Has Anybody Read The New Andrew Hicks Book Yet?

garro

<br />An autobiography (or close to it)? Well that might be more worth a look. Hopefully its more engaging than the usual cynical Expat meets bar girl, falls in love, gets cheated, learns a tough lesson, tripe that is turned out all too often.

I think that you can find excerpts from the book here;

http://www.thaigirl2004.blogspot.com/

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<br />An autobiography (or close to it)? Well that might be more worth a look. Hopefully its more engaging than the usual cynical Expat meets bar girl, falls in love, gets cheated, learns a tough lesson, tripe that is turned out all too often.

I think that you can find excerpts from the book here;

http://www.thaigirl2004.blogspot.com/

Agreed, Qiuksilva!

MY THAI GIRL AND I is the antithesis of the 'bar girl burned my fingers' story. It's about me at a low point in my life meeting Cat and us working hard to build a new life together.

Living in a small village can be challenging at times but it's been rewarding and we're hanging in there.

I hope the book is fun to read but that it also paints a picture of the cultural and other obstacles a farang faces when settling here in Isaan. There's quite a lot of us farang out here so it should ring bells for a lot of people.

There are loads of negative stories out there but this one is upbeat and positive... and it's got lots of pictures!

You've had a week to read it and I'm waiting for the feedback, especially the reviews in the media.

Andrew

Good to hear it Andrew, I think there should be more positive stories coming out of Thailand, after all its a place many of us love, despite all of its short comings. Yet what we tend to see most of is the doom n gloom horror stories.

Nobody will deny that Thailand certainly has its fair share of frustrations but there are just as many issues, if not more, back home and I think many people lose sight of that.

I'll look for the book this weekend.

Edited by quiksilva

I don't want to be nasty, but I have to ask myself if Mr. Hicks considers writing a career or just a hobby?

When I see a book on Thailand by Stephen Leather, John Burdett, Jake Needham or Jerry Hopkins, I don't have any doubt that they were published by a major publisher or could be. When I see something written by Andrew Hicks, I assume that he published it himself or got a local Thai publisher to do it.

It is true that I have never written a book myself - I don't have any talent. Maybe some of Thailand's many farang "authors" need to consider this as a possibility? :o

So basically your argument is that the big publishers churn out the quality stuff and that those outside this little group should avoid writing? I was brought up loving books, and I have always enjoyed stories rather than brand names. I don't feel that the best-seller is necessary the best written book.

Of course it is easier to get published in Thailand due to it being a much smaller pool. I think that it is great that people who enjoy writhing can catch a break here. I understand that you are a bookseller. Of course you can decide what to stock in your shop, but I would say that generally it is the reader who has the power and their power is increasing. Some recent very good sellers have been through non-traditional publishing.

In a way I am happy to see that amazon, and others, is now taking over the market. This will mean even less chance for book-sellers to get in the way of what people want to read. It will also be a shame because I have always adored book stores. Still, you need to keep up with the times and your views seem somewhat outdated.

Edited by garro

I am honestly trying not to be cruel, but I am also trying to be honest. Writing is a difficult business and rejection is a big part of it.

I am saying that Stephen Leather, John Burdett, Jake Needham and Jerry Hopkins are real, professional writers and that is why they can get a real professional company to publish them. In my opinion, Mr. Hicks does not qualify. There are other good writers around the area, but these people were the first to spring to mind.

I have looked through Mr. Hicks books a few times and I am quite happy to sell them if the customer doesn't ask my opinion. When they do, I would probably refer them to something similar, but by a (IMO) better writer. His writing is fine for an amateur who is just starting out, but very weak for a published writer.

I am not saying that Mr. Hicks will never be good. That is for him to find out. In fact, he is better than a lot of his Thailand expat peers, but many of them are just plain terrible.

