Favourite Restaurants

The Vulcan

A couple of days ago I went to a newish restaurant just off Soi 94 for lunch called Khorat Kitchen and it is a very good new addition to the local restaurant scene. The food was excellent, prices were very reasonable and service was good. They offer Thai food with an emphasis on Issan fare and a very good selection of western food.

There were two of us for lunch and my friend and I both had food from the western section of the menu and were both very pleased with the main, side dishes and sauces. I also took home a couple of Thai dishes for the missus and she said they were good enough for a return visit. I don't know if it was just the one they handed me or if they are all like that, but the Thai food section of the menu was only in Thai language while the western food section was in English. There are lots of photos though so I just ordered the ones I knew my wife likes from those. I had the pork fillets with Bearnaise sauce and it was an excellent dish.

It's located about 150 meters off soi 94. It's next door to a restaurant whose sign says they have Thai, European, and "Maxican" food. I've been meaning to try that one but haven't made it there yet.

To get there go up 94 and turn left on the next major cross street above the railroad tracks (maybe 500 meters after the RR). It's the soi that crosses 94 just after the Amara Inn. The soi makes a slight turn to the left about 100 meters in and then you'll see the "Maxican" place followed by Khorat Kitchen immediately after.

Edited by hhfarang
  • Like 1

Have been travelling to Hua Hin vesiting family for 5 years already, my favourite Thai and Italian restaurant are both located at Nongplub Road. The thai place called Thai Taste, fantastic simple Thai food (not seafood) with reasonable price, the raw shrimp is a Must Try dish as u dont find the sauce anywhere else, the house wine they have are pretty drinkable as well and the staff all speak pretty good english which is quite unusual. The Italian place called Pizza Casamia which is right opposite to Hua Hin School which also serve drinkable house wine, food are absolutely amazing especially the seafood pasta and four cheeze pizza! The staffs dont speak very good english but always with a wonderful smile on their face, the boss is an old Swedish guy who always chat with customer.

For Japanese food i really like the one at Patkasam road Soi 94 called Okura, Food are absolutely delicious, staffs are kind and professional as well and the price is very reasonable.

All three places i recommended above are nothing fancy, but created a wonderful cozy atmosphere that warm your heart :)

For good Thai seafood running like industy i recommended Chao Lay at the pier close to Hilton and another one i dont know the name but its on the Clock Towel road and right opposite of the entrance of Night Market.

• Thanks 1

hhnmp,

Where exactly is Thai Taste? It sounds like a place we would like to try.

Its located at the left hand side of Nong Plub road right after Beverly Hill, you will see a restuarant with a balcony and orange light and there it is :)

• 3 weeks later...

Another strong recommendation from me and my family is Zab Wer (or Zeb Wer) located on Soi 112 about 3 kilometers from Phetkasem road on the left side (if you come to the first floating market you've gone too far). It is a large open air Thai style restaurant with ample parking and additional sala seating outside the main dining room.

The Thai part of the menu is extensive with lots of Issan (and even Lao) style food and there is enough western food, including breakfasts, burgers, salads, ribs, and fish 'n chips to keep anyone who doesn't want Thai food happy.

My wife is from Issan and this may become her favorite Issan food outlet in town as the food was delicious and the prices very reasonable. We had five Thai meals, (three there, two take-away) one western meal, two orders of rice, water and a large Thai beer all for under 900 baht.... it was enough food for six people or to feed the three of us both lunch today and dinner tonight. Average price for a Thai meal was around 80-90 baht, western meals from 120 to about 190 baht.

Good service in a big, clean open air place and highly recommended from what we tasted today. The only downside was the loud dirt trucks passing about every 4 or 5 minutes hauling loads for the road work going on out there. Not really a big problem but you do have to stop your conversation when one goes by as they seem to have no mufflers at all. They open mid morning (around nine I think) for breakfast and then serve both lunch and dinner (not sure how late though) as well.

Thank you for this tip,

we went there yesterday night.

Foods was good and well priced. Service was a little too short, but they was having theyr birthday party on the back of the kitchen so it could be for this.

The place is far away for us living in Chomsin, but by car is not a big problem thumbsup.gif .

They have a very nice playground for kids and Elisa get crazy stayng there, just consider it's for kids up to 3 y.o., so better to be carefull with some game/toys.

