Gen. Chavalit To Retire From Politics Next Year

george

Gen. Chavalit plans to retire from politics next year

BANGKOK: -- General Chavalit Yongchaiyuth, a deputy prime minister who oversees national security, said today he would not race in the next general election, admitting his failure to put an end to a tide of violence in the country's deep south has let his political career down.

Gen. Chavalit had headed a special command center for the past nine months to quell violence in three southern border provinces --Yala, Pattani, and Narathiwat.

As daily killings in the areas have continued, Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra last week replaced him with Geneneral Sirichai Thanyasiri, the deputy supreme commander.

Gen. Chavalit spoke to reporters earlier today at the Government House that he wanted to show his responsibility for his failure by boycotting himself from in the general election early next year.

''I don't think I will race again. However, I have got 3-4 months left to stay in the office. Still, I have to see if I want to hang on until then or not,'' he said.

Asked why the prime minister sacked him, Gen. Chavalit said he understood his leader's decision since it was made clear at the beginning that one must take responsibility if failed to progress in solving the problem.

''The prime minister's decision was legitimate. I was the first to go because I failed as a team leader. We all have to respect that because it is for the nation. But I can still help my junior friend or give him advices even though I don't take the lead. It is a general responsibility for every Thai to help out,'' he said.

Asked about a meeting with his successor yesterday, Gen. Chavalit said they just compared notes on security situation in the south.

''Nothing special, really. We just discussed about the security probelms. We exchanged ideas and opinions. I just briefed him what I know so that he could start working right away. I support him. He is very determined in this job,'' said Gen. Chavalit.

However, Gen. Chavalit refused to comment on the unabated violence, saying he was not longer in a position to say anything about it.

--TNA 2004-10-12

Chavalit will be around as long as he wants. Not only does he have historically strong support from high above (from the 1989 Typhoon), but he also is a lot like Chalerm Yubamrung, except his support is in the miltary- especially the 'businessmen' among the Army....

He might still want to lay low on the missing lawyer case, though. One of his 'nong', a police captain, is already in custody on kidnapping charges for that case...

Chavalit will be around as long as he wants. Not only does he have historically strong support from high above (from the 1989 Typhoon), but he also is a lot like Chalerm Yubamrung, except his support is in the miltary- especially the 'businessmen' among the Army....

He might still want to lay low on the missing lawyer case, though. One of his 'nong', a police captain, is already in custody on kidnapping charges for that case...

It's hard to keep good Nai Grob down... :o

Everytime I see that guy, I'm reminded of Mr Toad from Wind and the Willows.