Canon Eos 450d Kit

The new Canon EOS 450D is selling at a pretty cool price of 27,900 B for 12.2 megapixels, a 3-inch screen and the same Digic III processor and sensor cleaning system as the 40D.

A comparison of the 40D Vs the 450D is here:

http://rikkus.info/canon-eos-450d-vs-40d.html

The 18 - 55 IS (APS 29 - 88) has had some pretty good reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_...3p5-5p6_is_c16/

A preview of the 40D is here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/XSI/XSIA.HTM

Anyone bought one of these yet?

Anyone else apart from me planning to buy one?

Forget about the bragging factor and plastic/ss bodies versus Magnesium Alloy body covers, it's about 10,000 B cheaper than the the similar 40D kit.

Incidently the same kit is being sold on advance order pending stock arrival in Australia for A$1,499 (THB 43,653)

Anyone like to suggest why - in practical photography - not esoteric reasons why they think the 40D is worth the extra money?

Same dust cleaning system, larger file sizes, same processor, same size screen, same new menu system.

One step down - not necessarily a disadvantage - slower maximum shooting rate of 3.5 fps on the 450D vs 6.5 fps on the 40D.

Good posting and thanks for bringing it to (at least) my attention.

Looking at the reviews and others on the web it most certainly looks value for money as well as being an excellent camera in its own right.

The only thing that "worries" me is the use of SD cards as opposed to CF.

I'm a little vague on these SD cards. What is the largest size available, are they as fast, are they as robust?

Assuming all ok in this respect, I would most certainly consider purchasing the kit as a back-up to my 5D.

Look forward to further posts on this thread

I'm a little vague on these SD cards. What is the largest size available, are they as fast, are they as robust?

The 450d uses either the SD or the newer SDHC (high capacity). SD has a limit of 2GB (using FAT12/FAT16) formating. SDHC is up to 32GB.

Scroll down this page to see comparison > http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digit...mory_cards.html

Personally I believe more cameras will be going the SDHC route. They are much smaller allowing for more features to be added to a camera. My SE k790i phone (Cybershot camera inside) has a 1GB SD card and my Canon S5IS has 2GB SD card but can except a SDHC if I need the expansion.

The 450d uses either the SD or the newer SDHC (high capacity). SD has a limit of 2GB (using FAT12/FAT16) formating. SDHC is up to 32GB.

Scroll down this page to see comparison > http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digit...mory_cards.html

Personally I believe more cameras will be going the SDHC route. They are much smaller allowing for more features to be added to a camera. My SE k790i phone (Cybershot camera inside) has a 1GB SD card and my Canon S5IS has 2GB SD card but can except a SDHC if I need the expansion.

Isnt the K790 Sony M2 ??

I remember my k750 was Sony MS Pro Duo and that my K850 takes a choice of cards but I could have sworn I bought a 1GB M2 for the GF's phone ??

The SDHC cards have a less complex pin/contact structure allowing for more robustness in insertion/removal and less likelihood of user damage.

For me, I tend to get images off the card as soon as possible and do a quick edit in the field to free up clearly unusable images. I suspect a 4 Gbyte class 4 card will be ample and fast enough. I don't really see the need for the "faster" flash cards.

There's a wealth of info on SD/SDHC cards here too: http://www.sdcard.org/about/sdhc/

Also this press release from the same site. I'm not sure if the url will work as it's on the site as a PDF document. Apologies if it doesn't.

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/pdf2ht...&images=yes

ORLANDO, Fla. ­ March 26, 2007 -- The SD Card Association announced today at

CTIA 2007 that the 5 million Japanese consumers who watch mobile TV programming

on their phones ­ and can record the programming with SD High-Capacity (SDHC) and

SD memory cards ­ will more than double in 2007 to 12 million mobile TV viewers.

Thirteen handset models feature SD recording technologies today and three-quarters of

all mobile phones in Japan are equipped with SD slots.

blah, blah, blah

Just to update this a little. I went and had a look at one today at Photobug and compared it side-by-side with an EOS 40D.

Not a lot of difference between the two. The EOS 450D doesn't have the large thumb wheel on the back as does the EOS 40D. Overall the new body is slightly smaller and lighter but not unduly so. The front grip is a little smaller as well.

The 3-inch screen is nice and bright, as to is the viewfinder. The menu system between the two is remarkably similar as well.

The nine-point focusing system appears identical and the the 18-55 IS lens is fast, smooth and quiet.

Overall a very impressive unit for the price and nothing about it that I saw while in the shop that would convince me the extra money for the EOS 40D is really necessary.

I'll probably head back tomorrow and buy one and see how it performs.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a few places such as digital2home selling the Japanese version of the 450D for around Bt 1,400 less ie. Bt 26,500 including a 2Gbyte SD card which provides storage for about 380 12 megapixel JPEG images of 4272 x 2848 pixels (Large Fine) from digital2home.

The only difference is that the Japanese version is badged as the Kiss x2 and has a warranty supplied by the shop as opposed to Canon Marketing Thailand. Doesn't make a lot of difference as the shop needs to send them back to Canon Thailand for any servicing issues during the warranty period.

I also have the 40D but I'm quite happy with the Kiss x2.

Anyone with big hands might find it a little small but the 40D menu system and big 3-inch screen are brilliant.

The lens is quiet nice but with it's micro motor is a lot more noisy than my USM L series lenses. Also, as the front element moves on focus it means using filters such as a polarising or special effects type becomes a bit painful.

Coupled with something such as the 24-204 F4L though and it's a fairly nice match. Nice, compact, light, quick to use and the Digic III processor seems to handle things quite nicely.

Plenty of scope for adjusting image quality too.

So far, highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wandering in Dubai Duty Free at the weekend.

They had the Canon 400D, 40D and 5D side by side.

It was interesting to see how each was a step up in size up from the others.

Something to consider before purchasing.

They also had the EF 70-200L F4 IS USM lens that I have been after. :o

More on that when I really get to grips with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone bought one of these yet?

Anyone else apart from me planning to buy one?

It came into my life yesterday.

I have SLR's but it's been years since they've been out of the closet. Started out with the classic OM10, then danced around with others from Olympus until they were no longer dependable. Switched to the brainless digital point and shoot types until the DSLR's came down in price.

I have two questions:

1) Are there any decent photography classes that do not charge US$300+?

2) If you could buy just one lense for zoom, which one would you pick for around US$200-300?

Btw - here's a entry level photography blog: digital-photography-school.com/blog

I don't know the pricing and suspect it may be out of what you are looking at but I find the 24-105 f4 L a useful everyday lens.

The supplied kit lens is nice when you need wider.

Other than I carry a 70 - 200 f2.8 L and 300 f4 L with one or the other bolted on to the second body and they get me out of any situation.

I can't fault the Kiss2 (EOS 450D) so far. some minor adjustments needs for colour saturation but that's normal.

Outstanding, affordable DSLR and one that will cause a drop in sales of the EOS10 for sure.

I don't know the pricing and suspect it may be out of what you are looking at but I find the 24-105 f4 L a useful everyday lens.

The supplied kit lens is nice when you need wider.

Other than I carry a 70 - 200 f2.8 L and 300 f4 L with one or the other bolted on to the second body and they get me out of any situation.

I can't fault the Kiss2 (EOS 450D) so far. some minor adjustments needs for colour saturation but that's normal.

Outstanding, affordable DSLR and one that will cause a drop in sales of the EOS10 for sure.

Thanks, I'll check around. I've heard Oman has cheaper prices on lenses so I'll see what I can come up with.

• 3 weeks later...