I hope they will finish the street jobs soon, so that they can skip to stay "sealed" with plastic tents having a kind of non natural heat inside the dining room also when outside it's windy (but for now they needs, if not they will take too much dust from the street...)

Good place!

wai2.gif

• Thanks 1

Going having dinner in Kao Takiab i seeing a new (new for me, may be) place called Wilaiwan, on the right side of the street immediately after the Hyatt.

I was attracted by the label "Bakery"... may be because my job... may be because am a yummy people... but i swear i have to try it.

This afternoon we went there to take a look, the place looks very nice, a wood white building with a lot of windows on a corner of a clean and nice parking, about 100 mt far from the main street...

Nice also inside, playng on white e wood tunes, with sofas and tables.

A lot of staff, a nice display of fresh baked sweet thing like croissants, rolls, buns, and another nice frigider with a lot of cakes (sliced) or in monoportions.

Looks a place where you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner, but also just a cup of coffee and a cake slice.

We tryed the banana cheesecake and the cappuccino mousse.

First one was good, but the cheese cake cream was a little too tick for me (aged), and the two storey of banana bread not too much tasty of bananas...

The other one was excellent, soft and creamy, and tasty in the right way.

Both served with some wipped cream (unsweetened).

You can understand from a lot of different particulars that is not a common place... everything is customized with the Brand, cake slices have on top a chocolate plate with the name also, everything looks enough professional (excluding the staff drinking back from the counter).

Good american coffee, fair iced tea.

3 cakes, 2 drinks, 525thb (cake are priced at 125thb).

A place where i will return to try something more,

but looks really nice.

wai2.gif

• Thanks 1

We went at Baan Steak last sunday night, on our arrival we was alone.

5 more peoples arriving later.

Nice to see the Chef jackets on the wall (more nice to see him wearing one while working...).

Bonus for the meat cooking explication card with pictures, never seen in Thailand, good impression.

Unfortunately we waited too much for our dinner, and plates arrived one by one making our normal dinner becoming a 1,5 hour waiting.

Fettuccine with pesto was so-so, but being italian may be a'm too strctly on this.

Thai food was good, but Tom Yam not perfect.

Excellent rib eye steack, with a very well done wine sauce on a side.

Excellent french fries (crispy but soft).

They asked sorry more than one time for the long wait (they say Chef was alone that night) and considering Thai people do not use to ask sorry so often this was a bonus also.

Right priced, simple service, quiet place.

However we will come back to give them a new opportunity.

wai2.gif

• Thanks 1

Yesterday we tryed a new (for us) restaurant.

Chef Cha Kitchen, on Petchkasem Road 50 meters before the soy before Sheraton Laguna Hotel (soi to go YaYa), left side arriving from Cha Am before to enter in Hua Hin.

Chef is a plury decorate one, with experience in Four Season, Sila Evason, Baan Isara etc etc

They have a small conditioned room and about 15 tables under a kind of patio.

Clean and well kept (if we exclude the motorbike parked inside the sala...).

Thai and western cooking, with good prices.

Plates have that kind of "best value" that the hand of a good Chef is able to give them.

We tryed a lot of things being 8 people.

- Unusual version of spring rolls, long like grissini and very good.

- Pork chunkle (enough for 2 people), crispy but tender and very good.

- Carbonara (fair good), spinach with cheese (too unsalty), a delicate Tom Yud, a very good sea bass with garlic and chily, and a few of others thai dishes, all good.

We liked so much that we stopped there also today for lunch.

A very good crab in black pepper sauce (probably the best until now), and a few more thai dishes.

They served us very fast, and bringing to the table all togheter as ordered.

We spent around 350thb on dinner, 250 on lunch (drinking water and fruit juices).

A very good address to put on the folder!

wai2.gif

time to go back, see you on late july, wishing you all a nice stayng

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to the area and wonder where you consider are good eating places?

So far I've enjoyed excellent Indian food at the Taj Mahal and I love the pizza's on the corner site in the town centre (soi leading to the Hilton)

Care to share your favourite places?

Vulcan, you look familiar!

I have another strong recommendation for a restaurant in the "value for money" category. It's called Hua HIn 99er Cafe. The food is all English/Western, breakfast, lunch, and dinner (10:30 a.m. through 8:00 p.m. Tuesday to Sunday, closed Mondays). It is just off Soi 102 (the real 102, not the one with Araya and Sea HIll developments at the end). Go out 102 straight across the railroad tracks about two kilometers. There is a cross street that has shops and homes going to the right (connecting the two sois 102 at the lake on the other end). The Hua Hin 99er cafe is on the left (you can see it from the intersection.

