A&p Bakery

sceadugenga

Here is my take on A&P.

A young baker, trying to make an honest living to support his wife and baby girl. He is not selling beer and girls in the nightlife. He is not a supervisor of others or a businessman per say. He's more of a craftsman, owner operator. Making a perishable product by hand, he is unable to carry a large stock, on the off chance someone may stop by. He is very willing to take orders in advance, if people have a real craving for something in particular.

Other than his products, which the wife and I enjoy, we enjoy our brief visits with the three of them, and sometimes the mother as well. So there are the intangibles and personal aspects as well as the product.

I fully understand the, "I want, what I want and I want it now" plus I want to pay as little as possible, way of thinking. So if price or convenience are of the greatest importance, there are other options. I think we will continue to do our little bit to give back by patronizing A&P when we can.

I don't think any of us were complaining about the price or service, like the products he supplies they are excellent and competitive.

Reliability must be an issue. I called in with visitors a few weeks back on a Friday and he was closed, maybe a family emergency, I don't know.

Now he is closed for a week to move house.

I've promoted this business as much as anyone on the forum and will continue to patronise it and promote it. Not only for his bread but other products... baked quiche, bacon, pate etc.

I'd just like to be sure he was going to be open when I go there.

My comment was not meant as criticism of others, just my own take on why we go there, when we can. I too, go elsewhere at times.

He is actually only closed for 4 days and will open again Monday.

I'll try to be more thoughtful, and less colorful, in my choice of words next time.

• 1 month later...

Dropped by A&P yesterday and noticed some crescent rolls on the counter. Knowing that he doesn't usually prepare them, I asked what was up, as I ordered several. To my surprise, he explained that he was using up his stock as he is closing his bakery by the end of next week.

He appears not to have the thick skin and callous nature needed to weather the slings and arrows showered upon him by the dregs of the Rai. He is also unwilling to do as advised by others. To douse his breads with cancer causing preservatives to increase shelf life, so he would only need to bake once or twice a week. His attempt to provide quality bread, freshly baked daily, appears beyond the budget of most in the Rai.

So the wife and I are going to make one more run next week and then have to do without our favorite bread for breakfast. We wish Pascal and Aom and their little baby girl, all the best in their future endeavors.

(I have stopped reading the forums but felt compelled to return for this post.)

I'll personally be sorry to see him go. I've bought bread there at every opportunity, usually purchasing two weeks supply and freezing it.

Looks like I'll have to start making a "bread run" to Chiang Mai again.