List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

FOOD

OK everyone, i know i promised to do this years ago, but i have finally remembered to go through the forum and get peoples restaurant recommendations and make a list of them. now, some of this information may be REALLY old, and thats where i am counting on you to help me. the restaurants have all come from posts on this forum, and i have no personal interest in any of them. the reviews are not my own.

With so many restaurants in Phuket to choose from, I have just divided them up into location. If some of these establishments are not open any longer, please let me know and I will take them off the list.

PATONG

BYD Lofts. Near the entrance to Andaman Beach Suites. Very modern décor and great food. Run by the same people who used to own Baan Yin Dee. Party nights on Fridays and they have fab accommodation too.

Barbecue Hut on 200 year road. On your way out of town toward Karon/Kata, lefthandside about 150 meters before you make the left toward Karon/Kata. I had some great Mexican food, the guy sitting next to me had a MASSIVE plate of barbecued ribs that looked and smelled great. Also on the menu were some stupendous hamburgers, which I will have next time.

Pan Yaah - its on the road out of Patong along the beach, not far north of the Novotel. Open air dining, I love their crab in the shell, good Thai food.

Tip Top / Andre in Patong

Try the "Sunday Roast Beef" in Molly Malone's, real yorkshires, tasty gravy and original roasted potatoes

Ta be Ta - Sushi bar on Rat U Thit Road - near Christin Massage, excellent tuna

Christin Massage - near Ta be Ta, excellent tuna

The Islander is great for brit food, fish&chips, kidney pie, roast beef, good thai food too, good house wine, very good service, Quiet and relaxing location off bangla rd. moderate prices.

6 and DANG (next to each other) on the main street a few doors up from bangla. Both have exellent thai food and nice service. Noisy place right on the street is the only drawback. good food and prices make it worth it though.

Two Black Sheep on Rat-U-Thit Road just across from Soi Paradise. Good place for music at night, run buy Kiwi Bill a good gent who runs a good ship. No bar girls employed. Full menu of meateater food and real NZ Lamb and Beef. Stocks real Victoria Bitter and presents and honest pour. Good Place and Good people to chat with or watch some sports. Open 10am to 2 am. Good feed for breakfast!

Sam's steakhouse at the holiday inn

Todai (end of Beach Rd, Patong) - Fab sushi, better than Zen, and cheaper, cute little booths for privacy, offer on wine at mo 580 for very decent bottle of red.

Islander (Bangla, Patong) - What can I say, Brit food just the way I like it

Palm Tree (behind Lenny's Steak house, Nanai, Patong) best brekkie 99 bht! Tea, OJ, toast, proper sausage All you can eat B-B-Q every friday 150 !! 99 bht special offers through low (green) season

Dubai ( Rat-U-Thit, Patong) - No 2 rest better than No1. Really great hummous and flat bread.

La Boucherie ( Sawadirak, Patong) - THE Best steak I ever tasted here! 490bht

Cooked to perfection, proper salad, and whatever pots you fancy! Yum

Pan Yaah (just past Ban Rim Paa) - great cheap Thai food, especially garlic mussles. And what a view

You could also try the Danish restaurant Runde Taarn just off Soi Bangle in Soi Patong Resort, good Danish food and Thai

Sharkys bar in Patong, the sandwiches are very tasty there.

They have a pretty good pizza at P Bar (on Nanai). Some special sauce. And REAL pepperoni. Great for hangovers.

Papa Joe's. Their pizza is GREAT. By any standard. Located on Rat-U-Thit behind Charoen Optical, about 200 ms from Bangla towards Soinamien. Not much of a venue, but... yummy. Try the Italian sausage w/bell peppers.

The Roadhouse which is on the hill to Karon if you coming from Patong. Its on the left side, still before Simon's caberet. Its run by a south african couple. A large 300 gram new zealand steak for 150TH. Baby back ribs, burgers, etc all very cheap. Chang beer bottle 40 BTH. They also have pool and darts. The food was great as well as the staff. You should really check it out.

CHALONG:

The Belgian Bakery

Opposite Wat Chalong. Yum. Lots of westerners there on saturday mornings and wonderful cakes and bread. More expensive than other places on the island but you get what you pay for!

