Yasothon Garb

MaaSawng

So who's seen Yam Yasothon and knows what's up with the style of dress used for the movie?

I'm just curious as to the meaning or context in which that particular style of clothing is used for (what I assume to be) comic affect. Is it an exaggeration of an Issan style adaptation of an old BKK fashion?

Also, I frequent the Bun Baan Fai there and see some of the people who dress up in-costume wearing similar outfits.

As a side note: What are the translations and transliterations for "yam"? 'Smile'? 'Hello'?

If you've not seen the movie, go out and purchase a DVD with English subtitles. It's pretty dam_n funny IMHO.

So who's seen Yam Yasothon and knows what's up with the style of dress used for the movie?

I'm just curious as to the meaning or context in which that particular style of clothing is used for (what I assume to be) comic affect. Is it an exaggeration of an Issan style adaptation of an old BKK fashion?

Also, I frequent the Bun Baan Fai there and see some of the people who dress up in-costume wearing similar outfits.

As a side note: What are the translations and transliterations for "yam"? 'Smile'? 'Hello'?

If you've not seen the movie, go out and purchase a DVD with English subtitles. It's pretty dam_n funny IMHO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yam_Yasothon

I liked that movie as well. The over-saturated colours are similar to Citizen Dog. The movie is set in the 1960s in Yasothorn province in NE Thailand so they speak Isaan dialect throughout and there are Thai subtitles for the Thais, in addition to English subtitles for the non-Thai speakers.

Yam แหยม is just the name of the male leading character in the movie, played by the Thai actor/director/comedian Mum Jokmok หม่ำ จ๊กมก.

The literal translation of the movie's name would be Yasothorn Yam, but the English title is Hello Yasothorn. Maybe there's some Thai wordplay or pun involved in the movie's Thai name as well, which I haven't got yet.