Govt Says Tap Water Is Now Safe To Drink

junkofdavid2

Bangkok tap water is normally safe to drink - in fact it consistently tested better than bottled water even 25 years ago. But there is always the chance of contamination so even now most people will filter in some way. Holding tanks are normal everywhere (but they may be much larger water towers to many of us).

How does the water supplier qualify the statement "...is safe to drink?" Was the water tested at random locations (from consumers taps) throughout Bangkok? Or was it tested at the exit point of the water treatment plant?

What about "backflow prevention"? Does it exist in Thailand? I've mentioned this several times before on TV & nobody seems to think anything of it. In actual fact, this is particularly important in Thailand due to the low pressure water supply system used here.

A short story...

About 15 years ago (or so), over 100 people were admitted to hospitals in Sydney (Australia) & treated for poisoning. This was as a result of a sudden reduced water supply pressure. The pressure reduction allowed "contaminants" to be sucked into the water supply line. When the normal pressure returned, people drank the water & then got sick.

Below are some weblinks about "backflow prevention".

http://www.sydneywater.com.au/BuildingDeve...kflowOccurs.cfm

http://www.sydneywater.com.au/BuildingDeve...entBackflow.cfm

It is a dangerous statement for the government to make and an even more dangerous one to believe. A lot of buildings, especially small guest houses in tourist areas are not on mains water. They rely on water trucked in daily and who checks the source of that water? So the tourist arriving in Thailand is told the water is safe, meaning the mains water but how is he/she to know the source of the stuff in their bathroom?

Even where a place is on mains water, as has been said, the water is usually stored in a break tank on the roof. This is similar to the UK where the only tap allowed to take water direct from the mains is the kitchen cold water tap. In the UK it is well known that you should only drink the water out of this tap and not others where the water has been stored in the break tank.

I am afraid that, knowing the wackiness of Thai government employees and the (face saving) statements they make, I will continue to drink only bottled water in Thailand and advise others to do the same. Probably okay if you are out in the sticks drinking well water but in large towns and cities I'm not taking the chance.

It is a dangerous statement for the government to make and an even more dangerous one to believe. A lot of buildings, especially small guest houses in tourist areas are not on mains water. They rely on water trucked in daily and who checks the source of that water? So the tourist arriving in Thailand is told the water is safe, meaning the mains water but how is he/she to know the source of the stuff in their bathroom?

Even where a place is on mains water, as has been said, the water is usually stored in a break tank on the roof. This is similar to the UK where the only tap allowed to take water direct from the mains is the kitchen cold water tap. In the UK it is well known that you should only drink the water out of this tap and not others where the water has been stored in the break tank.

I am afraid that, knowing the wackiness of Thai government employees and the (face saving) statements they make, I will continue to drink only bottled water in Thailand and advise others to do the same. Probably okay if you are out in the sticks drinking well water but in large towns and cities I'm not taking the chance.

You wouldn't catch me drinking "well water" in Thailand. I'd sooner take my chances with tap water. Can you imagine the "quality workmanship" & "attention to detail" that is used when installing the sewer piework in Thailand? I wonder if anybody has ever thought about how a leaking sewer pipe can affect the water table?

Another short story...

Some years ago, I used to work for a Waste Water Treatment company in Australia. This company made domestic & commercial waste water treatment systems. As part of the company marketing strategy, a couple of geomorphologists (from a Sydney University) were contracted to do a study upon the "run off" water & "tap water" in an area west of Sydney (called Picton). Picton did not have a sewer system at that time. The "run off" water was deemed as being;

a. storm water in underground drains.

b. natural & man-made water collection points (dams & the like).

The 1 year study required the placement of a multitude of data collecting devices. These devices sampled water at various locations (see a. & b. above) throughout the town, on a weekly basis. The tap water was sampled once per month but from many different homes.

After 1 year, the results were collated & it was decided that further study was necessary bacause of unacceptably high levels of Ecoli bacteria found in the collection areas & in the tap water. The further study was to find out where this bacteria came from.

The results showed that the Ecoli bacteria came from the septic systems (the old & outdated anerobic type) of homes. The bacteria appeared in the "run off" water due to water table events. It appeared in the tap water also because of the water table & also because that some areas had a faulty water supply pipework system (it leaked). Had the water supply system been a low pressure type, similar to that used in Thailand, the results would have been a lot worse.

If you have a well & a septic system, you may like to think again.

Edited by elkangorito

Most water supplies have residual chlorine to try and kill off bacteria that may enter the system after the treatment plant. I was once told that it should be enough to protect against problems as long as there are several water changes per day. If the water tanks are designed to give you a full day of ride-through in loss of city water then you should have some supplemental treatment.

