A Person Asked Me A Couple Of Questions

Kan Win

These where:-

1. I have just brought a Canon S5 IS. What do you think about going from hot mid-day picture (camera) and taking it into a cold car in Thailand April/May as it is pretty hot?

Do you have to put the camera in re-sealable plastic bag? :o

Can you put your camera into the boot (trunk) of your car and will it be better than in the cold air-con of your car after taking picture in the middle of day on a hot day?

Camera was brought yesterday at Beach Camera in America by my daughter for 295 dollars .

2. Is a Mack Warranty a good thing to buy?

I live in Thailand and can I buy Mack warranty is 5 years warranty for 35 dollars at Beach Camera.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kan Win:-

Believe me, he Beached me on these two.

Anyone out there that can help him?

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

>> 1. I have just brought a Canon S5 IS. What do you think about going from hot mid-day picture (camera) and taking it into a cold car in Thailand April/May as it is pretty hot?<<

Never a good idea for any camera. Either going from a vehicle to the outside heat or from the outside heat to the a/c vehicle. Though the latter is likely to pose less of a problem unless you're planning on shooting from inside the vehicle.

>>Do you have to put the camera in re-sealable plastic bag? << Why? If photographing Songkran festivities or in the rain yes. But otherwise not. Again I ask, why? :D

>>Can you put your camera into the boot (trunk) of your car and will it be better than in the cold air-con of your car after taking picture in the middle of day on a hot day?<<

Yes you can BUT unless you are repeatedly jumping in an out of a very, very cold car and wanting to take photo's immediately then it shouldn't be a major problem. The condensation is more apparent in longer focal length lenses and the viewfinder. It used to sometimes form on film as well but that was if the car was very, very cold.

Professional snappers they wouldn't normally have a vehicle that cold as the risk of leaping out of the car and collapsing like a bag of s**t from the effects of extreme heat meant the camera might end up damaged from the weight of the snapper falling on top of it :o

Fair enough questions though.

There is a discussion on Mack warranties here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archiv...hp/t-26673.html

I had to Google it because I had no idea what you were talking about. Do you seriously think you'll be able to get parts for that camera in five years? Would you still want to be using it in five years?

Personally I think the technology will have changed so much that anything beyond three years is a bonus.

Edited by photojourn

I received the same PM due to having a S5 IS but haven't had the time to respond and also wasn't sure of an answer. My Canon is kept in a thick soft pack camera case and as such has a degree of insulation around the camera minimizing the effects of temperature change. Taking the camera from the heat to the cool AC of a car is less of a problem then the other way. This is due to the AC reducing the humidity in the car and condensation is less likely to happen. But the other way, from a cool, low humidity car to high humidity warm air would be more significant. If planning to do a travel shoot, then just keep the AC down some to minimize the problem.

As for putting it in the boot/trunk , I wouldn't do it. The heat build up in the trunk in the sun could get extreme exceeding the recommended storage temperature of the camera or memory card.

I had to have my old film Canon serviced a few years back.

The seals round the shutter had melted/disintegrated.

Probably due to heat. Quite an expensive job.

Taking the camera from a cool A/C environment out to the heat, or vice versa

it pays to wait a few minutes before shooting as there may be condensation on the lens.

The plastic bag is a good idea during Songkran, but not at other times.

Again there may be condensation.

Several member have recommended plastic storage boxes but do remember bags of crystals to absorb the moisture. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping your camera inside a closed camera bag when your not shooting helps to insulate it from temperature fluctuations such that the transition is more gradual. If you plan to go back and forth, just put the AC on a moderate setting.

Your camera may generally not survive as long in a tropical environment due to the heat and moisture causing corrosion, damaged seals, and literally mildewing/molding inside the body. I don't think extended warranties cover that kind of damage, therefore no point in paying for extended coverage. When in a tropical environment, ALWAYS put those gel packs in your camera bag to prolong the life of your investment.

A plastic bag doesn't help that much, because you have to take it out of the bag to shoot. If you put it into the bag while outside, then go to a cold environment, water will condense inside the bag. Not great. One of those underwater transparent housings might do the trick, but it will still degrade your image quality because the clear plastic isn't perfectly optically pure. You'll see a lowering of contrast in your images.