It is difficult for me to say if he just got published way too early (by doing it himself), or, like me, writing is just not his forte', but I have little doubt that what he is churning out now would never get published by a major publishing company and is the kind of thing that should be given out to freinds for free. When and if a pro decides that he is good enough to publish, he should probably start over useing a different name.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm sorry UG. I respect your opinion as somebody who spends a lot of time around books, but I disagree with you. I'm a constant reader - I always have been.Perhaps you are too. As I said, for me the test of a book is my ability to lose myself in it. I give every book 100 pages, and if it doesn't grab me then I discard it. Some of the books others have raved about I never bothered finishing. It's a personal thing. Maybe my tastes are not sufficiently high-brow, but I read for pleasure. I'm not too concerned with the business side of things.

There is a stigma attached to those who get into print through non-traditional ways but that is changing. Look at John Grisham, publishers wanted nothing to do with him and he ended up self-publishing. It was only when his books were selling so well that the publishing housed decided that they wanted their cut. So having a big name publisher isn't the end of it all. More and more writers are moving away from non-traditional publishing, and it is not always just because they weren't invited to the party.

I am honestly trying not to be cruel, but I am also trying to be honest. Writing is a difficult business and rejection is a big part of it.

I am saying that Stephen Leather, John Burdett, Jake Needham and Jerry Hopkins are real, professional writers and that is why they can get a real professional company to publish them. In my opinion, Mr. Hicks does not qualify. There are other good writers around the area, but these people were the first to spring to mind.

I have looked through Mr. Hicks books a few times and I am quite happy to sell them if the customer doesn't ask my opinion. When they do, I would probably refer them to something similar, but by a (IMO) better writer. His writing is fine for an amateur who is just starting out, but very weak for a published writer.

I am not saying that Mr. Hicks will never be good. That is for him to find out. In fact, he is better than a lot of his Thailand expat peers, but many of them are just plain terrible.

It is difficult for me to say if he just got published way too early (by doing it himself), or, like me, writing is just not his forte', but I have little doubt that what he is churning out now would never get published by a major publishing company and is the kind of thing that should be given out to freinds for free. When and if a pro decides that he is good enough to publish, he should probably start over useing a different name.

I'm afraid your honesty has probably taken a big bite out of a few egos. Personally I consider all "Thailand" writing and stories to be driven primarily by ego and not necessarily talent. After a few beers I'm sure they will recover their inflated sense of self, however.

Of course there will always be egos involved. Even publishing a blog involves an ego.

Of course it does.

Yes, of course -- the problem is that good writing involves so much more than that.

Of course it is easier to get published in Thailand due to it being a much smaller pool. I think that it is great that people who enjoy writhing can catch a break here

Nice typo, Garro :D .

I agee that that self-publishing ( aka Vanity publishing :o ) is not necessarily an indication of lack of ability BUT it is equally true that certain self-published works would stand not a snowball's hope in hel_l with a reputable publisher.

I have mixed feeings about the fact that every man and his dog, cat and Hello Kitty can now have seven blogs and a corpus ( :D ) of self-published books. I like the fact that this opens up possibilities for people and encourages writing & creativity in general, but dislike the fact that we seem to be losing much sense of discrimination. Writing for your own pleasure and satisfaction is great, but why do so many people believe they are the next Stephen King, Barbara Cartland, or Shakespeare ? Good writers are not so uncommon, but we hardly have enough time per lifetime to read the very best - the ones you can get lost in, the ones that make you linger as you near the end because you have loved them so much and want to stay with them longer, the ones that make you say, "WOW" and which stay with you long after. I really don't want to waste my time with the mediocre or weak, I'm afraid.

Garro's writing looks promising, judging from the blogs. The temple story is powerful in itself, and I expect the book would be compelling. The strength and breadth of character he displays also suggests he might be capable of wrting of interest beyond the autobiographical.

Edited by sylviex

it also paints a picture of the cultural and other obstacles a farang faces when settling here in Isaan. There's quite a lot of us farang out here so it should ring bells for a lot of people.

It does, unfortunately for me I can't stand listening to another one of these stories and I try to avoid clicking on threads like these on TV, too.

