Songkran Death Toll Rises To 180

george

hi there 2 years ago i got shot by one of them water guns going up beach road, down i went ....i was on the motor bike ended up with grazed leg+ 8 stitches and 5 hours at soi 4 hospital now i think i was lucky i didnt get hurt real bad .

Now i walk and only when i need to at this time of the year. cheers.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure I agree that people should control others who are doing dangerous acts while drunk! such a stopping them driving for their safety and that of others!

But, when do we get off telling Thai's to become westeners, I left the UK because of the lack of freedom, to park my car where I want! to drive my bike with the wind in my hair! I have life I can make my choices. I know there are idiots who could take my life. But, I have the choice.

If I feel the event is too risky, I don't go! On Songkang Hols I inist my wife takes her car to market not a motorbike, shes not worried, but I want my dinner! LOL

I came to live here with her because I wanted to have some control in my life, and I have learnt to live with "stupid" acts from Thai's, and I will scream at them as will my wife!

But I give the bikes 2sec longer before moving off the the lights, blow my horn at most junctions and warn bikes that I am behind them if they wobble more than 3 ins, or more than 2 up or have 50kilos of rice balanced on the back of the bike.

Chance will come in time, but, please don't let them change to western ways. Where is the fun in that?

A cynic might say that that as Thailand does not have a war to fight, this is Mother Natures way of culling the population. I read today also that the Interior Minsiter is considering banning alcohol at Songkran next year, that would make it like a 7 day election and kiss goodbye to even more tourists. Let's face it, whatever we say or think, nothing will change because the Thais seem to LIKE risking their own lives and that of others with lunatic behaviour. I feel truly sorry for the loss of life incurred thus fare and for what is still to come. Happy Songkran, stay at home!

What a great idea - As I live here full time the thought of a dry Songkran (alcoholicly speaking) is music to my ears. No more drunken tourists thinking it's hilarious to soak residents trying to get on with their daily life. I often wonder how one of these "funseekers" would feel about having a bucket of iced water poured over him as he was on his way to work or the supermarket??

I'm no killjoy and have no problem with those that want to enjoy soaking each other from having their fun....BUT move it off the roads, get it into park areas let those whp don't want ot get involved get on with their lives in peace. If it was just 1 or even 2 days it wouldn't be a problem but here in Pattaya 10 days??? It's absurd - no wonder many residents leave the country for the period!

10 days? That must have changed this year or have I just missed the other 3 days in the past?

MANGOSTAYS, you've got to be kidding me. This is my 4th Songkran here in Chiang Mai, and every year I've been here, it's the Thai people (newspaper, news, politicians, and just ordinary people in the neighborhood) who are complaining about the death toll during Songkran... and not just farangs here on this forum. I mean seriously, it's Thai people who are mainly dying. I thought GDHM brought up many valid points. One, the helmet law enforcement is atrocious here in Chiang Mai, except towards the end of the month. Also, the percentage of people who drive with actual valid driver's licenses is pretty bad itself. Well as for the nice polite throwing of water, that I've just haven't seen here in Chiang Mai (and I've been everywhere here over the last 4 years).

Take today for instance... On the way to the moat for the festivities, my wife and I were on my motorbike (both of us wearing helmets). At the White Elephant Monument there is a police checkpoint, and instead of the police actually checking and pulling people over for drunk driving, not wearing seat belts, or not wearing helmets, the police were throwing ICE water at those passing by and those who weren't throwing water were sitting in the shade drinking. One thing when you are off-duty, but to be on duty and doing this is sort of shocking IMHO.

As for those who complain... I'm not for banning of Songkran, or banning of Alcohol, but it makes sense to have the Police do a better job of making sure those who do drink and drive, don't wear helmets, etc., are punished. Sure it's not the US, but for many who get caught drunk driving, have to pay stiff fines, possibly lose their driving privileges, and made to clean up the highways in bright orange jumpsuits. So why not have those who cannot afford to pay heavy fines, actually do some sort of community service like cleaning up the millions of plastic bags on the streets and roads.

