BANGKOK 17 August 2019 20:50
Sign in to follow this  
madyakka

Farang Population In Nakhon Sawan

Refering to Gary's email, isn't there a banking law now that says a foreigner can no longer have a atm withdrawal card unless he has a work permit?

The reason i ask is that i opened my account with Siam city bank some 3 years back at a branch on Samui. Recently i went to my local branch in Phaisali to [quite logically as i thought] transfer the account to the local branch.

Just forget it! they wanted me to go to the atm outside, withdraw all my money, bring it into the lady i was dealing with, give it to her and open a new account! i suggested she tried using the computer on her desk to simply affect a transfer.

She finally agreed and i said 'will i still use my old atm card or will you give me another one?... she looked baffled... 'you have an atm card?' to which i replied 'yes i do it's on the desk in front of you'

This is where it all became monty pythonish... 'you cant have a card, you will have to come into the bank to withdraw money over the counter'... 'er, what if i'm in the middle of bangkok at midnight with no money?'....'make sure you have enough! you can't have an atm withdrawal card because you're a foreigner!'

In the land of smiles i was starting to lose mine... 'but i already have a card..look! it's there in front of you!...

'well you can't have another if you change to this bank... not unless you have a work permit, because you have no money coming in'.. she then proceeded to show me something written in thai to verify this, i then explained i had a retirement visa and a pension letter accepted by immigration showing my monthly pension... 'no! work permit!'

I then asked what would happen if i lost my card or it stopped working for some reason, could i come to that bank and obtain a replacement?... 'no! go to samui!'

needless to say i wandered out the door.

anyone throw any light on the bank rules re atm cards?

also madyakka..sorry not been to the shop yet, have been laid up with some [quite nasty] bug.

Refering to Gary's email, isn't there a banking law now that says a foreigner can no longer have a atm withdrawal card unless he has a work permit?

The reason i ask is that i opened my account with Siam city bank some 3 years back at a branch on Samui. Recently i went to my local branch in Phaisali to [quite logically as i thought] transfer the account to the local branch.

Just forget it! they wanted me to go to the atm outside, withdraw all my money, bring it into the lady i was dealing with, give it to her and open a new account! i suggested she tried using the computer on her desk to simply affect a transfer.

She finally agreed and i said 'will i still use my old atm card or will you give me another one?... she looked baffled... 'you have an atm card?' to which i replied 'yes i do it's on the desk in front of you'

This is where it all became monty pythonish... 'you cant have a card, you will have to come into the bank to withdraw money over the counter'... 'er, what if i'm in the middle of bangkok at midnight with no money?'....'make sure you have enough! you can't have an atm withdrawal card because you're a foreigner!'

In the land of smiles i was starting to lose mine... 'but i already have a card..look! it's there in front of you!...

'well you can't have another if you change to this bank... not unless you have a work permit, because you have no money coming in'.. she then proceeded to show me something written in thai to verify this, i then explained i had a retirement visa and a pension letter accepted by immigration showing my monthly pension... 'no! work permit!'

I then asked what would happen if i lost my card or it stopped working for some reason, could i come to that bank and obtain a replacement?... 'no! go to samui!'

needless to say i wandered out the door.

anyone throw any light on the bank rules re atm cards?

also madyakka..sorry not been to the shop yet, have been laid up with some [quite nasty] bug.

If you are having problems with that branch, switch to another. Or better yet, create an account with Kasikorn. I have yet to encounter a problem with any Kasikorn branch I've been in; they seem to be the most Western in their approach to clients (and by Western I am attempting to equate them with American banks....).

Hi,

Back in Nakhon Sawan next weekend. Anyone who wants to drop by for a beer at dusk is welcome. Can PM me.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Chris.B

There is a group of us farangs that play golf on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the Jiraprawat Golf Course just south of Nakhon Sawan – we certainly welcome new additions. We usually tee off between 9 and 10 A.M. Just drive up, look for a friendly farang face and introduce yourself.

If you are not familiar, the Jiraprawat Golf Course is part of the Jiraprawat Army Base but is open to the public. The army base is 2 traffic lights south of the river on the west side of Route 1. Turn west at the light and drive towards the base entrance; take the road prior to the entrance south for about 1 mile; the course is on your left.

Everything is very reasonably priced as it is subsidized by the military. Green fees for 18 holes, caddy fee and tip will run 500 baht for members, slightly more for nonmembers.

Hope to see some new faces soon.