But that's me.

I don't want to be nasty, but I have to ask myself if Mr. Hicks considers writing a career or just a hobby?

When I see a book on Thailand by Stephen Leather, John Burdett, Jake Needham or Jerry Hopkins, I don't have any doubt that they were published by a major publisher or could be. When I see something written by Andrew Hicks, I assume that he published it himself or got a local Thai publisher to do it.

It is true that I have never written a book myself - I don't have any talent. Maybe some of Thailand's many farang "authors" need to consider this as a possibility? :o

Ulysses G, you have a point, I grant you. 'Good books' are not only found at big publishers though.

I'd like to profess to be a professional writer with books published by Oxford University Press (COMPANY LAW, Hicks and Goo, 2008) and Monsoon Books in Singapore (THAI GIRL). But for obvious reasons Oxford University Press wouldn't take my new book, MY THAI GIRL AND I!

Likewise Stephen Leather could not find a publisher for PRIVATE DANCER, even though he had a raft of thrillers published and huge sales with his London publisher. Big publishers expect novels to fit a commercial formula and that's a bit sad. I celebrate the maverick publishers that exist in Thailand therefore.

In the West, the big chains of bookstores dominate bookselling. They buy only from the major publishers who take new authors only from professional agents. And it's near impossible for a new author to get an agent. It's said that one in a thousand novels that are submitted get published and that's probably a high estimate. There's an element of luck and much good stuff never sees the light of day.

I therefore celebrate the fact that Thailand is relatively open to new writers for whom this could be called a writers's paradise and I'm grateful for the opportunity it has given me. The buyer has to beware that the selection on the shelves is mixed but ultimately the market will decide. Distributors such as Asia Books don't order any more copies if your book fails to sell.

My novel, THAI GIRL has become "one of the top-selling novels ever published in Thailand" and if I were allowed to do so on this forum, I could tell you where a host of extremely positive reviews and feedback about the book is collected together. I have been extremely gratified by the book's sales and the feedback I have received.

As for my new book, MY THAI GIRL AND I , a broad commentary on living in Isaan, I'm awaiting the feedback anxiously. I have worked extremely hard on it and I take it seriously as a professional writing project, so it's more than just a casual hobby.

Studying English lit. at school we were led to believe that there were absolute standards of good and bad writing. Of course there are but just as importantly there are books that you like and books you simply don't like. A lot of people are really gripped by "THAI GIRL". "I read it at one sitting." "I've read it three times." "It explained so much about my experiences in Thailand." etc. But I know I can't please all of the people all of the time. Some may be irritated by it!

Ulysses G, I respect your views on the authors you mention. I think Stephen Leather is a great story teller. Burdett and Needham are of course accomplished writers but personally I'm not so keen on their stories and Jerry Hopkins, who has a place down the road from me in Surin, is the consummate old pro. Of late his delightful books have been published not by a huge publisher but by Periplus in Singapore.

I'm now wondering where Ulysses G. sells books. Garro obviously knows something I don't.

Finally, the openness of the Thailand book scene can be credited with a remarkable new book and that's Garro's LAST ESCAPE, about how he fought alcoholism in Thailand. I read it over a day or two and I found it rivetting.

So let's all keep writing, be positive about a vibrant literary (?!) scene and celebrate our good luck at being here in Thailand. That's what my new book's about!

Andrew

Thanks for the mention Andrew.

Here are some positive reviews from readers of your book to balance out so much negativity here.

“Thai Girl” is a story which has great passion for Thailand and its idiosyncrasies.’ METRO MAGAZINE.

The physical setting and the rhythms of life here are beautifully observed.’ James Eckardt, THE NATION

‘Hicks has done very well in his pen sketch of the Thai psyche of the Isaan girl, who can be open and closed, off-hand and standoffish all at the same time.’ Lang Reid, PATTAYA MAIL.