It is a trade off isn't it? Thailand is a mixed package, to start changing one thing will have a cumulative effect. The point many here miss is that the Thais don't agitate for change, as such it is reasonable to assume most like things the way it is. Plus many foreigners find more plusses than minuses or wouldn't be here.

Songkran is something you plan for. I have kids so can't avoid it, they naturally love it. Some twits have claimed that the farnags changed Songkran into this free for all. But it is the Thais doing most of it. Adults pick a street corner and throw water on passer bys for days on end, why don't they get bored? Same goes for the guy driving the pickup for days on end with the back packed with drenched revellers.

It is though the poor old motorbikes that really cop it tuff. My car was out of action so took the bike, really copped some heavy hits to the face and head, am an experienced rider and braced for it, but can see how easy someone could lose control. Thais probably blame it on karma. If you have a car you can go through Songkran dry as I did last year.

Sober drivers here are bad enough and yes the drunks are lethal. Change will prabably will come in time, but as in all countries, politicians change things when there are votes in it. Or apply a simplistic fix to show they are acting, but no realstic improvement is seen. Still just a few more days to go... :o

300-400 dead ... it's not that much, compare it with the living deaths in EU, that's far worse ... take a chill pill !!

You should tell that to my Thai mother in law.

Her eldest son was killed by a drunk driver. She has been suffering terribly since the day he died.

Your an idiot.

It is ok Lah, if you die in accident it had to happen, this is called faith.

No worry maybe in your next Thai life you will be a LB as you have been having sex with other girls then your wife.

Mai pen rai.

Please believe me, most Thai people do not care about anything.

They just live day by day.

I stay in Pattaya last Songkran with my Australia husband, and I see drunk tourists everywhere throwing water and some times bucket loads at people as they walk past or ride a bike, also the girls in the bars want to look smart so the join in to impress their Farang boyfriends

This year I go to Songkran in Australia where respect is shown, and no one is drunk or throw water

So as a Thai I say ban all drink in the bars, and drinking in public places, and if we loose drunk tourists I not care

Maybe then more good farang will come to Thailand, and we have respect for our holidays

I never will come Thailand again in April

A cynic might say that that as Thailand does not have a war to fight, this is Mother Natures way of culling the population. I read today also that the Interior Minsiter is considering banning alcohol at Songkran next year, that would make it like a 7 day election and kiss goodbye to even more tourists. Let's face it, whatever we say or think, nothing will change because the Thais seem to LIKE risking their own lives and that of others with lunatic behaviour. I feel truly sorry for the loss of life incurred thus fare and for what is still to come. Happy Songkran, stay at home!

What a great idea - As I live here full time the thought of a dry Songkran (alcoholicly speaking) is music to my ears. No more drunken tourists thinking it's hilarious to soak residents trying to get on with their daily life. I often wonder how one of these "funseekers" would feel about having a bucket of iced water poured over him as he was on his way to work or the supermarket??

I'm no killjoy and have no problem with those that want to enjoy soaking each other from having their fun....BUT move it off the roads, get it into park areas let those whp don't want ot get involved get on with their lives in peace. If it was just 1 or even 2 days it wouldn't be a problem but here in Pattaya 10 days??? It's absurd - no wonder many residents leave the country for the period!

Excuse me if i'Ve mis-interpreted a line above... "no more drunken tourists" .... the Thais don't get drunk during Songkran?????? You live here full time??? How long would that have been?? 27 years have shown me that the most problems with this country have been self-inflicted by Her own loyal compatriates... TIT

No worry maybe in your next Thai life you will be a LB as you have been having sex with other girls then your wife.

Mai pen rai.

Hardly the meaning of "FAITH." It is indeed called something quite different. I am not so sure what Thailand you live in that MOST Thai people are without care. :o

Mai pen rai.

