The End Of Washington Square

Stephen777

There is one place in Washington Square that keeps it going and that will likely stand for a long time. May I present...

The Texas Lonestar Saloon...for all of your eating, drinking and being merry pleasure. :o

When you're there, check out the distinguished and admirable pictures, photos and images on the walls. They're truly legendary.

I've heard that "Generous George" from the Texas Lonestarr is in the hospital. What happened?

First off, George Pipas "aka "Generous George") died a couple days ago, so who knows what's in stor for the Texas Lone Staar in particular.

As for the future of the Square, after being a regular there for 14+ years -- even living above the Lone Staar about 4 years earlier on -- it's difficult to say. For me, impossible. I know all my many sources are reporting what they have been told, reporting honestly and accurately -- but their various stories at best don't add up, and sometimes downright contradict each other. Took some doing, but I finally convinced folks that for me to take a wait-and-see attitude is not tantamount to calling them liars; I plain don't know, and have no inside track with the owners.

As for the atmosphere of Washington Square . . . well, I don't see rowdy guys who'll cool things down when a stranger walks in (especially a lady) is as bad as drunk fools trying to perform oral sex on a naked a-go-go girl in front of everyone in the place, as one can readily see in Cowboy (which I like), NEP, and Patpong (the latter two which I haven't visited in eons). I also like knowing most of the folks around the Square, and actually like most of them, to one degree or another.

And though the ranks are thinning, one can even now meet true legends around the Square. The late Pat Landry, senior commander with the CIA during the secret war in Laos. Tony Po in his day (before my time). George himself was legendary, as he should have been after some 44 years on the ground in Bangkok. Then there was the spice king, German Kurt, who supposedly fled Germany after WW II, joined the Foreign Legion, then had to flee again -- when Diem Bien Phu fell, from where he is said to have made his way overland to Bangkok and gone into the "pull-myself-up-by-my-bootstraps" routine. Lots of retired military, and former military. The occasional embassy type.

Well-known local writer Roger Beaumont once described Squaronians -- as they call themselves -- as "men with thousand-yard stares" -- sort of like, say, the Marlboro Man. :D It's more accurate, if you consider the meaning, than might first meet the eye.

There's a rare fellowship (if of a rough sort) there.

As Doctor Dennis noted much earlier in this thread, one is far less likely to get hassled or ripped off in the Square than he well might in quite a few other places.

As for the *physical* atmosphere, yes, most of the places definitely need a major face lift, to put it nicely.

But not everyone likes the same places, the same ambiance, etc. And that's okay, too.

Meanwhile R.I.P., George. . . .

Well MekhongKurt, you, myself and Dennis go back quite a few years. We had many great times in the Square that I will never forget. Washington Square was home and they say you can never go back home. That appears to be true. Many of the old timers have passed away and others like myself and Dennis have drifted away. Every time I go to Bangkok, the first stop is always the Square. Unfortunately I now usually feel like a stranger there. Other than yourself and some of the bar owners the familiar faces are mostly gone. I often think about the good old days and for the most part, they were VERY good.

Bye bye George, you were good folks.

Ceremonies this morning starting at 0900 hrs (but started earlier) at Holy Redeemer Church on Soi Ruamrudee then cremation at 1100 hrs (also started earlier) at Wat Makasan on Petchburi Road.Then off to the Lonestar for free eats and BS.

The VFW did their thing at the wat as George was a long time member.  Two AmLeg China Post 1 members there, me & another guy.  Flag folding for Mary Ann, George's wife.  Then off to the Lonestar for free eats and BS.

Mac

post-32650-1217231607_thumb.jpg

post-32650-1217231623_thumb.jpg

post-32650-1217231641_thumb.jpg

post-32650-1217231669_thumb.jpg

post-32650-1217231692_thumb.jpg

post-32650-1217231706_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Rather looks like the Silver Dollar has now gone...(with thanks Kurt..)

Really? But they only expanded into the larger premises a short while ago. All the other bars on that side of the Square have gone . . it's all very grim around there now.

• 5 months later...

Bump

I had to go to the UK Embassy last week to get a letter confirming my pension’s amount and I had a look around my old haunts in Washington Square on Monday morning. I took some photos and the link is below.

