Can I Drive My Thai Car Into Cambodia?

RY12

Is it possible for farangs to drive Thai-registered cars (it's not mine, it's my gf's truck) into Cambodia, at Poipet? Do I need an int'l drivers license or will there be a problem with the Thai car having the steering on the opposite side of the car relative to Cambodia? Maybe I should I hire a Thai or Khmer to drive the car just across the border, then go on our way? Will bribes work and be safe do get around regulations if there are any?

Edited by RY12

I've not done this myself - but have read out of interest the adventures of others. I understand that there is a lot of documention that is required and the car's details need to be stamped into your passport (to ensure the car leaves Cambodia when you return). I believe the owner needs to travel with the car or provide some other proof that the trip is with the owner's consent. The next issue is one of insurance, your Thai policy only covers use within Thailand. There is a recent thread talking about driving into Malayasia, I think they paid a daily rate for state insurance at the boarder crossing and also had a sticker placed in the windscreen.

Sorry for little detail but HTH.

Hi RY12

Having experienced the dirt tracks and rusty structures with planks of wood placed on them (Bridges), I would not risk my own vehicle in Cambo. I have had a bit of experience of Off-Roading in Land Rovers and they were the worst driving conditions, I have ever seen.

To be fair, I might have just been unlucky with the area I saw (in a Taxi BTW) but thought Id pass on my findings to you.

GOOD LUCK (you may need it!)

Dave

I've asked this question a few times....and I've yet to get a good post from a single person who's actually done it...in theory you can (ASEAN Treaty) but prctice is a different thing...i've also been reliably informed that you will only get permission to drive in the one province.

THere have been acouple of people who drive into cambodia on the Trat border but I think they might have been in Cambodian cars....

try searching TV for threads.......

The documentation is pretty straight-forward and includes a "Car-passport" (carnet?) from Bkk.

maybe this time we will gewt a posting from someone who hasactually done FIRST HAND.

Any talk of road conditions to me seems irrelevant...that's up to you......I guess 4 wd is a good idea though.

Having crossed over a number of times by motorbike I cannot believe it is impossible.

A number of times I have had issues with the Thai Customs who

have asked me for the "Purple Book" which Thai Cars need.

BTW bikes don't need this, but some customs officers are unaware of this.

Combined with the fact that I have seen Thai registered cars both in Siem Reap & PP -as well as in Laos-

I believe it shouldn't be a problem.

But TiT as a farang it may be a problem - though I cannot see why.

Providing you have both the green & purple books, insurance, visa and multiple copies of the same,

I would have thought you should give it a go.

Purple book available @ Land Transport Office & valid for a year

or the length remaining dependent on your type of visa.

Cambo insurance should be obtained at border crossing.

Apart from the lamentable state of some of Cambo's roads

driving can be an "interesting" no to say hair-raising experience - particularly PP.

from the GT Rider site:

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-laos-cambodia-border-crossings.htm

Thailand / Cambodia there are six legal land border crossings:

1. Aranyaprathet (T) / Poipet ©

2. Hat Lek (T) / Pak Khlong - Koh Kong ©

3. Kap Cheong, Surin (T) / O Smach ©

4. Chong Sa Ngam (T) / Anlong Veng ©

5. Ban Pagkard. Chantaburi (T) / Phsa Prum, Pailin ©

6. Ban Laem, Chantaburi (T) / Daun Lem, Battambang ©

Use the Aranyaprathet crossing to go to Angkor Wat. In Dec 2001, Honda XL600 rider Harri Saharinen (expat in Korat) sent in this report:" border 1/2 hour, Cambodians wanted a carnet as a Dutch guy had gone thru a few weeks ago with one, but I convinced them that Thai bikes don't need one and they just stamped the back of the Thai export paper, different to the last time when they issued an import paper and even checked the chassis and frame numbers. Poipet to Siem Reap is now 1 1/2 hrs, the road ha been improved greatly, none of the bridges are down, and even an Africa Twin might get thru without any problems. Siem Reap to Phnom Phen is 5 hrs flat out, some sections 120 kph new tar, but mostly crap, better off riding on the side of the road. Korat - PP, 687 kms, 10 hrs."

Use Hat Lek / Koh Kong if you want to hit the beach at Sihanoukvile and have an easy ride onto Phnom Phen.

Use Kap Cheong / Osmach in you're looking for a bit of rough road to start off with in Cambodia.

Use Chong Sa Ngam / Anlong Veng if you want a testing dirt ride down to Angkor Wat.

Go to http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycl...mbodia-f10.html

for the latest info on entering / riding in Cambodia.

Bike specific but you could post a request for further info as it is used by many riders living in Cambo

who will probably have first hand info on 4-wheel crossings.

