Farang Population In Nakhon Sawan

madyakka

As people seem interested in Nakhon Sawan I thought I would add this to Madyaka's post and hope he does not mind :D

Where to go and What to do

:o Eating, drinking and dancing on an evening. :D

Not a definitive guide.

I will state here and now that the opinions given here are personal opinions of myself and friends who frequent these places regularly. They are meant as a guide for those who might wish to visit and not to be taken as fact.

Moon Beautiful - Restaurant near Sawan Park.

English / Thai music with 2 bands playing. Not too loud & in your face. Food good. Open until 4 a.m. Usually piped music after 1 a.m. Big screen + 2 smaller tv's for sports etc. Has 1 air con room with large screen tv. Staff has large turnover but service is usually good. Sometimes food not quite what ordered. Beer reasonable prices. Same for mixers.

Brod Aird - Near Sawan Park

Seating at tables with an inside balcony upstairs. 2 bands playing. Music mainly Thai with the odd English song. Rock / Heavy / Medium. Loud!! Food Good. Beer / mixer prices fair. Some staff talk English. Efficient and friendly service. Thais more Farang friendly here too. Tables usually have enough free before 10 p.m. Can book tables for up to 8 / 10 people if you can speak Thai. (They usually remove reservation at 10 p.m. or so). Has 1 large screen visible from balcony or right side (as you enter). Good age range here. Very busy after 10-15 p.m. or so.

Clubhouse - Near Sawan Park

A nightclub. More a place for the younger ones say under 35. 1 band (sometimes 2) playing. Thai music. Loud!! Staff not so efficient. Entry fee 100 Baht. Use ticket for 1st drinks. Usually empty mid-week. Weekend can be very busy. Prices good. Food OK but not the best by far in our experience.

Pimarn Hotel :-

Collection Pub

A quieter place. Usually 2 bands play. Often 1/3 Farang Music. Somewhere comfortable for the older minded people. Music medium volume. Now Expensive compared to other places. Friendly staff. Menu in English / Thai. Some staff speak Thai. Clean and tidy. Large screen tv + smaller tv. Very good service. Can book table.

D&D

For younger people. More a nightclub. Good Thai music. Staff friendly. Expensive. Need I.D. (No I.D. = no entry). The only place so far that I have experienced any violence (that was Thai on Thai).

Ban Konwan

Generally under 35's. Good live music. Very busy - especially after 10 p.m. Often no tables available after 10-30 'ish. Service good to indifferent. (indifferent for Farang when busy in our experience). Expensive. Food often warm, not hot. Staff friendly. Thai people here also seem friendly to Farang.

Ban Suan Hotel

Food reasonable. Staff often slow. Few speak English. Prices OK. Music more Thai Folk / Country. has 2 tv's. Not a place to spend a full evening. Has 1 large air con room with large screen tv.

Bandisan - Near Soi Taitong

A Fish based restaurant. No music. A few staff speak English. Very popular with Thai people.

Mai Son (Coffee Shop) - Near Bansuan Hotel (on the corner opp new 7/11)

Small. Very cheap. Not so tidy. But friendly. Has 4 piece playing country / folk type Thai music. Not loud. Mainly Thais. We find a good place to start before moving on. Little English spoken.

Paradise Club - Near Sawan Park

Not an obvious place. Plenty of Ladies singing - often in short skirts etc. (you get the drift). Ladies will come sit at the table for a small renumeration. Very quiet midweek. have rarely been on a weekend so do not feel I can comment. Staff very friendly & efficient. Food good. Prices OK..

There are plenty of other restaurants on the river. One travels up and down the river while you eat.

Numerous other places to eat and drink that I am not familiar with or have visited once or twice so do not feel I can make a personal comment on.

I have omitted the several other places where you can drink, listen to ladies singing and have ladies entertain you. One where they dance on the tables. Another where 'further down the hall' you can go and book a lady for a short time.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if it wasn't for the free beer last time, I probably wouldn't have talked to you either. :o

Oh well, it's approximately 18 days till I'm back home to Nakhon Sawan.....will be my turn to have to cold ones ready to be consumed. Get the welcoming crew together for a meet-up; just not in town.

