The End Of Washington Square

Stephen777

No idea, but it sounds like a good one. The area is a disgrace and needs tidying up.

I'm sure that a couple of the establishments will relocate somewhere, such as Bourbon Street which has a good reputation and may do even better in another location.

It would be nice though, if BMA had a look at the way it is redeveloping the city and followed a few of the practices that S'pore has done in recent years in maintaing certain areas in a nice way, rather than just building malls and condo's.

Mekong Kirk mentioned it. :o

Seems that the owners Khun..******** and family have offered all the leaseholders a bit of dosh to give up their leases and the proposals appear to be for a demolishing jobby possibly as early as next year.

This has been on the cards for years so it may just be another....."talking to a guy in the pub last night who told me"...etc...but most of the gin joints owners that I have spoken to over the years down that way are/have been just waiting....so..........Get down there an have a swally quickly before one of the last old haunts of Bangers dissappears forever..... :D ...happy mems.....

No idea, but it sounds like a good one. The area is a disgrace and needs tidying up.

I'm sure that a couple of the establishments will relocate somewhere, such as Bourbon Street which has a good reputation and may do even better in another location.

It would be nice though, if BMA had a look at the way it is redeveloping the city and followed a few of the practices that S'pore has done in recent years in maintaing certain areas in a nice way, rather than just building malls and condo's.

Totally agree.

Its a minging sh!thole, with Bourbon Street being the exception. :o

Totally agree.

I realize that things always change with time but I thought this was worth mentioning.

Back in the 1960s and 70s one of the guys who owns a bar in WS was the manager of a bar on Patpong. Patpong was quite different then. I hated to see things change down the road but change is always certain. I've always missed The Missisppi Queen Bar that was on Patpong during the 60s and 70s. This was a fun place with hot and cold running pooying ontap.

The era that I speak of was also the pre AIDS era and while you could catch some badass VD it wasn't fatal if you saw a doctor. Oh how I miss my youth some days.

Mekong Kirk mentioned it. :o

Seems that the owners Khun..******** and family have offered all the leaseholders a bit of dosh to give up their leases and the proposals appear to be for a demolishing jobby possibly as early as next year.

This has been on the cards for years so it may just be another....."talking to a guy in the pub last night who told me"...etc...but most of the gin joints owners that I have spoken to over the years down that way are/have been just waiting....so..........Get down there an have a swally quickly before one of the last old haunts of Bangers dissappears forever..... :D ...happy mems.....

Bourbon St did recentlyish add a whole new wing...maybe they wont move ?

I have never been into any of the bars in Washington Square and judging by the looks of most of them, I have to say I don't want to. I have been to The Dubliner a few times but even that's my least favourite of the four western style pubs in that area. I used to be a very regular patron of Bourbon Street but have found the food has been getting worse over the last couple of years - prices don't seem to have changed much so guess they've been using cheaper ingredients and it's beginning to show (frozen blue margherita by the jug remains a good 'un though :o )

So all in all, I think Washington Square has had it's time and is due an overhaul / facelift / demolition / whatever...

CC

Totally agree.

I realize that things always change with time but I thought this was worth mentioning.

Back in the 1960s and 70s one of the guys who owns a bar in WS was the manager of a bar on Patpong. Patpong was quite different then. I hated to see things change down the road but change is always certain. I've always missed The Missisppi Queen Bar that was on Patpong during the 60s and 70s. This was a fun place with hot and cold running pooying ontap.

The era that I speak of was also the pre AIDS era and while you could catch some badass VD it wasn't fatal if you saw a doctor. Oh how I miss my youth some days.

Not to mention Purple Flying Machine and Kangaroo Bar !!! Lorettas on Soi Cowboy

Ah yes, the 'virtual' 'guarantee' to extend. Welcome to Thailand!

[/quota

Evolution vs Revolution

Time passes on and things change, gone are:

Larry Bradley, as is the No Problem

Jerry Holland, Wild Country going?

Bobby Tombs, Silver Dollar going?

And George Pipas in the hospital, Texas Lonestar, my favorite.

And, since Loretta's was mentioned, started going there circa 1977, sorta a nice

place.  Boonlom, Pam, and of course, Loretta, the wee one.

Mac

I started my drinking time in Bangkok back in 1993 at the Cats Meow/NoProblem and I still drink in there regularly whenever I am in town. I was in the darts team for a few years but now I have moved up country it is a bit difficult to tell my wife I am off for a game of darts and come home 2 or 3 days later.

Maew from Cats Meow is a regular visitor at my house and she is up here now for a short while.

To my knowledge over the years there have been at laest a dozen marriages of girls working there and only a couple have gone bad.

I started my drinking time in Bangkok back in 1993 at the Cats Meow/NoProblem and I still drink in there regularly whenever I am in town. I was in the darts team for a few years but now I have moved up country it is a bit difficult to tell my wife I am off for a game of darts and come home 2 or 3 days later.

Maew from Cats Meow is a regular visitor at my house and she is up here now for a short while.

To my knowledge over the years there have been at laest a dozen marriages of girls working there and only a couple have gone bad.

That's pretty interesting. Here in the U.S. I know some very happily married couples (American guy/pooyingthai). There are indeed some bars where you can meet a future wife who is in it for more than the farang financial benefits.

I also know a few guys who married some of the ex WS girls. Even though the time for WS has come and gone there will still be plenty of good choices in Thailand. The nice thing about this process is that unlike women in the U.S. the Thai Ladies don't expect us to go through so many hoops and they are much sweeter.

