Where Can I Get A Copy Of Thai Teachers' Code Of Conduct/ethics?

garro

Hi, I need a copy of the Thai Teacher's code of conduct/ethics for an assignment for my PGCE. Any idea where I can get hold of this? I have searched the internet but the only promising link I found was dead.

Hi, I need a copy of the Thai Teacher's code of conduct/ethics for an assignment for my PGCE. Any idea where I can get hold of this? I have searched the internet but the only promising link I found was dead.

Garro,

I can't help you much here. But I was told in our Culture course that it is unethocal to accept money from students to give them extra classes (it's almost as if teachers "hold back" in their regular classes and do the real teaching outside of school). Yet it is so commonplace here, does that make all these teachers unethical? To us, it would seem necessary, as some students have to deal with work that is just beyond them ands need help with background knowledge or just to keep up. Or they may be lazy sods and need to class to force them to complete homework.

We were also informed that it was OK to use Thai language in our ESL classes! Many farang teachers objected to this.

Hewnce you really do need to find some documents, or talk to some knowledgeable people, as their ethics can be quite different from ours.

Some points to consider would also be:

1. punishment of students

2. being alone with students for whatever reason (a ho-ho in a werstern school)

3. accepting gifts from students (obviously acceptable here), going to dinner / outings with parents, etc.

It would be interesting to contrast our (Australian school ethical code) with a Thai one. Get an Australian one and that would give you clues of what to look for.

Good luck on your assignment!