Language Training Software

garyinthailand

I just bought Becker's 'Thai for Beginners' software, and I'm finding it reasonably useful although with some limitations and a few bugs.

A company in US called Rosetta Stone (http://www.rosettastone.com/) is heavily promoting an elaborate language training program. The Level 1 for Thai is priced at US $195. As far as I know, there's nowhere to buy it in LOS. They have an online version, but I think it's useless without broadband which I don't have. Maybe useless with, I don't know.

I think training software has potential, but I hate to spend money at that level (Becker was 1200B) without knowing if the product is worthwhile. The publicity claims are rather over the top too. I'm doubtful any program can really teach a language, as opposed to assisting with memorization.

Does anybody have experience with this program? Or for that matter, with any other software that might help leverage my efforts? Thanks in advance.

Rosetta Stone, THAI LEVEL I, is the best interactive courseware on the market anywhere! (I've tried them all!) Having said that, I still recommend that you buy every interactive product you can find anyway (if you can afford it!)

There is a home-schooling edition which is somewhat less expensive than the full price retail version.

"Courage" is very good, too!