Drugs Available In Thailand

girlx

I have never had a huge problem with smoking til recently, and I seem to have developed the habit, even though I find it disgusting. I tried reading 'The Easy Way to Stop Smoking' and it did not work for me. I was wondering if there are any pharmaceutical aids I can buy in Thailand to help me?

I have never had a huge problem with smoking til recently, and I seem to have developed the habit, even though I find it disgusting. I tried reading 'The Easy Way to Stop Smoking' and it did not work for me. I was wondering if there are any pharmaceutical aids I can buy in Thailand to help me?

Go to Pharmacy......ask for pack of elastoplast.....put acrooss mouth/tape smoking fingers together....remove only for cell phone and eating.....look at pack of fags ...throw in the bin!!! :D:o

Guess the Nicorette route is the better one to go with!! I just smoked less and less over 6 months....30 a day/20 a day/10 a day and finally only after dinner. It worked for me.

Best wishes, girlx. I am 54yo and started smoking when I was 18yo. Two heart attacks later and absolutely no will power. Actually, I enjoyed having a cigarette. I felt sure I would die with a cigarette between my lips.

It took a combination of factors to help me stop. I had tried nicotine gum (gave me an upset stomach), nicotine patches (I never tried LSD - but that's the dreams you get with the patches). I also tried Zyban (started to work - but needed more will-power that I didn't have).

In the end, pressure from my elderly mother, a strict non-smoking new Thai other half and a bit more self-respect and I decided to try the latest drug - Champix. In Australia's it's very expensive, unless your doctor can get an authority from the Health Department in Canberra. It has the highest success rate of any method - 30%.

You smoke as normal for the first week - then find you do not want or even need a cigarette. Champix works by blocking the link between the brain and the nicotine receptors (similar to how aspirin blocks the sensation of pain when you have a headache -- the headache is still there - but no pain).

girlx, if you can get Champix in Thailand - by all means try it. I highly recommend it - 5 weeks smoke-free and proud of myself.

Peter

i tried nicorette and it made me feel vomitous but did not stop the smoking... i am talking about something like champix...?

What is champix?

brand name for a drug with the main ingredient Varenicline. i think the manufacturer is Pfizer. blocks nicotine receptors in the brain. results are mixed.

I'm a heavy smoker (local tobacco. I quit smoking "industrial" cigarettes 14 months ago). What do you suggest that I take with me before boarding a long flight (CM-Bkk-Abu Dhabi-Paris)? Traveling alone with my 6 years old son, I won't have the opportunity to go the the smoking lounge.

i tried nicorette and it made me feel vomitous but did not stop the smoking... i am talking about something like champix...?

What is champix?

brand name for a drug with the main ingredient Varenicline. i think the manufacturer is Pfizer. blocks nicotine receptors in the brain. results are mixed.

In this (yellow :o ) subforum, there is a thread about Chantix (Suicide Warning for Antismoking Drug). Spelling mistake or different drug?

also wondering if i can find it in thailand... i will look in the pharmacy today. what about zyban? reviews? available in thailand?

edit: just saw the post about zyban. didn't realize it was wellbutrin... i was prescribed it as an antidepressant long ago... would never mess with those again! unless you have the exact diagnosis that it works for, it makes your life hel_l, and antidepressants are hel_l to come off of...

Edited by girlx

I'm a heavy smoker (local tobacco. I quit smoking "industrial" cigarettes 14 months ago). What do you suggest that I take with me before boarding a long flight (CM-Bkk-Abu Dhabi-Paris)? Traveling alone with my 6 years old son, I won't have the opportunity to go the the smoking lounge.

Any suggestions ?

Any suggestions ?

Gum or patches.

What is champix?

In this (yellow :o ) subforum, there is a thread about Chantix (Suicide Warning for Antismoking Drug). Spelling mistake or different drug?

Chantix is what they are calling it in the US, Champix everywhere else.

I just finished a 3 month course along with my mother and have nothing but praise for it. Haven't smoked since the first week of Jan. No suicidal thoughts, just a general unwillingness to smoke. In fact, since I went off the drug a few weeks ago it has been really easy to keep going. Have neen out for beers and been alone with a pack and lighter on many occasions and the thought flickers in my brain to grab one but then it just passes. Amazing. Mum is still off them too. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Can't help with regard to how you get them in LOS. I got mine in Australia while visiting over Xmas. Maybe try an online pharmacy?

I was a heavy smoker. My wife never complained (non-never-smoker) until last year when the smoke got too much for her but she was never nasty about it.

It was more meant to help me improve my own health...right she was.

But, one has to start fighting within your own brain and it takes time.

At a certain moment I was 'ready' to stop and made an appointment with a well known acupuncturist.

It took him 20-30 minutes and only one treatment; I asked for another appointment, just to be sure.

I'm clean now for almost 6 months; never touched a cigarette anymore.

...... but it's all in the brain....

LaoPo

Why do the acupuncture if "it's all in the brain"?

The needles block certain nerves, steering other nerves and braincells...telling the 'screeming' cells: you need a cigarette.

"it's all in the brain" was meant to tell that the addiction is in the brain (cells).

But, if one is not yet ready to STOP SMOKING...forget it, whatever the 'help' with needles, medication or otherwise.

Smoking is a lot more heavy (and difficult to cure) addiction than alcohol. :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Thank you LaoPo. Yes, nicotine is a very hard addiction to overcome and not much sympathy for smokers who try to quit and fail. I tried welbutrin and it didn't help nor did hypnosis so I am inclined to agree with you that one must to want to quit in order to succeed.

LaoPo, Can you please give details about this acupuncturist.Thanks

Sorry, this chap is in my own home country. If you are in LOS you could try any good acupuncturist but not all of them have experience with the treatment to stop smoking.

Good luck.

LaoPo

• 2 weeks later...
At a certain moment I was 'ready' to stop and made an appointment with a well known acupuncturist.

It took him 20-30 minutes and only one treatment; I asked for another appointment, just to be sure.

i also would love any recommendation for an acupuncturist, in BKK... might as well try.

I had nicotine gum, from drugstores here, but gave it up as it gave me terrible heartburn, worse than a night of drinking and two packs would.

Cold turkey over 4 months now.

Great news! Keep up the continued program.

:o