Farang Population In Nakhon Sawan

madyakka

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Refering to Gary's email, isn't there a banking law now that says a foreigner can no longer have a atm withdrawal card unless he has a work permit?

The reason i ask is that i opened my account with Siam city bank some 3 years back at a branch on Samui. Recently i went to my local branch in Phaisali to [quite logically as i thought] transfer the account to the local branch.

Just forget it! they wanted me to go to the atm outside, withdraw all my money, bring it into the lady i was dealing with, give it to her and open a new account! i suggested she tried using the computer on her desk to simply affect a transfer.

She finally agreed and i said 'will i still use my old atm card or will you give me another one?... she looked baffled... 'you have an atm card?' to which i replied 'yes i do it's on the desk in front of you'

This is where it all became monty pythonish... 'you cant have a card, you will have to come into the bank to withdraw money over the counter'... 'er, what if i'm in the middle of bangkok at midnight with no money?'....'make sure you have enough! you can't have an atm withdrawal card because you're a foreigner!'

In the land of smiles i was starting to lose mine... 'but i already have a card..look! it's there in front of you!...

'well you can't have another if you change to this bank... not unless you have a work permit, because you have no money coming in'.. she then proceeded to show me something written in thai to verify this, i then explained i had a retirement visa and a pension letter accepted by immigration showing my monthly pension... 'no! work permit!'

I then asked what would happen if i lost my card or it stopped working for some reason, could i come to that bank and obtain a replacement?... 'no! go to samui!'

needless to say i wandered out the door.

anyone throw any light on the bank rules re atm cards?

also madyakka..sorry not been to the shop yet, have been laid up with some [quite nasty] bug.

Refering to Gary's email, isn't there a banking law now that says a foreigner can no longer have a atm withdrawal card unless he has a work permit?

The reason i ask is that i opened my account with Siam city bank some 3 years back at a branch on Samui. Recently i went to my local branch in Phaisali to [quite logically as i thought] transfer the account to the local branch.

Just forget it! they wanted me to go to the atm outside, withdraw all my money, bring it into the lady i was dealing with, give it to her and open a new account! i suggested she tried using the computer on her desk to simply affect a transfer.

She finally agreed and i said 'will i still use my old atm card or will you give me another one?... she looked baffled... 'you have an atm card?' to which i replied 'yes i do it's on the desk in front of you'

This is where it all became monty pythonish... 'you cant have a card, you will have to come into the bank to withdraw money over the counter'... 'er, what if i'm in the middle of bangkok at midnight with no money?'....'make sure you have enough! you can't have an atm withdrawal card because you're a foreigner!'

In the land of smiles i was starting to lose mine... 'but i already have a card..look! it's there in front of you!...

'well you can't have another if you change to this bank... not unless you have a work permit, because you have no money coming in'.. she then proceeded to show me something written in thai to verify this, i then explained i had a retirement visa and a pension letter accepted by immigration showing my monthly pension... 'no! work permit!'

I then asked what would happen if i lost my card or it stopped working for some reason, could i come to that bank and obtain a replacement?... 'no! go to samui!'

needless to say i wandered out the door.

anyone throw any light on the bank rules re atm cards?

also madyakka..sorry not been to the shop yet, have been laid up with some [quite nasty] bug.

If you are having problems with that branch, switch to another. Or better yet, create an account with Kasikorn. I have yet to encounter a problem with any Kasikorn branch I've been in; they seem to be the most Western in their approach to clients (and by Western I am attempting to equate them with American banks....).

• 2 weeks later...

There is a group of us farangs that play golf on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the Jiraprawat Golf Course just south of Nakhon Sawan – we certainly welcome new additions. We usually tee off between 9 and 10 A.M. Just drive up, look for a friendly farang face and introduce yourself.

If you are not familiar, the Jiraprawat Golf Course is part of the Jiraprawat Army Base but is open to the public. The army base is 2 traffic lights south of the river on the west side of Route 1. Turn west at the light and drive towards the base entrance; take the road prior to the entrance south for about 1 mile; the course is on your left.

Everything is very reasonably priced as it is subsidized by the military. Green fees for 18 holes, caddy fee and tip will run 500 baht for members, slightly more for nonmembers.

Hope to see some new faces soon.