The reason it's called Hua Hin 99er is that the entire lunch/dinner menu is 99 baht per meal. Some of the breakfasts are even cheaper, but no meal is higher than 99 baht. I've had the fish and chips, bratwurst and mash with Indian curry sauce, and the sausages and mash and they have all been very good and well worth the 99 baht. They even have a Sunday roast for 99 baht, but I haven't tried that yet.

The lady that owns and runs the place will also brighten your day with her smiling and joking service.

Edited by hhfarang
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

A couple of days ago I went to a newish restaurant just off Soi 94 for lunch called Khorat Kitchen and it is a very good new addition to the local restaurant scene. The food was excellent, prices were very reasonable and service was good. They offer Thai food with an emphasis on Issan fare and a very good selection of western food.

There were two of us for lunch and my friend and I both had food from the western section of the menu and were both very pleased with the main, side dishes and sauces. I also took home a couple of Thai dishes for the missus and she said they were good enough for a return visit. I don't know if it was just the one they handed me or if they are all like that, but the Thai food section of the menu was only in Thai language while the western food section was in English. There are lots of photos though so I just ordered the ones I knew my wife likes from those. I had the pork fillets with Bearnaise sauce and it was an excellent dish.

It's located about 150 meters off soi 94. It's next door to a restaurant whose sign says they have Thai, European, and "Maxican" food. I've been meaning to try that one but haven't made it there yet.

To get there go up 94 and turn left on the next major cross street above the railroad tracks (maybe 500 meters after the RR). It's the soi that crosses 94 just after the Amara Inn. The soi makes a slight turn to the left about 100 meters in and then you'll see the "Maxican" place followed by Khorat Kitchen immediately after.

Thank you hhfarang,once again your tips about restaurant are preciosus.

We tryed Korat Kitchen this evening, and honestly i have to say that without your review i'll probably never entered/find this place...

I was a little suspicious reading the menu... a lot of farang food with important titles... but was really good indeed.

I tryed a beef strogonoff with mashed and adjusting with a little salt and pepper was good enough, and also mashed it was as jack potato also. My wife she tryed a couple of Isaan plates, others a tuna salad, others pad kaprao mu.

Being in 4 more the baby, just 715 thb... really honest for the quality.

A place to be back.

Thanks,

Claudio

^ I'm glad you enjoyed it Claudio. It is still one of our regulars as the Missus and I have lunch there at least once a week.

By the way, the place directly next door appears to have some good food as well. I've never eaten in because it's like sitting in someones carport, but I've ordered take-out of both the BBQ pork ribs and the Chicken Quesadilla which were both some of the best I've ever had. Their menu includes European, Mexican, and Thai food, open lunch, dinner, and maybe even breakfast.

Just further than that in the same direction on the corner of Soi 94 is a new Pizza place. It was an Italian place for a while but he has expanded to double his former space and installed a genuine wood fired pizza oven. I've eaten pasta and other Italian dishes there before and they were good but I haven't tried the pizza yet, opens at 1 p.m. but be aware that it takes a several hours for the wood fired pizza oven to get up to the necessary temperature and when I went to try one at 1 p.m. last week he told me the oven wouldn't be ready for another hour.

^ I'm glad you enjoyed it Claudio. It is still one of our regulars as the Missus and I have lunch there at least once a week.

By the way, the place directly next door appears to have some good food as well. I've never eaten in because it's like sitting in someones carport, but I've ordered take-out of both the BBQ pork ribs and the Chicken Quesadilla which were both some of the best I've ever had. Their menu includes European, Mexican, and Thai food, open lunch, dinner, and maybe even breakfast.

Just further than that in the same direction on the corner of Soi 94 is a new Pizza place. It was an Italian place for a while but he has expanded to double his former space and installed a genuine wood fired pizza oven. I've eaten pasta and other Italian dishes there before and they were good but I haven't tried the pizza yet, opens at 1 p.m. but be aware that it takes a several hours for the wood fired pizza oven to get up to the necessary temperature and when I went to try one at 1 p.m. last week he told me the oven wouldn't be ready for another hour.

