Growing Cassava In Thailand

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All

Not looked at this thread for a while, lots of useful information thanks.

Here in central Lopburi farmers have just started to harvest their crop ,to -night drove past one of the biggest buyers of cassava in the area ,he had a board up ,buying fresh roots at 1.75 Bart/ kg .he had a good few ton in.

At that price ,not a lot to be made ,1.75Bart/kg now ,what will it be next February ,afterwards I was talking to a grower ,he has about 50 Rie ,he said low price due to imports coming into Thailand at a low price ?, I think the jury is out on this one .I would say due more to low gasohol prices ,also this buyer has a small feed mill producing cattle feed ,so they will be happy at the low price .

Something said for chopping and drying cassava ,as has been said if you have the space ,a few farmers do it round here they all use disc cutters ,made by local engineering firms .

I not count on Rai and tons. I count on kg and qm.

This is now my second year with the cassava and where i live i sould think befor for what i plant the cassava. I planting for starch or for the chips?

The starch in my cassava is very low because i put only the pig poo on it. This give me big stem and a lot of leaf. The weight from the tubers are ok. Average about 5 kg each. BUT, the starch is very low. So the starch company pay me only 1,7 or 1.8 bath/kg.

If i bring the to the chipmaker. There pay me 1.9 Bath.

In the starchfabrik there pay 2.65 Bath for Tubers with 30% starch.

Now is the question what is easier. Planting for starch or planting for the weight?

And which sort give me heavy tubers or which sort give me a lot of starch.

Or maybe to plant the cassava to harvest the leaf? With the pig poo and water the leaf grow like hell. And the leaf have under 30 % Protein.

Edited by Allgeier

This is now my new planted cassava. I coverd with straw and skin from cassava. And also a dropping line.

post-147638-0-93125900-1451043561_thumb.

This is one a couple of month ago. Also on a dropping line but no waste water from the pig. At this time i can good see that the leaf not grow. Without of water from the pigstall i think i cant haverst cassava leaf.

post-147638-0-46980300-1451043791_thumb.

The tubers are not so bad. But very less starch.

post-147638-0-67255200-1451043845_thumb.

Here are some another cassava. There call this "5 minutes cassava". There use this to make some sweet thinks. Our neighbor take it out every couple of days and she pay me 10 bath/kg.

I will plant this one again.

post-147638-0-96392900-1451044044_thumb.

Here is another try:

How to put the cassava leaf inside a feed recept. Cuting and drying. I feed now to my sow every day and i cant see somethink bad.

On the left side is washed cassva skin from the cassava fabrik. Also for drying and to put inside a feed recept.

post-147638-0-54200700-1451044492_thumb.
But to collect the leaf, cutting and drying take a lot of time. Not easy when i am alone.
  • Like 1

Hi,

i have about 15 rai of cassava now 13 month old. As the Price is not good now(1,70 Baht), i think about not take it out now, but wait until June/July next year.(Do the factories buy cassava in this month?)

Will it still grow bigger or does it get "too old".?

Hi,

i have about 15 rai of cassava now 13 month old. As the Price is not good now(1,70 Baht), i think about not take it out now, but wait until June/July next year.(Do the factories buy cassava in this month?)

Will it still grow bigger or does it get "too old".?

Everywhere i ask there told me about 11 month for the cassava. And you make 13 + 6 = 19 month. Maybe depense on the sort it's good or not.

This 1.70 bath is for Starch or for Chips? The Chipmaker close the whole rainsaison where i live. And in our case, I would ask the factorie when there close.

But if the Starchfactorie pay you only 1,70 Bath.Can i ask you what is the reason why its so less starch inside your tubers.

Hi Allgäuer,

thank you for your answer.

The smaller factories here pay all nearly the same Price for tubbers(1,70)(Last month 1,80)

Dont know for sure if they check for starch .

I dont know if its better to wait another few month for harvesting, maybe without rain the tubbers dry out and may lose weight.

Really not sure what to do, but i will bring some to the factory next week and ask.

Edited by goldfinger

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the factory today with some samples of my saparang.they say its starch is 25 % and want pay 1700 per 1ton.

As i have not found people which have time to come, i think i will give it to a guy which will take it out and deliver it on his own and he takes 600 per 1 ton.

• Like 1

Went to the factory today with some samples of my saparang.they say its starch is 25 % and want pay 1700 per 1ton.

As i have not found people which have time to come, i think i will give it to a guy which will take it out and deliver it on his own and he takes 600 per 1 ton.