Good luck and drive carefully out there!

Cheers

Rhodie

Also you can pick up a Thai Int Driver's License at the same time when you get the purple book, if you wish.

I have never been asked for it and I believe a Thai license is accepted - but if you are ever stopped by Cambo cops expect a shake-down,

whatever your legal status.

Edited by Rhodiebkk

Hey thanks Rhodie. so my gf's truck is in her uncle's name out of convenience since she herself didn't get a license (but she paid for the truck). Will the car already have the green and purple book? and if not, where is the Land Transport Office in Bkk? As for my license, I have an American one, are you suggesting I apply and get a Thai Int'l one? Where would I do this and how long would it take? (I may only have a weekend in BKK after touchdown before I have to leave for Cambodia, so I assume nothing's open on the weekend :o ).

If I can't get all of these documents, should I try anyway? I just find it hard to believe that a legitimate looking farang in a decent truck who came all the way to the border would be turned around. Once I'm in, I also find it hard to believe that a local officer, if he spotted me, would have the wherewithal to know the law and/or investigate me further. Yes, I too have seen lighthearted Thai families in Laos on vacations in their cars. Not to mention there is a post somewhere saying farangs can rent self-driven cars in PP.

If I do show up at the border and am denied, anyone know of an efficient way to get the truck back to bkk (hire some Thai to to drive it back to BKK :D )? or are there long-term parking spots at the border that are safe?

The green book is the ownership papers.. she should have that unless its on the drip then it can be with the finance company...

The purple book is a car passport.. thats not issued by default and needs to be obtained.

You cannot get an international Thai permit (not license be warned the IDL is a scam, you need an IDP) unless your a holder of the Thai 5 year license and it takes weeks. You should get an IDP based on your home country license.

I also think your radically under estimating the ease of transit through cambo etc.. These are not easy open borders with free flow of vehicles like in Europe and even N America.

The green book is the ownership papers.. she should have that unless its on the drip then it can be with the finance company...

The purple book is a car passport.. thats not issued by default and needs to be obtained.

You cannot get an international Thai permit (not license be warned the IDL is a scam, you need an IDP) unless your a holder of the Thai 5 year license and it takes weeks. You should get an IDP based on your home country license.

I also think your radically under estimating the ease of transit through cambo etc.. These are not easy open borders with free flow of vehicles like in Europe and even N America.

I would agree..

You should get a US International Driving License for two reasons before you arrive

1. It makes it easier to obtain a Thai one as you do not need to take an actual driving test.

But you will have to pass a rudimentary eye & response test.

The license will then be issued to you or one year.

2. You most probably will be able to drive into Cambo on it - check the list of countries that it is accepted in.

I am unaware that you won't be able to obtain a Thai Int Driving License when you have a regular Thai DL

I obtained one when I converted my one year into a five and also applied & got the same morning the International DL.

But honestly I don't think that the International is relevant in either Cambo or Laos,

as I have shown my regular Thai license in both countries without problems over the license

- they still wanted money.

One important element in obtaining a Thai DL is the need for a Letter of Residency from your BKK embassy.

This letter is essential and normally requires a copy of your Thai lease which your Embassy demands,

as well as copies of your visa & passport.

These Letters of Residency only have a one month's validity.

As the car is not in your name or I suppose the uncle is not travelling with you

- and, if the process is the same as for bikes- the uncle needs to sign a document giving you permission to take the car abroad.

This document and further information on this process is available on GT-Rider.

I would also recommend you posting a request for an update on the Cambo section of the site.

I think that you should be able to cross over using your US Int DL and the correct papers with the uncle's permission etc.

I would not leave nor trust anybody on the border to look after or drive you vehicle back to BKK.

Crossing @ Aranyaprathet is an unpleasant experience, as the Thais always make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Elsewhere both into Laos & Cambo, I have had nothing but help & courtesy from Thai Customs & Immigration.

Providing you have all the correct paperwork -and this is not a simple undertaking in acquiring certainly not over a weekend-

you should be through the Thai side in about 1-2 hours - the Cambo side is not so difficult - say another hour.

Then you have a 4-5 hour rollercoaster hair-raising ride to Siem Reap if that's on your agenda.

I should point out that the rains have already started with a vengeance

and the road conditions in Cambo will be unpleasant - at best.

You might be better off flying and hiring a 4x4 + driver, when you get there.

Best luck

Rhodie

Edited by Rhodiebkk

You cant get a Thai International driving permit on a 1 year license, so I am presuming the OP isnt waiting another year. Thats what

i mean in that he cant get one.

Also I got my licenses including the IDP without a letter from my embassy.. They merely need the free (some places seem to charge 200 baht) letter from immigration.. Work permit holders can use that.