The place next door do not just seems a carport, i thought it was a carport... yesterday night they was working on a table making a terrible noise (it was the only one thing who disturbed us there...) but... but... i understand that during day it's too hot... but wait for dinner time is not so smart...

The italian Pizza place i know the ownwer by another Facebook group, i still have to try it, i know they invest a lot in the past months to build the new wood fire oven... i'll try before to leave.

Also i was curious about the other italian named Olivo just a few meters before... but my problem is that i cook a lot italian at home so that honestly i prefer to taste something different once out of home...

wai2.gif

hhnmp,

Where exactly is Thai Taste?  It sounds like a place we would like to try.

I am not sure why the guy who recommended Thai Taste said its on 'nong pub road' maybe he is thinking of 'Luk Nam Pub' which is on the same road - but the correct name for the road is the Pala-U-Road same as the new Big C just keep on heading up this road past the Big C - its good food for falangs I like the beef massaman

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 1 month later...

Have been travelling to Hua Hin vesiting family for 5 years already, my favourite Thai and Italian restaurant are both located at Nongplub Road. The thai place called Thai Taste, fantastic simple Thai food (not seafood) with reasonable price, the raw shrimp is a Must Try dish as u dont find the sauce anywhere else, the house wine they have are pretty drinkable as well and the staff all speak pretty good english which is quite unusual. The Italian place called Pizza Casamia which is right opposite to Hua Hin School which also serve drinkable house wine, food are absolutely amazing especially the seafood pasta and four cheeze pizza! The staffs dont speak very good english but always with a wonderful smile on their face, the boss is an old Swedish guy who always chat with customer.

For Japanese food i really like the one at Patkasam road Soi 94 called Okura, Food are absolutely delicious, staffs are kind and professional as well and the price is very reasonable.

All three places i recommended above are nothing fancy, but created a wonderful cozy atmosphere that warm your heart smile.png

For good Thai seafood running like industy i recommended Chao Lay at the pier close to Hilton and another one i dont know the name but its on the Clock Towel road and right opposite of the entrance of Night Market.

I tried Pizza Casa Mia after reading this and the food is really awesome. Tiramisu is the best i have ever had. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Thanks 1

The Japanese place mentioned above is also one of my favorites but it is called Sakura, not Okura (unless there are two on Soi 94). Excellent Japanese food including Sushi at much lower prices than Fuji in Market Village (which I also like). It opens at noon and has both outdoor and indoor (air conditioned) seating.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

^ S&S is ok but in my humble opinion the place (sorry, can't remember the name) on the corner of Soi 80 and the railway road is way better. Great food, prices, and service. It's directly on the corner of Soi 80 and the railway road accessible from both.

• 4 months later...

Another excellent new restaurant called Baan Steak is located in the row of shop houses on Soi 102. Just drive across the railroad tracks and its the third or forth shop house on the right just two or three businesses past the pharmacy. It is a Thai fusion sort of restaurant owned and operated by a very nice Thai couple. The man is the chef and I say chef instead of cook because he is a professional chef with 32 years experience in 5 star hotels around Thailand resort communities, most recently the Dusit here in Hua Hin.

I wish I had taken photos of the meals he served as they were works of art in themselves. The name is deceiving as they do have steak, but they also offer a variety of seafood options as well as chicken, pork and others. The food is excellent and well priced and service, quality, and cleanliness are well above the usual for a small shop house restaurant like this. The only negative of the whole experience is that if you sit outside, especially at the outermost tables you may get some noise and odors coming from the motorcycle repair shop next door as they seem to work until 8 or 9 p.m.

We had New Zealand Mussels baked with garlic and cheese, fillet steak with pepper sauce served with some vegetables and french fries, the best (pork) cordon bleu I've seen here also with veggies and fries and 5 beers for 925 baht. Large portions and excellent food for that price including the beers (which were approximately a third of the bill).

Open evenings for dinner only.

Was looking forward to visiting it, but unfortunately it has, according to a women at a neighbouring restaurant/bar, been closed for about two months now.

^ Yep, several of the favorites I have mentioned on here are no longer in operation. They seem to come and go. While on this thread I will mention an outstanding new one for both European and Thai food. It's called Eat @ Hua Hin and is on the south (or left) side of soi 94 about 100 meters after you cross the railroad tracks heading from Phetkasem road.

