Aussie Brawl Sparks Concern About Cheap Phuket Travel

alanmorison

Binge drinking and brawling by Australians creates an atmosphere of menace that scares other tourists and points to a growing problem associated with cheap package visitors.

A WILD, fist-swinging brawl involving a group of Australians holidaying in Patong has raised concern that cheap package tours are bringing the wrong kind of tourists to Phuket.

The brawl involved between four and six burly men who could not be controlled by local Thai security staff, and who apparently enjoyed fighting each other.

Three Thais were king-hit by the Australians as they fought each other. The bannister of a staircase and large decorative pots were wrecked during the fighting.

The ''battle of Patong'' took place in the early hours of Anzac Day, a solemn holiday when Australians and New Zealanders remember those who have fought and died in world wars, Korea, Vietnam and other combat zones.

-- read the full report at phuketwan.com

Trying to stop a brawl like this is like trying to stop Champagne from rushing out after you have shaken it up, and popped the cork. It is coming, regardless of what you do. Volatile situations, like the one in question, are best left to finish themselves. I mean, these guys probably grew up fighting each other, on the football pitch, in their living rooms, at their sisters wedding, who knows where...

I honestly would have thought that the "local Thai security staff" would have just stepped back and started taking wagers, rather than trying to bring the boys down. Foolish if you ask me. From my experience, a fight breaks out, get out of the way. But by all means, don't add fighters. Contain it and let it burn itself out. Thai Security Staff vs. Big Aussie Front Row Scrummers? I wish I could have seen it.

And as for the wrong type of tourist? We are all the wrong type of tourists for this place. I saw a painting in a bar in Pattaya that sums it all up! It was an ATM card, walking hand in hand with a gorgeous Thai Girl.

Passing judgment on a couple 'a blokes having a blast on each other makes me wonder if you are truly concerned about the problem, or are you just pointing fingers. All the problems on the island and you choose BIG MEN WHO LOVE TO FIGHT EACH OTHER to single out. I say, let them fight, because I seriously doubt you're going to stop it.

You want to stop something, STOP THE TAILORS!!!!! That brings worse. Leave the Aussie’s alone.

Todd Does NOT condone this sort of behavior, but Todd would definitely clear away, and Todd would watch!

:D Sir Furr , You are a funny one mate. That is hilarious. I am sure all p!ss takers will agree that you are the best.

Sounds like you have been standing too close to your equipment. I would love to meet up and buy a couple of rounds. You sound like a really funny guy. I don't have too many friends here, but you sound like a real hoot.

PM me if you ever want to go out for a p!ss. Got a few friends in the same business as you. You probably know a few of them.

Dowt is Thai for Fart. Todd is Thai for "Man Hanging from Tree using no hands" :D .

Keep em' coming mate. You crack me up.

Todd has asked Todd not to refer to Todd in the Todd. :o

I don't understand the sheep thing, but then again, I don't understand half of what Aussie's are saying anyway.

The topic was "Aussie Brawl Sparks Concern About Cheap Phuket Travel". Sparks... This is one of those Media terms that is used to actually Spark, rather than actually discussing the spark.

Like in America..."We don't know when, we don't know where, but something

bad IS going to happen!!"...Ronald Dumbsfeld, SecDef

Alan, unless you are a reporter, talk from your heart, don't spark the concern yourself. Did you see the fight? Or was it second hand testimony. I think it is biased to say that Aussies are in fact cheap tourists and are the ones causing trouble. IMHO, you are causing more trouble than they are. So they were fighting, on a day that makes them sad, so what? I have to say, I have been in quite a few fights in my time, but when it's over, I always feel a bond with the other guy. Fighting is healthy. Would you rather they all started hugging and making out?

I think it is time to question your place in all this. If you are so concerned with Aussies being cheap, or Aussies fighting, writing what you have written here is not the way to solve it. I think you are merely trying to coax (sorry, SPARK) others into feeling the same way you do. In actuallity, you should go and ask the brawlers their thoughts. Be sure and tell them you are sparking awareness about them and their behavior.

If it seems that I am shooting down your thread, I am not. Everyone has the right to post (within forum rules) whatever they want. But sparking concern, or leading a cause...

I think this post is biased, and should be closed.

Hey Sir Burr, I hang out in Rawai and my favorite spot is Candy Bar across from the Sea Shell Museum. The Late Black Jack loved that place and turned me onto it. They keep a running tab for Jack over there. Man I really miss him.

RIP Jack. RIP :o

Alan, unless you are a reporter, talk from your heart, don't spark the concern yourself. Did you see the fight? Or was it second hand testimony. I think it is biased to say that Aussies are in fact cheap tourists and are the ones causing trouble. IMHO, you are causing more trouble than they are.

Yes, I am a reporter (see phuketwan.com)and therefore heartless. But that means I am also licenced by trade to use the word 'sparks' to ignite your interest. I am also an Australian and totally ashamed by the behavior of these wandering thugs. Let them break up their own homes, at home in Sydney.

Alan, I read your paper, and found it very insightful. Keep up the good work. I enjoyed it.

A few things caught my eye. "Official figures show Australians topped the list of overseas visitors to Phuket in 2007 (345,641 up 31 percent) followed by Britons (282,309 up 34 percent) and Swedes (228,746 up 6.3 percent).

Then came Korea, Germany and China. Russians provided a surge, up 40.7 percent to 122,419."

Wow. I don't think I have ever been so happy as to see America not listed. But then again, most Americans probably think Burma is a little city in Thailand, on the continent of Phuket. But we ALL know where Kabul is!!!!