I have read that even when you cross its the vehicle is limited to a close range to the border crossing.. But being cambo most things can be solved with dollar bills..

I should point out that the rains have already started with a vengeance

and the road conditions in Cambo will be unpleasant - at best.

You might be better off flying and hiring a 4x4 + driver, when you get there.

Best luck

Rhodie

Please heed this warning and mine in post number 3. This information may be from (mine is BTW) well travelled seasoned drivers with worldly experience.

At the end of the day, is it worth all the risk and inconvenience? :D There MUST be better ways to ENJOY what a country has to offer!!

If your an Adrenilin junkie, go bungie jumping or scuba-diving, ITS SAFER! I'v done all three options! :o

You cant get a Thai International driving permit on a 1 year license, so I am presuming the OP isnt waiting another year. Thats what

i mean in that he cant get one.

Sure - I only got mine on a whim on renewal from 1-5 years.

Also I got my licenses including the IDP without a letter from my embassy.. They merely need the free (some places seem to charge 200 baht) letter from immigration.. Work permit holders can use that.

This appears to vary in different parts of the country.

In Chiang Mai this was the case until a few months ago, but a biking mucker [also a triumph rider vide your other post] was made to get a letter.

Here in BKK I have always been asked for Letters of Residency on every occassion - from licenses to vehicle registration.

Perhaps in your area it is different - I am told Phuket still may allowing a letter from immigratioon

I have read that even when you cross its the vehicle is limited to a close range to the border crossing.. But being cambo most things can be solved with dollar bills..

Again, I read the same - especially Snoukie - but with the dollar there's a way.

Though in Cambo this price is rising.

Or the dollar is falling :D

Yes Phuket takes letters from immi for both registrations, Thai licenses, and IDP's.. But the IDP applications in phuket still go through Bangkok (I was told all Thai IDP's are issued in Bangkok but dont know if thats true).. The phuket office basically checklists everything for you, makes sure that everything is in the envelope, makes sure your including the postal orders for the right amount of money, but its just a checkling service they pass on.. I think you could post the application to bkk yourself even ??

Also, and this is really trivial and petty, but isnt the Thai IDP a nicely made thing !! My english ones were battle ship grey, but the thai one is all pretty thai style patterning.. Plus the Thai one shows no obvious expiry date :o very handy.. It does if you look really closely on the reverse of the document say valid for one year, but it took me ages to find that and in the document sections its just 'valid from' which is handy for countries where little things slip through.

Thanks for all the posts. I certainlty can't get a Thai driver's license over a weekend, and I don't think I can get an international driver's license here in the States (I'm not even sure what it is actually, a quick google search only revealed private companies handing them out, is it just a translation of your American license into Khmer?). However I think I can instruct my gf to get the purple book, can anyone tell me how to do that in Bangkok?

Anyway, I'm thinking of just having my gf's uncle drive it across the border and then send him back to Bkk, since he of course already has a Thai driver's license. According to this thread...:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thre...sageID=14078088

....it is possible for farangs to rent suv's in PP and self-drive them around the countryside, this company: www.lyna-carrental.com, allows you to do it. Apparently all you have to do is be issued a temporary Cambodian driver's license. Assuming I can get someone to get the truck across the border, would an office in Poipet or Koh Kong issue such a license?

Your post indicates you looked for an international driving license which as I posted is a bit of a scam.. You should get an international driving permit before you come.. Usually issued by AA or similar.

it cant be done !

If not the Thai citizen can drive in to the country im sure not a farang cant either. . .

I have i friend the works for a thai oil company and they are importing oil in to Cambodia and when they come to the boarder stop they most change driver to a Cambodian citizen becuse they are forbiden to drive all the way.

Thanks for the posts, so does anyone know where I would at least get this info? The Cambodian Embassy in BKK?

The police station will be able to help, you need to go with the owner of the car and they give you a seven day passport for the car of course there is a charge. :o

Thanks for the posts, so does anyone know where I would at least get this info? The Cambodian Embassy in BKK?

The police station will be able to help, you need to go with the owner of the car and they give you a seven day passport for the car of course there is a charge. :D

Sorry a forget to had your gf car must be paid for, :o if not you can't take the car out of the country.

Done it loads of times, last time last monday, they no NOT put the vehicles details in your passport, if your girlfriend is with you you will get it in easy with a month visa/entry permit,there are no fees,.if your girlfriend is not with you it is possible but not easy,you will need all sorts of paperwork assuring its ok for you to take ,it,DONT go via poi pet, they are a load of conning scumbags there, go through koh kong, and for another reason, the road to phnom penh from koh kong is the best one ,guaranted, the others could possibly wreck a new truck on a one way trip !

it cant be done !

