Favourite Restaurants

The Vulcan

^^^ hhfarang, so how was the Thanksgiving buffet? Did it meet your expectations?

Absolutely! Met and exceeded expectations! There must have been a hundred or so in attendance over the evening. The restaurant filled once and then had a second seating as some of the early eaters began to leave.

The buffet was plentiful and even had more variety than I expected. There were two kinds of turkey, smoked and deep fried, as well as ham, stuffing, turkey gravy, mashed potatoes, real fresh cranberry sauce, fresh baked rolls and loads of different salads and veggies.

I was sitting at a big table full of American friends all evening near the buffet and it was replenished constantly so that everyone got all they wanted to eat. And as advertised it was only 295 baht per person (plus VAT). Take a look around at the prices for similar upcoming Christmas dinners and you'll see that this was one of the best holiday dinner bargains to be found anywhere.

I spoke with the owner and asked him how he could do it so cheaply and he said that since he is American himself he just wanted to give everyone a good Thanksgiving that was affordable. He probably lost money on the dinner but hopefully made it up on drinks or in having people discover his restaurant that have never been there before.

I'll be watching his adverts closely to see when he offers another event like this, but in the meantime I will stop in a couple of times a month for Mexican, steak, or ribs!

• Thanks 1

Oh, it sounds like it was just wonderful. I remember that it was holidays like Thanksgiving that made me miss home and an event like you described makes it easier. The owner seems really cool! He probably has these very same sentiments, and although he may have lost money, he probably gained many long term customers. I'm glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday. :o

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I found a nice new Restaurant near the "Dinosaur Market" in Hua Hin Soi 56.

They have a big Beer Chang from 40 THB and Food from 30 THB and calls to Europe from 5 THB/min.

It is more a Familyplace than a Bar or Restaurant.

Clean and good food.

They have also a webpage : aesplace2b . com

I like it there

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

One of the nicest places we ate at was the beach restaurant at Pak Nam Prah, south of Hua Hin but easy to find by following the signs from Phetkasem Road. Really good, no mosquitoes (due I guess to closeness to sea), lovely breezes inthe evening. Food can be Thai or farrang and prices are very reasonable...The only problem is that I dont have a name for the place and it does need a car to get there obviously. I will visist it again when I am back next month and make sure I get the business card/address.... :)

• 2 months later...

I should say that most evenings I just bring home a Som Tam on the way home from work, and those you can get anywhere and each to his own favorite place. But when we feel like eating something else, here is a list of places we like to go, our main criteria is that it is cheap, so we set out to find good food for low cost:

For the best crispy pork in town along with awesome fruit, Oreo, etc. shakes, we go to the lunch restaurant located at the corner of Damnoen Kasem & Sa Song (In the big intersection by the police station it's away from the ocean, and then they are pretty much neighbors to TOT). My recommendations: Crispy Pork with red curry & Oreo shake. They close around 6pm, so go there for lunch.

For very good crispy pork and also roasted duck, there is a small restaurant in the ground floor of the building where amongst others the AA insurance brokers office is located, it's on Petchkasem Road between the police station and market village, oceanside in the only 5 story building there is. My recommendations: Crispy pork or roasted duck.

For cheap awesome burgers and salads, go to Cool & Relax, located on Sa Song close to the shopping mall (the road that crosses nightmarket). My recommendations: Burger and/or a salad.

Baan Lek Lek on Liap Thang Rotfai have very good steaks (chicken & pork) with mushroom sauce and french fries. Along with about 900 other dishes on the menu. The restaurant is located away from town on Liap Thang Rotfai. At the railway station drive away from the nightmarket and follow the road along the railway, Baan Lek Lek is then located on the left side on a corner, the restaurant is peach/orange colored. My recommendations: Chicken breast/steak with french fries and mushroom sauce.

Koh Seafood on the nightmarket, the restaurant with the red/white checkered table cloths. They have the most awesome hot pans. My recommendations: Black Pepper Beef hot pan (more beef then you have ever seen for ~120THB and sooo tasty) & Thai Whisky hot pan. (It was closed last time I went there, I hope not that it is permanent)

The 99 baht moo katah located that is located just on the corner of Petchkasem Road and Soi 47/1. They have a million blue plastic tables/chairs, so they should be easy to spot. They have excellent all you can eat moo katah for 99 THB!

