A&p Bakery

sceadugenga

A&P Bakery has reopened on Sanambin road.

Just head south after you pass the big hospital. (Chiang Rai Prachanukro?)

If you reach the Palais de Knocking-shop on the left you've just passed the bakery on the right.

Let me assure any prowling moderator I have no intentions of offering directions to the house of female degradation to interested degenerates but am merely using it's location as a means of navigation.

Edited by sceadugenga

If you reach the Palais de Knocking-shop on the left you've just passed the bakery on the right.

Let me assure any prowling moderator I have no intentions of offering directions to the house of female degradation to interested degenerates but am merely using it's location as a means of navigation.

Glad to hear you made it to their new digs. It is a little bit harder to find, not being on the main road, but well worth the effort to find. Much easier parking on a quiet road, as well. He doesn't work upstairs like before so you can visit for a few minutes as he works on his breads. Just a nice young couple with a newborn, trying to make a living. The wife and I really like some of their breads, too.

It's no problem for me because I come in through the Southern end of town anyway.

Most of their bread is great, I get the wholemeal myself and any non sweet rolls he happens to have.

Now if North Farm will move down there my shopping's all in the one area.

Edited by sceadugenga

This afternoon drove south down the road and after the hospital had my eye peeled for an "A&P" sign on the right or a "Palais" on the left - but could spot neither the bakery nor the navigational aid. Could it be that a place of nutrition is closed (with its sign concealed) because it's sunday?

This afternoon drove south down the road and after the hospital had my eye peeled for an "A&P" sign on the right or a "Palais" on the left - but could spot neither the bakery nor the navigational aid. Could it be that a place of nutrition is closed (with its sign concealed) because it's sunday?

Sorry mate, I forgot to mention... closed Sundays. It used to be Mondays but they are planning around the new baby already.

It's very close to the end of the road where it comes to the old airport. Say a couple of hundred meters back.

Yeah, scea....could you be more specific on the signage- oh for the bakery, of course :o

Actually I may have miss judged the palais. There are signs with girls wearing swimming costumes and saying coyote karaoke. Could be some sort of fitness/arts/zoological society.

Can an A&P customer who has tried the sourdough loaf at Carrefour, Chiang Mai tell me if there is anything similar - in taste not just name - at A&P?

I haven't tried it lotus, it might be an idea to give Pascal a ring a day ahead if you want to try it, he doesn't make all his advertised products everyday.

The mobile I have for him is 085 723 1410

Can an A&P customer who has tried the sourdough loaf at Carrefour, Chiang Mai tell me if there is anything similar - in taste not just name - at A&P?

I haven't tried it lotus, it might be an idea to give Pascal a ring a day ahead if you want to try it, he doesn't make all his advertised products everyday.

The mobile I have for him is 085 723 1410

Will do so. Thanks for the tel no

Off topic I know (and I should know better, of all people :D ) but I have to say that the sourdough loaf they sell at Carrefour- my favorite bread in LOS. If you get a freshly baked one, it keeps well for at least 5 days. And for the price, an excellent value. Toasted thin slices, with Camembert smeared on top....mmmmmmm :o

Off topic I know (and I should know better, of all people :D ) but I have to say that the sourdough loaf they sell at Carrefour- my favorite bread in LOS. If you get a freshly baked one, it keeps well for at least 5 days. And for the price, an excellent value. Toasted thin slices, with Camembert smeared on top....mmmmmmm :o

Yes, indeed. I bring back several for my freezer on each trip to CM. I have it toasted with a copious dribbling of very good olive oil every breakfast - acquired that habit from the Andalusians.

Lots of other ways too.

I just make my own every couple of days in the Breadmaker - easy and with the timer setting great way to wake up in the morning to fresh hot bread.

CB

• 2 weeks later...
And guts down the whole loaf at a sitting.

Where did you get your bread maker CB?

Do you use a proper bread mix or make your own?

The bread maker is a Breville and came with me from Australia with my stuff. I have not seen one in Chiang Mai but have been told that you can buy them in Bangkok at the big department stores there.

I make my own bread mix using the recipes that came with the breadmaker. In Oz I used the Defiance brand premix packs but here anything similar is too expensive and not worth the effort. Now I buy the bread flour and milk powder from a commercial bakery supplies place in Chiang Mai. The rest of the ingredients are easy to source and the yeast I use is in a small bottle not in packets. This is much cheaper and easier to adjust.

In Chiang Mai due to the elevation above sea level (lower pressure) and warm/humid conditions that reducing the yeast by half a teaspoon per mix works much better. Using the recommended amount create bread balloons which is not good.

Depending on how lazy I get I can get wholemeal and rye etc from the bakery place and make up the dough in the machine then create a farmhouse loaf and bake it in the wall oven instead of the breadmaker. Same deal for italian olive and tomato paste or pesto and pine nuts rolled loaves.

CB

And guts down the whole loaf at a sitting.

Where did you get your bread maker CB?