If not the Thai citizen can drive in to the country im sure not a farang cant either. . .

I have i friend the works for a thai oil company and they are importing oil in to Cambodia and when they come to the boarder stop they most change driver to a Cambodian citizen becuse they are forbiden to drive all the way.

NOT TRUE !

Thanks for all the posts. I certainlty can't get a Thai driver's license over a weekend, and I don't think I can get an international driver's license here in the States (I'm not even sure what it is actually, a quick google search only revealed private companies handing them out, is it just a translation of your American license into Khmer?). However I think I can instruct my gf to get the purple book, can anyone tell me how to do that in Bangkok?

Anyway, I'm thinking of just having my gf's uncle drive it across the border and then send him back to Bkk, since he of course already has a Thai driver's license. According to this thread...:

....it is possible for farangs to rent suv's in PP and self-drive them around the countryside, this company: www.lyna-carrental.com, allows you to do it. Apparently all you have to do is be issued a temporary Cambodian driver's license. Assuming I can get someone to get the truck across the border, would an office in Poipet or Koh Kong issue such a license?

Sorry my friend you are being given a right load of tripe on here, you DO NOT need an international drivers licence to enter cambodia or thailand, ive been crossing into cambodia and laos for 10 years, the last time last monday,however you do need the vehicle in your name to enter with it alone, if its in your girlfriends name and shes with you ,no problem, and another one that made me laugh was " the car must not have money owing on it , or be on finance, ."again ,where they get these ideas from are beyond me,.

Sorry my friend you are being given a right load of tripe on here, you DO NOT need an international drivers licence to enter cambodia or thailand, ive been crossing into cambodia and laos for 10 years, the last time last monday,however you do need the vehicle in your name to enter with it alone, if its in your girlfriends name and shes with you ,no problem, and another one that made me laugh was " the car must not have money owing on it , or be on finance, ."again ,where they get these ideas from are beyond me,.

Sorry what the police in mudkhan told me,as i wanted to take my car to laos.And they said they need to see the car book. :o

Sorry what the police in mudkhan told me,as i wanted to take my car to laos.And they said they need to see the car book. :o

Since you been out of thailand with the car many time can you explain us exactily what do you do, just drive to the border that's it.

Since you been out of thailand with the car many time can you explain us exactily what do you do, just drive to the border that's it.

Yes, the immigration will direct you to customs who will issue you with the permit,as for the book any form of proof of ownership will do, i once left my book at home, i did have the insurance and other papers in my name and was allowed through,.im afraid they ( at some borders ) do try to releive you of money for this and that, such as someone mentioned earlier a permit to go out of the area, when in fact there is no such thing, i just laugh if they try it on and show them my passport with about 25 visa stamps in ( and thats in the last 2 years ) if i were you i wouldnt worry about grtting in as much as getting around, unless you are an adventureous type and a bit of an off roader id say fly there !,.off roading is my hobby, and for me its superb, my uncle on the other hand went from poi pet to phnom penh in a taxi ( read 30 year old van with 35 people in and on it ) and had to go and see a doctor for back problems after being thrown about for 10 hours,. !

post-41326-1210956426_thumb.jpg

post-41326-1210956468_thumb.jpg

mike,

with regards to driving to Cambodia it would be good if you gave a 'step by step' guide as to what documentation you need to

a) cross the border with your car (eg if you need car passports?certificate of temporary export where you got them from....)

:o what paperwork you need to fill in when you get to/depart from Cambodia.

I've driven to Loas, and as you know there is a bit of paperwork to get your car out of Thailand and then into Laos. I've also driven to Malaysia and the requirements there are the total opposite to Laos (ie minimal paperwork.

I've posted here before that I was told by the Thai department of Land Transport that there is no agreement in effect yet with regards to taking Thai vehicles into Cambodia, but your expereince obviously says otherwise.

So a detailed, step by step run down (or at least a link to where you've described the procees before) would be a fantastic help to all the readers here...including yours truely who'd love to do a trip there.

ah ignore the last post!

thanks for the response...(I assume your post relates to both cars and motorbikes though....)

It does,. really, its easy, people seem to make a big hoo haa about this and i have found it the oppisite, there are borders i favour, ban laem is my favourite, the customs immigration there are superb,ive got throught there in 45 mins inc the cambodian side, the road is a bit of an adventure on the cambodian side though, but for me as i said thats why i go,.the easiest /fastest way to phnom penn is without doubt koh kong, i got form phnom penh to pattaya in 9 hours on monday, i was going well and only stopped for fuel, i havent been to laos for a long time, i dont remember it being difficult, i went to pakse and onto cambodia, thats an interesting road/border, the tarmac just ends like they ran out ! then it becomes a dirt track, quite bizzare,.