I'm counting down the days and building up a thirst!

Very informative Intumult,after coming here for 8 years and now living here I have only been to a couple of those places so time to try a couple methinks,

The new books arrived the other day so we now have new and 2nd hand books available as well as over 800 international magazines available to order so pop in and say hello,we are open 9am-9pm 7 days ,next to the new ECC building on Dawadung rd.

regards

Madyakka :o

Very informative Intumult,after coming here for 8 years and now living here I have only been to a couple of those places so time to try a couple methinks,

The new books arrived the other day so we now have new and 2nd hand books available as well as over 800 international magazines available to order so pop in and say hello,we are open 9am-9pm 7 days ,next to the new ECC building on Dawadung rd.

regards

Madyakka :D

Not that I get out a lot on an evening :o

Hmmm, international mags. Why do I immediately think 'Playboy'? Must be my dirty mind :D

I'll be in there this week. Looking forward to a browse. Got some books I have read and need some new material. Saves me a trip to BKK.

Hi all

That's great, I hope the bookshop is a real success!

No doubt I'll be a customer!

I will be moving to the area in 2010 when I retire.

I'll be there for a months holiday each December- January.

Hope to see some of you then.

Cheers

John

Hi John,nice of you to pop by and give me those books,it was very kind and I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip when perhaps we can have a beer and a chat,

regards

Madyakka

I will be opening a bookshop in Nakhonsawan with a modest selection of english books to begin with but will be expanding all the time so stop by for a coffee and a chat,the coffee will be free and dont feel obliged to buy anything.Its in Daowadung rd next to the new ECC building,across the rd and down from

Tsutaya video shop.

It should be open in 3 weeks hopefully so come in and say hello

Cheers

Dave :o

Is your shop open? If so, congratulations! If you ever need any books or magazines at great prices we would love to help you. Check out our inventory at: www.megabooksthailand.com

regards

Will you be able to get hold of the UK publication "Private Eye"..??

regards

Will you be able to get hold of the UK publication "Private Eye"..??

Hi Bullfrog,yes I can get the UK private eye for you,

regards

Madyakka

Good News..Thanks.. :o

Where exactly are you?..My knowledge of NSN is twofold..1. The Larb huts at the Beginning/end of the ringroad and 2. Driving in from the North and doing a U Turn into Big C!!!

BTW you don't drive one of those 4 wheel sand hoppers do you??

Hi Bullfrog,we are on Daowadung rd which runs from Fairyland,a small shopping mall in the centre of town up to wat Killiwong which is the temple on the hill that overlooks the city,we are about 300m from the traffic lights at Matuli and Daowadung rd next to the new ECC school.

Coming from Kampang phet turn left at the first large junction as you come into Nakhonsawan,go straight and through the next set of lights,The temple on the hill should be on your left and also a large Buddha,at the next set of lights turn right onto Daowadung rd we are 300m on the left next to ECC.

Coming from Phitsanalok,after crossing the bridge go through the first set of lights, turn left at the 2nd set,go straight past the big Buddha and turn right at the lights,we are 300m on the left next to ECC.

hope this helps Bullfrog and no I dont drive a sandhopper,see you when your down this way.

regards

Madyakka

Hi Bullfrog,we are on Daowadung rd which runs from Fairyland,a small shopping mall in the centre of town up to wat Killiwong which is the temple on the hill that overlooks the city,we are about 300m from the traffic lights at Matuli and Daowadung rd next to the new ECC school.

Coming from Kampang phet turn left at the first large junction as you come into Nakhonsawan,go straight and through the next set of lights,The temple on the hill should be on your left and also a large Buddha,at the next set of lights turn right onto Daowadung rd we are 300m on the left next to ECC.

Coming from Phitsanalok,after crossing the bridge go through the first set of lights, turn left at the 2nd set,go straight past the big Buddha and turn right at the lights,we are 300m on the left next to ECC.

hope this helps Bullfrog and no I dont drive a sandhopper,see you when your down this way.

regards

Madyakka

How about coming in from Auckland on 24th December?