The Family Resturant

Greek/Mediterianian food, Some Thai food, inexpensive, good food and has a take-away service. On the same road after the post office on the left hand side (direction Rawai)

The Green Man

Good pub food at OK prices.

Don's Cafe in Rawai – one of our forum sponsors.

Bagels & Beyond

Good snack food, bagels and burritos, no Thai food, not cheap, just down from Sea Bees diving.

Somtam & Sandwiches

English cafe style resturant, good food both falang and thai, friendly staff and reasonably cheap, on the rawai road, next to Loma

Swiss Delight

Swiss food, always excellent quality, good pasta and snitzels, not too cheap, on the connection road between the two chaofar roads

Sanook

German style food, huge portions, good quality, not too expensive, just past "Land & House" housing estate on the right (resturant looks like a boat)

Flintstones Bakery

Good snack food, Pizzas are ok, the breads never fresh (always seems like yesterdays bread to me), inexpensive, opposite "mikes Bikes" rentals.

Fish & Chip Shop

Good copy of english fish and chips, they used to deliver (dont know if they still do), not expensive, just down from "Bagels & Beyond", next to the bar called Nok inn shop

Kaneang 1

Good thai food, cheap as chips, nice views, Right down near the peir.

Yacht Haven Restaurant, up in the yacht haven obviously - great food, great bar, open dining on the deck overlooking the marina. Call SEAL for details I think their number is 076 340406, definitely somewhere to take friends from out of town to impress - but take a driver so you can enjoy the drinks.

Chicken and duck rice/ noodles next to SCB (Chaofa/ Phuket Town road)

Fish N Chips (on the road towards the pier)

Tamarind's bar (facing Chalong bay)

La Cabana (on the road towards Rawai - left side)

Restaurant on the left, half way between Chalong Circle and the pier. Just after The Siam Real Estate and the deep sea fishing building. Part of the Parlai family. Good prices, big portions, tasty (try the fish in pepper sauce). Cheap beer, too.

RAWAI:

Pizzaria Restorante

Excellent Italian food, fantastic pizzas, not expensive, just on the beach road.

Salaloy Seafood (next to Nikitas)

The stone chairs/tables that are right on the beach road in rawai, sorry cant remember the name of the palce, great seafood/thai food, inexpensive and a nice setting (as long as you dont mind stone chairs!)

Mimi's Restaurant

Don's café

Italian Restarant (Beach Street) (closed up to 18. August)

KATA:

Anchor bar & Resturant

English pub/resturant, good food, inexpensive, good portions but presentation lacks sometimes, opposite "Lucky's" guest house, near the kata pharmacy

Kwong Shop,

Great seafood place, not expensive, the guy who runs the place is a right laugh, Thai food mainly, near Kata pharmacy.

Ratri Jazztaurant

Great views and worth the 100 step climb. Start with cocktails on the deck to see the sunset, and move ‘inside’ for dinner and fabulous jazz music.

Food court at Big C

Japanese Restaurant in Big C - cant remember the name

Italian restaurant near Robinson - forgot the name but you need a reservation

Mon Tris Kitchen in Kata - best service and food I have ever had in Phuket!

Two Chefs in Kata - great affordable food.

La Gondola in Kata. For me, the best pizzas on Phuket, and at very reasonable prices, too. As good as the best pizzas in Bangkok.

Check out "The Tube" bar in Kata Beach they have a great 150 baht BBQ buffet on Frday nights at 7.30. A surfer from Sweden named Mike, and his lovely wife and kids host the evening, surf movies are shown and expect an expat bunch of surfers,sailors, and other

cool folks Its on Khok Tanod rd..

KARON

Karon Café has terrific steaks, nice salad bar, decent house wine and excellent service. Moderate prices.

For a different experience, has anyone been to the wooden bar/restaurant (I think it's called the Reggae Bar or similar) built into the hillside on the west coast coming north from the Cape (complicated enough, or what)? It's decked out with Bob Marley/cannabis/Jamaican flags and banners, plays reggae music and you can often find the waiters sitting about playing reggae on their guitars. Watch the sunset from there - its well worth it.

