Sole Proprietor Vs Company Set Up/structure?

Marisa

Hi

Hoping someone can offer some basic advice. I am look-krung (grew up in the UK but have Thai nationality). I cannot read/speak fluent Thai and still often get treated as falang.

I've been here in BKK for 3.5 years working as an employee.

I have recently decided to branch out on my own with a number of options for work/business. One of which is a freelance/consultant option as well as having my own 'business' of some kind.

Can anyone advise (as a Thai national) if I should go for the SOLE TRADER/PROPRIETORSHIP or go into the complexities of setting up some kind of COPORATION/PARTNERSHIP?

What is the main difference in paperwork needed, difficulty, WH tax and payments/fees etc?

As well as the Consultant role (which would just be me, a laptop and my time), the other business of mine would equate to just me again but with an online presence/service at this point. If it took off (if I needed more people etc) then I would obviously have to re-consider. However I am not yet at that stage so was just looking at the immediate future in order to make the most of not paying too much tax etc.

I know this is not necessarily Thai Visa related but I can't find the information in English on the net for 'Thai Nationals'.

Thanks a lot for any help!

As a Thai citizen it is much easier to start off as a sole trader, which is what most small businesses in Thailand are, when you bigger there may be advantages to becoming a limited company. Us "imports" do not get that option to be a sole trader. You only pay income tax on what you declare you can be more flexible.

It would still be worth talking to a professional to outline the pros and cons, but up to a certain point the sole trader option is the least paperwork and hassle option.

As a Thai citizen it is much easier to start off as a sole trader, which is what most small businesses in Thailand are, when you bigger there may be advantages to becoming a limited company. Us "imports" do not get that option to be a sole trader. You only pay income tax on what you declare you can be more flexible.

It would still be worth talking to a professional to outline the pros and cons, but up to a certain point the sole trader option is the least paperwork and hassle option.

Hi there

Thanks a lot for your help. I think you're right actually. I did a little more digging and found something similar. But thanks again for your message.

:o