The other thing was about Resorts going hunting for staff. When you think of the money being invested in Phuket, and the lack of the "proper" tourists, I think the trouble is only beginning. These resorts need to fill rooms, by whatever means they can. Offering cheap deals will bring in people, but what types of people.

I can say that when I travel, I look for a particular NAME of hotel, not the cheapest deal. I remember coming here once for a vacation right after the Tsunami, and the Hilton Phuket was $35.00 USD for a superior seaview room.

Deals like this can only drive out the regular guests, and bring in guests who wouldn't normally be able to afford such a nice place.

Desperation brings with it, consequences. This, I feel, is just one of many more to come.

The reson for the Thai security involvement probably arises from the collateral damage the aussies were causing. When Thai's don't do anything they get slammed as senseless uncaring blah blah blah. When they try to do something they get slammed as fools. No win situation eh?

Aussies are rough around the edges and talk a blue streak, but overall they're harmless and don't bully people like the yobs from the Continent. It's really hard to get to worked up against even the loudest brawlers because they always are doing it with a grin. I'd rather a planeload of barefoot beer swillers like them because they make for adventure and fun. Nor are they cheapies - they spend, and will always buy someone a beer and lend a helping hand. They cannot be compared to the sphincter challenged euro trash that look like they are right out off the killing fields of the Balkans or running from the taxman in West Armpit-Upon-the Thames or some town in Austria where they hold people in cellars decorated with S&M motifs.

We need an Australian appreciation festival, but with emphasis on attracting Aussie girls, not the guys. The Aussie girls are alot more fun to drink with when they go wild. No one can resist their seductive charms. I say they should subsidize trips for the girls and bring lots of them over, especially the ones that run along the beach doing cartwheels and the like :o One day I hope to be set upon by a gang of crazed australian girls that ravish me.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't understand the sheep thing,

post-16137-1211813414_thumb.jpg

As per the OP though, if this is a regular occurrence, then perhaps the "cheap package tours" might be partly to blame. However, it would seem that this kind of activity isn't solely the domain of the lads from Down Under.

On the other side of the puddle known as the Gulf of Siam, we have (on occasion) incidents involving fine, upstanding citizens of various countries. :o

There have been numerous references over the years to the (hooligans, lager-louts and various other terms) that have exhibited behaviour many would not consider appropriate or acceptable (and this in Pattaya of all places !).

I'm sure the proportional representation of Aussies in relation to other species/races/ethnicities is a contributing factor to the number of incidents that seem to involve said representatives. If Australian tourists were the 6th largest demographic, and Italians the largest, it is quite likely that people would soon have the impression that the descendants of Caesar are the primary cause of most of the problems one sees and hears about on a regular basis.

The title and wording of the article in question is obviously designed to attract attention. After all, what good is an article that no one reads ?

Journalism 101. "If it bleeds, it leads"

(Journalism 102. "If it doesn't bleed, make it sound like it does. Then see Journalism 101.) :D

• 2 months later...

Simple solution is Thai prison for a couple weeks. THere is nothing like coming to reality then spending some time in the Bangkok Hilton. It will also teach them to not cause trouble when they are not in their own backyard.

Ohh yea. Great Idea. You should be in charge. Oh man, Hilton... Good Idea....

send them to that notorious place, for fighting, each other, and what about the people who come here and commit much bigger offences...

stop sitting so close to the television.

todd

Maybe redirect them to the Greek islands where they can battle it out with the British yobs (referring to BBC new article yesterday if anyone saw it).

Actually if I had to choose between the Brits and the Aussies I would take the Aussies. Generally a nicer bunch, if you have to be with the heavy drinking crowd.

I don't understand the sheep thing, but then again, I don't understand half of what Aussie's are saying anyway.

The topic was "Aussie Brawl Sparks Concern About Cheap Phuket Travel". Sparks... This is one of those Media terms that is used to actually Spark, rather than actually discussing the spark.

Like in America..."We don't know when, we don't know where, but something

bad IS going to happen!!"...Ronald Dumbsfeld, SecDef

Alan, unless you are a reporter, talk from your heart, don't spark the concern yourself. Did you see the fight? Or was it second hand testimony. I think it is biased to say that Aussies are in fact cheap tourists and are the ones causing trouble. IMHO, you are causing more trouble than they are. So they were fighting, on a day that makes them sad, so what? I have to say, I have been in quite a few fights in my time, but when it's over, I always feel a bond with the other guy. Fighting is healthy. Would you rather they all started hugging and making out?

I think it is time to question your place in all this. If you are so concerned with Aussies being cheap, or Aussies fighting, writing what you have written here is not the way to solve it. I think you are merely trying to coax (sorry, SPARK) others into feeling the same way you do. In actuallity, you should go and ask the brawlers their thoughts. Be sure and tell them you are sparking awareness about them and their behavior.

If it seems that I am shooting down your thread, I am not. Everyone has the right to post (within forum rules) whatever they want. But sparking concern, or leading a cause...

I think this post is biased, and should be closed.

Hey Sir Burr, I hang out in Rawai and my favorite spot is Candy Bar across from the Sea Shell Museum. The Late Black Jack loved that place and turned me onto it. They keep a running tab for Jack over there. Man I really miss him.

RIP Jack. RIP :o

Hi,

It may be biased but it makes a change from slagging off the brits, personally I think its more to do with folk being on holiday and drinking all day than where they come from, still shame " the Don(k) wasnt there to lay down the law :D

roy gsd