I found you book highly readable and days after finishing it I'm still thinking about it. Please say you're writing a sequel - I'd love to know what happens next. I thought your Thai characters were very well drawn and Fon certainly dispels many of the stereotypes.

Caron Eastgate James, author of 'The Occidentals'

Many more can be found here;

http://www.thaigirl2004.com/introduction.html

Studying English lit. at school we were led to believe that there were absolute standards of good and bad writing. Of course there are but just as importantly there are books that you like and books you simply don't like. A lot of people are really gripped by "THAI GIRL".

You are 100% correct here. I always have to remind myself that although I don't enjoy the style of John Irving, many people - whose opinions I respect - love him.

I've also got to say that I have heard good things from customers who were asking for Andrew Hicks books. Maybe I will give him another try! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Studying English lit. at school we were led to believe that there were absolute standards of good and bad writing. Of course there are but just as importantly there are books that you like and books you simply don't like. A lot of people are really gripped by "THAI GIRL".

You are 100% correct here. I always have to remind myself that although I don't enjoy the style of John Irving, but many people - whose opinions I respect - love him. I've also got to say that I have heard good things from customers who were asking for Andrew Hicks books. Maybe I will give him another try! :o

Too late for that UG, Andrew Hicks' fans have already begun boycotting your shop in droves :D

You are 100% correct here. I always have to remind myself that although I don't enjoy the style of John Irving, many people - whose opinions I respect - love him.

I've also got to say that I have heard good things from customers who were asking for Andrew Hicks books. Maybe I will give him another try! :o

I know what you mean about John Irving. A bit too much the slick lawyer. One book of his I loved though and that's 'The Painted House'. Well up with 'The Grapes of Wrath'... and Steinbeck wrote some awful books too.

Books sell well if like, John Burdett they have the marketing clout of a huge publisher behind them. The problem is that the publisher develops their writer as a 'brand' and the writer is required to churn out a new novel say every year. That's when sometimes a writer cannot keep up the pace and the quality slips.

Better therefore to read the less commercial writer who has conviction!

I took the overnight bus from Surin to Bangkok last night and have wandered round some Asia Books and Bookazine shops. The staff recognise the guy on the front of MY THAI GIRL AND I and they say it's selling well.

I'm still waiting for the first person to stick their neck out and say what they think though. (I've resisted prompting my friends!)

Andrew

I know what you mean about John Irving. A bit too much the slick lawyer. One book of his I loved though and that's 'The Painted House'. Well up with 'The Grapes of Wrath'... and Steinbeck wrote some awful books too.

Andrew

I believe the book you are referring to is called "A painted house", and is written by John Grisham. He has a very different style from John Irving. I like both, but for different reasons.

Good luck!

Writing is always a hobby until you get paid for it.

My hobby generated 5 novels over a period of about 12 years .. none ever published. One was shopped around the houses in NY by a real live literary agent .. but it "wasn't quite right" for any of them.

A manuscript submitted to Zebra Books brought a nice letter from an editor. Though it was a "not right for us at this time" rejection; the editor went on to explain that he had read the story .. didn't think I could not deliver on the plot .. then went on to congratulated me for doing so and doing it well.

Writing is easy. Writing well is difficult. Getting a major house to publish a manuscript is a miracle.

A novel being self published says nothing about the quality of the writing .. more about timing and the book marketplace.

Andrew

I believe the book you are referring to is called "A painted house", and is written by John Grisham. He has a very different style from John Irving. I like both, but for different reasons.

Good luck!

John Irving is probably most well know for "The World According to Garp" or maybe "Ciderhouse Rules" which were both made into movies. He has a very unorthodox style that a lot of people really love, but which I find difficult to follow. I really like Kurt Vonnegut Jr., so it isn't that he's too weird, Irving just isn't my cup of tea.

Andrew

Good luck!

John Irving is probably most well know for "The World According to Garp" or maybe "Ciderhouse Rules" which were both made into movies. He has a very unorthodox style that a lot of people really love, but which I find difficult to follow. I really like Kurt Vonnegut Jr., so it isn't that he's too weird, Irving just isn't my cup of tea.

