Can I Drive My Thai Car Into Cambodia?

Or the dollar is falling :D

Yes Phuket takes letters from immi for both registrations, Thai licenses, and IDP's.. But the IDP applications in phuket still go through Bangkok (I was told all Thai IDP's are issued in Bangkok but dont know if thats true).. The phuket office basically checklists everything for you, makes sure that everything is in the envelope, makes sure your including the postal orders for the right amount of money, but its just a checkling service they pass on.. I think you could post the application to bkk yourself even ??

Also, and this is really trivial and petty, but isnt the Thai IDP a nicely made thing !! My english ones were battle ship grey, but the thai one is all pretty thai style patterning.. Plus the Thai one shows no obvious expiry date :o very handy.. It does if you look really closely on the reverse of the document say valid for one year, but it took me ages to find that and in the document sections its just 'valid from' which is handy for countries where little things slip through.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the posts. I certainlty can't get a Thai driver's license over a weekend, and I don't think I can get an international driver's license here in the States (I'm not even sure what it is actually, a quick google search only revealed private companies handing them out, is it just a translation of your American license into Khmer?). However I think I can instruct my gf to get the purple book, can anyone tell me how to do that in Bangkok?

Anyway, I'm thinking of just having my gf's uncle drive it across the border and then send him back to Bkk, since he of course already has a Thai driver's license. According to this thread...:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thre...sageID=14078088

....it is possible for farangs to rent suv's in PP and self-drive them around the countryside, this company: www.lyna-carrental.com, allows you to do it. Apparently all you have to do is be issued a temporary Cambodian driver's license. Assuming I can get someone to get the truck across the border, would an office in Poipet or Koh Kong issue such a license?

Your post indicates you looked for an international driving license which as I posted is a bit of a scam.. You should get an international driving permit before you come.. Usually issued by AA or similar.

it cant be done !

If not the Thai citizen can drive in to the country im sure not a farang cant either. . .

I have i friend the works for a thai oil company and they are importing oil in to Cambodia and when they come to the boarder stop they most change driver to a Cambodian citizen becuse they are forbiden to drive all the way.

Thanks for the posts, so does anyone know where I would at least get this info? The Cambodian Embassy in BKK?

The police station will be able to help, you need to go with the owner of the car and they give you a seven day passport for the car of course there is a charge. :o

Thanks for the posts, so does anyone know where I would at least get this info? The Cambodian Embassy in BKK?

The police station will be able to help, you need to go with the owner of the car and they give you a seven day passport for the car of course there is a charge. :D

Sorry a forget to had your gf car must be paid for, :o if not you can't take the car out of the country.

Done it loads of times, last time last monday, they no NOT put the vehicles details in your passport, if your girlfriend is with you you will get it in easy with a month visa/entry permit,there are no fees,.if your girlfriend is not with you it is possible but not easy,you will need all sorts of paperwork assuring its ok for you to take ,it,DONT go via poi pet, they are a load of conning scumbags there, go through koh kong, and for another reason, the road to phnom penh from koh kong is the best one ,guaranted, the others could possibly wreck a new truck on a one way trip !

it cant be done !

If not the Thai citizen can drive in to the country im sure not a farang cant either. . .

I have i friend the works for a thai oil company and they are importing oil in to Cambodia and when they come to the boarder stop they most change driver to a Cambodian citizen becuse they are forbiden to drive all the way.

NOT TRUE !
Thanks for all the posts. I certainlty can't get a Thai driver's license over a weekend, and I don't think I can get an international driver's license here in the States (I'm not even sure what it is actually, a quick google search only revealed private companies handing them out, is it just a translation of your American license into Khmer?). However I think I can instruct my gf to get the purple book, can anyone tell me how to do that in Bangkok?

