'Pattaya Mafia' Alarm On Phuket Over Russian Suspect

george

'Pattaya Mafia' Alarm on Phuket over Russian Suspect

PHUKET: -- Immigration officials are alarmed at the presence of a Russian on Phuket who has connections with the Pattaya ''mafia.''

The Russian was discovered on the island by the Superintendent of Phuket Immigration, Police Colonel Chanatpol Yongbunjerd, who arrived to take up his post late in 2007 after serving in Pattaya.

''I am worried about the activities of this man on Phuket,'' Colonel Chanatpol told Phuketwan. ''We do not want the kind of problems on the island that they have in Pattaya.''

The Russian lives on the island but travels often between Phuket and Pattaya.

The Russian's business in Pattaya was running many bars where women worked as prostitutes, Colonel Chanatpol said.

''We are keeping a close watch on his activities here,'' the colonel added.

Immigration Headquarters in Bangkok has been alerted.

Colonel Chanatpol said that while the increasing number of Russian tourists was good for Phuket, it was important for the island not to attract the wrong kind of Russians.

Colonel Chanatpol said Immigration was also watching the Pakistan and Philippines communities on Phuket more closely.

There had been some evidence in both of an increase in people entering Thailand and staying illegally.

As the colonel told Phuketwan on April 10, the large number of illegal Burmese being arrested and deported from Phuket remains a concern.

The deputy chief of the Department of Special Investigation, Pinyo Thongchai, told the Bangkok Post recently that trans-national criminal groups were rampant on Koh Samui.

As well as the Bandidos motorcycle gang, which has faced a crackdown by authorities, there were also international mafia gangs doing illegal businesses in drugs, land and property deals and extorting money from foreign businessmen, the newspaper says.

-- Phuketwan.com 2008-04-16

Colonel Chanatpol said Immigration was also watching the Pakistan and Philippines communities on Phuket more closely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there criminals in every nation? It seems like a bit of stereo-typing here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there criminals in every nation? It seems like a bit of stereo-typing here.

No, you are not wrong. There are criminals in every nation. Yes, you're wrong. It is not stereo-typing there. It could probably that the colonel has intel that certain people from from those countries mentioned intended to settle roots into their communities for illegal purposes. Hence, authorities are keeping a closer tab on them.

''I am worried about the activities of this man on Phuket,'' Colonel Chanatpol told Phuketwan. ''We do not want the kind of problems on the island that they have in Pattaya.''
The Russian's business in Pattaya was running many bars where women worked as prostitutes, Colonel Chanatpol said.

...err is it a case of better the Pattaya and Phuket bar are run by Thais ?

Well they could start with the giant billboard on Patong / Kathu hill with a picture of a topless blond saying 'russian club'...

Just a hunch like.. But I would investigate who paid for that.. But then obviously I am not of the elite level of the the 'thin brown line'..

The Russian was discovered on the island by the Superintendent of Phuket Immigration, Police Colonel Chanatpol Yongbunjerd, who arrived to take up his post late in 2007 after serving in Pattaya.

The Russian lives on the island but travels often between Phuket and Pattaya.

Of course there are no bars on Phuket where women work as prostitutes are there? :o

So after serving in Pattaya our BiB knows the Russki and his business well. That's cosy, so now he'll have to keep a close watch on his activities and ensure the requisite palm oil is forthcoming.