Penang Update

Just made a trip to Penang and applied for a new Type O. I had no problems getting a multiple entry Type O with marriage cert, etc. Used the agent at CN Bookstore on Chula St. Very efficient. Visa cost was 550 MYR and his fee 400 MYR.

glad to hear the good news, on that, did you see any tourist visas getting issued or refused or red stamps etc?

cheers

chris

Just made a trip to Penang and applied for a new Type O. I had no problems getting a multiple entry Type O with marriage cert, etc. Used the agent at CN Bookstore on Chula St. Very efficient. Visa cost was 550 MYR and his fee 400 MYR.

I have to get new Non Imm B in June rom Penang. I assume costs will be similar but is this 950 MYR you paid all in, as in included journey to and from and over night stays?

I have to get new Non Imm B in June rom Penang. I assume costs will be similar but is this 950 MYR you paid all in, as in included journey to and from and over night stays?

well dont know for sure, but i would take it as

"Visa cost was 550 MYR"

and

"his fee 400 MYR"

I will be interested in how you go!! I will be visa running again in July.

2 weeks ago I got refussed a 1 yr non B in KL as I was missing a signiture in my work permit from the labor dept saying I could get a 1 yr. I had all the rest of the paper work.

So I was issued a 1 entry 90 day.

Not happy as it seemed the goal posts where changed as I was flying there!

What date do you need to do it by?

I will PM you so I can be updated if it is ok with you.

Cheers

Glad you got it but 400 MYR? For what?

Sorry but can you please elaborate on the "marriage cert, etc.", meaning the "etc.". What else apart from your marriage certificate did yo provide.

Thanks.

Sorry but can you please elaborate on the "marriage cert, etc.", meaning the "etc.". What else apart from your marriage certificate did yo provide.

Thanks.

I took the following:

Marriage cert from the Amphur

Wife's family papers

Deed to my house

Bank statement

Copy of my passport

I am over 50 so probably took too much

The email address for the bookstore is

Phone 04-2622314. Ask for Ali

• 3 months later...
The Consulate is in the suburbs so the taxi fare is just about the same cost as using an agent - where you fill out forms in the comfort of hotel or office.

If I use one of those agents how long do I have to wait till the visa is issued next day or day after or even longer ?

How long did you have to wait till your visa was issued? 2 days or more ?

The application has to be made at the Consulate in the morning and is then picked up after lunch the next working day. Penang are open Monday - Friday excluding Thai and Malaysian national holidays.

Be warned that there is a new Consul at Penang who seems to be very strict. April is the most recent report on this forum of a 1 year non O multiple being issued - you would be well advised to google one of the visa agents and check if you will still be ok there.

Edited by digitalchromakey

The application has to be made at the Consulate in the morning and is then picked up after lunch the next working day. Penang are open Monday - Friday excluding Thai and Malaysian national holidays.

Be warned that there is a new Consul at Penang who seems to be very strict. April is the most recent report on this forum of a 1 year non O multiple being issued - you would be well advised to google one of the visa agents and check if you will still be ok there.

Apart from the cost( which I am not really concerned about) would it not be better to

apply for the visa in person since my wife will be with me and she might be able to answer some

questions(if ask) which the agent will not be able to answer?

Be warned that there is a new Consul at Penang who seems to be very strict.

I understand that the Consul who was more than very strict, ie imposed unreasonable conditions not listed on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, was already booted out some months ago and his replacement applies standard procedures.

--

Maestro