Where do you think the WS pub owners will relocate?

That's pretty interesting. Here in the U.S. I know some very happily married couples (American guy/pooyingthai). There are indeed some bars where you can meet a future wife who is in it for more than the farang financial benefits.

I also know a few guys who married some of the ex WS girls. Even though the time for WS has come and gone there will still be plenty of good choices in Thailand. The nice thing about this process is that unlike women in the U.S. the Thai Ladies don't expect us to go through so many hoops and they are much sweeter.

Where do you think the WS pub owners will relocate?

I think it's nigh about time the "predominant" foreign bar scene moved a bit north, we got Patpong, Nana and Cowboy at 3 points of the compass....maybe up towards Victory, or some where in between Ploenchit and Victory :o

Truly the end of an era.

I agree it is a bit "mingy" but I like "mingy" :D

My favourite bar in BKK is the Silver Dollar. I even stayed there a few times :D (700 Baht /night, with fridge, a/c and full UBC channels on TV. Breakfast served from 8 a.m.) Good, cheap farang food, and always made most welcome by the "slightly over the hill" damsels. Had many a drunken night in there,buying drinks all round, and the bill was rarely more than 1500 Baht. It's also true that many girls from here have made good, reliable wives to farangs - mainly Americans.

The other bars on that side are sinking slowly into an abyss. Few customers, very few ladies, and really dirty and dingy

The Hare and Hound is still going strong with a good crowd of 'respectable' Brits patronising it most evenings.

Never thought much of Bourbon Street - I guess it's "horses for courses"

That piece of real estate must be worth billions, and I'm surprised that WS has lasted this long.

I doubt whether most - if not all - the bars will relocate. It will simply be too expensive. Bangkok is changing rapidly and these bars will disappear without trace.

Make the most of it while they are still around - to those folks who want to remember what BKK used to be like.

I too remember the old Patpong with the Derby King, Napoleon, Mississippi Queen and the like, before they put that bloody street market in middle of the road and totally ruined it. :o

And I well remember Lorettas, and Cowboy's, before he moved on.

Ah...."Those were the days my friend, I thought would never end......" :D

Truly the end of an era.

I agree it is a bit "mingy" but I like "mingy" :D

My favourite bar in BKK is the Silver Dollar. I even stayed there a few times :D (700 Baht /night, with fridge, a/c and full UBC channels on TV. Breakfast served from 8 a.m.) Good, cheap farang food, and always made most welcome by the "slightly over the hill" damsels. Had many a drunken night in there,buying drinks all round, and the bill was rarely more than 1500 Baht. It's also true that many girls from here have made good, reliable wives to farangs - mainly Americans.

The other bars on that side are sinking slowly into an abyss. Few customers, very few ladies, and really dirty and dingy

The Hare and Hound is still going strong with a good crowd of 'respectable' Brits patronising it most evenings.

Never thought much of Bourbon Street - I guess it's "horses for courses"

That piece of real estate must be worth billions, and I'm surprised that WS has lasted this long.

I doubt whether most - if not all - the bars will relocate. It will simply be too expensive. Bangkok is changing rapidly and these bars will disappear without trace.

Make the most of it while they are still around - to those folks who want to remember what BKK used to be like.

I too remember the old Patpong with the Derby King, Napoleon, Mississippi Queen and the like, before they put that bloody street market in middle of the road and totally ruined it. :o

And I well remember Lorettas, and Cowboy's, before he moved on.

Ah...."Those were the days my friend, I thought would never end......" :D

I really enjoyed reading the above response. I'm not sure if the real estate is worth billions (at least in USD) but perhaps in baht.

Those really were the days! No condoms, less disease (there still was enough to be a problem), 20 baht poontang, a strong USD and unspoiled Thailand. I loved this time in my life.

Does that mean the Mambo will go as well? In which case, the Dubliner will be nicely placed as the most favoured venue next to a building site beyond par.

How long Soi Cowboy and Nana?

Personally, I couldn't care less about the NEP but Cowboy going would definitely tear at the heart strings. I hated it when the International German Beerhouse was ousted from Soi 23 - a great oasis and one of the best places in Suk. to meet, eat and drink alfresco before venturing into the street of shame. It never really matched its success after the move to Soi 11 and the poor old Ship opposite lost out greatly when the passing trade that was attracted to the beer garden disappeared.

What a pity. I liked the Bourbon St. and shall miss the cajun chicken.

How long Soi Cowboy and Nana?

My understanding about Cowboy is that the property is owned by numerous people so a developer would struggle to buy out all the freehold properties plus the fact that the street does not lend itself for a hotel, condo or mall.

NEP is owned by one family and they have more than enough developments/business's in Suk plus the fact they make a lot of money from the rents so I can't see that going too soon.

I reckon the Ministry of Culture should slap a preservation order on Washington Square, Soi Cowboy and NEP.

Maybe they could hire Girly Berry again to promote their public spirited action :o

I reckon the Ministry of Culture should slap a preservation order on Washington Square, Soi Cowboy and NEP.

Maybe they could hire Girly Berry again to promote their public spirited action :o

they should use that money for singing lessons for Tarty Farty so they actual sing in tune at public appearances.

HA HA HA! A funny suggestion!

My question is what culture in WS is there to be preserved?

I suggest that you make a WS movie titled: Debauchery Gone Wild Now this seems appropriate.