It is now a very sad looking place though the Sportsmans bar is still going strong and I had an excellent Roast Beef dinner on Sunday evening.

http://s847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/billd766/Washington%20Square%20July%2023%202012/

The Bulls Head is now the Royal Oak but the food is as good as ever when I had lunch on Monday afternoon.

I stayed at the IMM Fusion hotel just down from Lotus Tesco near On Nut BTS. 900 baht a night ++ but that does include a buffet breakfast. A reasonable place to stay if you are on your own and out most of the day.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest news from the Square (with thanks to Stickman)is that the Sportsman Bar will close for the last time on September 23rd.....Not many left

Also a bit of sad news is that M.Kurt is in Suk Hospital.

Always look forward to his Square updates so I am sure that all his readers and friends would wish him a full and speedy recovery and best wishes..

R

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just heard that Mekong Kurt died recently....another old hand.

Met him a couple of times over the years and his "Squarionans news" was alway welcome which basically told the stories of the last remants of the "good old boys" ..mostly yanks who settled and lived around the area following in many cases the end of the Vietnam War.

Another little bit of expat history gone but thats the way life goes.. innit.....RIP..

(with thanks Stick)

• Like 2

Yeah, most of the good ol'e boys have gone and along with that all the rich history they were able to share. I for one preferred to talking and shooting the shit with these guys as opposed to the younger crowd back then.

Being on the subject, does anyone here remember an American guy called "Gator" that used to hang around George's place as a handy man and so forth? Someone had told me he had died but I've not been able to confirm it.

• Like 1

Sorry didnt know Gator although name sounds familar.

I only ever managed to get down there on odd occasions on my jolis from Uk (and other places)and quite honestly the faces are all ghosts now at the end of the bar...still hooting and hollering only more quietly.

Had an involvement in a bar in PP during mid 90s and was put onto Night-owl down in the Texas LS(Mr Trink)who gaves us a good write up in the Bangkok Post.

My Partners/mates also now gone to the upstairs lounge so its all rather like walking through the twilight zone....MPrai.

Nice little piece from a couple of years ago in Time (with thanks)

"It may be hidden from prying eyes off Sukhumvit Soi 22, but Bangkok's Washington Square is a compact slice of Americana lost in space and time.

If you're in the Thai capital and happen to need a fix of bourbon and .......

Yee Doggies.......

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,660995,00.html

• Like 1

living above the Lone Staar about 4 years earlier on

Now that I did not know.

George himself was legendary, as he should have been after some 44 years on the ground in Bangkok.

Apparently he and Bourbon Street Doug had a place on Patpong before moving to the Square

Then there was the spice king, German Kurt,

He was darn near mad the last few times I saw him. Even though he was living above Lone Star he was forbidden from entering the bar. Not sure what happened to him since it's all been torn down.

Well-known local writer Roger Beaumont once described Squaronians -- as they call themselves -- as "men with thousand-yard stares"

I lived across the hallway from Roger for a while, which was right around the corner from the Square, but never once saw him on the Square.

one is far less likely to get hassled or ripped off in the Square than he well might in quite a few other places.

That was the attraction for many.

Edited by bdw

• 5 weeks later...

Bump

I had to go to the UK Embassy last week to get a letter confirming my pension’s amount and I had a look around my old haunts in Washington Square on Monday morning. I took some photos and the link is below.

It is now a very sad looking place though the Sportsmans bar is still going strong and I had an excellent Roast Beef dinner on Sunday evening.

http://s847.photobuc...e July 23 2012/

The Bulls Head is now the Royal Oak but the food is as good as ever when I had lunch on Monday afternoon.

I stayed at the IMM Fusion hotel just down from Lotus Tesco near On Nut BTS. 900 baht a night ++ but that does include a buffet breakfast. A reasonable place to stay if you are on your own and out most of the day.

I gather that the Dubliner is/has/will go/gone and will be relocating between the Royal Oak (x Dogs Bols) and the Robbing Bs...

Back in town at the end of the month ..for the winter.....so will have a look.....

I had a walk around Washington Square last Tuesday afternoon. About half of it has disappeared but the other half still remains. The half that is proximal to Soi 22. I noticed the police at the massage parlour that used to be located on the LHS as you entered the square. There had been a fire there the night before. Extensive damage to the interior. An insurance job?