Edited by billd766

regards

Madyakka

How about coming in from Auckland on 24th December?

Good to see that there is still a Kiwi presence in NS - just don't mention the world cup :o

I am sure I met a few of you guys in the Big C foodcourt last time I was there - sorry for the big tip to the beer girls last time as now raised local expectations :D

Looking to visit again in December so will have to catch up for a beer again - last time in NS was a bit crazy - don't know if you remember all that drama about the brit who ended up in hospital when in his infinite wisdom brought on the wrath of the local army boys by stabbing a thai in the cafe. Whatever happened with those people involved - any arrests? As I recall he was a soccer coach or something...

For all of you who care (yes; both of you!), I'm back in Nakhon Sawan.

I owe khonwan some beer.

And I have 4 questions:

1) Where is a competent computer store? Looking for a case that will accept E-ATX.

2) Where is CAT's office. I'm so sick of GPRS up here I'm ready to kill someone.

3) Where does everyone buy their electronic gear. I'm looking at getting the missus a new TV and am not impressed with the selection at Big C.

4) When are we going to get a get-together going on?

I owe khonwan some beer.

And I have 4 questions:

1) Where is a competent computer store? Looking for a case that will accept E-ATX.

2) Where is CAT's office. I'm so sick of GPRS up here I'm ready to kill someone.

3) Where does everyone buy their electronic gear. I'm looking at getting the missus a new TV and am not impressed with the selection at Big C.

Love to but I am in New Zealand until the end of the year when I am back for a couple of weeks holiday.

I owe khonwan some beer.

And I have 4 questions:

1) I don’t know what E-ATX is but I use a small PC supply/repairs shop in Lat Yao.

2) I wonder if you mean TOT…if so, Lat Yao

3) Makro, Muang Nakhon Sawan

4) Anytime that suits you.

Cheers

Khonwan

I owe khonwan some beer.

And I have 4 questions:

1) I don’t know what E-ATX is but I use a small PC supply/repairs shop in Lat Yao.

2) I wonder if you mean TOT…if so, Lat Yao

3) Makro, Muang Nakhon Sawan

4) Anytime that suits you.

Cheers

Khonwan

CAT Telecom is next to where one pays electricity. Not much use now as they have taken out most of their internet terminals.

I got my broadband from TOT (road next to Pimarn from the north) 1000 THB/m. U(seless)BC from the other side of Pimarn road entrance. I say useless because it purports to show Rugby but unless it's England it changes it's billing. Sometimes even if it is England!

TV's etc you can get from Makro or the electrical store opposite Big C heading into NS about 200 m on left (can't remember the name as I've only lived hear for 7 years).

It's usually best for the Brits to keep away from each other otherwise you tend to get the "football" syndrome when a group occurs. I met a Welsh prat in Bic C bar once who (as an ex welsh army asshol_e) said he would take me out in 2 minutes for some inane (drunken Welsh) reason. I asked why he would take so long? He backed off as everyone was laughing at him and his Thai wife had gone through loss of face. Sad.

There are lots of reasons why people live here and the uninformed should therefore treat others with respect and not enter into a conflict. Jai dee.

It's usually best for the Brits to keep away from each other otherwise you tend to get the "football" syndrome when a group occurs. I met a Welsh prat in Bic C bar once who (as an ex welsh army asshol_e) said he would take me out in 2 minutes for some inane (drunken Welsh) reason. I asked why he would take so long? He backed off as everyone was laughing at him and his Thai wife had gone through loss of face. Sad.

There are lots of reasons why people live here and the uninformed should therefore treat others with respect and not enter into a conflict. Jai dee.

Fair comment, I have experienced this in a number of occasions and not just in this country, I normaly just laugh it off, but being from the UK myself I dont like the image pratts like that give us and its good to see them get what they deserve. However! Even the hostile skirt wearing clans north of the border such as myself :o dont all display "football syndrome" when in company,drunk or otherwise.

regards

madyakka

I have been here for 4 years but before that lived in Issan for 8 years ..with a previous wife..The farangs seem different here..much less willing to strike up a friendly conversation ....

