How Many Calories In Beer Chang And In Sangsom?

GuyDow

In one of my recurrent attempts to cut down on my drinking I have just worked out the calorie content of my usual beverages using various information I found on the net. By my calculations a big bottle of Beer Chang contains 225 calories and a half bottle of Sangsom ( nung baan) contains 640 calories.

Can anyone confirm these figures or give more reliable ones? I am well aware that a lot of the stuff on the net ain't too reliable.

I looked up the calorie content of beer recently (don't ask me where, I forget) and a 'normal' beer of around 5% alcohol is in the vicinity of 80 calories (about the same as a banana, by the way). A lot of the calorie content comes from the alcohol, so a light beer is somewhere around 60 calories. Chang is rather stronger so (this is a guess) its probably somewhere around 90-95 calories. That's for a small bottle! So double it for a large bottle, but subtract say 10% because the cans/bottles are roughly 10% smaller here.

So large bottle of Chang ~ 160-170 calories.

At the time I was actually trying to find out what the calorie content of San Miguel low calorie beer is, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Not a bad drink that.

I looked up the calorie content of beer recently (don't ask me where, I forget) and a 'normal' beer of around 5% alcohol is in the vicinity of 80 calories (about the same as a banana, by the way). A lot of the calorie content comes from the alcohol, so a light beer is somewhere around 60 calories. Chang is rather stronger so (this is a guess) its probably somewhere around 90-95 calories. That's for a small bottle! So double it for a large bottle, but subtract say 10% because the cans/bottles are roughly 10% smaller here.

So large bottle of Chang ~ 160-170 calories.

At the time I was actually trying to find out what the calorie content of San Miguel low calorie beer is, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Not a bad drink that.

I think you're a bit on the low side.

I've seen a small bottle of Singha Lite quoted authoritatively as 94 cals. Chang is about half as strong again as Singha lite so this takes us to around 150. Hence a big bottle of Chang is at least 300. I now think my earlier estimate was too low also.

Edited by GuyDow

Looks like you're right - check out this table of beer calorie content - Chang isn't in here but going off other beers would probably be well over 300.

Found another site that said San Miguel light is '80 calories per serve', which I presume is 1 small bottle, although it doesn't really say.

Thanks for the table, much to consider therein. Kirin at 6.8% and 53cal/100ml is an interesting comparison with Chang at 6.4%. Something just over the 300 mark sounds about right for Chang.

Tried San Miguel Light last night, lightness in calories matched by absence of taste. Don't think I'll bother with it again.

Incidentally, I still think my original estimate for Sang Som looks OK.

• 1 month later...

a gram of alcohol is 9 calories, a beer is usually 5% of alcohol wich density is lower than water, 798grams of alcool fit a bottle of 1 liter of water

for 100ml of beer, you have around 4 grams of alcool = 36 calories

beer usually contains sugar coming from malt called maltose wich is a high glycemic index a lot more than regular sugar wich is 65, maltose is 105 so it's absorbed very fast , usually you have 3% of sugar 3x4=12 calories

normally 100ml of beer at 5% is around 48 calories.

a bottle of whisky at 40% as long as there's no sugar added inside to create a special flavour is around 2000 calories.

• 1 month later...
a little error, a gram of alcool is 7 calories.

so the beer should be : 40 calories

and the whisky : 1600

Don't know when you posted this since I lost touch with the Forum for a while. FYI Sangson is, strictly speaking, rum rather than whisky. It is made mostly from sugar cane and has quite a sweet taste. Therefore it almost certainly has additional calories due to sugars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Rum is 58 cal. per 25 grams (or about an oz). Times 4 - times 7 to get 70 cl. = 1624 cals/bottle. Yikes!

a little error, a gram of alcool is 7 calories.

so the beer should be : 40 calories

and the whisky : 1600

Don't know when you posted this since I lost touch with the Forum for a while. FYI Sangson is, strictly speaking, rum rather than whisky. It is made mostly from sugar cane and has quite a sweet taste. Therefore it almost certainly has additional calories due to sugars.