Hardly the meaning of "FAITH." It is indeed called something quite different. I am not so sure what Thailand you live in that MOST Thai people are without care. :o

I hope he means fate. Faith is when you are in your place of worship and it blows up. :D

It is though the poor old motorbikes that really cop it tuff. My car was out of action so took the bike, really copped some heavy hits to the face and head, am an experienced rider and braced for it, but can see how easy someone could lose control. Thais probably blame it on karma. If you have a car you can go through Songkran dry as I did last year.

Heading down 'Heartbreak Hill' from Kamala on the scooter in the early morning (thought it would be safe) took a full bucket of water in the face. So farkin angry I could easily have murdered someone. Still makes my blood boil.

So next year went to Patong in the car suit and tie for work, the eejits jump out in the middle of the road IN FRONT OF A MOVING VEHICLE and demand the windows be wound down.

All I ask is no water throwing at or from moving vehicles by the gods of common sense.

Even they where to ban alcohol next year, it is only the sale, thus people will stock up prior... also note songkran for example has only lasted 1 day in Samui.... how they could ban for 7 days!, kiss goodbye to the tourists!!!!

If they pin pointed the promblem to BAD policeing, maybe there would not be so many deaths.......

I myself have lost a very good friend yesterday who was killed..... he will be just another satistic, but the crash/acciedent was avoidable if the police where doing there Job !!!!!!!!

Yes give the police the fault, you are not really reaslistic arent you.

maxi

To begin with, they are the biggest crime syndicate in the country, don`t let the uniform fool you, secondly, they are directly responsible for the way people drive year round by not patrolling the roads where the carnage http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...d=1926410

Complete Edithappens and pulling anyone over on the spot when committing infractions, standing on the corner with shiny boots for a thousand years will never change anything. There are practically no patrol cars I bet because they would be scamming the petrol needed to run them and ripping off parts for resale. :D, Cops couldn't help busting a safe in Phuket, it was loaded with tsunami aid money and no one was punished :o, how could they manage a simple budget for a fleet of vehicles? The only vehicles available seem to be shiny new pick up trucks reserved for carrying top brass from home to work and meetings or old pick-up trucks where the whole night shift is cowardly cramped in the box at the back doing their rounds after dark. I`d love to interview the top forensic scientist of ths country and discuss about these guys, I bet she could keep us entertained for hours.

Edited by Tony Clifton

I spent most of this Songkran in the hospital, well actually 2.

I rescued my sister in law from the government hospital

and a 4 hour+ boat transfer to an different gov. hospital.

And added weeks or years of hel_l no doubt..

6:15-6:30 AM Friday a truck stopped much more abruptly

than it normally should have, without normal signals,

as normal as they ever get used here.

She rear ended it face first.

Thank the gods, pick one, she had a helmet on.

She would not be here now. She only has a shattered jaw,

and 2 years minimum of a plate from ear to chin, and lots of dental work.

After 6 hours on the operating table with a real, professional surgeon.

But she will live, still look sweet and has all her faculties.

I transfered her, on my dime, to a good farang cliented hospital,

with a staph that can actual take and read xrays, and CT scans,

the government hospital couldn't even TAKE a simple xray...

let alone fix a face properly. I looked, I could take a better xray,

I have NO DOUBT.

Of course the cost is high, most Thais are not insured,

and trucking companies don't feel the need to inssure delivery vehicles

more than the mandatory.

But family first I will take care of her.

It seems most people start to disregard the normal rules of the road

a notch more during Songkran, must be something about renewal

and washed aways sins. They seem to ignore even more caution,

in favor of re-incarnation having just been purified.

The problem is THEIR actions affect others. Who likely may NOT

want to come back as something else, but continue in this life time.

I saw another bad accident this morning mini-van cuts across to driveway,

and motorcyclist with morning shopping hits it head one,

and leaves head shaped dent on minivan front.

10 am....

It is not hard to cry for the Thai people on a day such as this....

Edited by animatic

Lets face it. The driving tests in all countries do not even mean you are a good safe driver but that you have satisfied the MINIMUM levels of competency to be allowed to drive on the roads with a full driving license.