PHUKET TOWN/KATHU

Karna Sutra in Phuket Town - Indian food - very nice decor and food. Kama Sutra: In PPhuket town go down Ratsada Rd with the banks on the left, toward the clock circle / fountain and the Talaad Sod. Before the circle turn left. Mikes and the Kama Sutra are on your right about 50mtrs up.

Thamachat (Thai Cusine)

Mike's Bar / Restaurant

Da Jam near Robinsons (ex-Gitano)

La Cabane

Phuket City Hotel lunch buffet.

Metopole Hotel in Phuket Town has an all you can eat international buffet for around 200 baht. The food is great.

Pizzaman Pizza. Used to be in the Tango bar near the Aliance Francais in Town but now moved around the corner to opposite the Kajonket school. Great pork red curry and chicken green curry flavoured pizza - I'm not kidding - they are the proverbial dogs b***cks. Their other food is also great and all at Thai prices. The guy used to be a cook at The Meridien.

Steak Samkong restaurant, near Lotus. The owner is a well-traveled Thai and speaks good English; international menu and just plain gooooood and cheap!

The Royal Nam Tok in Kathu.

On the road to kathu water fall. Run by ywo Belgium guys. Maybe a little bit expensive but excellent service and food. ( lot of food which you normally only find in Holland or Belgium )

Looks like you sit in an european house restaurant. The restaurant building is also there house so you sit next to the swimming pool.

NAI HARN

Nok Yoong (somewhere in the bendy Nai Harn Road)

Oasis BBQ chicken (before Soi Cokmakham)

Lorenzo's in Nai Harn (At the main entrance to the Royal Meridian Yatch Club) Great pizza, great other items too, also great music, although a touch expensive compared to maggies, worth it for the location.

The best Pizza in Thailand is to be had on NaiHarn beach. Owned and operated by an expat Italian guy who learnt from a master Pizza maker in Italy before he moved to Thailand to be with his Thai wife. Called Lorenzo's - looks very downmarket shack in amongst the other restaurants / shops but it really is the bet Pizza. Cooked in authentic stone oven (built himself). Has a tree in the middle going through the roof. Open everday / evening during the season. A bit hit and mis off season

SURIN BEACH/LAGUNA

TWO BROTHERS restaurant right on Surin Beach. Run by a great guy named Bow as in Ow!

"The bakery" at Canal Village in Laguna. As some of you probably know, this is a small little stand-alone cafe serving excellent cuisine off of a limited menu (kitchen's not that big!) and the pizza is easily some of the best I have ever experienced. As a native of a very Italian "suburb" of Boston and a former resident in Italy for 3 yrs, I can say that without a doubt it is "world class". I am not sure but would expect that the pizza at the main Sheraton Laguna restaurant would be equally good with same recipe, equipment, etc but don't know frankly because have never dined there. Just be aware that the Canal Village cafe is only open til 6pm daily so don't plan a dinner there (maybe a good reason to go to the Sheraton resto). By the way, excellent cappucinos and FREE WiFi internet access are also good reasons why I go there (although I got addicted to their pizza long before the WiFi started).

Silk Restaurant in Surin - expensive, but absolutely magic place to be.

• Like 1

I think lists like these are dangerous (very personal) and very quickly outdated. Look at the Green Man, I have not heard anything good about the place in the last year.

BTW. Green man and Don's are not in Kata, Ratri is in Kata and not in Karon. (changed by mod. thanks)

If the Roadhouse is before Simon Cabaret on the way from Patong to Karon, it has to be in Patong and not Karon. (changed by mod. thanks)

I think the Family restaurant moved. (need someone to confirm this please)

• Like 1

The Royal Ban Tok in Kathu.

On the road to kathu water fall.

Run by ywo Belgium guys.

Maybe a little bit expensive but excellent service and food. ( lot of food which you normally only find in Holland or Belgium )

Looks like you sit in an european house restaurant.

The restaurant building is also there house so you sit next to the swimming pool.

• Thanks 1

I think lists like these are dangerous (very personal) and very quickly outdated.

as i stated above, the recommendations are purely from members on this website, i have no personal interest in any of them.

The Royal Ban Tok in Kathu.

On the road to kathu water fall.

Run by ywo Belgium guys.

Maybe a little bit expensive but excellent service and food. ( lot of food which you normally only find in Holland or Belgium )

Looks like you sit in an european house restaurant.

