Hotel Chiang Rai

Pitu277

Havnt been up to the Rai for quite a few years but used to stay in the "Boom bun dan" just round the corner at the top of Jetyod rd. which was OK and mai Peng..

Couple of mates had the Golden Bar ..prob. long gone (next to Panda Kara-oke) and BBD was a handy staggering distance. :D

Going back to the time that Ken had the Baitong (in the Square) and Easy Bar was ...easy........and the sun was always shining... :o

Another nice and relatively cheaper place is the Diamond Park Inn, just 5 minutes walk from the Night Bazaar.

Looking for a comfortable and safe place to stay in Chiang Rai which would be close to the nightlife :o where wud u recoommend..Wiang Inn/Dusit or something else..Cheers

Going back to the time that Ken had the Baitong (in the Square) and Easy Bar was ...easy........and the sun was always shining... :o

Ah yes indeed, they were golden early days in CR...

The original Chat House, the Mae Kok Villa, & there was a great pub the Country Saloon / Western Saloon? on the corner of Wiset Wiang & Thanalai, or was it Phahonyothin? <deleted> how time flies.

Baan Bua Guesthouse on Jet Yod (the Bar Street) is a nice, clean and cheap place. It has a very nice and quiet garden where you can have breakfast and talk to other guests.

Popular place and you cannot find a place more central.

:o:D:D

Baan Bua Guesthouse on Jet Yod (the Bar Street) is a nice, clean and cheap place. It has a very nice and quiet garden where you can have breakfast and talk to other guests.

Agreed.

Clean and comfortable and very nicely decorated for such an inexpensive place (around 200 baht). You are almost wasting your money staying anywhere else in a more expensive place.

Wieng Inn and Wangcome are very expensive. I recomend a purple colored hotel call the orchids by the by bus station. it is 450 a night. Or something called Diamond Park or Dimond Inn it is so so near Wieang Inn Hotel. These are cheaper. I live here.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going from Udon to CR w. my wife&daughter by car. Needs at least two stops (Phitsaulok, Nan ?) - may be more. Would like to have a not to eexpensive room with a balcony (for smoking) and a car parking lot. The same need in CR. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I'm going from Udon to CR w. my wife&daughter by car. Needs at least two stops (Phitsaulok, Nan ?) - may be more. Would like to have a not to eexpensive room with a balcony (for smoking) and a car parking lot. The same need in CR. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

P'lok is a good stopover about half way. Turn off (left) just north of Phrae instead of heading for Nan. It's easy to miss that turn .. I know. But maybe the road across the mountains is better nowadays.

Petchabun, although a slight detour, is a pretty good stop before P'lok. Phrae is okay as well.

Thanks.

One stop to easy to Uttaradit, then straight up 11 & 1?

Or one stop, a bit longer to Lampang, then easy to Chiang Rai?

Two stops is pretty slow Id say.

Nan is right out of the way if you're going to CEI from Udon.

Sorry don't know about the smoking balconies.

But in Utt Id stay at the Seeharaj, & in Lampang I use the Pin Hotel.

In CEI my fave hotel is the Nimseeseng. Great little roof top restaurant, but not so great if it's raining), & no smoking balcony. Sorry.

Thanks.

Driving from Issan, Lampang is a detour. Best route for me was always Udorn > Nong Bua Lamphu > Chum Pae > Phitsanulok > Phrae > Ngao > Chiang Rai

Thanks.

Driving from Issan, Lampang is a detour. Best route for me was always Udorn > Nong Bua Lamphu > Chum Pae > Phitsanulok > Phrae > Ngao > Chiang Rai

That's it.

Thanks.

That's it.

Just Google Earth or Map the route and that is pretty much what will come up.

Thanks.

I will go the route mentioned and will try to get to Philok in one day (wife&daughter don't like car travelling). Has anybody stayed at the Amarin Nakorn there? Also - in CR - are the Diamond Inn and Orchids mentioned above suitable for wife&child&car?

Edited by philo

Sounds like you're still unsure.

Old the old airport road, there's a group of hotels close together, one of which should be ok. Might be easier to take a pick from there if you can't decide beforehand.

Check out the map below.

304062174_JDmuN-S.jpg

The hotels are marked in Red.

La Luna, Phiman Inn are up market. Sport Inn starts at 350 baht. Amorn Inn & Sabai Inn should be 1 or 2 hundred more.

The Red Rose "is the Red Rose" a theme hotel, rooms from 500 or 600 baht from memory.

Good luck & enjoy the drive.

Thanks.

I will go the route mentioned and will try to get to Philok in one day (wife&daughter don't like car travelling). Has anybody stayed at the Amarin Nakorn there? Also - in CR - are the Diamond Inn and Orchids mentioned above suitable for wife&child&car?

I think I stayed in the Amarin a couple of times .. downtown near the railway station. It's older, but okay. If you want to go upscale a bit, stay at Topland .. in the big shopping mall (directly across the road from Wat Yai. Last time I stayed there was about 2 years ago .. Bt 950 or thereabouts

In CR, the Diamond is fine, pleasant staff, plenty of parking. Never stayed at Orchids.

Edited by klikster

Agreed.

Clean and comfortable and very nicely decorated for such an inexpensive place (around 200 baht). You are almost wasting your money staying anywhere else in a more expensive place.

Agreed.

You might want to check current prices. Last week it was 350 - 400

I always stay at the Orchid. Clean cool and helpfull. Walking distance to everything. Based purely on objective observation external consultants are free to come as they will. As are the customers. Errr I'm loosing myself in bad puns.

No seriously. it's good. en suite, cable tv, AC, fans. Night guards.

Laundry service (bloody slow, you're better off going outside.)

Free coffee & tea, free internet, but only one station and it's bloody slow. But it's ok.

Friendly people.

End of story

I expect to be staying there in about 3 days time.

Oh, I forgot, between 350 and 450 a night depending on the way the wind blows.

cheery o

Edited by Jandajoy

• 4 weeks later...
I always stay at the Orchid. Clean cool and helpfull. Walking distance to everything. Based purely on objective observation external consultants are free to come as they will. As are the customers. Errr I'm loosing myself in bad puns.

No seriously. it's good. en suite, cable tv, AC, fans. Night guards.

Laundry service (bloody slow, you're better off going outside.)

Free coffee & tea, free internet, but only one station and it's bloody slow. But it's ok.

Friendly people.

End of story

I expect to be staying there in about 3 days time.

Oh, I forgot, between 350 and 450 a night depending on the way the wind blows.

cheery o

I am staying at Orchids now. It is 375 baht a night and the above description is fair.

I have not tried the laundry but it says within 2 hours (not ironed but dried)

It is very convenient quiet and clean. No breakfast options within the GH (heard Baan Bua has but is more expensive)

The Wancombe Hotel down the road is good value IF there is 2 of you AND you eat breakfast (buffet normal price 159 baht) AND you both like a swim and use the gym (walk in rate 200 baht each) AND you have a car to park (free easy guest parking) as their twin bedded rooms go for 1.400 baht a night all in.

Thanks.

Curious, so what did you do / where did you stay?

Any feedback?

• 3 years later...

As a local I never stay in hotels here but often have friends that do.

They seem much the same in town, the better ones like Le Meridien are a few kms out.

The Wang Come, Diamond Park Inn and the Wiang Inn are all central and can be found on the internet with details.