YES YES YES PLEEEEEAAAAASE - imagine they would enforce this ... no more traffic jams any where in Thailand since only 1 out of 10,000 of current drivers will be able to drive

One should also see one major fact which causes the high death rates here .... 8 people on the back of pick up - 4 people on a motorcycle - one accident 12 dead

Policing ????? just the other day driving into Bangkok I noticed : 2 so called Policemen on a byke driving through red lights .... another driving up the wrong lane against oncomming traffic ...... a Motorbyke with a whole family (2 adults and 2 small kids) driving up the wrong side of a major road with lots of soy's going off and cars coming out .. of course you can hardly see anything when coming out of one of those sois since carsare parked right to both cornersand you have to edge your way out .... the wording "common sence" is simply not in the Thai dictionary nor is concern for others

A great thing about Thailand is the freedom. Some people from the west think that a policed state makes us "safer". But by restricting and controlling everything, you lose your freedom. You might "feel" safer, but you are only giving up your freedom to choose.

If you really have a problem with a holiday in a country that you are visiting, stay indoors, or go home. Why do people always want to control everything?

Blah, Blah, Blah,

It is the Thais country and they will do and think how they want. You don't have to agree with them but should respect that it is their country. If you don't like what transpires during Songkran, then don't visit during that period. If you live there, it is one of the many things about Thailand you have decided to tolerate and accept in return for living there. I lived there for 4 years and stayed in during Songkran going out only when it was necessary and prepared myself accordingly.

It comes around every year around the same time.....no surprises.

Regards,

Martian

Songkran death toll rises to 180

BANGKOK: -- A total of 76 people were killed and 1,103 others were injured in road accidents on Sunday, the third day of the 7-dangerous-day of Songkran festival, the Road Safety Monitoring Centre announced Monday.

Jaral Phakdeethanakul, permanent secretary for Justice Minister who is an official of the road safety centre, said 1,018 road accidents happened Sunday.

He said the accumulated death toll of the three first day of the seven dangerous period rose to 180.

He said 2,238 accidents happened from Friday to Sunday, in which 2,514 people were injured.

Jaral said drunk driving was still the main cause of the accidents and 84.18 accidents involved motorcycles.

-- The Nation 2008-04-14

I feel sorry for the parents of the young folk that arrive full of party spirit only to end up involved in accidents or to be mixing with undesirables, as well as making the roads safer, perhaps tourism would be further encouraged if they deal with the drunk drivers more severly.

A great thing about Thailand is the freedom. Some people from the west think that a policed state makes us "safer". But by restricting and controlling everything, you lose your freedom. You might "feel" safer, but you are only giving up your freedom to choose.

If you really have a problem with a holiday in a country that you are visiting, stay indoors, or go home. Why do people always want to control everything?

Thailand a free country ????

There are so many rules that it is impossible to move without doing something wrong!

And all the accidents is your own fault , that has nothing to do with police. I saw once a thai with an immense motorcycle. He put a baby not older than 6 months before him and drove away . I couldn't believe my eyes !

And really Thailand is a police state!

Songkran death toll rises to 180

BANGKOK: -- A total of 76 people were killed and 1,103 others were injured in road accidents on Sunday, the third day of the 7-dangerous-day of Songkran festival, the Road Safety Monitoring Centre announced Monday.

-- The Nation 2008-04-14

Any other uplifning news?

Maybe they might consider cancelling a holiday which encourages acting like a damm fool for 7 days.

Thai driving laws with regard to drunkenness, speed, safety belts and helmets have all been passed by the government and are similar to those in European countries. the only difference here in Thailand is that they are mainly not enforced.

In fact very few laws seem to be enforced here, anyone being arrested for having broken a law invariably pays off the police or others (except the very poor of course).

This begs the question why have a police force and a government? Why not just one free for all? But then isn't that more or less what we already have?

Lets face it. The driving tests in all countries do not even mean you are a good safe driver but that you have satisfied the MINIMUM levels of competency to be allowed to drive on the roads with a full driving license.