The restaurant building is also there house so you sit next to the swimming pool.

Sorry Sorry Sorry. :o

It is not the Royal Ban Tok but THE ROYAL NAM TOK. ( or in English the Royal Water Fall )

Please change in the list.

You must try Sala Mexicali it's really different a mix between mediterranean and Mexican food. Very high quality cuisine at very reasonable prices. It's only open late afternoons and evenings. It is located near the Lemon gas station same side about 2 kilometers from the circle in Chalong on the way to Rawai.

LiveSteam

• 2 weeks later...
Checked yesterday, Family restaurant did move, is now on the same road after the post office on the left hand side (direction Rawai).

just did the Chicken schwarma pita there. Not to be missed ! Spicy sauce, excellent.

Chalong: Bagels and beyond doesn'texist anymore

Anchor Inn: Chalong Circle left side on the way to the pier: European and Thai food, delicious and reasonable priced.

Mr. India: Chalong Plaza: good Indian food oK prizes.

Hayaek restaurant: little thai kitchen on the way to Kata just after the circle right hand side. Really good Thai food and seafood, very chaeap.

Fattys: the one you have under the name sanook is called fattys now

Rawai/Nai Harn: Banana Corner has a good variety of Thai food(nice things to try you don't get everywhere) and western food

Laem Promthep restaurant is a thai restaurant with nice view over Nai Harn Bay

Kata: The Coffeepot: The best Steak House on the island in Kata centre Thaina Rd.. Try to finish "the beast" 1000g of ribeye! Awesome!

There is so many good restaurants out there, just not enough space in my belly :o

Edited by thaibutty

Chalong: Bagels and beyond doesn'texist anymore

Anchor Inn: Chalong Circle left side on the way to the pier: European and Thai food, delicious and reasonable priced.

Mr. India: Chalong Plaza: good Indian food oK prizes.

Hayaek restaurant: little thai kitchen on the way to Kata just after the circle right hand side. Really good Thai food and seafood, very chaeap.

Fattys: the one you have under the name sanook is called fattys now

Rawai/Nai Harn: Banana Corner has a good variety of Thai food(nice things to try you don't get everywhere) and western food

Laem Promthep restaurant is a thai restaurant with nice view over Nai Harn Bay

Kata: The Coffeepot: The best Steak House on the island in Kata centre Thaina Rd.. Try to finish "the beast" 1000g of ribeye! Awesome!

There is so many good restaurants out there, just not enough space in my belly :o

Great input, I have one disagreement with you.

Banana Corner-way overpriced Thai food and quality inconsistency. I once had a Massaman Curry that was all oil, disgusting, and I think they dinged me like 160thb...... Thai food geared for farangs. When you don't know that across the street the same dish goes for 70thb I guess ignorance is bliss.

addition for Patong:

Barbecue Hut on 200 year road. On your way out of town toward Karon/Kata, lefthandside about 150 meters before you make the left toward Karon/Kata.

I had some great Mexican food, the guy sitting next to me had a MASSIVE plate of barbecued ribs that looked and smelled great. Also on the menu were some stupendous hamburgers, which I will have next time.

Nok Young also disappeared from Nai Harn yonks ago and Lorenzo's went from the beach as one of the Tsunami casualties. Best Thai food in this area is at Areu Corner at the junction of Saiyuan road and the Nai Harn/Rawai turnoffs.

Nok Young also disappeared from Nai Harn yonks ago and Lorenzo's went from the beach as one of the Tsunami casualties. Best Thai food in this area is at Areu Corner at the junction of Saiyuan road and the Nai Harn/Rawai turnoffs.

Don't know if it is "the best" but Areu Corner does have some good food.

I had a duck laab there one time that was really good !

Update on Barbecue Hut-the burger was not so good. Weird meat...........I'll stick with the mexi and barbecue items there from now on.

I've got two new favorites in Kata:

Sorrento Restaurant & Pizzaeria -- excellent selection of Neapolitan-style pastas and homemade pizzas, plus free ice cream. It's just a short walk inland from Dino Golf.

Orchid Restaurant -- in Kata Noi, across from Kata Thani Resort. Good prices, awesome potato salad and the banana-and-cheese sandwich is to die for (60 baht with french fries).