Ken Adams

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm heartened to see an active group of foreigners in the Nakhon Sawan community. Just wondering are there any 'female farangs' around as well? I'm not farang or Thai but Asian female. I would love to relocate to NS but it seems that getting work here or setting a small business is very difficult for an Asian lady like myself. Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers,

Dee

I just discovered this site, I have been living in the Nakohn Sawan area for about two years now, Ban Phot Pisai, to be exact. I have just browsed the thread and am wondering if anything has been set up for a farang gathering in N.S. I would like to get to know a few english speaking people in this area, also9 would be interested in some golf.

There is a small group of us who play golf on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings at the Jiraprawat Golf Course. We usually tee off between 8:30 and 10 A.M. depending on when we get a foursome together. New faces are most welcome.

The Jiraprawat Golf Course is part of the Jiraprawat Army Camp just west of Route 1, two traffic lights south of Nakhon Sawan. Turn left just before entering the base; the golf course is about a mile south of the base entrance.

Green fees are very reasonable; 500 baht for 18 holes and caddy (including tip) for members. Slightly more for non-members.

Which immigration office You are using while staying in Nakhon Sawan? Which is nearest?

Was just wondering when somebody will respond to this question... :D:o

I am on a retirement visa and presumed the only choice for 90 day reporting was Maesot?? :D

I just used the new Thai Immigration Office in Ayutthaya for my 90 day reporting. It took all of 2 minutes only because the officer had difficulty locating one the required stamps. Annual visa renewal can also be done at this office.

If you have Google Earth, the GPS coordinates of the office are 14°20'53.64"N 100°35'52.54"E. It is located within the stadium grounds across the street from a 3 story building on the south side of the stadium field. No signs other than on the building itself.

Which immigration office You are using while staying in Nakhon Sawan? Which is nearest?

I am on a retirement visa and presumed the only choice for 90 day reporting was Maesot?? :D

I just used the new Thai Immigration Office in Ayutthaya for my 90 day reporting. It took all of 2 minutes only because the officer had difficulty locating one the required stamps. Annual visa renewal can also be done at this office.

If you have Google Earth, the GPS coordinates of the office are 14°20'53.64"N 100°35'52.54"E. It is located within the stadium grounds across the street from a 3 story building on the south side of the stadium field. No signs other than on the building itself.

Bloody excellent information..Thanks..Any idea of office opening times???

Bloody excellent information..Thanks..Any idea of office opening times???

I really didn't pay any attention to office hours but I would think it would be the normal Thai government office times of 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. with 8 hours off for lunch and breaks. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Next week I do visarun from Nakhon Sawan to Mae Sot. Any idea of VIP bus timetable? I know one starts 12.30 but is they any before noon?

I am afraid I don't have this info but would love it if you wrote a quick report on how things went..( If you are doing a reporting visit that is)

Edited by The Bullfrog

Actually I had done this already two times. First time I took car and driver from my village because my gf want to come and see around. Second time I went alone but I took ordinary bus to Tak and minibus from there to Mae Sot. Anything in border went quickly, in and out 15 min. No need for photo, only pay 500b in Burma. They stamp Your passport in and out as You wait. Came back VIP bus, 200b to Nakhon Sawan and I think it takes about 5 hour.

There is 3 VIP bus on morning and 3 in evening, Mae Sot - Bangkok. Now I just want to know what time these stop in Nakhon Sawan

Ok, here is little something about my visarun. First bus starts 12.30. So I took 9.30 VIP bus to Tak, 122b. From there minibus to Mae Sot, 56b. In Mae Sot I took room in DK hotel, 450b air with hot water. Fan room, no hot water in shower was 290b(?). Morning took tuktuk to border. Lady in immigration gave me rough time, I don't know why. Asked me several questions about my stay in Thailand. And that was when I was going out. Burma side it was nice and easy, in to the office, 500b and two stamps to passport, 2min max. Back to thaiside and same lady, now nothing, only wanted I put my telephone number on arrival card. Tuktuk waited me so next to busstation. First bus to Bangkok starts 8.00, second 8.30 and third 10.30. Evening first starts 19.00, second 20.00. After that I think there are maybe 5 or 6 bus between 15 or 30 min starting time, last leaving 22.00(?). 10.30 was for me, 189b and back in Nakhon Sawan 3 afternoon.

post-49774-1227236018_thumb.jpg

Minibus Tak - Mae Sot

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Nakhon Sawan citizens,

My wife is from Nakhon Sawan, we will be returning with our newborn daughter sometime next year.

