Opinion: Horror To Hasten End For Burma's Evil Rulers

alanmorison

ONLY leaders as black-hearted as the generals who rule Burma could manage, through callous selfishness, to turn a large natural disaster into a catastrophe of mind-boggling proportions.

Today, hungry, homeless Burmese are being asked to go to the polls to vote Yes on No in a tricked-up constitutional referendum.

This faux piece of theatre marks the end of the bleakest week yet in a country where, to many, every week must seem worse than the previous one.

Just seven days ago, Cyclone Nagis began carving a swathe through Burma's rice-growing heartland, generating four-metre waves and devastation on a scale that has not been endured since the tsunami.

In the days since, speculation about the ultimate death toll has leapt, as it did in the aftermath of the tsunami, from large numbers to the figure now being quoted by the United Nations: 100,000 dead.

The Sun and the Daily Telegraph newspapers in Britain, where competitive idiocy is inclined to gazump sensible reporting, are now saying that the toll could reach 500,000.

Indeed, if the generals continue to behave with such disdain for the survival of the populace, that speculation may not in the end seem entirely absurd.

Having failed to warn Burma that the cyclone was coming, the generals are now intent on doing what they do best: saving their own necks.

Even if the people rise up off their knees today to vote No, we know how the result will be portrayed.

This is a country where the junta has a stranglehold on the polling stations and a free media remains choked in the mud.

It will be a referendum vote based on the lessons learned from Mao, Josef Stalin and that modern-day dictator, Robert Mugabe.

The pain of the people will continue to be ignored, just as the Guide Book for Monsters says it must be.

What kind of leaders would stop the world sending aid to people in torment, hundreds of thousands who are now facing hunger and starvation?

The kind of leaders who shoot and torture monks, who build their own capital city in a safer place, and who continue to be tolerated by too many leaders of other nations who should know better.

Thailand's reaction to the tsunami of December 2004 was a model of swift action, compassion and common-sense that other nations could only admire.

It sprang from a caring society where every member of every community has a value (and in adulthood, a real vote.)

Burma may also be essentially Buddhist, but its leaders are bad to the core. The greed for greater riches and a lust to stay in power are what drives the generals.

While Thailand tolerates people of all races and religions, Burma denies citizenship to those who dare to be different and practices ethnic cleansing by driving them from their homeland.

Yet today's pain will kindle tomorrow's anger, as never before.

By refusing to accept international standards of aid and decency to save their own people, the generals are shortening their own lifespans as leaders.

As painful as the agony of Burma is to watch, it's certain now that the winds of change are coming, albeit at a terrible, terrible cost.

I'd always understood the role of the military, at least in my country, to defend their country and its people.

The Burmese military seem to see their role as to attack their country and its people.

I hope this disaster might be the catalyst for change, if not in the hearts of the leadership, at least in those who are the next rung down and waiting to succeed them.

taken from yahoo news just now:

HLEGU, Myanmar - Voting began this city near Yangon and other parts of cyclone-ravaged Mayanmar Saturday on a referendum for a controversial constitution — but the balloting was delayed for two weeks in the hardest hit areas, including the capital.

The disaster that killed or left missing tens of thousands has overshadowed the vote, which even before the May 3 storm was considered by many a foregone conclusion because the rules are skewed in favor of the military junta that has ruled since 1962.

Some 27 million of the country's 57 million people are eligible to vote, although it is unclear how many will have to cast their ballots on May 24 instead.

The new constitution is supposed to be followed in 2010 by a general election. Both votes are elements of a "road map to democracy" drawn up by the junta. The draft constitution guarantees 25 percent of parliamentary seats to the military and allows the president to hand over all power to the military in a state of emergency.

Its rules would also bar Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, the detained leader of the country's pro-democracy movement, from public office. The military refused to honor the results of a 1990 general election won by her National League for Democracy party.

"I haven't read the constitution but the government would not do anything inappropriate or bad for the country," said retired army soldier Nyo Aye, who was voting in the city of Hlegu, 30 miles north of Yangon.

The 65-year-old man said he had voted in support of the draft charter.

Early turnout among Hlegu's 130,000 eligible voters was very light, with people coming to its 119 polls in small groups. There were no long lines at the stations.

Anti-government groups and human rights organizations, which have criticized the charter as designed to perpetuate military rule, have bitterly accused the government of neglecting cyclone victims to advance its political agenda.

There are estimates that more than 1.5 million people have been affected by the cyclone, many of them losing their homes.

"Even as hundreds of thousands of its citizens struggle for basic shelter, food and health care, Myanmar's government has prioritized acceptance of the new constitution, a document that Amnesty International views as an effort to undermine respect for human rights and to entrench military rule and impunity," the London-based human rights group said Friday.

Seven Alliances, a coalition of organizations representing Myanmar ethnic and democracy groups in exile, called on the junta "to suspend the referendum nationwide and allow all international aid into the country immediately."

The junta has so far allowed in only material assistance, but not the large scale presence of foreign relief workers who have capabilities to cope with the disaster that Myanmar lacks.

Groups that led last year's pro-democracy demonstrations also issued protests while carrying on with their campaign urging people to reject the proposed constitution.

"Instead of putting all resources toward saving the lives of the victims, the military is concentrating on legalizing military rule in Burma forever through a sham constitutional referendum," said a joint statement from the All Burma Monks Alliance, the 88 Generation Students and the All Burma Federation of Student Unions.

Burma is the old name for Myanmar and is preferred by its pro-democracy movement.

The groups urged all people opposed to the junta to register their sentiments by putting an "X" on their ballots, signifying a rejection of the draft charter.

The "X" has become symbol of opposition, and has been scrawled and spray-painted in public places in Myanmar's cities. Activists in Yangon are able get away with it under cover of darkness because the cyclone cut power in the city.

Generally, though, the mood among would-be voters is one of confusion and resignation — and at least a touch of cynicism.

Widespread rumors say the results have already been fixed to deliver an 84.6 percent vote in favor of the constitution.

"I cannot be bothered to vote, knowing the outcome of the referendum, which is going to be an overwhelming 'yes,'" said a member of Yangon's Chamber of Commerce who refused to give his name because he was afraid of being called in by the authorities.

Some feel that voting for the constitution may be desirable because the alternative is worse.

"I will vote yes for constitution because the authorities said that if we do not say yes, the military will stay in power for a long time," said a resident of the northeastern city of Taunggyi.

In Yangon, indifference to the vote is common.

"That is the least of my concerns. I wake up every morning planning where to get water, and when to start queuing for gasoline," said Nyi Nyi, a 45-year-old office worker.

Khin Maung Than, a 45-year-old pedicab driver whose house and vehicle were crushed by a tree in the storm, said he was "preoccupied trying to put my life back together."

"My family is now staying at the monastery. I have no means to repair the house. And I have no means to earn a living as well. And I don't know how to feed my family of three young children," he said.