The End Of Washington Square

Stephen777

5 hours ago, Pottinger said:

Yes, the ladyboy cabaret was a cinema before, I can't recall its name but I remember seeing The Bodyguard with Whitney Houston there with the g/f, must have been 1992. She bawled her eyes out. I of course remained stoical.

The cinema was the Washington Theatre, for which the square was named.  It later became Mambo, which then closed down, and the Sportsman bar briefly took the ground floor, before the building, and the square, was pulled down.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bartender100 said:

This guy has done a great video on Washington, he is worth following, he sometimes goes to explore areas in Bangkok you would not normally go.

My favourite bar was originally No Probl'm and that the owner renamed it the Cats Meow.

I used to live over the bar for a while in the mid 1990s and I am still in touch with some of the customers, some of the girls and the Cat herself.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ballpoint said:

The cinema was the Washington Theatre, for which the square was named.  It later became Mambo, which then closed down, and the Sportsman bar briefly took the ground floor, before the building, and the square, was pulled down.

I remember watching the film "Last Man Standing" which was probably the last time I ever went to the cinema.

I took a couple of UK friends to the Mambo Cabaret a while later, and explained that the only real women and girls there were the staff who let you in, sold stuff, usherettes etc,

• Like 2

On 4/23/2008 at 4:35 PM, bendix said:

This has been wellknown for years, and discussed here several times.

All the leases are expiring by the end of the year. Then it's bulldozer time.

Get Chuvit in, he'll clean it up, with his thugs if needed.

• Confused 1

Bourbon Street did a good christmas lunch, stayed there on one occasion, no problems.

"Not to mention Purple Flying Machine and Kangaroo Bar !!! Lorettas on Soi Cowboy"

Lorretta first bar in BKK I went into, recommended by the Scandahooligans who owned Mermaids Rest. As for the Kangaroo well I'll leave that to others.

Happy Days.

john

8 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Bourbon Street did a good christmas lunch, stayed there on one occasion, no problems.

"Not to mention Purple Flying Machine and Kangaroo Bar !!! Lorettas on Soi Cowboy"

Lorretta first bar in BKK I went into, recommended by the Scandahooligans who owned Mermaids Rest. As for the Kangaroo well I'll leave that to others.

Happy Days.

john

Mermaids Rest  That's where I stayed when I first came to Bangkok in 87. Great place and restaurant.

They opened Stable Lodge on the same soi just before closing Mermaids.

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

Both hotels owned run by same group of Scandahooligans as I called them.

Jurgan was the main man and Stefan ran Stable lodge for years.

Really good folk to know, Gentlemen.

john

I remember one of them being a good looking blond bloke and the other a big dark bearded type.

Is Stable Lodge still owned by them?

Edited by H1w4yR1da