For Pizza at affordable prices (still way over our daily budget tho) we occasionally go to Casa Mia on the Pala-U road on the right side when you head out of town. The pizzas are excellent and they cost as low as 200 THB.

For the largest burgers we go to Happy Inn Guesthouse located on Soi 55 near the pier. They are called KGB burgers, I think it's for Kurt's Giant Burgers (the owner is Kurt), that's probably the most expensive meal in this post, but you know when you have a hangover you deserve a little special treatment :). And my god are they good on a sunday with hangovers, he uses the best raw materials for his food I have tasted. Unfortunately he has sold the guesthouse now, but I think he will run it to around October 1st.

Last but definitely not least, we go to Music Room whenever we get the chance, I shouldn't even be telling you this, because we love the fact that there are NO farangs there. Their food is just plain excellent and their drinks are the cheapest in town, so we mostly go there before we go out in the weekends. For example now they have a promotion where you get a bottle of Ballantines with 3 mixers AND ½ liters of 100 Pipers for around 700 THB. We can sit there a whole night and eat and drink, and the price rarely exceeds a couple of hundred per person. My recommendations: Spicy pork salad with Kale (very very spicy, just the way I like it), Best french fries in Hua Hin, Sun Dried Beef is excellent as well. They used to be tugged away at Soi 51, but recently they moved to a much larger grounds just opposite Index Living mall on Petchkasem Road.

I bet there are alot of other restaurants out there that is just as good, but these are the ones we frequent since we like them so much :D

Should I comment on other mentioned restaurants in this thread:

Mr. Burger III: It used to be good, now I wouldn't call it more than decent. Increased their prices, and they just cannot make spicy food, even when you ask them for extra spicy it comes out so my grandmother could eat it without breaking a sweat!

3 girls on the canal road: Have nothing but bad experiences from there, the staff are useless (at least the ones we have had the times we've been there) and the food is overpriced and not more than decent. My verdict would be that they have to large a menu card, so it's impossible for the chef to know all the dishes.

Both restaurant have become to western minded for my liking...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favourite restaurants in Hua Hin is Natta's on soi 88. They serve excellent steaks at supricingly reasonably prices and have also delicious Thai food.

Another favourite is the Vietnamese restaurant Madame Nu located on Petchakem Road between soi 88/1 and Market Village.

• 1 month later...
One of my favourite restaurants in Hua Hin is Natta's on soi 88. They serve excellent steaks at supricingly reasonably prices and have also delicious Thai food.

Another favourite is the Vietnamese restaurant Madame Nu located on Petchakem Road between soi 88/1 and Market Village.

I second both of those suggestions stgrhe... especially Natta's! I tried it last month (twice) and had the delicious (295 baht!) fillet mignon steak both times (once with pepper sauce and once with Bearnaise sauce. They were both excellent and the best price in town in my humble opinion for a steak of that quality. My wife had the same steak with a mushroom sauce and it was also good (it's listed on a different page of the menu for some reason). I was intrigued by the size of the menu for a small place like that and there are many interesting items on there I want to try if I can ever go there without getting that great steak.

For those who live in the south end of town looking for something inexpensive and good, there is a new very small restaurant (remodeled recently, new owner) on Soi 116 that is worth a try. The're open for three meals a day (close early though, I think around 8 p.m.) and have full western breakfasts for 95 baht and lots of foreign and Thai dishes at very reasonable prices. It's called Sabai and is on the right side about three hundred meters up Soi 116 (south of town a kilometer or so past the flyover). I've tried the fish and chips and the weinerschnitzel and they were good. The fish and chips is not the usual English style beer batter but the batter used (same on the weinerschnitzel) is good and not dripping with oil like some places. The chips are also not the English style but are the crisp thin French fry style better known in America.

There is also a new bar called the Garden (had their opening night last week) opened on the same Soi (116) across from Sabai and up about 50 meters. It is a nicely laid out place with a new pool table and a good selection of beer, wine, and spirits. I've been there twice, once for their opening night celebration (last week with a free buffet) and another evening for a couple of beers and on that occasion they provided free snacks (chips or crisps in the "Queen's English" and nuts) along with our beers.

Both places are owned by foreigners (or their Thai wives/girlfriends); both Scotsmen I believe.

