List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

Oh I had a terrible dining experience at LIM's. They must have been short staffed so the owner took our order. I ordered something , forgot what it was.. I think some kind of pomelo salad. When he brought it out it had shrimp on it, and I said in the menu it didnt say shrimp.

Well they had 1 without and 1 with.

I said well I didnt say with shrimp and he said I didnt say without and didnt even replace it. he was rude and arrogant and the food was mediocre.

I was in Patong in the Summer of 2002. I went to a place called "Scruffy Murphy's" - a British-themed bar with Celtic music. Is it still there? I loved meeting so many wonderful people there, including a few Thais. It was, aside from a few other places that were traditional Thai out toward Phuket Town, a real nice "comfort" place.

Went recently (twice), to Baan Rim Pa (lunchtime and evening). Food OK, but nothing special. Service on both occasions nothing special either. Prices do not represent either the product or the service. They are a joke. Location is nice, but the tables nearest the sea difficult to get. I did wander next door to Joe's Downstairs, which was a combination of plastic chairs and silly bar prices (anyone for a 350 baht tin of Guinness???). Better for both food and service is Mom Tri's Kitchen at Kata Noi. Other good quality/value for me is the set lunch menu at Mom Tri's Boathouse (no, I don't have any affiliation with either establishment, just telling it as I find). Perennially good for me is Kan Eang next to Chalong Pier. Great views, attentive service, fresh food etc. Also very good is The Family, next to The Park at Rawai. Been there a couple of times recently to try their Shawarma's. Good, though not exceptional, and definately excellent value for money.

After reading comments on here and on Jamie's Phuket Blog, I took the family to BBQ Hut in Patong last night for a birthday meal. I am afraid that the food was absolutely dreadful!

I had the combo so tried various items. The ribs were bland and dry. The smoked beef was as tough as a lump of leather. The barbecued chicken was overcooked and hard. The sausage had the texture of cardboard and the taste of spicy swimming pool chemicals. The beans were simply not very nice and the only decent thing about the whole meal was the country fries. The whole party agreed that the food was extremely poor.

The bill came to 1600 baht for five of us (including a three year old) so not expensive but not exactly cheap by Thai standards either.

Maybe it is a low (sorry, summer!) season thing but I will certainly never go back there.

After reading comments on here and on Jamie's Phuket Blog, I took the family to BBQ Hut in Patong last night for a birthday meal. I am afraid that the food was absolutely dreadful!

I had the combo so tried various items. The ribs were bland and dry. The smoked beef was as tough as a lump of leather. The barbecued chicken was overcooked and hard. The sausage had the texture of cardboard and the taste of spicy swimming pool chemicals. The beans were simply not very nice and the only decent thing about the whole meal was the country fries. The whole party agreed that the food was extremely poor.

The bill came to 1600 baht for five of us (including a three year old) so not expensive but not exactly cheap by Thai standards either.

Maybe it is a low (sorry, summer!) season thing but I will certainly never go back there.

Hi Madmitch,

I don't know the story but the food there has for sure gone downhill.

I had a couple of good meals there (went because of the reviews here) about six-eight months ago, but went back about three weeks ago and received the same as you, terrible food. I just about dislocated my jaw on the beef, my motocycle tire would have been more tender.

Maybe the owners have gone home for the low season?

Went recently (twice), to Baan Rim Pa (lunchtime and evening). Food OK, but nothing special. Service on both occasions nothing special either. Prices do not represent either the product or the service. They are a joke. Location is nice, but the tables nearest the sea difficult to get. I did wander next door to Joe's Downstairs, which was a combination of plastic chairs and silly bar prices (anyone for a 350 baht tin of Guinness???). Better for both food and service is Mom Tri's Kitchen at Kata Noi. Other good quality/value for me is the set lunch menu at Mom Tri's Boathouse (no, I don't have any affiliation with either establishment, just telling it as I find). Perennially good for me is Kan Eang next to Chalong Pier. Great views, attentive service, fresh food etc. Also very good is The Family, next to The Park at Rawai. Been there a couple of times recently to try their Shawarma's. Good, though not exceptional, and definately excellent value for money.

Baan Rim Pah... as you say prices are a joke. But it is quite funny. I wonder how long it can last now that Tom has passed away. He used to make portions deliberately small so customers would order more - say you order fish you get half a fish. He used to go to the Oriental Thai restaurant and complain that prices were too low. And he would be packed out every night.

The chef at Joe's was recently awarded a 'best chef on Thailand' award, which only goes to show how generous Tom was.

If you are going to Chalong while I'd admit Kanaeng 'aint bad' why not try Parlai almost next to the zoo.

Don't know if it's been covered or not, but the BLT at the Black Cat in Cherngtalay is pretty nice - always crisp and tasty. The service there seems to be consistently good and the prices reasonable. The only downside is the parking - you have to park along a major road where the traffic is a bit fast, so look out for that before opening your door.

Perennially good for me is Kan Eang next to Chalong Pier. Great views, attentive service, fresh food etc.

You're going to the wrong Kan Eang. The people in the know (which is many) go to Kan Eang 2. Much better location, better food, at I think, a cheaper price.

Kan Eang 2 busy every night, Kan Eang 1 always quiet.

Perennially good for me is Kan Eang next to Chalong Pier. Great views, attentive service, fresh food etc.

You're going to the wrong Kan Eang. The people in the know (which is many) go to Kan Eang 2. Much better location, better food, at I think, a cheaper price.