I was wondering how does one find property/land in Nakhon Sawan, is there an estate agent or website where property/land for sale is listed?

I've looked a little bit but not found anything so far.

Thanks

Regards

Arran.

As far as I am aware some of the Banks list properties but I know of no 'Estate Agencies'. I'll double check tonight.

Most property I have seen for sale is by driving around and looking at the For sale signs.

Apart from that, there are a few new building projects underway in town and on the outskirts.

A drive up Soi Taitong will lead you to two housing developments, both close to each other. Decent houses. Were 1 million Baht upwards but I am not sure of current prices. They do have an estate office there. A few Foreigners live up there.

Maybe someone has their telephone number.

• 4 weeks later...

As my wife is from Tatako in N.S. province we visit from the UK once every year or so. I wish I'd seen this thread before our last visit over Christmas as I would have liked to meet some farangs from the area.

Like yourself ArranP, we have a young daughter (18 months) and eventually plan to live there, though may be a few years yet. And like yourself I couldn't find any housing on the net for N.S., I think the best way is to check local banks for house adverts and just drive around if you can.

We put a deposit on a small house in a new build housing estate (well, in my sis-in-laws name). I will post that as a seperate topic.

Cheers,

Robin.

• 2 weeks later...
In 6 weeks we will stay in Nakhon Sawan. I like to ask if anyone know a place to rent a car in Nakhon Sawan

Wieb

I have asked Thai friends and they do not know of anywhere to rent a car in N.S.

Looks like Tuktuks or motorcycles to get about. Although there are plenty of Baht buses, even further out from town. A quick enquiry will get you the information on what colour Baht buses go where.

In 6 weeks we will stay in Nakhon Sawan. I like to ask if anyone know a place to rent a car in Nakhon Sawan

Wieb

In 6 weeks I will be away so you can rent my Mitsu pick up only done 45000k and regularly serviced and it is insured. No PS so keeps you fit! PM me if interested. How long are you here for?

Wieb

I will still be here after all, I leave March 24. As you are a 'newbie' you can't PM any way so I await your reply. BTW you can't hire a bike or car here.

Thanks for reply

I arive in thailand on 5 march , first i stay till 21 march in Nakhon Sawan , then i will visit some friends in Phuket for a week and come back to Nakhon Sawan with some friends. I go back to Holland on 25 April

Hi Guys.

A young newbee here... Looking for some advice.

I'll be on my first trip to Nakhon Sawan in middle of February, for about a week.

One of my biggest concerns are gym's (I'm a fitness fanatic), do they have any, tried to look everywhere on the net, but somehow, I've only noticed a possible Gym in one of the hotel's (Pisarn, I think), and another gent, who asked the same here at Thaivisa, but without a real reply.

I don't expect a Tony's Gym (Yup, I'm from Pattaya), but thought they might have a decent gym (from what I can see, the city is not that small)

My lady is from Phaisali, but I'm not sure I'm gonna go all out this time (met her mum before), cause I've heard, that you are practically the future husband when going to their village, so I'll prefer to stay in the city of Nakhon Sawan, where I'm also planning to settle the missus, while I'm going home to take care of business (work, appartment and visa) after being a TEFL'ER here for about 3 years.

Leading me to my second question.

While I'm gone I'd like to set her up, in some school, read earlier in this Thread that you have an ECC up there, is that the only kind of language school? Or do you have more?

Anyhow, hope you can help me out, maybe even recommend a hotel/appartment room in town.

Thanks alot Cheers.

Hoping for some replies.

Dan

Edited by Danjel

My last trip too Nakhon Sawan, I tried to find the bookstore owned by madyakka but could not find it. I tried to look up map on google but still could not locate it or the ECC school. Could you give me directions there coming from area of Pimarn Hotel, as that is the only place I am familiar with in NS city except Big C. Also, my girlfriend has house in Mae Wong. It is small Thai style house with usual bathroom and I was thinking of paying to install western toilet and shower. Anyone have any idea what is trhe usual local cost for this? Thank you.