Do you use a proper bread mix or make your own?

The bread maker is a Breville and came with me from Australia with my stuff. I have not seen one in Chiang Mai but have been told that you can buy them in Bangkok at the big department stores there.

I make my own bread mix using the recipes that came with the breadmaker. In Oz I used the Defiance brand premix packs but here anything similar is too expensive and not worth the effort. Now I buy the bread flour and milk powder from a commercial bakery supplies place in Chiang Mai. The rest of the ingredients are easy to source and the yeast I use is in a small bottle not in packets. This is much cheaper and easier to adjust.

In Chiang Mai due to the elevation above sea level (lower pressure) and warm/humid conditions that reducing the yeast by half a teaspoon per mix works much better. Using the recommended amount create bread balloons which is not good.

Depending on how lazy I get I can get wholemeal and rye etc from the bakery place and make up the dough in the machine then create a farmhouse loaf and bake it in the wall oven instead of the breadmaker. Same deal for italian olive and tomato paste or pesto and pine nuts rolled loaves.

CB

Interesting!. I've made my own bread for years with a breadmachine but could'nt find one here so its all been by hand.I had sporadic successes but often the dough didnt rise as it should.So I tried this 'sourdough' method.

Day 1..mix 3/4 cup of breadflour with 1/3 cup warm water and 1/4 tsp dried yeast.Cover and leave overnight.

Day 2..add 2/3 cup warm water 1/2 tsp yeast,1tsp salt,3 tbls olive oil 1/2 tsp sugar.Then add enough flour to form the 'firmish' dough. Play arround with it for 10 mins ,then cover and forget for a few hours.

Turn our over a floured board and either/or divide it into smaller portions for rolls or use all of it in a bread baking tin....cover and give it 1-2 hours to finaly rise.

Spray with salted water,sprinkle with Sesame seeds and bake at 240 C for 35-40 mins.For extra crusty rolls I spray a few times during the first 10 mins of baking,and up the temperature for the last 5 mins of baking

Since I've been making it this way its been perfect every time and does keep moist for 4-5 days.

I have found that the Thai bread for sale is too sweet for my tastes.

Since I've been making it this way its been perfect every time and does keep moist for 4-5 days.

I have found that the Thai bread for sale is too sweet for my tastes.

A good simple and effective bread mix. I find that once I get one I like I tend to stick to it. After a few "not so good" loaves you get a feel for the ingredients and the cooking method. Every oven is different and that affects the bread.

Biggest thing to remember is that bread is a living organism and needs to be treated accordingly. You cannot expect to bung the whole lot into a tin and just bake. You have to get a feel for how the dough forms, is it too sticky? too moist? is the weather very hot , the air humid or dry, is it close to sea level or in the mountains. What is the protein content of the bread flour? Age of the yeast? Are you making it in a big tin (1.5-2kg) or smaller?

I agree about Thai or most commercial bread - it is sweet and mostly steamed not baked. Places like A&P are real bakeries and for people who don't wish to or can't make their own bread are great. We should be encouraging them by purchasing their products.

CB

My wife and I are regulars. We mainly buy their multigrain and namesake bread. Not sure how they spell it but it is a combination of their names Pascal & Aom. Also try new stuff if it looks interesting.

We always have a little visit when they are not too busy and find them a nice young couple. By all means, try out their breads and if they agree with your taste buds, return often.

I went there Friday and they were closed; then needed to pick up bread yesterday after a 10 hour road tour with guests and wasn't sure that they would be open so stopped at Lotus Mae Chan and bought their entire supply of French sticks rather than take the chance on A&P being closed or sold out at 4pm.

We ate the Lotus bread with pasta and it wasn't too bad.

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks mate, I was planning to call in tomorrow but will go to Big C instead.

Those round unsliced loaves they do will serve at a pinch and they freeze well.

seeing A&P is closed for a week i would like to give a plug for the TOURIST INN

i have tried the bread at A&P, but have been going to the TOURIST INN for years

and have found nothing to better there wholemeal bread and certainly not the BIG C

What time do they bake there Soap?

I tried them a few months back and the bread, while quite good, was all a day old.

I got there in the morning sometime. I like my bread fresh as it freezes better.

if you get there about 11 am you might get the bread just come out of the oven

but i have allways found their bread keeps good for at least 5 days out of the freezer

and as long has you want in the freezer.

i dont think it matters but i toast most of my bread

I like it fresh for a round of sandwiches when I get it home then freeze the rest for toasting etc as I often don't get into town for up to 2 weeks at a time.

I have to drop my mate at the airport for the TG 11.10am to BKK flight tomorrow so will check the Tourist Inn out on the way home.

Edited by sceadugenga

Stopped by A&P today and they said they will be closed until Monday 16th. They are moving into their new house. Thought this notice might save somebody a trip.

I for one will not be returning to A&p.

I have gone to their new ,out of the way premises three times to find it closed.

Will check out the tourist inn.