I'll second that aka_jack!

Lovely food there, they even have sushi included in the buffet. And spaghetti bolognese which usually is not cheap either.

The steaks are always very tender and nice. Also they have a variety of soups, 3 random ones each day.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a recommendation for a good English style breakfast in Cha-am? Hope there is a popular and well liked one. Thanks! :)

Also, (sorry for off topic) but I would be traveling to Cha-am from Thanyaburi. My map shows dotted lines for Hwy 9 bypassing BKK to the south. Is this OK to travel now or under construction/repair? Thx.

Edited by ThailandLovr

I second both of those suggestions stgrhe... especially Natta's! I tried it last month (twice) and had the delicious (295 baht!) fillet mignon steak both times (once with pepper sauce and once with Bearnaise sauce. They were both excellent and the best price in town in my humble opinion for a steak of that quality. My wife had the same steak with a mushroom sauce and it was also good (it's listed on a different page of the menu for some reason). I was intrigued by the size of the menu for a small place like that and there are many interesting items on there I want to try if I can ever go there without getting that great steak.

For those who live in the south end of town looking for something inexpensive and good, there is a new very small restaurant (remodeled recently, new owner) on Soi 116 that is worth a try. The're open for three meals a day (close early though, I think around 8 p.m.) and have full western breakfasts for 95 baht and lots of foreign and Thai dishes at very reasonable prices. It's called Sabai and is on the right side about three hundred meters up Soi 116 (south of town a kilometer or so past the flyover). I've tried the fish and chips and the weinerschnitzel and they were good. The fish and chips is not the usual English style beer batter but the batter used (same on the weinerschnitzel) is good and not dripping with oil like some places. The chips are also not the English style but are the crisp thin French fry style better known in America.

There is also a new bar called the Garden (had their opening night last week) opened on the same Soi (116) across from Sabai and up about 50 meters. It is a nicely laid out place with a new pool table and a good selection of beer, wine, and spirits. I've been there twice, once for their opening night celebration (last week with a free buffet) and another evening for a couple of beers and on that occasion they provided free snacks (chips or crisps in the "Queen's English" and nuts) along with our beers.

Both places are owned by foreigners (or their Thai wives/girlfriends); both Scotsmen I believe.

You whetted my appetite for steak when you mentioned bearnaise sause being available at Natta's, so I think I'll drive down from Cha-am and check out Hua Hin as well, probably staying a night in each city and do a dinner at Natta's also. Do you have a recommendation for full English breakfast in Hua Hin also? :)

Edited by ThailandLovr

• 2 weeks later...
I used to live in the UK and I truly miss Sunday Roast with Yorkshire pudding, honney glazed parsnips, potatoes and baby carrots. I cannot get it where I live now - is ther a british pub restaurant in Hua Hin which caters for this?

There are some places that have in the past, but I haven't checked for a while so you'll have to check to see if they still do. The ones that come highly recommended are/were:

Jimmy's Bar - Soi 102 (just across the railroad tracks on the right)

Dick's Office - Soi 80 (about 3 blocks from the main road on the left)

Buffalo Tavern - Near the fishing pier

With all the British owned bars and restaurants in town, I'm sure there are others as well.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

They have a big Beer Chang from 40 THB and Food from 30 THB and calls to Europe from 5 THB/min.

Clean and good food.

I like it there

I couldn't find it. Have they moved?
  • Like 1

Clean and good food.

I like it there

I couldn't find it. Have they moved?

It may be more likely that they've closed. This is a very slow tourist season and only the popular places are making it. Jimmy's, (on Soi 102) that I mentioned in my last post about where to find a good Sunday roast has closed up shop recently due to a lack of business. Shame really, as it was a good place.

• 3 months later...

You whetted my appetite for steak when you mentioned bearnaise sause being available at Natta's, so I think I'll drive down from Cha-am and check out Hua Hin as well, probably staying a night in each city and do a dinner at Natta's also. Do you have a recommendation for full English breakfast in Hua Hin also? :)

I know this is a very late reply, but I cannot see any recommendation on this as yet. May I suggest 'The Victoria', absolutely excellent Full English breakfast, with really good pots of tea. The place is run by a nice chap called Barry. It is situated on the right hand side of Phetkasem road some 300 yards from the traffic lights, on the same side as Municipality building as you travel south from HH.