Interesting comment on the backflow preventers as well; a backflow preventer is basically two check-valves in series. While many of the water pumps are provided with single check valves, normal practice in the US is to ensure that you have a backflow preventer at the incoming meter-- this ensures integrity of the water supply. Additional ones are placed anywhere the water becomes industrial/non-potable supply, such as make-up water intakes for chilled water systems, to ensure that these systems don't contaminate the domestic (potable) water supply.

UV treatment of water for drinking at point of use should be pretty safe where the government insists the water is drinkable.

Have you checked for dead birds, rats etc in the roof tank? :o

Exactly. I once lived in an apartment block (here in Thailand) where it was the responsibility of the residents to go roof-side to clean out our own water tank about once a year. The disgusting things (dead and alive) we found in it! :D

After that, I wouldn't even use the tap water to wash the dishes. Unfortunately, showering with it was a necessity but absolutely disgusting. Bits and pieces of god-knows-what kept plugging up the shower head.

Edited by toptuan

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who used to manage high rise condos in Bangkok, I urge you all NOT to drink the tap water in your condo.

A certain condominium development I know, but can not mention, had the soilwaste pipe run over the top of the underground water storage tank.

The tank for the soil waste was right next to the tap water tank. Sharing the same wall. Now before my time the sealant was not checked and cracks had developed, which allowed the soiled water to seap right through the wall and into the tap water tank. This resulted in many residents in hospital from drinking the tap water. Thankfully everyone recovered. (Even more thankfully this occurred before my tenure!)

In any event, don't risk it, I saw the paper records of the water tests, and I will NEVER drink tap water in Thailand, EVER!

Filter systems are inexpensive, easy to fit and work. Buy one.

As someone who used to manage high rise condos in Bangkok, I urge you all NOT to drink the tap water in your condo.

A certain condominium development I know, but can not mention, had the soilwaste pipe run over the top of the underground water storage tank.

The tank for the soil waste was right next to the tap water tank. Sharing the same wall. Now before my time the sealant was not checked and cracks had developed, which allowed the soiled water to seap right through the wall and into the tap water tank. This resulted in many residents in hospital from drinking the tap water. Thankfully everyone recovered. (Even more thankfully this occurred before my tenure!)

In any event, don't risk it, I saw the paper records of the water tests, and I will NEVER drink tap water in Thailand, EVER!

Filter systems are inexpensive, easy to fit and work. Buy one.

Thanks for the advice.

However, I wonder which filter system is "good enough"?

Are those cheap ones in Tesco okay?

Or, would something as simple as a Brita "pitcher type" water filter be okay?

http://www.fridgefilters.com/brita-classic...on-pitcher.html

I live alone so I need to compare if it's cheaper to buy my own water filter or to get it from the coin operated Reverse Osmosis machine down the soi... :o

post-34215-1209823117_thumb.jpg

I still use tap water for cooking, if I'm going to boil the water more than 5 minutes or so. Am I "in the clear" when doing that? Or are there still critters that can survive the "boil?"

In general the tap water in Bangkok is excellent. Now mind you I live in a house so I can control the state of my storgae tank.

AT MY HOUSE the water is safe to drink but I don't because the cholramine makes it taste funny. Ditto ice. I do use tap water in my coffee maker with no side effects (filter/drip).

I bought one of those 3 stage stainless steel jobbies with stage 3 being a ceramic filter. Excellent value for money.

To the gentleman above - you should use the rev osmosis machine in your building.

Okay, this is the 'compromise' I do...

For my drinking water, i buy water from the reverse osmosis machine downstairs.

For my "cooking water" (soups and stuff), I first filter out impurities using the Brita pitcher-filter (see above), and then of course the water afterwards gets "disinfected" when it's being cooked. :o

I still use tap water for cooking, if I'm going to boil the water more than 5 minutes or so. Am I "in the clear" when doing that? Or are there still critters that can survive the "boil?"

In the refugee camps in Sudan we always insisted on a 20 minute rolling boil to ensure everything possible had been exterminated.

Bangkok tap water is normally safe to drink - in fact it consistently tested better than bottled water even 25 years ago. But there is always the chance of contamination so even now most people will filter in some way. Holding tanks are normal everywhere (but they may be much larger water towers to many of us).

Tanks... and what about the pipes !

Sure, the water is probably safe... just after the water station... :o

• 1 month later...

That went out with the ark.

This house was built in 1967 and all cold taps are mains fed.

Considering the level of 'quality construction' or lack-of, including water pipes, not to mention proper health department checks/monitoring, etc., I think I'll stick to bottled water when in Bangkok.