Hi

I'm young and living, i.e, still alive, in NS. Working here at the Raj. university.

The Thai run language schools here in NS are not worth the ground they're built on.

Everyone is trying to get their fair share of the over paid babysitting industry here. Classes are made up out of choraling and other repetitive BS.

Colleague of mine just told me that ECC is even worse. Well don't want to discourage you but there's not much here when it comes to schools. Why do you want to set her up with some sort of school around here? why not teach her yourself?

Anyways, PM me if you want some more info on jobs in NS or Language schools. Don't want to openly bash the system too much on the Internet.

Fritz

Hi Guys.

A young newbee here... Looking for some advice.

I'll be on my first trip to Nakhon Sawan in middle of February, for about a week.

One of my biggest concerns are gym's (I'm a fitness fanatic), do they have any, tried to look everywhere on the net, but somehow, I've only noticed a possible Gym in one of the hotel's (Pisarn, I think), and another gent, who asked the same here at Thaivisa, but without a real reply.

I don't expect a Tony's Gym (Yup, I'm from Pattaya), but thought they might have a decent gym (from what I can see, the city is not that small)

My lady is from Phaisali, but I'm not sure I'm gonna go all out this time (met her mum before), cause I've heard, that you are practically the future husband when going to their village, so I'll prefer to stay in the city of Nakhon Sawan, where I'm also planning to settle the missus, while I'm going home to take care of business (work, appartment and visa) after being a TEFL'ER here for about 3 years.

Leading me to my second question.

While I'm gone I'd like to set her up, in some school, read earlier in this Thread that you have an ECC up there, is that the only kind of language school? Or do you have more?

Anyhow, hope you can help me out, maybe even recommend a hotel/appartment room in town.

Thanks alot Cheers.

Hoping for some replies.

Dan

Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well to be honest, I've got fed up with TEFL industry, so I've decided not to touch it anymore.

Where is the University located, the one you work at?

Well, the reason I've decided to put her up there, is that I feel it's a bit safer than, down here in Pattaya, plus she only has M.3, I'd like her to study to get the M.6 (would look alot better on her visa application, plus her staying in NS and not Pattaya).

Do you have any suggestions, where or what I could put her up for in NS. She's 23, so it would be a bit cruel to enroll her to High School with 16 year olds, but if there's no other way... She talked about that they do have some classes, for girls/ladies like her, who've been taken out of school a little too soon.

About the gym, you have any in NS?

Thanks alot for your help and suggestions.

Regards

Daniel

My last trip too Nakhon Sawan, I tried to find the bookstore owned by madyakka but could not find it. I tried to look up map on google but still could not locate it or the ECC school. Could you give me directions there coming from area of Pimarn Hotel, as that is the only place I am familiar with in NS city except Big C. Also, my girlfriend has house in Mae Wong. It is small Thai style house with usual bathroom and I was thinking of paying to install western toilet and shower. Anyone have any idea what is trhe usual local cost for this? Thank you.

go out, turn left.

Dual carriageway, turn left.

1st U turn & come back up 600 metres or so.

Turn 1st left (road takes you past Bon Bon - on left, BBQ's - on right, go round bend to T junction (7/11 on right)

Turn left at T junction.

Book shop on right abt 500 metres up. (on left is video hire shop.). If you reach the traffic lights at the top of the road you have gone too far :o

HTH.

Thanks for reply

I arive in thailand on 5 march , first i stay till 21 march in Nakhon Sawan , then i will visit some friends in Phuket for a week and come back to Nakhon Sawan with some friends. I go back to Holland on 25 April

You are welcome to hire it if you wish. Are you used to manual RHD cars? How long would you want to rent it for?

There is (or at least was) a gym down by Sawan Lake, not sure of the exact cost but peanuts anyway.

Not very good with NS street names, but try this:- at the end of the Lake/park near Dawadeong Road, facing the big hospital with the lake/park on your right and a string of karaokes/bars on your left, where the eating places finish and the bars start it's about there.

If you scratch around on the net there are a few maps of NS.

There are plenty of rooms for rent at about 1500 baht per month near the big NS school at the top of Dawadeong, perhaps pm me nearer the time and i'll get my thai speaker to speak to yours (or vice versa).