Kan Eang 2 busy every night, Kan Eang 1 always quiet.

I'm aware of (I think the original, and hence Kan Eeang 1?) the other of their restaurants, however the recommendations I have from people who do go there regularly, is (I'll call it the 'Pier') restaurant is better, though more expensive. Personally, I tend to eat out at lunchtime rather than at night, and the Pier is usually quite busy on the days I've been there, between 1200 and 1400. Usually possible to get a table next to the sea wall though, and good shade under the trees.

Where I did go last Sunday, was Sri Panwa for lunch. Very nice location, with the main restaurant now being in the pool area, but the ambience is not of a 'pool bar/restaurant', definitely an upmarket restaurant. Had excellent Japanese style steak, with ginger mashed potatoes, and the little lady had a sushi dish which also looked (and she tells me tasted) very good. Expensive, but a pleasant afternoon in relaxed surroundings. The service wasn't that good though, everything very slow, which was surprising given the few people that were there. My double espresso at the end was almost cold by the time the accompanying double Remy arrived. Generally I'm never a great fan of Hotel based restaurants, however I would go to this one again. Interestingly and unusually, I discovered that quite a few of the staff are Malaysian, maybe because of their English language skills.

Having never gone to KE 1 I cannot comment but KE 2 has always been an enjoyable experience. I heard it was getting a makeover & wondering if anyone has been there lately to see if prices have increased & if standards have changed.

Having never gone to KE 1 I cannot comment but KE 2 has always been an enjoyable experience. I heard it was getting a makeover & wondering if anyone has been there lately to see if prices have increased & if standards have changed.

I was at KE2 a few nights ago and they have made the bus tourist zone enclosed now and it looks nicer.  Supposedly they have concerts in there.  Food and service seemed about the same as in the past.  Can't say as far as price as I didn't look at the menu, nor did I look at the bill as the wife took care of that.

Hi Madmitch,

I don't know the story but the food there has for sure gone downhill.

I had a couple of good meals there (went because of the reviews here) about six-eight months ago, but went back about three weeks ago and received the same as you, terrible food. I just about dislocated my jaw on the beef, my motocycle tire would have been more tender.

Maybe the owners have gone home for the low season?

Hmm, surprised to see negative comments about the BBQ Hut in Patong.

I have been there 5 or 6 times now in the last 3 months (normally once a fortnight) with the last time only last weekend and have always had good food. I have only ever ordered the ribs (different cuts) but have never been disappointed. Loads of meat, succulent, and nice side orders.

Staff have always been the same so I don't think anyone has left for the low season.

Give the full rack of ribs a try. :)

Well, just got back from CHA CHA CHA, a latin American bar and restaurant joint. By the Phuket Gazzette office. I know South American food very well. I had the best ropa vieja and bandeja paisa ever. Better than most Miami latino restaurants. He also has the tex mex stuff and a killer SA style rice pudding. And for those who know, he has yuca as well.

Edited by Somtamnication

Re the bbq Hut in Patong. The Japanese American owner is never there, always shooting videos for Tata Young. His wife is in charge and the last time I had the rack of ribs, it was as tough as leather. It has gone downhill for a long time. The owner needs to wake up and show up once in a while for some QC work in the kitchen.

And get rid of those horrible 150B plastic chairs.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Tharmachart Restaurant in Phuket City? I've read reviews that this is a place for good food at reasonable prices. (plus the out of wack ambience).

Appreciate if someone can advise.

Cheers.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Tharmachart Restaurant in Phuket City? I've read reviews that this is a place for good food at reasonable prices. (plus the out of wack ambience).

Cheers.

Thamachart/natural restaurant is excellent. Been going there for 7 years and still great food at good value prices. Service is good, but at times a little slow but hey TIT. Highly recommended.

Thamachart/natural restaurant is excellent. Been going there for 7 years and still great food at good value prices. Service is good, but at times a little slow but hey TIT. Highly recommended.

Yes there is lots of strange food for the eyes & well worth a visit.

Thammachart/Natural restaurant.

I've been a dozen times or so over the years.

I'd say the food is above average.

The prices are average.

The decor and ambiance are pretty good.

The service though is 'hit and miss'.

Food can come sporadically. Oddly, you can get your main dish MINUS the rice - and wait an age for the rice to come!

Waiting for rice <deleted> in Thailand !!

I've also had to send the bill back on a number of occasions as it was clearly a work of fiction.................

Would i go again? Yes, if a group of people were going and it wasnt me suggesting it.

Would I choose to go there? No, possibly not...........

An update would be worthwhile though as in fairness it's been more than a year since i've been.

LIM's has been serving Modern Thai Food

huh? Clarification on what that is please?

It is - for example - Green Curry with young squid stuffed with minced pork and herbs. They were very proud of the creation, and I was not very amused by the taste (better not talking about the price)... :)

Just attach another one: I love the food at "Laab Kata", about opposite of the temple in Kata, next to the entry to Patak Soi 1. Som Tam and Moo Yaang, Yum Plaa Dook Foo are just great there, so if you are into Isaan food... (excuse my spelling of Thai Food names here)

(Edit: Completed street name)

Edited by hkt83100

"Something Different" 500m before Icon Club in Rawai, Something Different is a small place on the left side going towards Icon from Nai Harn, good cheesecake and other sweets, I have not tried the mains but have heard its good, the cheese cake and apple crumble has been my choice on both visits.