They also do very good liver and onion.

• 4 weeks later...

I just went to a brand new restaurant last night on Soi 90 (also accessible from Soi 94). It's called Terrace90 and I highly recommend it. They have a huge menu bound to satisfy most people and are open all day starting with breakfasts at 45 baht with a full American at 75 and a full English at 130 baht.

They have steaks, American style ribs and pulled pork sandwiches, Italian food, Mexican food, and an extensive Thai menu (from what I noticed the Thai dishes range from 59 baht to 100 baht), all at very low prices for a restaurant of this quality (very nice with outdoor or indoor air conditionned seating). The selection and prices of drinks seemed good too compared with other similar restaurants. I had a very good bottle of California Zinfandel (a type of wine that I have not seen at any other restaurant) for 699 baht. To go with the wine I had the rib eye steak with pepper sauce on the side (jacket potato and steamed vegies included) for only 259 baht. My (Thai) wife had two of her favorite Thai dishes and gave them two thumbs up as well.

As yesterday was opening day, you can expect a few minor problems until they get settled in (last night they had a power problem in the middle of our meal but it wasn't a total outage and there was still enough light to enjoy our meal and they were quick to arrive with floor fans on extension cords to keep us cool).

The restaurant has very good (romantic) ambiance that you would not expect to find away from the beach or at these prices. They have a second floor that one of the (Thai) lady owners showed us at my request that is not open yet, but they plan to have more seating a nice bar with bar seating and some soft live music up there later. They also have a parking lot adjacent to the property which is always important to me.

They said also that they are having a Cinco de Mayo celebration this Wednesday evening (May 5th). That's a famous Mexican holiday. They intend to have a ribs and Mexican buffet for 199 baht. According to the web site reservations are recommended.

The place is on Soi 90 but it is also directly at the end of a small soi that runs from Soi 94 (2nd soi east of the railroad tracks. You can look down that soi and actually see the restaurant two or three hundred meters away.

They already have a website up with extensive information about the menu, events, and location Terrace 90

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just to let Americans who want to celebrate the 4th of July know (and Brits who want to celebrate getting rid of the U.S. colonies :) ), I just noticed (from their web site "events") that Terrace 90 is having a 4th of July (Independence Day) buffet that sounds interesting. It is typical American 4th of July fare for anyone missing home like BBQ pork, hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans and corn bread in an "all you can eat" buffet format for 199 baht.

Other than the above all I would need here is my family and some fireworks to celebrate with to make it official! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Best steak so far was towards Kao Takiab

head towards Takiab from town centre, past the u-turn bridge (stay in left hand lane), keep going a little further and it is on the same side of the road as the big temple, directly across from the 2 Thai Karaoke bars. 180 Baht with french fries and Salad (or veg). It has a Thai name, would go back and have do so many times. laugh.gif

Also does anyone know of any decent Moo-Kata? I have tried the one on Petchkasem Road heading towards Cha-Am, wasn't too impressed bah.gif

TJK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe NHkidCudi is talking about the Butcher Shop which is located just opposite Hin Nam Sai Suay on Petchkasem Road close to Soi 6. It's the same kitchen/menu as the three Mr Burger restaurants.

I believe NHkidCudi is talking about the Butcher Shop which is located just opposite Hin Nam Sai Suay on Petchkasem Road close to Soi 6. It's the same kitchen/menu as the three Mr Burger restaurants.

Yes, that sounds right now that I think about it. That is the location of the first Mr. Burger, I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

On the water we like Krua Medsai. In Cha Am beach road north and as the pavement runs out you'll see the big sign.

Cheap, fresh and steps from the beach.

We also used to like this place. But on our recent visit the crab in the khao pad pboo was stale and the prawns were mostly head (not that the mother-in-law minded: It's the best bit for her :D). Add to that, the fresh crab that my wife ordered turning up a couple of minutes before the chek bin, and the generally surly attitude of the staff, and this place is on our avoid list now. Plenty of good places on the smaller beaches south of Khao Takiab, so we won't be giving any more of our hard-earned to this place that has become too big for it's boots.

