercial areas, and night entertainment.

Condo is also 15mins walk from N.I.C.E. International School and Wattana Thai School.

Hi Miguel,

Thank you very much for your offer. Your penthouse views do look very nice. Unfortunately, I prefer the Sukhumvit area and am looking to buy rather than rent. I also do not have the budget for your unit. Nevertheless, thanks very much for those very nice pix.

Keith

Hi Andy,

Thanks very much for your offer and info. Does the unit have a big balcony or garden? There seems to be some open space for air con compressors. I can't tell from the photo if the pool is of a decent size, so that i can do laps.

By the way, is this a freehold condo? I forgot to add earlier that I am only looking at freehold condos.

I will contact you before my next trip to Bangkok, which will perhaps be next month.

Thank you very much.

Keith

Hi Andy,

Thanks very much for your offer and info. Does the unit have a big balcony or garden? There seems to be some open space for air con compressors. I can't tell from the photo if the pool is of a decent size, so that i can do laps. By the way, is this a freehold condo? I forgot to add earlier that I am only looking at freehold condos. I will contact you before my next trip to Bangkok, which will perhaps be next month. Thank you very much.

Keith

hi keith, yes, it has a big balcony (u can grill outside) which is the two pictures you see (the 2nd pic with air compressors is to the right of the first pic). the pool is of decent size but will get you measurements. yes, it is a freehold condo, and you can register in your name as foreigner (or company). building allows pets but they do have certain restrictions outside of the unit. there is a number of fitness clubs (True Fitness, California WOW) on asoke (within 100-800m of condo). btw, the thai government has waived 2% transfer tax for property purchases till mar09 so good time to be looking!

Dear Keith,

I have got a confirmation from condos that pets are allow.

Would you please PM yr e-mail to me.

So that I can sent you details of the units.

It's a two years old condo, close to California Gym.

I think it has all you want.

I was recommended a big unit at Regent Park III at the end of Sukhumvit Soil 39. However, i was advised by a friend that this condo is a depreciating asset because of the integrity of the juristic management. Is juristic management the professional manager of the estate (like a company) or does it consist of a group of volunteer owners? Actually, why is poor juristic management so serious an issue, since owners can sack one and replace it with a better one. N is poor juristic management rampant in Bangkok? How do I know whether a juristic mgt is good?

this is the unit i was looking at:

http://www.condosalebangkok.com/detail.php?id=59

Can someone offer some advice? Thanks.

MikiPlus, I have PM u. thanks.

Kaxper, thanks for your help. I will take a look at your unit when i next fly up to BK in about a month's time.

thanks keith .. PM me your email too.

the juristic management is basically an entity is "owned" by the condo owners, whose board is basically the condo owners or representatives of the condo owners. the juristic entity will collect the common area fees and manage these monies (including the original sinking fund). normally, the juristic entity will engage a professional service company to manage the condo, pay them via the common area fees. problem arises when 1) condo owners do not pay on time (or some not pay) leading to cash shortfall, 2) juristic entity directors/manager are lazy/inept/corrupt, or 3) the manager being engaged by the juristic entity is inept. this results in the building being worn down and common areas not being take care off.

the solution is basically a more proactive and participative condo owners who can always force changes in the juristic entity. key is always occupancy of the building .. the more that are occupied (either owner occupied or tenants), the more likely it is that common area fees are paid by all owners and on time, and the building is run better. best is to just go and visit the condo buildings and you will quickly find out of the juristic manager is competent or not.

suk39 is a nice residential neighborhood but regent park 3 may be tucked too deep in the soi (closer to petchburi than sukhumvit) for your liking.