Mileage Allowance

Bluebell

What's the going rate (outside Bangkok) per Km for staff who use their own vehicle for company business?

We are currently using a set figure for short journeys depending on distance but occasionally staff have to travel to other provinces and we need to set a fair mileage allowance.

Any advice appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember this being in a thread within the past six months or so - before recent price increases I think 3-4 baht per Km was mentioned. The other issue was insurance and the impact of any accident that occured during driving on company business in private vehicles - wise to resolve the question in your staff's mind before it is tested with a real life example.

If it helps.

BKK taxi

2-12kms 4 baht

12-20kms 5.5 baht

over 20kms 6.5 baht.

Of course they are making money on the deal but there again they run on LPG which is a third of the cost.

Years ago in Canada we used to get 22c / km which is coincedentally 6.6 baht/km. That was when gas was equivalent to 16.5 baht/l.

You may be better off to pay a fixed monthly "bonus" and reimburse the fuel at cost. Depending on their regular duties a road trip is not sitting behind a desk so they may be willing to suffer a little. I pay my salesman 10,000 per month for the use of his car. But that lowers his salary so if I have to dismiss him I am not liable for so much severance pay. It is all swings and roundabouts.