Phuket: Thailand's Most Dangerous Province

MustaphaMond

Feel free to paste the references as I'm in CM and can't get the print addition.

However, I see the online version references just a hotbed of horrid crimes like gambling and dopeheads running about stoned.... :D and no reference to the dangerous situation you mention. Recorded Rapes and murders far less than many western locales with similar demographics.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Crime statistics: prostitutes drop, gamblers rise

PHUKET: Arrests made for prostitution in Phuket decreased in March from the previous month, while the number of arrests for gambling shot up by 127 cases, according to monthly crime statistics released by Phuket Provincial Police.

304 arrests for gambling, 139 arrests for prostitution and 110 arrests for drug-related offenses,

75 cases of theft reported, of which three involved motorcycles and two involved cars. Arrests were made in 39 of the cases.

No murders were recorded for March, despite Swedish tourist Hanna Backlund being stabbed to death in broad daylight at Mai Khao on March 15. what's up with that?

Nine arrests were made in connection with 12 reports of assault. There were four cases of rape reported with arrests made in three of those cases.

Stats would make it seem that Phuket was an island of tranquility........ :D:o

"No murders were recorded for March, despite Swedish tourist Hanna Backlund being stabbed to death in broad daylight at Mai Khao on March 15."

Read "No murders were recorded"........

I suspect this happens a lot whilst compiling stats in Thailand.. :o

Feel free to paste the references as I'm in CM and can't get the print addition.

It isn't online.. it's a 2 page spread and a stat analysis bore to read but per capita, Phuket is the most dangerous place in Thailand, worse that southern provinces even, for " Personal Security"

It isn't online.. it's a 2 page spread and a stat analysis bore to read but per capita, Phuket is the most dangerous place in Thailand, worse that southern provinces even, for " Personal Security"

mmkay, thats what the "stats" say, but as the 2 posts above demonstrate, there is a problem with accurate reporting in Thailand, so for all we know Hua Hin could be hit by a wave of grannies pinching bums for all we know. Doubt Phuket is worse than other places in the LOS. Cripes, the typical Isaan pissup produces more injuries.

• 3 weeks later...

In this week's edition of Phuket Gazette, (April 12- 18, p 4-5, not available free online edition ) Phuket was rated worst province for " Personal Security." Worse even than the southernmost provinces with almost daily murders due to separatist's violence.

The level of violent crime is increasing geometrically all across Thailand and has been for the past few years: From The Nation (2007/06/04):

Thailand is one of the least peaceful countries in the world and is ranked behind neighbours Indonesia and Cambodia in a new assessment, the Global Peace Index.

Out late last month, the GPI places Thailand at 105 of 121 countries on the index. Indonesia is at 78 and Cambodia 85. In the Asia-Pacific region only Burma, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan score worse.

The GPI describes Thailand's state of peace as "very low", with risks of violent demonstrations, terrorist acts and a high level of violent crime and political instability.

But it is getting worse faster in Phuket partly due to the huge number of high-end homes and developments being built. Every glossy ad and magazine article about incredibly luxurious homes says to criminals "Here's where you want to be working. Here's where the money is." Yet, most of the builders of these properties still prefer to spend their money on beautiful kitchens and infinity pools, and almost nothing on security.

Why this is the case is a condundrum to us, as we offer them real solutions for incorporating high-end protection specific to their particular security needs. A Sun Tzu said "Do not depend on the enemy not coming, but depend on your readiness against him."

Edited by MaximumSecurity

I haven't heard of too many high end ( say over 40 million baht) houses getting burgled.  Most houses in this range do in fact invest in security. On the lower end however you are right as I have heard of many houses in this range getting hit.  I would think a thief would think that perhaps the big house does have good security with cameras, dogs and perimeter beams, while the smaller houses don't.