Ken Adams

Hi all,

I'm heartened to see an active group of foreigners in the Nakhon Sawan community. Just wondering are there any 'female farangs' around as well? I'm not farang or Thai but Asian female. I would love to relocate to NS but it seems that getting work here or setting a small business is very difficult for an Asian lady like myself. Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers,

Dee

I just discovered this site, I have been living in the Nakohn Sawan area for about two years now, Ban Phot Pisai, to be exact. I have just browsed the thread and am wondering if anything has been set up for a farang gathering in N.S. I would like to get to know a few english speaking people in this area, also9 would be interested in some golf.

There is a small group of us who play golf on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings at the Jiraprawat Golf Course. We usually tee off between 8:30 and 10 A.M. depending on when we get a foursome together. New faces are most welcome.

The Jiraprawat Golf Course is part of the Jiraprawat Army Camp just west of Route 1, two traffic lights south of Nakhon Sawan. Turn left just before entering the base; the golf course is about a mile south of the base entrance.

Green fees are very reasonable; 500 baht for 18 holes and caddy (including tip) for members. Slightly more for non-members.

Which immigration office You are using while staying in Nakhon Sawan? Which is nearest?

Was just wondering when somebody will respond to this question... :D:o

I am on a retirement visa and presumed the only choice for 90 day reporting was Maesot?? :D

I just used the new Thai Immigration Office in Ayutthaya for my 90 day reporting. It took all of 2 minutes only because the officer had difficulty locating one the required stamps. Annual visa renewal can also be done at this office.

If you have Google Earth, the GPS coordinates of the office are 14°20'53.64"N 100°35'52.54"E. It is located within the stadium grounds across the street from a 3 story building on the south side of the stadium field. No signs other than on the building itself.

Which immigration office You are using while staying in Nakhon Sawan? Which is nearest?

I am on a retirement visa and presumed the only choice for 90 day reporting was Maesot?? :D

I just used the new Thai Immigration Office in Ayutthaya for my 90 day reporting. It took all of 2 minutes only because the officer had difficulty locating one the required stamps. Annual visa renewal can also be done at this office.

If you have Google Earth, the GPS coordinates of the office are 14°20'53.64"N 100°35'52.54"E. It is located within the stadium grounds across the street from a 3 story building on the south side of the stadium field. No signs other than on the building itself.

Bloody excellent information..Thanks..Any idea of office opening times???

Bloody excellent information..Thanks..Any idea of office opening times???

I really didn't pay any attention to office hours but I would think it would be the normal Thai government office times of 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. with 8 hours off for lunch and breaks. :D

Next week I do visarun from Nakhon Sawan to Mae Sot. Any idea of VIP bus timetable? I know one starts 12.30 but is they any before noon?

Next week I do visarun from Nakhon Sawan to Mae Sot. Any idea of VIP bus timetable? I know one starts 12.30 but is they any before noon?

I am afraid I don't have this info but would love it if you wrote a quick report on how things went..( If you are doing a reporting visit that is)

Edited by The Bullfrog

Actually I had done this already two times. First time I took car and driver from my village because my gf want to come and see around. Second time I went alone but I took ordinary bus to Tak and minibus from there to Mae Sot. Anything in border went quickly, in and out 15 min. No need for photo, only pay 500b in Burma. They stamp Your passport in and out as You wait. Came back VIP bus, 200b to Nakhon Sawan and I think it takes about 5 hour.

There is 3 VIP bus on morning and 3 in evening, Mae Sot - Bangkok. Now I just want to know what time these stop in Nakhon Sawan

Ok, here is little something about my visarun. First bus starts 12.30. So I took 9.30 VIP bus to Tak, 122b. From there minibus to Mae Sot, 56b. In Mae Sot I took room in DK hotel, 450b air with hot water. Fan room, no hot water in shower was 290b(?). Morning took tuktuk to border. Lady in immigration gave me rough time, I don't know why. Asked me several questions about my stay in Thailand. And that was when I was going out. Burma side it was nice and easy, in to the office, 500b and two stamps to passport, 2min max. Back to thaiside and same lady, now nothing, only wanted I put my telephone number on arrival card. Tuktuk waited me so next to busstation. First bus to Bangkok starts 8.00, second 8.30 and third 10.30. Evening first starts 19.00, second 20.00. After that I think there are maybe 5 or 6 bus between 15 or 30 min starting time, last leaving 22.00(?). 10.30 was for me, 189b and back in Nakhon Sawan 3 afternoon.

post-49774-1227236018_thumb.jpg

Minibus Tak - Mae Sot

Hello Nakhon Sawan citizens,

My wife is from Nakhon Sawan, we will be returning with our newborn daughter sometime next year.

I was wondering how does one find property/land in Nakhon Sawan, is there an estate agent or website where property/land for sale is listed?

I've looked a little bit but not found anything so far.

Thanks

Regards

Arran.