• Thanks 1

I just went to a brand new restaurant last night on Soi 90 (also accessible from Soi 94). It's called Terrace90 and I highly recommend it. They have a huge menu bound to satisfy most people and are open all day starting with breakfasts at 45 baht with a full American at 75 and a full English at 130 baht.

They have steaks, American style ribs and pulled pork sandwiches, Italian food, Mexican food, and an extensive Thai menu (from what I noticed the Thai dishes range from 59 baht to 100 baht), all at very low prices for a restaurant of this quality (very nice with outdoor or indoor air conditionned seating). The selection and prices of drinks seemed good too compared with other similar restaurants. I had a very good bottle of California Zinfandel (a type of wine that I have not seen at any other restaurant) for 699 baht. To go with the wine I had the rib eye steak with pepper sauce on the side (jacket potato and steamed vegies included) for only 259 baht. My (Thai) wife had two of her favorite Thai dishes and gave them two thumbs up as well.

As yesterday was opening day, you can expect a few minor problems until they get settled in (last night they had a power problem in the middle of our meal but it wasn't a total outage and there was still enough light to enjoy our meal and they were quick to arrive with floor fans on extension cords to keep us cool).

The restaurant has very good (romantic) ambiance that you would not expect to find away from the beach or at these prices. They have a second floor that one of the (Thai) lady owners showed us at my request that is not open yet, but they plan to have more seating a nice bar with bar seating and some soft live music up there later. They also have a parking lot adjacent to the property which is always important to me.

They said also that they are having a Cinco de Mayo celebration this Wednesday evening (May 5th). That's a famous Mexican holiday. They intend to have a ribs and Mexican buffet for 199 baht. According to the web site reservations are recommended.

The place is on Soi 90 but it is also directly at the end of a small soi that runs from Soi 94 (2nd soi east of the railroad tracks. You can look down that soi and actually see the restaurant two or three hundred meters away.

They already have a website up with extensive information about the menu, events, and location Terrace 90

Made it to this place on our recent stay in town. The owner still has some work to do but, overall, it gets a big thumbs-up from us. The garden setting for breakfast is lovely. The tea and coffee are as good as you'll get in this town. The English breakfast is a bit of a 'curate's egg': The back bacon is great, eggs fine, sausage poor and under-cooked (surprising considering all the options for good quality English-style sausages available in town), toast with jam and butter fine, hash browns (American style!?!) absolutely delicious. The premises, inc toilets are very clean.

We went for dinner one night. There was a buffet on downstairs. We ate upstairs, where there was a duo playing a very pleasant, easy-on-the-ear vocal/acoustic guitar set. I ate the fillet with fries and pepper sauce, my wife had the yam pla duk foo shredded catfish dish. Both were superb. The wine list is excellent and the prices are bafflingly cheap, but they need to keep the whites refrigerated: We ordered a good quality Aussie brut sparkling which was served at room temp, then shoved in an ice bucket! It was starting to taste quite delicious toward the bottom of the bottle. We had a couple of cocktails to finish, which were great.

Despite the minor problems, we liked this place a lot and will be back next time we're in town.

• Thanks 1

^ Now besides their Friday Night 199 baht international buffet, Terrace90 are also serving an all you can eat Mexican food buffet for that same price on Tuesday nights. It starts this week and I can't wait to try it as Mex is one of my favorites.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

There is a new restaurant in Khao Takiab that I like to recommend. It is called "KISS TRO" and is located on the right hand side when driving from the town about 100 metres after the Hyatt Regency intersection.

Kiss Tro is an international restaurant run by a French guy who has many years experience from being a chef in five star resorts and this guy really can cook and present his food the food very nicely. The price level is moderate but the quality for the money spent is nothing but excellent. I have now eaten there three times tasting meat, fish and pasta dishes and all have tasted fantastic. For me to say that doesn't come easy as I normally is quite choosy about food.

Thai food is also available and cooked by a Thai lady, but my wife said it too is tasting very good.

Kiss Tro also bake their own bread and it is also the best bread I have tasted here in Hua Hin.

Give this restaurant a try fellows, you will not be disappointed.

• Thanks 1

Stgrhe,

Do you know if Kiss Tro is open for lunch?

Yes they are and I had lunch there again today. Actually they open quite early as they also sell fresh good quality bread. Also, I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the name "Kiss" has nothing to do with kissing but comes from Kissond, the owner's name.