Bloody hel_l Bullfrog NOW look what you have started!! :o

Mr Ikea or may I call you Hungl?( Is that Welsh or Swedish?), I am also ex Army ... 16 bloody years in the Sigs...I can assure you Flight is always my preference so it wasn't me you bumped into..hahaha..I am also half Welsh ( The good half)..so I get to support two shitty Rugby teams ...but thats not as unlucky as being a Jock of course.. :D:D

Hope to see you all at Xmas!!!

CAT Telecom is next to where one pays electricity. Not much use now as they have taken out most of their internet terminals.

I stay way out in the sticks, not quite as bad as some Nakhon Sawan residents, but far enough I have no clue as to where you pay for electricity. Also, I ran some speed tests, and actually when it works (i.e. I have a signal or it hasn't slowed to a crawl) I get pretty decent Edge speeds. However, I want something more stable and it seems that CAT's EV-DO is just the ticket since they don't have as large as a user base. Plus there's a CAT tower some 8 Kilometers from where I live.

I got my broadband from TOT (road next to Pimarn from the north) 1000 THB/m. U(seless)BC from the other side of Pimarn road entrance. I say useless because it purports to show Rugby but unless it's England it changes it's billing. Sometimes even if it is England!

It's the same way with American baseball....if they're going to show a game it's going to be the NY Yankees or nothing. In fact I've caught some games where they'll even ONLY show the Yankee's half of the inning!

TV's etc you can get from Makro or the electrical store opposite Big C heading into NS about 200 m on left (can't remember the name as I've only lived hear for 7 years).

I've purchased a nice 32" JVC LCD in the shop on the top floor of Lotus. Was a (in my mind) good price at 19K baht and includes 1080p. I'll probably end up purchasing some real hifi equipment in Bangkok where there are authorised Infinity and Onkyo dealers.

First time I came to Thailand I was hanging with a couple of Brits. Well, at least till they were drunk; I was astounded at the complete change in caracther. I've since noticed that it seems to be a widespread problem. At least with Americans, if they're <deleted> when they're not drunk, you'll know that they'll stay the same way when they get on the sauce. If they seem to be pretty mellow usually than you're good to go with getting a drink or two in with them. As a general rule of course. Caveat emptor, et al. Makes me wonder; what nationality does most of the expats comprise of.....guess that's a new thread with a poll.

I have been here for 4 years but before that lived in Issan for 8 years ..with a previous wife..The farangs seem different here..much less willing to strike up a friendly conversation ....

Mr Ikea or may I call you Hungl?( Is that Welsh or Swedish?), I am also ex Army ... 16 bloody years in the Sigs...I can assure you Flight is always my preference so it wasn't me you bumped into..hahaha..I am also half Welsh ( The good half)..so I get to support two shitty Rugby teams ...but thats not as unlucky as being a Jock of course.. :D:D

Its only unlucky to be a jock if you still have to live there! :D

regards

Madyakka

I have been coming to Nakhon Sawan for 8 years now and on my first trip here I spoke to a guy in town who said there were 6 farangs who lived here permantly.8 years on I now live here and see more and more farangs around town and big c etc.

Could anyone hazard a guess at how many of us live here?

regards

Anglo/Scots (Scottish being the better half) so I have a dilemma come the Calcutta cup! Hopefully things will change for the better next season.

Its the same with the WC..Wales always show more promise but mess it up when the going gets tough and England..well...not alot you can say about them that hasn't been said before.. :o

Is there any decent places in NSN to watch rugby..i.e. like getting a satellite feed from South Africa???..The Super 14s should be on during Xmas shouldn't it??.. :D

Hi all im in the uk now trying to sell a house at the wrong time,still i can't wait till i come to live in NS for good (uk is the pit's)it would be great to meet up with some of you guy's for a beer or 3,i'm going to build some shops to rent out as my girlfriend owns some land.ok i will look out for any farang's next time at big c and say hello.

bye for now

bluejagy