I don't know where you live but here in Chayapoum the price for tubours is 2.25 lessthe rip off 10% for dirt = just over 2 Baht. Everyone is moaning this is very low and explain it saying the chinese no longer want to buy Thai cassava.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today the Price in Phon Thong/ Roi Et.

30% = 2.30 Bath

20% = 1.90 Bath

What do you mean by 30% and 20%? Is that moisture content? I would have thought the lower the moisture content, the higher the price.

The content of starch insite the tubers.

I have two places to sell my tubers here. One queck the starch and another one not queck. My Tubers are low on Starch, so i sell them to this shop who not queck the starch. The price was there 20 Satang better than on the Fabrik.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm looking for huge amount of cassava, which need to cut slice and dried. Please kindly contact me, <<<< Phone number and other contacts removed, please use PM function to contact>>>>. 

Edited by metisdead
18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures.

• 1 year later...

Good morning network, I have joined this forum as a means of reaching out to the cassava industry, in hope of getting in contact with growers for an upcoming greenfield project in Nigeria, growing commercial cassava.

The initial plot will start at 1500ha, and is an opportunity to work with a billion-dollar international business.

Please let me know if you would be interested in discussing this opportunity further.

Many thanks, and have a great weekend.

Sean

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...

Hi. I'm not from Nigeria but am interested in cassava production. Am interested where people sell their crops- to a roadside agent or independently- whether you have any trouble selling, how much you can produce per rai/hectare and what the roadside price is? I realize most of you would sell to the roadside agents so can't offer much in exchange except for thanks for going to the bother replying. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 8 months later...
On 2/1/2019 at 8:32 PM, FarmingJobMan said:

Good morning network, I have joined this forum as a means of reaching out to the cassava industry, in hope of getting in contact with growers for an upcoming greenfield project in Nigeria, growing commercial cassava.

The initial plot will start at 1500ha, and is an opportunity to work with a billion-dollar international business.

Please let me know if you would be interested in discussing this opportunity further.

Many thanks, and have a great weekend.

Sean

OK, Billion dollar business good stuff ????  contact me, if you need to source organic high performance fertilizers or want a nontoxic organic weed control specially formulated for cassava. you don't have to spend billions on it. 

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Can anyone give me a breakdown on costings, and profit, of cassava farming per year please. Cost of land does not needed to be included. I'm a firm believer in that cassava is not as profitable as some, especially Thai women, make out.

I'm actually making this enquiry on behalf of a farang who raised the question with me. Thanks.

Thank you 'Kickstart' you couldn't have wrote better. It's as per what I thought regarding the current price. Due to the the current growing conditions and climate the harvested crop is relatively high priced which is to be expected. This is what spurred the question. Will it remain profitable.

As per the Thai way. Due to the price being high many farmers will now start growing cassava causing over production causing a crash in the market as we've seen with other crops ie mushrooms, rubber, sugarcane etc etc. The cassava crop may be a good price now but nobody is harvesting due to no rain. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Thank you 'Kickstart' you couldn't have wrote better. It's as per what I thought regarding the current price. Due to the the current growing conditions and climate the harvested crop is relatively high priced which is to be expected. This is what spurred the question. Will it remain profitable.

As per the Thai way. Due to the price being high many farmers will now start growing cassava causing over production causing a crash in the market as we've seen with other crops ie mushrooms, rubber, sugarcane etc etc. The cassava crop may be a good price now but nobody is harvesting due to no rain. 

At this time harvest is about done for this year, they need the dry weather to get the veicals and tractors in to the field, and to lift the tubers.

As I said they is a shortage in the market hence the high price.

Will it be profitable in the future I would say yes, it is like sugar cane, this year price for that has been  good ,a lot goes for ethanol alcohol, with the world curd oil price being volatile anything that can be produced in country must be a good thing.

We have 2 factory's in this area that make cassava flour a lot goes they, and near me they are building a factory abet a small one, that will make syrup from cassava for the food industry, a ready market they 

That price up to last month of 2.40 baht/kg has been the same for the past 2 years, you could budget on that price this present high price will not last.

Of cause the big X factor is the weather last year it was very favorable for all crops, 3 years was a drought a lot of cassava was planted then died drought, and had to be replanted, then finding stems hard and very expensive not a lot of money was made that year, and 2 years ago was not so good not a lot of rain but most farmers did ok ,but some light land grower struggled to make much money.

• Thanks 1