Info On Phanom Phai

Merangue

Phanom Phai

Has anyone got any info on the above town in Roi et province? I have been told flying into Ubon Ratchathani is without a doubt the better option over Roi Et airport and the prices seem to agree with that.

My TGF lives 16 Kilometres from Phanom Phai and i will be visiting for a few days.

While i am happy to visit her home she has stressed a number of times that it is extremely basic ( enough times to suggest she is a bit embarrassed by her home ) so i am going to try and get a hotel/guesthouse as near to or actually in, phanom phai as i doubt i could handle 'total' basicness for more than the one night. On the other hand she may simply be mistakenly thinking i live in 4 and 5 star luxury all year round.

I do know of one chap who has visited about 10 kilometres from my destination so will be pumping him for information but any info or links for the area would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally if anyone lives in the area and would like to meet for a cold beer and a chat i would be more than up for a meeting. First beer is on me :o

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Phanom Phai

Has anyone got any info on the above town in Roi et province? I have been told flying into Ubon Ratchathani is without a doubt the better option over Roi Et airport and the prices seem to agree with that.

My TGF lives 16 Kilometres from Phanom Phai and i will be visiting for a few days.

While i am happy to visit her home she has stressed a number of times that it is extremely basic ( enough times to suggest she is a bit embarrassed by her home ) so i am going to try and get a hotel/guesthouse as near to or actually in, phanom phai as i doubt i could handle 'total' basicness for more than the one night. On the other hand she may simply be mistakenly thinking i live in 4 and 5 star luxury all year round.

I do know of one chap who has visited about 10 kilometres from my destination so will be pumping him for information but any info or links for the area would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally if anyone lives in the area and would like to meet for a cold beer and a chat i would be more than up for a meeting. First beer is on me :D

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You may consider to stay in Yasothon, as it looks to be "only" 25/30 km(?) from Phanom Phrai.

Especially if you plan to stay in the same room as your tgf,...........a little distance from her village/town, will minimize the gossip since you are not married. :o

You can easily hire transport for visits, and at the same time have some comfort/privacy. :D

Edited by bergen

Indeed you will not find much in Phanom Phrai. Other than sitting by the quite large river, there was not much to do. Yasothon is a pretty nice town. Depending on which side of Phanom Phrai she lives on, Roiet has nearly anything you could want and if she lives towards Roiet, it may be about the same distance as Yasothon.

As a note of interest, Phanom Phrai claims to be the home of the rocket festival (Baan Fai) and that is the major event of the year there. They claim Yasothon stole the festival from them and there are still fights every year as to who actually started the festival.

From what i have been told by another person who has been near to her home the airport at Ubon Rachthani is closer than Roi Et so i am guessing she is 16km southeast of Phanom Phrai. That means Roi Et is not likely to be close enough to be a real option.

Either way thanks for the info. I am thinking a hotel in Yasothon is the best option so far.

There is a Swiss or French guy there in Phanom Phrai that has a resort. I have never had the chance to go there but he told me that it is the only one in the area with a swimming pool.

Worth a try to find him to have a yarn over a beer when visiting the family-in-law.

There is a Swiss or French guy there in Phanom Phrai that has a resort. I have never had the chance to go there but he told me that it is the only one in the area with a swimming pool.

Worth a try to find him to have a yarn over a beer when visiting the family-in-law.

The resort Sawalak has some acomodation maybe suitable for honeymoon :o . The swimming pool is closed until next year.

• 3 weeks later...