How Is 'to Be Made Redundant' Said In Thai?

fw1

Could anyone tell me how 'to be made redundant' said in Thai. How would a person say 'I was made redundant last month', for example?

I'd be grateful if the phrase and sentence could be written in Thai as it would be far easier for me to read that way rather than a transliteration.

Lastly, an informal rather than a formal expression is also a preference.

Thanks

Could anyone tell me how 'to be made redundant' said in Thai. How would a person say 'I was made redundant last month', for example?

I'd be grateful if the phrase and sentence could be written in Thai as it would be far easier for me to read that way rather than a transliteration.

Lastly, an informal rather than a formal expression is also a preference.

Thanks

How would a person say 'I was made redundant last month', for example?

Maybe you could say it like this... :o

1.ฉัน/ผมถูกปลดจากตำแหน่งเดือนที่แล้ว =I was dismissed last month.(chan/pom toohk ploht jaak dtahm-naeng deu-an tee laeow)

2.ฉัน/ผมถูกบริษัทไล่ออกเดือนที่แล้ว=I was fired from the company last month.(chan/pom toohk bori-sut lai ook deu-an tee laeow)

Hope you'll get a new job soon! :D

Snowleopard.

The easiest, informal way to express "I was made redundant" would be "khaw mai tongkaan phom laew" - 'they do not need me anymore' (sorry for the transliteration, but I am still not very good at typing proper Thai, and it's late too).

Generally speaking, the passive form is unnatural to the Thai language except in formal text - but you could make a "thuuk" or "doon" construction of course, such as "thuuk/doon lai ork" = was fired. Last month is "deuan thii laew", and should be placed initially in the sentence - Thai time expressions normally do, and it sounds more natural that way.

Note that the passive form in English is deliberately obscure - you do not specify who made you redundant, or in what way. If you mean you were fired or asked to leave your job, then it would be much easier to say so. I think it would be hard to preserve the same obscurity in a Thai phrase without it sounding contrived - but someone more skilled than me might give it a go.

Thanks gents, this certainly helps make more sense of the document I am currently grapling with. Just some quick questions about vocab, which my dictionary/phrasebuilder also seems to fail with.

In Thai does anyone know what the following are?

1. costs/overheads

2. to run at a loss

And lastly, 'to pull your business out of a country/market'

Only sensible replies please.

thanks once again (snowleopard especially).

Hi fw1,

1. ค่าดำเนินการโดยทั่วไป - kaa dtam neun gahn dtoi tua bpai

2. ขาดทุน - khaad thun

3. ถอนตัว - thon dtua (to withdraw)

I've looked up these words in the Mary Haas dictionary so they should be ok but make sure that they fit your context before you use them.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Following on from my previous post, always be careful when looking up translations in a dictionary as the word in the foreign language may not be applicable to the context in which you want to use it. I recall when learning French looking up the word for "to excite" and being given "exciter". I then wrote in my homework "J'aime regarder le rugby parce qu' il m'excite." My French teacher collapsed laughing and had to point out that "exciter" does mean to excite but in terms of being sexually aroused. I'd just written "I like watching the rugby because it sexually arouses me." :o:D

Scouse.

Yes the scouser, always worth remembering. What you are refering to is a false friend, which French has more of than all other languages (owing to the fact that so many of our words come from French and in turn, of course, Latin). Several of my students are French and find this more interesting than me. I suppose this is one thing that we learners of thai don't suffer from, though we do of course -as you've rightly pointed out- suffer from many other forms of language indifference. Most dictionaries will tell you that the Thai for rely or depend is cheu-a {I can't type in Thai on this computer}or believe, which of course doesn't hold in our language; I depend on you isn't the same as I believe in you, in English'.

I tend to suffer from using poor dictionaries; something which, admittedly, I should do something about.

I'd like to add though, "I like watching the rugby because it sexually arouses me." that's a great essay title. :o

2. ขาดทุน - khaad thun

Generally speaking, ขาดทุน - khaad thun, is commonly used to note that you have run out of funds and have, or about to, go out of business. To run at a loss, as the original poster asked might be closer to, and I apologize for no Thai font, tham ngaan/turakit doi mai mii phon.

I always thought "2. ขาดทุน - khaad thun" was make a loss, could be wrong tho.

Being made redundant is'nt exactly the same as being fired. It when the job or post you have no longer needs to be filled (company downsizing ect) and can be either volantary or compulsory, you usually get a nice pay out as well

Thanks gents, this certainly helps make more sense of the document I am currently grapling with. Just some quick questions about vocab, which my dictionary/phrasebuilder also seems to fail with.

In Thai does anyone know what the following are?

1. costs/overheads

2. to run at a loss

Only sensible replies please.

thanks once again (snowleopard especially).

Hi fw1, :D

Here are a few suggestions... :o

1. costs/overheads
a.ค่าโสหุ้ยประจำ "kaa soh hoy pra-jum"

b.ค่าใช้จ่ายในการดำเนินการทางธุรกิจ "kaa chai jaai nai gaan dtahm-neurn gaan taang thora-git"

2. to run at a loss

a.a.บริษัทอยู่ในฐานะไม่ดี "bori-sut yoo nai taa-na mai dee"

b.ดำเนินการทางธุรกิจโดยไม่ได้กำไร "dtum-neurn gaan taang tora-git doi mai dai gum-rai"

c.บริษัทได้ประสบกับการขาดทุนมาตลอด "bori-sut dai pra-sop gup gaan kaat tohn maa dtah-lot"

d.เป็นหนี้ "bpen nee"

ย้ายบริษัทออกนอกประเทศ "yaai bori-sut ook nook pra-teht"

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

This is great guys. It's always good to know that there's always someone with a more voracious appetite for learning Thai than yourself. Just one very quick, very last question: what is holiday pay in Thai?

For example 'My company owes me some holiday pay'.

Thanks

This is great guys. It's always good to know that there's always someone with a more voracious appetite for learning Thai than yourself. Just one very quick, very last question: what is holiday pay in Thai?

Thanks

what is holiday pay in Thai?
Maybe one of the following could be right on the money... :o

1.เงินได้พิเศษในวันหยุด "ngeurn dai pi-seht nai wan yoht"

2.เงินได้ชดเชยในวันหยุด "ngeurn dai chot-cheuy nai wan yoht"

ผมยังไม่ได้รับเงินชดเชยในวันหยุดจากบริษัท "pom yung mai dai rup ngeurn chot-cheuy nai wan yoht jaak bori-sut"

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.