I liked "The Hotel New Hampshire" and "A Widow for a Year" as well, very much.

But, to style, now I am into Fyodor Dostoevsky. "Crime and punishment" (which also goes under another name, I think the name of the protagonist, Raskolnikov?). But I know that the book that is really "me" is still waiting for me in my bookshelf. No cigar for the title, but if I venture that it is also by Dostoevsky, and has a short title, can anyone guess? Ulysses? Andrew? Mobi? Naam? Guesthouse? Bendix? Oh come on, it is a sitting duck really.

Writing is always a hobby until you get paid for it.

My hobby generated 5 novels over a period of about 12 years .. none ever published. One was shopped around the houses in NY by a real live literary agent .. but it "wasn't quite right" for any of them.

A manuscript submitted to Zebra Books brought a nice letter from an editor. Though it was a "not right for us at this time" rejection; the editor went on to explain that he had read the story .. didn't think I could not deliver on the plot .. then went on to congratulated me for doing so and doing it well.

Writing is easy. Writing well is difficult. Getting a major house to publish a manuscript is a miracle.

A novel being self published says nothing about the quality of the writing .. more about timing and the book marketplace.

Clearly someone who knows about the agonies of writing!

Incidentally, being self-published can also be about cash. My experience is that having a publisher can yield royalties as low as 4%. If you self-publish and crucially can get the book distributed, you may recieve 50 or 60% of the published price.

Cutting out the publisher as middleman you do all the work and take the risk but ultimately it can be far more profitable. Some very good authors do it so don't knocj self-publishing.

Andrew

Actually Taxexile I am not sure if the author was trying to teach you anything. He was just relating a series of experiences from living in a Thai village in Isaan and this is a far cry from the "cops and robbers" or Burdett fiction style of book that, whilst they may be good escapism, are nearly always focused only in Bangkok or other major tourist spots of Thailand.

As I also live in an isolated Isaan village there were many things in Andrew Hick's book "My Thai girl and I" that I could easily relate to from my experiences - some of his reactions to various situations may have been completely different to mine but in being able to see myself in many of his experiences provided me with many moments of appreciation and enjoyment.

The day to day challenges, frustrations and fun of living here are never ending and so I envy the fact that someone has the capacity to capture some of these experiences.

As the book is non-fiction and a great attempt to share a farang's experiences of village life in the North-East of Thailand, I believe many people like me will appreciate and enjoy sharing his experiences.

If you want to learn a bit about Thai culture try reading some of John Burdett's books e.g Bangkok 8, Bangkok Haunts, Bangkok Tattoo etc. Full of all the prejudiced opinions that you find on TV but good entertainment and also helps you to understand some aspects of down-to-earth Thai culture. Well that's my opinion. Shoot away!

bang bang !

i dont think these stories will teach you anything about thai culture , they may be entertaining to some , but mostly they are just everyday cops , robbers and romance tales that happen to be set in thailand.

if you enjoy uncomplicated plots in cliched thai settings with cliched characters of little depth ( jaded foreigner , really mean local criminal with big benz , thai bird down on her luck , good cop , bad cop , toothless crone from the village , etc) then these books may find a spot on your shelves......or more likely propping up that wonky table.

you can learn more about thai culture from the first few pages of any travel guide book .

if you want to learn about thai society , then the best available book is "inside thai society" by neils mulder.

Clearly someone who knows about the agonies of writing!

Incidentally, being self-published can also be about cash. My experience is that having a publisher can yield royalties as low as 4%. If you self-publish and crucially can get the book distributed, you may recieve 50 or 60% of the published price.

Cutting out the publisher as middleman you do all the work and take the risk but ultimately it can be far more profitable. Some very good authors do it so don't knocj self-publishing.

Andrew

For me, it's more about the difficulties of the marketing and distribution of books when self publishing .. than about the cost. I've heard a few comments about Asia Books editing assistance as well. Not sure about their royalties.