I didn't care for the Chicken Cordon Bleu at Diamond Cottage Resort & Spa in Kata (across from Andaman Coffee Company near Buffalo Steakhouse and Dino Golf). It was way too small, for one thing -- I've been spoiled by the HUGE portions at Fatty's in Chalong (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, by the way).

I've got two new favorites in Kata:

Sorrento Restaurant & Pizzaeria -- excellent selection of Neapolitan-style pastas and homemade pizzas, plus free ice cream. It's just a short walk inland from Dino Golf.

Orchid Restaurant -- in Kata Noi, across from Kata Thani Resort. Good prices, awesome potato salad and the banana-and-cheese sandwich is to die for (60 baht with french fries).

I didn't care for the Chicken Cordon Bleu at Diamond Cottage Resort & Spa in Kata (across from Andaman Coffee Company near Buffalo Steakhouse and Dino Golf). It was way too small, for one thing -- I've been spoiled by the HUGE portions at Fatty's in Chalong (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, by the way).

Funny, just had a chicken cheese burger at Fatties. Love the salad dressing there.

Fatties was recommended to me by a good friend. We tried it out last year. Service was not so good, the huge dog (on huge chain) inside the restaurant, slobbering at my table was a bit strange. The owner was sitting reading his newspaper and made no attempt to talk to us, even though we were the only 2 customers. I had a basic burger which looked good, but had so much salt inside that I could not even half finish the burger. No-one asked why I did not finish my meal. Verdict.... never been back.

Fatties was recommended to me by a good friend. We tried it out last year. Service was not so good, the huge dog (on huge chain) inside the restaurant, slobbering at my table was a bit strange. The owner was sitting reading his newspaper and made no attempt to talk to us, even though we were the only 2 customers. I had a basic burger which looked good, but had so much salt inside that I could not even half finish the burger. No-one asked why I did not finish my meal. Verdict.... never been back.

Hi LivinginKata,

you are absolutely right, the service there is nothing to write home about. I've seen the owner, plus dog too, neither entirely friendly unless they know you already, not anything that bothers me much. I have not had the "basic burger" so cannot comment, but the chicken cheeseburger, fries and salad for 95thb is a good deal.

Also, I saw an ostrich steak with what looked like a pepper sauce, and a side of hash browns that looked really good.

If you are in the area give it another go, maybe when they were mixing up the hamburger batch you had, the top fell off the salt.

• 2 weeks later...
I think that the best (italian) restaurant in Kata (and South Phuket) is Capannina.

Beautiful pizza (wood fire oven) and huge portion of best quality pasta and meat. Always busy.

It run also now when a lot of restaurant are closed...

I agree, just a bit pricey.

New one for Rawai area, The Kitchen Grill. They have a burger for 100thb that is the bomb.

Also, way reasonable prices on New Zealand beef.

Give it a go!

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know if it is "the best" but Areu Corner does have some good food.

I had a duck laab there one time that was really good !

Update on Barbecue Hut-the burger was not so good. Weird meat...........I'll stick with the mexi and barbecue items there from now on.

Would also like to second (or is that third) Areu Corner. Good food and excellent service and still gets full in the low season. Nice garden location with "open" kitchen. Food seems to be cooked from scratch so, if the restaurant is full when you arrive, you'll be in for a long wait for your food.

Donna - you may like to amend re Salaloy. You don't have to sit on the stone tables by the beach. Across the road there are undercover tables (not stone) and complete with tablecloths(!) Great Thai food there IMO.

I've checked back on this post a couple times and gone out to try these restaurants for myself, not a bad list I must say.. Except for one thing, I am amazed you have all missed Big Mike's just off of chalong circle on the way to Kata. burgers are excellent, by far the closest you will get to home. The chili dog and onion rings are reason enough to make the trip to chalong no matter where u stay in phuket. I eat there atleast 3 times a week(which could explain the 3 kilos ive put on since discovering this hidden gem) i would definitly go check the place out. the owner is a nice young canadian kid who just loved thailand so much he didnt want to go home, hes doin a great job running it.. Tell him Rob sent you, maybe ull get a discount. :o

And grab a milkshake to go.