How about a 10 year old retarded boy who lives around here and drives around sometimes with a motorcycle and side cart. :o People see him go by and laugh...

Decent policing as we are used to and citizen participation will usually and eventually quickly weed out the really bad or crazy drivers. Drivers making mistakes learn and remember when paying hefty fines instead of bribes and learn even more when demerit points accumulate. One thing missing in Thailand is what I like to call cop-car-a-noia, where you do something illegal intentionally and look in over your shoulder and mirrors to see if a policeman spotted what you did, totally non-existent here, hence the tailgating, speeding and record death tolls and injury count.

There are a few comments mentioning "freedom", well, freedom my a s s, people should have a driver's license to begin with when using a vehicle on the roads, and a driver's license is a permission to drive according to the laws, it's not a right!

thaifever

thats a naive , childish and selfish viewpoint.

and not until you or your wife or child get hit and injured by a speeding drunken driver exercising his freedoms without fear or hindrance from the police can we expect your opinions to mature and attain any semblance of sense.

Edited by taxexile

None of this is surprising from what I saw yesterday...

20+ people in the backs of pick-ups absolutely wasted and falling out on the pavement...helmetless motorcycle drivers drinking beer out of pitchers while driving fast through soaked masses of people...kids running out in front of traffic while their bombed/soaked parents dance (all this while police turn their heads until they have to assist a tragic accident)

It was unbelievable. The mass tolerance of drunken behaviour on the roadways was beyond imagination.

As I said in an earlier post, we have not stayed in Thailand during SK before and definitely won't again. Going out and witnessing people in harm's way is not the way I want to spend my time off. :D

I felt like I was back in the infield in Indianapolis in the 70's. Problem is...it wasn't contained to a 2.5 mile oval...it was everywhere and kids were involved. :o

This water throwning madness must be restricted to areas (like the beach) and times so that people can get on with their normal lives. Why should I have to stay indoors for a week because some tossers want to throw water at me even though it is plainly obvious that I am not out to play.

That is assault and should be punished with a hefty fine and locking the perpetrator up. Westerners as well. Give them an area to be wanke_rs in and let them get on with it. Just let us get on with our lives.

As for the death toll, then as long as they just kill themselves I don't care. It is when they affect other innocent people that I get upset. It willl never change because they don't want it to change.

How does this compare to day 3 of last year?

Good question! Since this year there have been alot more safety campaigns, the strongest being "Drink driving". It appears they have wasted their time and money, which is a real dissapointment. For once I was impressed by the governments initiatives but seems like their words are falling upon deaf ears:(

I have just come back from working in Rayong where the accidents all involved alcohol.

Today is my first day of working back in BKK so will be interesting to see if its the same here.

BTW: note the amount of unreported minor to moderate accidents are probably double++ the reported amount.

Have a safe and happy Songkran out there everyone:)

thaifever

thats a naive , childish and selfish viewpoint.

and not until you or your wife or child get hit and injured by a speeding drunken driver exercising his freedoms without fear or hindrance from the police can we expect your opinions to mature and attain any semblance of sense.

I find it funny how people can give others a pasting when all they are doing is expressing a point of veiw which in this case I tend to agree with the original poster. These things happen back in our own countries even with the over policing and regulations. In fact I believe you won't be able to fart in Australia soon as it will be classed as bad for the environment and you could be fined. Like it is now illegal to throw snow balls in Tasmania because some kid was hurt by one with a rock in it. :o

I for one put up with Songkran. Yes it is a pain in the arse but so is the traffic back home at holiday times. If you don't like it then piss off. :D

I don't believe that the culprit is just alcohol either. Ignorance and over-exuberance are equally to blame.

In Pattaya a lot of accidents are caused by motorcycles swerving to avoid being drenched. The shock of being hit with a large bucket of ice cold water also contributes to a lot of accidents.

The article makes a special mention of motorcycles, but fails to explain that they are the main target of the water sports.

This BS has got to stop! Throwing water at moving vehicles is just too f**king dangerous.

Edited by tropo