In the row of shop houses where Texas bar and Square One used to be located - the last two shop houses adjacent to Sukhumvit road are still in tact but gutted. Bourbon Steet is still standing but a total mess inside and The Dubliner is still standing and pretty much looks the same until you peer inside. Took some photos and video which I will post here in the next week or two.

Yeah, most of the good ol'e boys have gone and along with that all the rich history they were able to share. I for one preferred to talking and shooting the shit with these guys as opposed to the younger crowd back then.

Being on the subject, does anyone here remember an American guy called "Gator" that used to hang around George's place as a handy man and so forth? Someone had told me he had died but I've not been able to confirm it.

Sadly true, Gator died quite sometime back.

I had a walk around Washington Square last Tuesday afternoon. About half of it has disappeared but the other half still remains. The half that is proximal to Soi 22. I noticed the police at the massage parlour that used to be located on the LHS as you entered the square. There had been a fire there the night before. Extensive damage to the interior. An insurance job?

In the row of shop houses where Texas bar and Square One used to be located - the last two shop houses adjacent to Sukhumvit road are still in tact but gutted. Bourbon Steet is still standing but a total mess inside and The Dubliner is still standing and pretty much looks the same until you peer inside. Took some photos and video which I will post here in the next week or two.

I am looking forward to the photos as Washington Square was my stamping ground from the time I first arrived in Thailand until several years ago.

I used to use Noprblem and carried it on when it was redorated and renamed Cats Maew.

Sadly true, Gator died quite sometime back.

Qh ok, I thought that it was true. He was a one of a kind guy and you couldn't help but to like him. Thanks for the info !

• 8 years later...
On 5/5/2008 at 11:50 PM, Stephen777 said:

Agreed! Taffy is a likeable character and amusing.

Taffy is also one of the guys who is looking for a new site to host his bar. I wish him the best of luck during this forced move.

Anyone know where Taffy's ended up?

Or any of the other bars for that matter?

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jajazazajaja said:

Bourbon street ended up on Ekkamai and continues to be excellent.

Taffy went back to the U.K. and the bar never reopened 

What about the others? Lone Star? Wild Country?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hope 2021 said:

Wild Country turned into B52 and moved to the Queens Park bar complex. It is now in a soi off Soi22. The Sportsman move to Soi 13.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

I assume B52 moved with the rest of Queens Park down to Nana? Or did they stayed up Soi 22?

Edit: I reread your post, lol. So, it seems B52 hung back and didn't move with with the rest of Queens Park bar complex.

Edited by 2009

Spent a fair bit of time in the square in the 90s. Lived for a while at Bourbon st. Enjoyed that little area. Worked just around there as well. I remember there was a movie theatre there that changed to something else although what to escapes me now, as my aged memory dims.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Lao said:

Spent a fair bit of time in the square in the 90s. Lived for a while at Bourbon st. Enjoyed that little area. Worked just around there as well. I remember there was a movie theatre there that changed to something else although what to escapes me now, as my aged memory dims.

It was the Mambo Cabaret.

• 2 months later...

I was a regular visitor to Soi Washington for many years.  The Wild Country was one of my favourite venues.  Back in the late nineties and early 2000’s the place was always packed with expats. I will always remember Old Chuck Blue, usually sat on the stool against the wall at the end of the bar and Mekong Kurt shooting the breeze with the other squareonians. I was last there in 2011 just before the demolition.  The place was but a shadow of its former glory.  I was surprised to read that the QP Plaza had closed; that was one of my other favourite haunts.  I’ll never go back to Bangkok again, it’s become the Benidorm of Asia.  I now spend all of my time in the Philippines where a beer or a tequilar in a bar is a $1 and a decent meal is around $6.  An all night companion is around $50. but the Soi Washington days were great fun and will always hold happy memories.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Never found any place I really liked after Washington square. I really liked the vibe there. Is the club 99 that moved up to soi 33 still going? Last time I was in soi 33 it was pretty dead. I did like renoir until they closed a few years back. Still pop in Bourbon st for old times sake when i'm in Bangkok.