Maybe this is an all out effort to increase the farang traffic and drug sales at the local hospitals. My wife and Thai friends would NEVER drink the tap water in Bangkok or anywhere else in the Kingdom.

Edited by Tomissan

If you could connect your water supply directly to the main supply where the water leaves the filtration plant and no one else could connect to this supply----------------------maybe---------just maybe your tap water would be safe to drink. But, seeing there are hundreds and thousands of other people tapped in to this same system and transported through miles of who knows what quality of piping either a very high quality treatment system in your own residence is necessary or bottled water is mandatory.

• 1 year later...
I bought one of those 3 stage stainless steel jobbies with stage 3 being a ceramic filter. Excellent value for money.

I just bought one of these from Central Lad Prao and I guess I should have investigated firt before buying, but I now find myself wondering if it was the best purchase for my BAHT.

It is the stainless steel 3 stage, charcoal, ceramic, and resin, filter system. It will be used in an apartment building in a Thai neighbourhood (if that matters?).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers,

tt

I just bought one of these from Central Lad Prao and I guess I should have investigated firt before buying, but I now find myself wondering if it was the best purchase for my BAHT.

It is the stainless steel 3 stage, charcoal, ceramic, and resin, filter system. It will be used in an apartment building in a Thai neighbourhood (if that matters?).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers,

tt

If it is not osmosis or UV treated, you need to boil the water first before drinking. But will be safe to use it for cooking and washing fruits and veggie.

The water here in Bangkok is safe and has been safe for the last 30 years in all but the lowest pressure areas. US Embassy made tests in late 70's and found tap water purer than any bottled water being sold. There is always a chance of contamination but it is getting lower every year and is true of any city in the world.

That said most people are pessimistic and we have all seen activities that will make us wonder. So some kind of filter is probably a reasonable precaution for drinking water. The old three stage filter with ceramic final stage is what we have used for last 40 years. In most cases you are trying to lower level of bacteria rather than kill virus so they work well for that. If you want to play Howard Hughes and live in a clean room fine - but you probably will not last any longer.

• 5 months later...

Saver then India, thats sure, but not save. Your comment is a hymn on Bangkok water, maybe I misunderstod something on the gouverments website for waterquality, there actually one resort with a DO from 0.4 and two other with DO under 3. (DO means dissolved Oxygen).

At last: Quality is not made by a part of a system, quality is a worktogether from all parts. And water come out of the tap...

Am not sure what your dissolved oxygen has to do with the quality of tap water. I normally associate that with fish survival. Can you explain?

When I say safe it is tested to international standards at treatment plant and I am only talking about Bangkok - there is always some continuation later but in most locations it was better than the most popular commercial bottled water 30 years ago and the distribution system has been much improved since that time.

Too true.

"I am afraid that, knowing the wackiness of Thai government employees and the (face saving) statements they make,"

Why are people always inclined to believe what they are told or what they read in the national papers.

I've been drinking it for a year. No problems short term at least. Still tastes like crap. You're not thirsty but it's not refreshing.

I've been drinking it for a year. No problems short term at least. Still tastes like crap. You're not thirsty but it's not refreshing.

Yes..of course it is safe to drink when it leaves the water works, maybe even when it gets to your house. Then the problems start if you have a holding tank ie you use a tank and pump.

Firstly it usually sprays in through the float valve, so you loose some chlorine immediately and the rest will be gone in a day or two anyway if the water is not continually making up. Then there is the problem of ensuring that all tank access is completely sealed. Have you seen what size gaps that those lizzards can get through. I'm sure that they like a little drink now and again and a big piss.

We just about only use that water for the garden, for washing etc we are lucky that the main supply pressure is ok so I leave the pump switched off most of the day.

We also have a water filter, actually an Amway, but you don't need to spend all that money. Just make sure it has a UV light and some sort of fine filter, also carbon if you don't like the taste of chlorine. But don't buy one that softens the water..softened water is really bad for your health.

If you live in a brand new condo and there is no holding tank then maybe ok, if you drink water that goes into a holding tank, odds are that you have a tile loose.

Also if you know that some underground pipework repairs are to be done, shut your supply valve and let everyone else get that contaminated water when the supply is restored!

I agree, that you don't know the quality of bottled water. It wouldn't surprise me if some distributors just fill from their taps, especially those large containers!!

I considered drinking the water, until I saw a white worm come out of the tap. Kinda like a tape worm. After that, only bottled water. Even the locals drink bottled water. I would never drink the tap water here, even if boiled. Boiling only kills the bacteria, but does not get rid of the heavy metals, etc. Brita filters do next to nothing...UV, RO, etc are a necessity...and who would believe a government report here? Not me...