• Thanks 1

Just 50m south of Market Village, on the same side of the road and just past the Vietnamese restaurant, but before the row of massage shops, there is a fairly plain and simple, but big, Thai restaurant. Serves not remarkable, but good and reasonably priced food. I'm in particular fond of the Tom Yum Talee (tom yum seafood soup), but they also have more exotic dishes. Menu has English text also. Have eaten there a dozens times or so over the years when visiting Hua Hin, and don't think I've had any complaints.

• 1 month later...

I am not plowing through the whole thread.....

Been here for a couple of days. I had lunch twice (yes, the food was that good) at Baan Itsara. Absolutely great food and good service. What they get right is cooking all the seafood to perfection, not to raw, not to dry.

Last night we went to the Chaolay seafood as it came highly recommended. The view is nice but the food is mediocre. Unlike at the Itsara, all the seafood was overcooked to the point of turning it into rubber.

I also notice that many restaurants that came recommended are closed for renovations, so we are struggling a bit....

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello guys, a'm back for a while, hope you are well.

We tryed tonight an Italian Pizza Restaurant, opened on last January, so... new for us.

The name is Nai Lert Park, at 63 Petchkasem Road, just before Marrakesh Condo on the main road coming from the center.

No particular advertise outside, the hotel it's still building and they ust open the restaurant.

Beach side, nice interiors, white colours, in a centenary building they restyled.

We already met the Chef in the past, he owned a pizza take away in Chomsin Road on a sharpe curve i always asked myself how could work being there. But pizza was good...

This is a new location and we went there to test the kitchen ;-)

Short menu (8 pizzas, 5 pastas, 6 appetizers, a few specials.

No Thai Food (i guess this is a real mistake considering farang's ladies) but my wife she likes pizza.

Good ingredients, good pizza (thin but not too much, well cooked, generous seasoning).

We tryed chicken liver patè (good, french style, with toasted bread and pickled veg), Eggplants Parmigiana (good also if little different from original), Pizza Margherita (with extra anchovies, very good with fresh basil and good tomato), Pizza with ham (good, with sweet Parma Ham put on pizza after exit by the oven).

No woodfired, electric oven.

Not cheap, but quality food we doesn't expect too cheap.

450 thb for pizza (any style), 60 thb extra anchovies (very good quality), 120 thb for chicken liver patè, i forgot the price of eggplants.

A place we liked and we can raccomand,

wai2.gif

Can some one please tell me where Mr burger is. Can someone be a bit more specific and .. For example give directions from Market Village or Huahin . Do you mean the driving range on the main Road going north from the city center.. Thanks.

There is, or at least used to be more than one Mr. Burger. The one I know about is probably the only one if there is only one left, and was the best one when there were multiple ones so I will attempt to give you directions to that one. It is called Mr. Burger 3 and has a big sign saying that out front of what looks like just a driveway.

It is on the Klong Road a bit past where the old immigration office used to be. There are many ways to get there but I think this is the simplest to describe. From Market Village go north (Cha-Am or Bangkok direction) on Phetkasem Road through down town Hua Hin and turn left on Soi 10. Take Soi 10 to the Klong road (called that by most foreigners because it runs next to a big canal) and turn right. The Klong road is the road you hit a little way after you cross the railroad tracks on Soi 10. In about a kilometer after you turn right on the Klong road you will see Mr. Burger 3 on the right hand side.

post-10734-0-96167300-1406248260_thumb.p

Edited by hhfarang

There is, or at least used to be more than one Mr. Burger. The one I know about is probably the only one if there is only one left, and was the best one when there were multiple ones so I will attempt to give you directions to that one. It is called Mr. Burger 3 and has a big sign saying that out front of what looks like just a driveway.

It is on the Klong Road a bit past where the old immigration office used to be. There are many ways to get there but I think this is the simplest to describe. From Market Village go north (Cha-Am or Bangkok direction) on Phetkasem Road through down town Hua Hin and turn left on Soi 10. Take Soi 10 to the Klong road (called that by most foreigners because it runs next to a big canal) and turn right. The Klong road is the road you hit a little way after you cross the railroad tracks on Soi 10. In about a kilometer after you turn right on the Klong road you will see Mr. Burger 3 on the right hand side.

attachicon.gifSelection_003.png

• Thanks 1