I've basically stopped working on a character driven novel because there is so little illumination at the end of the corridor.

Thanks Pab!

Yours are the first comments by someone who has read my new book, MY THAI GIRL AND I and I very much appreciate the nice things you say about it.

And I agree that most of the writings about Bangok are cliched urban stuff that says nothing whatsoever about Thailand. That's why in my novel THAI GIRL I tried to break the stereoptype with Fon, the 'Thai girl' who refuses to go with plausible farang, Ben. Truth or fiction?

As for my non-fiction, Thailand is still substantially rural and that of course is what MY THAI GIRL AND I is all about, the countryside.

Anyone else read it yet? I'm hungry for feedback.

Somebody told me there's a complimentary review by Jim Eckardt in The Phuket Gazette but I can't find it on their website.

Andrew

But, to style, now I am into Fyodor Dostoevsky. "Crime and punishment" (which also goes under another name, I think the name of the protagonist, Raskolnikov?). But I know that the book that is really "me" is still waiting for me in my bookshelf. No cigar for the title, but if I venture that it is also by Dostoevsky, and has a short title, can anyone guess? Ulysses? Andrew? Mobi? Naam? Guesthouse? Bendix? Oh come on, it is a sitting duck really.

I'll bite: "The Idiot"? :o

Andrew

Good luck!

My own thought on his confusing John Iriving and John Grisham is that perhaps Mr Hicks writes more than he reads :o Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you don't plan to discuss recognised literature.

I would never pick up a book entitled either 'Thai Girl' or 'My Thai and I', and thus I haven't read either of Hick's books I'm afraid. Am I the only one who finds the wording of the latter title somewhat degrading?

That aside, the next time I come across one of the other of these titles, I'll overcome those presumptions and have a look at what they're like on the inside. :D

Andrew

Good luck!

My own thought on his confusing John Iriving and John Grisham is that perhaps Mr Hicks writes more than he reads :o Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you don't plan to discuss recognised literature.

I would never pick up a book entitled either 'Thai Girl' or 'My Thai and I', and thus I haven't read either of Hick's books I'm afraid. Am I the only one who finds the wording of the latter title somewhat degrading?

That aside, the next time I come across one of the other of these titles, I'll overcome those presumptions and have a look at what they're like on the inside. :D

Thanks for those few kind words, Sabaijai. I think I must now be allowed the right of reply.

Yes, I'll come clean. Steinbeck, Irving, Grisham... I've read them all, but I guess I got my Johns in a twist. What's that word that means declining memory in later years?

As to your second barb, it too hits home. Speaking as a lifelong practicing feminist I am thoroughly ashamed to be associated with books called THAI GIRL and MY THAIGIRL AND I.

Having written it I had a big problem thinking of a title for THAI GIRL. As it's the story of a British lad who falls in love with and in Thailand I was going to call it "English Boy". But they told me they wouldn't publish it if I persisted with that title.

Frankly I think it's disgraceful calling mature woman 'Thai girls' just as I hate it when people talk about "bar girls". I give them respect and call them "bar ladies" every time.

The publishers said that the title of my new book should link back to the novel and suggested MY THAI GIRL AND I. They said it had the same ring as the title of some movie about Thailand with Yul Brynner and Jodie Foster in it. (Have I got this right Sabaijai?)

But no, the possessive implications in the title of 'my thai girl' are offensive and sexist and there's even an error of grammar. It should be "My Thai Girl and Me". So again it seems that my sly critic and I are in full agreement.

Actually both books are feminist works, a point that is expressly made on the back cover of the new one. So you'd better read them, Sabaijai and if you're embarassed about your friends seeing what you're reading you can cover them with brown paper.

You might even enjoy them.

Choke dee khrap!

Andrew Hicks

PS When someone posts something negative about my books I think I should be permitted to post a rebuttal. After all Thaivisa geezers love discussing literature and especially having the author commenting. It's been good clean fun and at one point the thread had five stars!