BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
garro

No Licence, And No Insurance

My wife has just had some driving lessons and we have a new car. She wants to get in some practice prior to sitting her test. She is thinking about driving around the area where we live, as it is quite. If by some spot of bad luck she is stopped by the police, what would be the penalty? She has no driving licence as yet and we haven't insured the car due to the long weekend. I would also like to have a go on some of the quite roads. I too have no licence. What would be the penalty if I was likewise caught?

Edited by garro

very strict, a 2 litre, tennants extra super strength and a packet of cigs, and a packet of cheese & onion, & if very lucky only peanuts!

Stopped by the BiB - minor penalty

Kill someone or shunt someones Benz or Beemer (or worse, kill a buffalo) - major issue, could cost millions

Would you consider driving with no insurance in your home country? Of course not! So why is it ok here?

Edited by Crossy

I would never drive a car without a license and insurance. I would never let the wife, who has a few driving lessons drive the car without her license and insurance. She would be very likely to get in an accident.

If she hit someone, or smashed up some car, it could get very expensive without insurance. Just wait a few days and don't be in such a hurry. You will have plenty of time to drive the car later.

Kill someone or shunt someones Benz or Beemer (or worse, kill a buffalo) - major issue, could cost millions

Would you consider driving with no insurance in your home country? Of course not! So why is it ok here?

The thing about asking questions on TV is that you always get somebody providing this type of comment.

Yes I would consider driving without insurance in my home country. It is actually quite common for learner drivers to practice around on the roads, near where they live, despite not having insurance.

From an insurance (and legal) perspective, we would have to agree with Crossey – please do not drive until she has a license as it is illegal.

May we suggest she takes proper (?) lessons at a driving school as they are not expensive ?

I let my insurance expire last year, partly because I was busy, mostly because I was lazy. As sod's law dictates a car sideswiped me the night before I was due to got to the insurance broker to renew. Luckily it was a farang so there was no arguement about liability, it was blatantly his fault.

Whilst waiting for his insurance guy to arrive, a passing copper stopped to see what was going on. He did a bit of a double take when checking my tax and insurance stickers, but nothing was said. He was VERY interested to see my license, which was all in order. Insurance man came and took pics, gave me some papers to get the car fixed, and we all went on our way.

Obviously had the accident been my fault it would have been a different story, and also had I not had a license, but the police man really wasn't interested in my insurance.

If you get stopped I am sure it wouldn't be serious, just try not to hit anything :o

Yes I would consider driving without insurance in my home country. It is actually quite common for learner drivers to practice around on the roads, near where they live, despite not having insurance.

Then sir, you are a d@mn fool. But that is only my humble opinion, to which I am entitled :o

Reminds me of when I first moved to live here. I was talking with some "old hands" saying I needed to get myself a Thai Driving License. One of them said "I got one already". He asked, "D'you wanna see it?" As I'd never seen one before I said "Yes". He reached into his back pocket and peeled off a 50Baht note and raised it in the air saying "Here it is!!"

Maybe a different coloured note is required these days. Damned inflation!

From an insurance (and legal) perspective, we would have to agree with Crossey – please do not drive until she has a license as it is illegal.

May we suggest she takes proper (?) lessons at a driving school as they are not expensive ?

I see your point, but the thing is that she has already has lessons and wants to be confident in our car for when she does the test. There are only two driving schools in the area and neither one of them is willing to teach her in our car as they are fully booked up. We have a baby and my wife can only go for lessons when I'm not working, they have no free slots then. The roads near where we live are quite so it is hard to convince her not to do it. I appreciate that if she crashed she would be in big trouble, but I don't think that having a driving licence is going to make her a better driver.

Your liability would seem to increase with the amount of assets you have that could be seized

or have claims put upon. As following the trail of bread crumbs leads back to the farang I

can't see it as an advisable maneuver. Too much risk for what you might get away with. :o

My wife has just had some driving lessons and we have a new car. She wants to get in some practice prior to sitting her test. She is thinking about driving around the area where we live, as it is quite. If by some spot of bad luck she is stopped by the police, what would be the penalty? She has no driving licence as yet and we haven't insured the car due to the long weekend. I would also like to have a go on some of the quite roads. I too have no licence. What would be the penalty if I was likewise caught?

I was with friend the other day when he got stopped. He didn't have any paperwork at all to show the cops - no DL, no ownership papers, nothing. He had to pay a 500 baht fine and I think that was because his tax sticker was outdated.

The thing about asking questions on TV is that you always get somebody providing this type of comment.

Seems to me that you ask a question, you get an answer.

I will reiterate for you - stopped by the police chances are it will be a small 'fine'.

Have an accident & depending on circumstances, the venality of the police & the greed of the 'victim', potentially millions.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear.

and i would wager its against the law in your home country just as its against the law here, just because people do it doesnt make it legal.