Anyway, I'm thinking of just having my gf's uncle drive it across the border and then send him back to Bkk, since he of course already has a Thai driver's license. According to this thread...:

....it is possible for farangs to rent suv's in PP and self-drive them around the countryside, this company: www.lyna-carrental.com, allows you to do it. Apparently all you have to do is be issued a temporary Cambodian driver's license. Assuming I can get someone to get the truck across the border, would an office in Poipet or Koh Kong issue such a license?

Sorry my friend you are being given a right load of tripe on here, you DO NOT need an international drivers licence to enter cambodia or thailand, ive been crossing into cambodia and laos for 10 years, the last time last monday,however you do need the vehicle in your name to enter with it alone, if its in your girlfriends name and shes with you ,no problem, and another one that made me laugh was " the car must not have money owing on it , or be on finance, ."again ,where they get these ideas from are beyond me,.

Sorry my friend you are being given a right load of tripe on here, you DO NOT need an international drivers licence to enter cambodia or thailand, ive been crossing into cambodia and laos for 10 years, the last time last monday,however you do need the vehicle in your name to enter with it alone, if its in your girlfriends name and shes with you ,no problem, and another one that made me laugh was " the car must not have money owing on it , or be on finance, ."again ,where they get these ideas from are beyond me,.

Sorry what the police in mudkhan told me,as i wanted to take my car to laos.And they said they need to see the car book. :o

Sorry what the police in mudkhan told me,as i wanted to take my car to laos.And they said they need to see the car book. :o

Since you been out of thailand with the car many time can you explain us exactily what do you do, just drive to the border that's it.

Since you been out of thailand with the car many time can you explain us exactily what do you do, just drive to the border that's it.

Yes, the immigration will direct you to customs who will issue you with the permit,as for the book any form of proof of ownership will do, i once left my book at home, i did have the insurance and other papers in my name and was allowed through,.im afraid they ( at some borders ) do try to releive you of money for this and that, such as someone mentioned earlier a permit to go out of the area, when in fact there is no such thing, i just laugh if they try it on and show them my passport with about 25 visa stamps in ( and thats in the last 2 years ) if i were you i wouldnt worry about grtting in as much as getting around, unless you are an adventureous type and a bit of an off roader id say fly there !,.off roading is my hobby, and for me its superb, my uncle on the other hand went from poi pet to phnom penh in a taxi ( read 30 year old van with 35 people in and on it ) and had to go and see a doctor for back problems after being thrown about for 10 hours,. !

post-41326-1210956426_thumb.jpg

post-41326-1210956468_thumb.jpg

mike,

with regards to driving to Cambodia it would be good if you gave a 'step by step' guide as to what documentation you need to

a) cross the border with your car (eg if you need car passports?certificate of temporary export where you got them from....)

:o what paperwork you need to fill in when you get to/depart from Cambodia.

I've driven to Loas, and as you know there is a bit of paperwork to get your car out of Thailand and then into Laos. I've also driven to Malaysia and the requirements there are the total opposite to Laos (ie minimal paperwork.

I've posted here before that I was told by the Thai department of Land Transport that there is no agreement in effect yet with regards to taking Thai vehicles into Cambodia, but your expereince obviously says otherwise.

So a detailed, step by step run down (or at least a link to where you've described the procees before) would be a fantastic help to all the readers here...including yours truely who'd love to do a trip there.

ah ignore the last post!

thanks for the response...(I assume your post relates to both cars and motorbikes though....)

It does,. really, its easy, people seem to make a big hoo haa about this and i have found it the oppisite, there are borders i favour, ban laem is my favourite, the customs immigration there are superb,ive got throught there in 45 mins inc the cambodian side, the road is a bit of an adventure on the cambodian side though, but for me as i said thats why i go,.the easiest /fastest way to phnom penn is without doubt koh kong, i got form phnom penh to pattaya in 9 hours on monday, i was going well and only stopped for fuel, i havent been to laos for a long time, i dont remember it being difficult, i went to pakse and onto cambodia, thats an interesting road/border, the tarmac just ends like they ran out ! then it becomes a dirt track, quite bizzare,.